Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bit of a red flag that you excerpted rather than linked to the post... Ah but then, you wouldn't have been able to cherry pick a statement out of context to misrepresent the other poster's comments, in a standard anti vax tactic.

The post also contains this statement:

But what we factually know today based on the studies, is that those who were unvaccinated and infected are susceptible to severe diseases post infection and thanks to the separate study, the vaccinated, then infected are less susceptible to severe diseases post infection.

So I stand over all my comments in the previous post:

Nobody has said that specific study shows a difference.

And reject your deliberate attempt at deceptive misrepresentation.

This is the link to the full post - I think readers can make up their own minds on whose version of events is truthful.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

This is the link to the full post - I think readers can make up their own minds on whose version of events is truthful.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

An interesting episode with prof. Robert Clancy on immunology of mRNA vaccines. May be an interesting piece for those who are eager to understand how this technology actually works:

With roughly 260 publications in his field, he is considered one of the most regarded immunologists in Australia.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Goes through a lot of already disproven stuff then facepalms himself by pushing Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin (not in this video, but he was mentioned as the source for the Aussie politician who was ranting abut vaccines in their parliament) and pushes into big pharma dogwhistling.

It's a pity because it comes over as "learned" and a lot of people will buy into it as it can seem true and reinforce their own opinions and there is good information there around how they're developing cancer treatments.

Dr. Campbell has fallen a long way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah yes, long retired professor Clancy

"Newcastle University issued a statement in which it distanced itself from Clancy's views, mentioning also that the vice-chancellor had said the university did "not consider Robert Clancy a subject matter expert on COVID-19"

And Nurse Campbell is arguably less so, but he likes making videos to spam his conspiracies

• Advertisement

Wikipedia, some ‘solid’ research you have done.

“An Australian immunologist says he has had “the worst 24 hours” of his life, after getting caught up in the Craig Kelly COVID-19 controversy.

Liberal backbencher Craig Kelly was condemned by Prime Minister Scott Morrison yesterday for his “dangerous and irresponsible” Facebook comments on COVID-19.

The outspoken MP was also calling for the use of unproven drugs to treat COVID-19, and sighted the work of University of Newcastle immunologist Professor Robert Clancy.

Professor Clancy, told 6PR’s Liam Bartlett he does not agree with all of Mr Kelly’s views, but said the use of on hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin is highly effective.

“I have had the worst 24 hours of my life, I wanted to crawl under a rock,” he said.

“I have never met Craig Kelly, I don’t know Craig Kelly, and a lot of his views I don’t understand.

“The data is crystal clear … ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine are of significant benefit when used early in the disease.”

He said the controversial treatments have been used to “save lives” in other countries, but shouldn’t be used instead of a vaccine – rather together.”

Very weak attempt to discredit a man with a very solid track record in his field.

Yeah, Wikipedia knows best. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Nurse Campbell. From Youtube university of "just asking questions" with a PhD in vaccine contrarianism.

It isnt 'wikipedia' it is an actual official statement from the University referenced on wikipedia. To try to deflect this as 'wikipedia'is really desperate stuff.

He discredited himself with ivermectin and other nonsense.

You latch onto these cranks and expect people to be impressed by their credentials while running away from the crucial point that the overwhelming weight of expertise and credentials and studies back the consensus on covid and vaccines.

So if you start an 'argument from authority' and then contrarians like Clancy are your champion - you have lost in a landslide.

Desperate is your continuous editing of the post that has no relevance whatsoever.

If you dont think it is relevant why bother responding? So you disprove your own claim by your action.

Its obvious you feel you have to respond as the point stuck home buy you cannot debate the point itself below so have to resort to these kind of baiting remarks...

You latch onto these cranks and expect people to be impressed by their credentials while running away from the crucial point that the overwhelming weight of expertise and credentials and studies back the consensus on covid and vaccines.

So if you start an 'argument from authority' and then contrarians like Clancy are your champion - you have lost in a landslide.

• Advertisement

Not really. There are millions of doctors, medical professionals, physicians, vaccine experts and scientists in the world. Unfortunately a handful of them have, let's say, strange or controversial beliefs. I can post a video of a physician who believes there are magnets in the vaccines, a gynaecologist who claims vaccines are "poison", an osteopath who thinks there are "AI" microchips in the vaccines, a virologist and Nobel prize winner who believed Covid was man-made in a lab.

It's not a coincidence we see these same individual experts (and nurses) crop up time and time again from those who share similar beliefs.

At what stage do you think Nurse Campbell went from being an expert voice to be trusted to a crank with strange or controversial beliefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm old enough to remember his doomer days when he was the darling of this forum and anyone pointing out he wasnt an MD was a right wing extremist. Now he has changed his position after reviewing the evidence and living through the past few years and he himself is the right wing extremist according to those same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

He was never the Darling of the forum ! But he wasn't the promoter of rabid misinformation back then either . Must be lucrative for him somehow ...

Post edited by Goldengirl on

He's a nurse who's discovered he can get a lot more views by flirting with anti-vax quackery. It's very lucrative.

He may not have been the darling of this forum, but he was lauded in plenty of places. Not so long ago Nurse Campbell was an expert voice to be magnified to ensure correct and up to date information is disseminated. Amazing how times change.

Magnify the voice of experts: A key strategy for ensuring correct and up-to-date information is disseminated is to support the real experts to engage fully and regularly with the most popular information channels, even if these are more often frequented by a younger demographic. The way that United States academic Trevor Bedford has engaged with Twitter, and retired British nurse teacher John Campbell with YouTube during the current COVID-19 outbreak are excellent examples of this.

https://www.socialscienceinaction.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/SSHAP-Brief.Online-Information.COVID-19.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah and Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters were once respected journalists, your point?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I got my second booster last week (fifth dose - Pfizer with the adapted ba4-5) as high risk mid thirties.

I’ve had covid twice (most recently 5 months ago,) I’ve never been so sick after a vaccine. The previous ones had no affect on me, two days after getting the booster last week I couldn’t get out bed. Migraines and muscle fatigue were awful, was literally in bed dying to go to bathroom but couldn’t get myself up (I did eventually before you ask.)

Fairly awful experience, in hindsight I shouldn’t have bothered getting it. Having the virus itself is nowhere near as bad. Won’t be getting another booster, regardless of what my consultant said. Was out of action for at least 5 days

What booster did you get?

I know some people were hit hard by Moderna v Pfizer but usually with Pfizer the side effects diminish with each dose.

My first two doses were moderna. All others since then have been Pfizer. None of them previously made me sick at all.

It was the “Pfizer and adapted BA4-5”

• Advertisement

I was similar after the last booster, Pfizer , bivalent . Miserable with aches pains and fatigue for 48 hours and was starting to think maybe it was more than the booster side effects , when like someone had flicked a switch, I was better!

Had Omicron end of 21 . And you had it you say 5 months before the booster . Wonder if this effect is your body mounting a strong response because of the Omicron immunity which has not been challenged since the infection?

I am high risk also so would be good if that was it .

Just follow up on this.

I ended up in A+E this morning due to sharp chest pains and struggles with breathing throughout the night.

Doctor put it down to Pericarditis as a result of the booster. Scary stuff, felt like I was having a heart attack this morning. Symptoms likely to persist for next two weeks

im done with these vaccines now

Oh, really ?

Poor you, get well soon !

So what tests did they do on you to confirm that diagnosis ?

ECG, echosound, xray and blood test. One of the tests suggested such.

The doctor was very clear on the diagnosis and even stated they are extremely common at the moment with this latest patch of boosters.

antibiotics prescribes to help with the inflammation with strong painkillers and sleeping tablets as sleep is key to recovery (haven’t slept well since the booster.)

Pretty surreal experience. It’s one thing reading this stuff online and assuming it’s nonsense until it happens to you

Is it a temporary thing? If the inflammation clears up, is is all back to normal?

yes. Timelines vary though, the ED doctor stated my stats showed I was well above average fitness for someone my age so suggests it should clear up in a month or two.

fingers crossed

That sounds encouraging, best of luck and get well soon!

That certainly is surreal .

Pericarditis resolves quicker than myocarditis and js the better one to get , if there is such a thing !

Take it very easy...until they tell you to get moving again .

I presume they will be checking an echo etc again for you ?

Still vanishingly rare even if more awareness of it now .

Still vanishingly rare even if more awareness of it now .

Nice oxymoron.

• Advertisement

Advertisement