Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Ah that changes things a lot. Great price for a 3 year warranty.

I did a quick scan of some 3rd party controllers and the Lidl controller looks like it is made by SnakeByte (or that seems to be the most popular branding). Heres a positive YouTube review of a red coloured variant. Seems to be a great word on it in the comments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You know the Switch has taken over the world when Lidl have switch related stuff. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The real question is if motion controls work with it

No motion control or HDRumble. Has "dual vibration". Trying to think for the motion control what games I used it for. Was definitely nice to have it for Zelda BOTW. I guess for 20 euro you cant have it all which is fair enough.

Ah I use motion all the time for FPS (for fine-tuning)... kinda got used to it rather than fiddling with the thumbsticks, but I guess this would be like going back to the PS4 for me :)

• Advertisement

Latest Nintendo console sales figures ..

Switch will overtake Game Boy soon.

God love the Wii U 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

N64 and GC deserve to be much higher on the list, didn't get the love they should have at the time. I think those of us that did have them, however, look back with fond memories. Especially the N64, such a revolutionary console.

Surprised the DS is so high, always thought the 3DS was the one that became the most popular.

Definitely time for a Switch 2 when a Pokemon game runs like **** on the switch.

From IGN (regarding the new Pokemon games)

The framerate is all over the place, dipping agonizingly low even when only a few effects such as flowing water or weather are on screen. Character models only a few feet away pop in and out, sometimes rapidly, or chug along at stop motion animation speeds. Everything has a weird, shimmery blur to it, and shadows frequently disappear and reappear suddenly and illogically. Pokémon clip in and out of walls or floors at odd angles, or get stuck in them entirely – I spent an entire Gym Battle with one Pokemon halfway buried in the floor. The camera will occasionally clip through mountainsides and give a full view of a video gamey void, sometimes ruining cool moments (like, for instance, the evolution of my Wooper). Everything lags all the time, from battles to menus to cutscenes. Two of our guides writers have experienced hard game crashes. It is, by far, the worst-running Pokémon game I have ever played, and among the worst-running AAA games I’ve played on the Switch so far. And yes, this is with the day one patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The new Pokemon games are not in great shape. Reviews are out now.

Seems to be 7 to 8 (out of 10) and plagued with technical issues.

• Advertisement

Nearly ordered pokemon violet for junior last weekend. I never preorder games but he was keen. Glad now I didn't. Hopefully they will fix it before Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've Scarlet ordered for my son for Christmas, hopefully these issues will be patched out by then.

Very poor of Nintendo to allow this out into the wild in such a state.

Poor form for sure. Looks like rushed out for the Christmas cash and very heavily marketed everywhere the last while. Im not up to date on Pokemon games but you'd think the Switch could handle them when you look at a game like BOTW. No pre-orders for me on any game from now on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I must admit there are some Switch games I want to play where I'll buy them but most likely play on an emulator - I keep reading how e.g. Astral Chain (which struggled at 30fps on Switch) runs smoothly even at 4K60fps emulated, and... If that experience is never going to happen on the official hardware, why bother? (To be clear, I'm very much advocating for buying the game first in this scenario - if I like a dev's games I want to contribute to them being able to make more games!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Sports Story, something I was looking forward to, has some issues that might require waiting for a patch:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A bit mind boggling for a game that was announced 2-3 years ago.

Golf Story was excellent and incredibly polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Rumoured Tears of the Kingdom branded Switch?

More images at the link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Might have been that stealth drop that precipitated it? Could be Nintendo leaned on the Devs to have a release ready for Xmas, forcing them to shunt out a broken build. The studio has said patches are incoming - though the lack of a map sounds a bit insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Hmmm does this tie in with the rumour that switch Pro for next year has been dropped in favour of ninty next gen 😎😎😎

I think we'd know about new Nintendo hardware by now, if it's going to be ready for BOTW2 launch.

But I also think BOTW2 is the perfect launch point for next gen Nintendo.

• Advertisement

So play on release or wait for new Switch where it'll likely play better?

I've a ton of games to play and not much time ... I've waited long enough for this game, so I might just wait longer and see what happens.

It's not going to feel as novel as the original game, especially on the same hardware ... but I'm really intrigued to see how it turns out.

Nintendo will really have to focus on gameplay and story to differentiate this from the original and the DLC. And they have had 6 years ... so it should hopefully be something special. If it's as fresh as the original then that will be an amazing achievement for them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What are everyone's thoughts about what the next iteration after the Switch might be? We've now had 3 generations with motion controls and 2 with a tablet/touch interface, so I can see those returning (possibly in a "you can connect a Switch to the new console" fashion). But what will be the sales pitch/"novel use of cheap/commodity hardware" for a new device that can go beyond the Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Switch Meta Quest Pro with launch day Metroid Prime 4(k) VR

... I can dream 🤣

The VR on Switch was pants but there's potential there. The games were just badly designed and the resolution was low but the Zelda VR mode wasn't bad. Next Switch could do a job on it with the better spec. A basic VR setup, proper first party headgear to sit the Switch into could be good. Then along with handheld/docking etc. all for 1 price could get a lot of interest.

Announced this year with release in 2024?

Oh and Happy New Year! Will play more games this year than last year. Though I say that every year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can never count Nintendo out when it comes to some eccentric design quirk defining their hardware. But they’ve hit a winner with the Switch and I’d be surprised if they stray too far with the successor.

My bet would be hardware more in line with the Steam Deck, although maybe a bit more powerful if they’re using the next gen chips. A screen upgrade (maybe not OLED as standard, but that would be nice) and a revision to the JoyCon design seem like no brainers. The big question is whether they can harness upscaling with the chipset they’re using. A Switch 2 that gives a good 4K image on a TV (although obviously not at the same performance or fidelity level as a PS5 or XBSX) would be very nice indeed. And some sort of enhanced backwards compatibility to give struggling Switch games a system-level performance boost would be very welcome too.

Yep, system level upgrade boost to 60 FPS, like MS did recently would be nice. But I don't think Nintendo would do this for free. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

A patent surfaced a few years back showing a handheld console with holes in the screen, so the thumbsticks and other inputs could poke through. The idea seemed to be that you could have dynamic UI prompts around the controls. It seemed neat and we do see notches in screens these days (like on Apple devices). To me that seems like an idea that could resurface.

A simple Switch-with-more-power would be out-of-step with all Nintendo’s new consoles since the Wii. I think they will try to have some unique control feature for the successor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And yet, when you look at the other handheld products on the market, like the Steam Deck, it really is a Switch with more power.

Like the smart phone, there is only so many ways to make a handheld device that plays games with physical controls.

The battery will be bigger, the OLED screen too, with smaller bezels for sure.

Probably a camera or two, built in and detachable controllers once again.

But, otherwise, they would be foolish to mess with a formula that has made them a lot of money and place the Nintendo name back on the same billing as Sony and Microsoft.

Remember what change for changes sake did for the WiiU, it sank their home console rep completely, and if not for the 3DS series they would have had no market presence again for years.

Advertisement