Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

So for another update:

I replied to UPS by email and Twitter outlining their obvious idiotic response and that I was holding them liable for theft/ loss.

The magic word seems to be “liable”. Once that got mentioned I got a call from the Cork depot telling me that the Bandon locker was out of order.

Obviously, if this was something that actually had occurred they would have communicated this to people that use the Bandon locker well ahead of this.

So the obvious thing here is holding UPS to account and mentioning the press and liability being in UPS’ side if you have stuck parcels. I’ve a feeling that it’ll work for balances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 justin.exe

Hi lads, signed up there to just speak on my own experience.

My experience with Support

So about two months ago a motel in the east cork area was giving me trouble as none of the doors would properly stay closed. I was walking up to it once and huge bit of wind opened pretty much all the doors. Packages in most of the doors as well. I could have easily robbed them, but I too was there to place a package.

I had to put my package into a door that would just not stay closed. I had to leave it there though as it needed to be posted off at that time. I closed it as well as I could and went off and contacted UPS on Phone. Their phone number plastered above the screen saying 'Need Assistance?'. Useless **** of a number if it's not even registered. I googled their ParcelMotel number, same one. Looked for a UPS Ireland one, bollocks of a voice mail asking to essentially email or if your a worker/vip ring another one. I then emailed and just like you all lot, no response. It's now been months.

Now here's what's gotten really annoying. There in start ish of January I took a package to my closest motel and scanned the code. It would do a loading symbol for bloody ages, then think the barcode was not valid at all. I scanned and manually typed the code many times. There was even another lad who was there before me with the same ****. I ended up going to another one 2.5 km away and it worked. I presume the motel was either full, or had a dodgy network connection to UPS's services? This happened twice by the way. I have no car so that walk was annoying to do back and forth twice, to both of the motel locations.

Basically, ParcelMotel has been in the **** bin for months. I wouldn't bother emailing, calling, or anything. If you want a refund here's what I've observed to be two ways from other members here. First of all, just don't bother emailing them a waste of **** time.

Topped up with PayPal

If you topped up with PayPal within the last month or two you can make a dispute that will instantly give you a refund. However, you might only be able to request a refund up to however much you paid in that transaction (e.g., likely a max of €11.85 or such). If you have multiple recent transactions that cover it, you could try doing the following on multiple transactions.

1. Go to a transaction and click on it and click "Report a Problem". You will be brought to the Resolution Center.
    2. Under 'Issues with your purchase' click 'I want a refund for some or all of the items in this order'.
    3. Fill in the Item 1 form with Name: 'Account Balance', Type: 'Service', Category: 'Other', Quantity: 1. Hit continue.
    4. Choose 'The service was canceled by the seller' and hit continue.
    5. Put '01/22/2023' as when the service was canceled and when you were supposed to receive the refund. This is when the service realistically stopped for us as users. Put the expected refund amount as the same amount you have in your account balance. I'm not sure if it let's you put over the amount you topped up by in that transaction (probably not).
    6. For the link to the refund or cancellation policy, just put a link to any news article about ParcelMotel's closure and hit continue.
    7. Answer truthfully if you reached out to UPS or not. Likely doesn't matter but I put yes and told them truthfully as to when I emailed them and how. I also stated 'The seller wasn't available' as the 'sellers response' field.
    8. In the last page of the form, I put images of my email, the homepage of ParcelMotel showing my name and account balance, and informed PayPal about the unresponsive behavior and the closure of ParcelMotel.
    9. You will now get the choice to choose where to receive a refund (card, bank, PayPal wallet). I chose back to my card.
    10. PayPal will instantly refund you the money, no quibble.

Nag them via regular Mail

The email seems to be completely ignored. Instead, one user here on boards has seemingly found that mailing them is the answer.

Request a refund and give them all the details they may need like your IBAN or PayPal email depending on where you want the refund, ParcelMotel Account Numbers or Email you used there, and so on.

Stamp and send the mail to:

Unit 5 Mygan Park

Jamestown Road,

Finglas East,

Dublin 11, D11 A729,

Ireland

What now?

Well, personally I've decided to delete/anonymize as much of my information from the service as I can. As for the phone number you can put 0800000000 as a 'valid' number to remove your own. The address you can have as either empty or a for each field.

I would ask them to remove my account and personal information entirely under GDPR if only they responded to their emails...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just got this email update from UPS

Dear Customer,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

We just want to inform you that we are currently receiving a higher number of requests than usual, but we are working hard to get back to you. We apologize for the inconvenience and as soon as we have processed your request, we will get back to you with a response.

Thank you for your patience!

Best regards,

The Parcel Motel team at UPS

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I got an email reply on my case /email to parcelmotelsupport@ups.com, so at least there is someone at the other side of the support email address.

Hi

• Can you please confirm what way you would like to be refunded? PayPal (please provide your PayPal email address) this is the quicker option.
    • Card (please register your card on your account, if it hasn’t being used at all or if hasn’t being used in over 6 months I will have to charge the card 3.25 this will be refunded the following day along with your balance )
    • Please confirm your PM number and amount to be refunded

Best Rgds

I too just received this email at 11:30 am today.

If anyone is curious this email was sent from ParcelMotel@circulator.com which is strange enough.

• Advertisement

Odd, mine was from

UPS IE PM Tracking  <parcelmotelsupport@ups.com>

The money is back in my paypal, so the support email route worked.

Definitely easier to do the "Report a Problem" paypal route though (if you topped up within the 180 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

I see they eventually updated the website, homepage is now:

"Dear Customer,

Please be informed that decision has been made to cease the Parcel Motel services. Lockers in locations across Ireland will no longer be operational from 31 January 2023.

For customers with an outstanding balance on their Parcel Motel account, or pending credit or refund, please reach out to parcelmotelsupport@ups.com no later than 23 March 2023. Please include your PMID, and whether you want your money to be paid out via PayPal or bank card.

For other questions or concerns, please reach out to us for additional support. We have a higher number of incoming queries right now, but we are working hard to get back to everyone in due time. We thank you for your patience."

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Also interestingly enough they have completely removed what looks to be all other landing pages and now redirect directly to the login page. Even the prices page, about page, contact page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Tork

I didn't realise I was very low on credit when I had something sent to them nearly 3 weeks ago. I topped up the account within a few hours of getting the email but to date, my parcel hasn't made it from them to a locker. All I'm getting is an automated UPS reply. Something tells me I'm never going to see my parcel. I hope its contents disappoint the thief utterly because I'm convinced it has been pinched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Did parcel motel say why they are closing down ?

All I can find on the matter is, "Following an extensive consultation period, we have taken the difficult decision to cease Parcel Motel services," stated UPS to RTE. So it seems as if they were in talks for a bit, and they saw some issues going into the future, or saw it as non-profitable and axed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I, like many I know used PM a lot to buy items from the UK, use the NI address for vendors who would not ship to Rep. Ireland, or who charge for shipping to ROI, but free to NI. After brexit rules 2 years ago, PM couldnt provide that service due to new custom regulations. I suspect they lost over 50% of customers overnight cause of that.

Work from home also impacted PM. I used their lockers as we were both at work all day and couriers wouldnt deliver unless you were home, or a neighbour accepted it. Since Covid March 2022, lots work from home, like me, so deliveries arent an issue. Plus couriers and postal workers now leave parcels at your door, inside apartment foyer, behind the gate, behind a bin, etc.. unless they are specifically instructed that it has to be signed for. They wouldnt leave them before Covid, but they became so so busy that they had to change their approach. This would have lost another big % of PM customers I imagine.

It was a great model pre Brexit, and pre Covid strict courier delivery policies. I can understand why its probably not feasible to continue supporting the infrastructure (lockers, IT system, staff, etc) with limited customers.

Good points. But there's still a lot of reason to using at least a locker system. E.g., my friend often used PM as they did not know specifically when they could go and post stuff off, nor would it likely be in the 9-5 (while working). So being able to post on their own time was a huge advantage.

I personally only used PM as a way to get almost 50% off compared to An Post's prices for even slightly weighty packages. For example recently I posted off just a box set of Fresh Prince on DVD. An Post asking for 11 euro, UPS asking for 6.50. Huge. Or, when I was posting 6x faulty PS1 consoles + 4x controllers, power, av, memory cards. 8.50. An Post wanted somewhere upwards of 19 euro, standard.

UPS directs us to their other options which for my area only consists of asking them to come down and collect the package. What's annoying is we cannot estimate the cost of the post before we ask them to come take it, therefore how am I supposed to provide an accurate postage cost to adverts/donedeal buyers? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Tork

If you're not working from home 5 days a week any more, online shopping is a bit of a headache. It's the worst of both worlds because you're not at work every day, and you're not at home on other days. I now work 3 days at home and 2 in the office, while my other half's job only has him at home intermittently. If something is being delivered by An Post, it's grand because you can collect the parcel from them. But when it's a courier, they'll not leave the area without offloading your parcel onto somebody else. It's fine if they leave our parcel with the neighbours who are sound. But we also have a couple of neighbours who are very odd and have made it clear the don't want to know anybody in the area. So having to knock on their door and collect a parcel they've grudgingly taken in isn't pleasant. That's where Parcel Motel still had its uses for us. Being able to collect parcels in our own time and not having to deal with the oddball neighbours was worth the extra cost and hassle.

I also know of a workplace where they now refuse to accept online shipping deliveries. That's another reason why there's still a use for a locker system of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

Looks like OOHPod are looking at 'backfilling' some of the PM sites with their lockers. Ironically OOPHod is run by the former PM owners.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Oh dang! I hope so. Their prices are INCREDIBLY competitive. Better than ParcelMotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I had no idea PM was closing - got no email or any other form of notification. (I don't think it's acceptable to use a press release to notify customers!)

Practical Q: I had a parcel delivered (from Austria) to their Dublin location yesterday, which I had thought would be delivered in the usual way to my closest locker - any idea how I go about retrieving this? I don't see anything helpful on the website and no-one is answering the phone.

Value is about €100, so not the end of the world but better in my hands than lost in some warehouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I got email and haven't used them for a while... maybe it went into your junk folder?

The email was a bit vague for your situation:

Our lockers remain in service until 31st of January, parcels not collected before that date will be moved to the nearest UPS facility for further transportation

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

yeah, I am guessing UPS will give me the option of delivering to my house or else collecting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I got no notification email either about PM shutting down (checked junk mail too).

I sent the request for refund of my balance yesterday to parcelmotelsupport@ups.com and got an automatic looking reply email from noreply_cs@ups.com saying a ticket had been raised.

I got the same, i.e. the below

Really fills you with confidence 🙄

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. This email is to confirm that we received your request and are working to address it. Your case number is below.

Case #: C-0136968902

This is a system generated email. Please do not reply to this email.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

FWIW I didn’t get an email. Saw it first here

Hadn't used them in over 2 years and had zero balance. Still would have expected an email

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Possible some are not getting emails because, like myself, they had an eircom.net address linked to the account and didn't bother changing it. I'm guessing that's why I got no email. Didn't really bother me as I haven't used it since Brexit killed it for cheap UK postage for eBay.

I too did not get an email.

It's likely because we opted out of communication in profile settings, the 'Can we keep in touch?' checkbox.

Do you know what's ridiculous? They still allow top-ups from what I can see. Didn't actually top up to see, but they haven't removed the option to.

So latest update, via An Post. Clearly UPS gave it back to them.

02 February 2023 12:32

We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender

For fecks sake. They have my email and my phone number. Could they not ask me what alternative address to use?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Plot twist : - they claim they'll be sending it to my locker?!

they've taken the money from my €11.85 topup, so something is happening. Whether it goes to the local depot or locker remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NoNotMe

UPS have been refusing to take any Parcel Motel deliveries since Tuesday. As the items don't have any other delivery address An Post are returning all to sender. If you have something in transit unfortunately it's not going to get to you.

I don't understand why UPS couldn't take the parcels, stick on the home address and deliver normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

They've had mine since Jan 13th so curious to know where it will end up!

Advertisement