Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You can set a phone up as a hotspot for the online check in my case I use my prepay all you can eat data phone for this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New Nintendo Specific Call Of Duty Studio?

Job listing on LinkedIn for a lead UX designer for a brand new studio that Infinity Ward are opening, right next door to Retro Studios in Austin, Texas. The job listings only went up after Microsoft announced that Call Of Duty games would be coming to Nintendo systems, whether it's Switch or future platforms. They said they were committed for the next 10 years. There's already at least 5 former Nintendo employees already at this new studio. When Activision ported their COD games to DS, Wii and Wii U, they created a specific studio for these. This may be what is happening again.

Job listing from yesterday, Senior Environment Artist (Retro Studios).

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/senior-environment-artist-retro-studios-at-nintendo-2939765818

"In the midst", and given the job title, Metroid Prime 4 is possibly another 4 years away from release. Though they do say for the Nintendo Switch, but they would have to say that. It's not like they could reveal it's being developed for the successor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seeing the words 'in the midst' and jumping to the conclusion that the game is 'possibly four years away' is an extraordinary leap, to be fair.

It's an entirely standard job advertisement for an ongoing senior job at a large studio. I wouldn't read anything substantial into it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You ought to be in the Olympics for how far you've jumped off the back of a single job listing 😂

Why am I not surprised by some reactions here? I'm sorry, how many new games have Retro Studios released in the past decade?

0! Zero! ZERO!

They weren't even the first choice when it came to making Metroid Prime 4. Retro Studios are a renowned developer in name only nowadays. The vast, vast majority of staff who made the Prime series are long gone. Hell, those who made the Donkey Kong games have left. Almost every other day there's a video from ex Retro Studios employee talking about either franchise. Nintendo have been recruiting people for Retro Studios on a non-stop basis for years, I believe to get them back up to scratch and capable of doing this beloved series justice. The job titles positions they've advertised for as well aren't for a game that is due for an imminent release. And it's not just one job position. There's been numerous posts in the last month alone. Maybe Nintendo are thinking this recruitment can help with whatever other projects Retro Studios have been working on and struggling with. Kill 2 birds with the one stone.

I could talk about way more issues with this game, but that's enough for now. "Midst" means in the middle, and I said "possibly".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s still just a completely innocuous job listing that tells us absolutely nothing about of note about Metroid Prime 4’s development :)

Saying “in the midst” is as generically vague as anything. They could have said “in active development of…” and it would have meant the exact same.

It’s not like they’ll say “approaching the end of developing” or anything that gives a timeframe. There is no special meaning to read into with that job posting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aside from anything else, I'm sure manys a game company have hired for various Proof of Concept projects and whatnot; how many prototypes and vertical slices have we heard about long after the idea was shelved?

The proof of the pudding will be a trailer and release date - and even then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Previous Metroid Prime games had teams of somewhere between 40 and 50 people. Based on that, 1 vacancy (whether it's "we need additional skill in this area" or replacing someone who's leaving) is not a smoking gun of any kind, no matter how desperate you are for some Nintendo news to fixate on...

It's not just one job though, in the past 2 weeks Retro Studios have advertised for 16 different jobs.

Fair enough - maybe lead with that next time, yeah? 🙂

Assuming those are all roles associated with MP4's development... Yeah, it might have an effect. But without knowing:

• How far along the project is
    • How many people they had before (is this added resource to meet a deadline or replacing a number of departed staff)
    • How long those posts have been needed/vacant

I still think it's premature to say that MP4 will be another 4 years before release. It might be a sign of rough times for the project, but it might equally not.

Dunno about you, but on top of feeling like a reach, this is also IMO a resolutely uninteresting aspect of Nintendo to be chatting about...

Edit: jesus wept but NuBoards on mobile is an absolute two-flusher for formatting. Can't even fix it because of course not. Feh.

Post edited by Fysh on

Speaking of Metroid.

Spanish twitter user who leaked Metroid Dread in early 2021 hints at another 2D Metroid game by MercurySteam in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Every time I see it spelled Dread I think it's a misspelling 🤣

Damn you 2000AD

Sure it’s grand if Prime 4 is still a long ways out if we have another 2D Metroid in 2 years. MercurySteam might end up putting out more Metroid games than Retro.

Metroid Dread did a lot of things very well, but I'll never finish it because that final boss battle had an absolute hum of "git gud" that I'm not interested in entertaining these days. I'd be open to another 2D game by Mercury Steam but by god if they do one I hope they don't try and add any more actions to the control scheme, I already felt like I was running out of hands with some of the actions in Dread! (I have a particular hate for any game that uses "click the thumbstick to activate running", amongst other things...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I am enjoying this utopia where we're not left waiting a decade plus between Metroid entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jj880

Edit: bollix wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wish this was purchasable outright :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Probably my earliest gaming memory. Vaguely remember playing this on a neighbour's (I think) commodore 64 when I was about 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It was a no-brainer at the time to pick a playstation over an N64. Playstation had much cheaper games, far more selection. The CDs were less troublesome than the cartridges if I can remember correctly, or at least they were seen as being more "the way to go"

I remember being at a classmates house and he was the only person who had a nintendo rather than a playstation. I remember looking at the monstrosity that was the trident controller and thinking "how could you willfully pick this over a PS remote"

In hindsight, N64 did have arguably the best games ever made but they weren't the most child friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 realhudda

2023 and still playing old Nintendo games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Phew, was reading that post and was thinking of a rebuke until I read your last line! Totally redeemed yourself 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nintendo need to bring this to the Switch on cartridge ! Wide screen SMW. And not on the rent a snes service they have !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If I had a choice now to have an old playstation or an old nintendo I would 100% go for an old nintendo (but it may be because they are much harder to get!)

A lot of old PS1 games have aged poorly because by default they had 2 things going against them:

1. devs learning how to make games work in 3D
    2. graphics and engines that were not necessarily well-tuned to begin with and have aged poorly.

Having said that, on point 2 at least the Duckstation emulator has been fascinating to look at - I have a real soft spot for Jumping Flash!, one of few PS1 games I remember that is worthy of Nintendo in terms of sheer fun and charm, and Duckstation does a much better job of running it like how you remember it looking than anything else has managed. Similarly, if you run Silent Hill with it you can actually see what the posters on the walls look like rather than having them as a smudgy, blurred mess.

(Disclaimer: I did not own an N64 until sometime around 2010, when I bought one along with a few games to try it out, then got bored of it and donated it to charity. I generally feel that while some N64 games are amongst the best of that period, the whole transition to 3D aspect meant that many games haven't aged particularly well and I'm not pushed about revisiting them...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have both the N64 and PS, still do.

To be honest both consoles have lots of great reasons to own them, both at the time and now.

The PS had some seminal RPGs, racing titles, flight games and light gun titles.

Plus, it had Shmups galore, including The Raiden Project and Raiden DX, which are reasons to buy a PlayStation by themselves, not to mention Einhander.

The N64 had a treasure trove of 1st party games that still feature in top 20 titles of all time.

Jumping Flash and it's sequel were/are great. I've the Japan only third game in the series and it's bananas.

• Advertisement

It's a rumour for now.

I thought Sony had given up on E3 anyway. But it will be very disappointing if Nintendo don't attend. It's been a tradition for years. I know the last few years have been a mess due to COVID. It was a pain last year when E3 was cancelled and instead of the usual June Direct, Nintendo made us wait another 3 months until September. The one before that was 2nd February.

Edit: FFS, why is that Tweet in twice? I only put it in once and it won't let me delete either of them. This new site really is terrible.

Edit: There you go!

Post edited by CiDeRmAn on

Advertisement