Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Hi all

the person i dent the package to didn’t collect, now the tracking status say -returned but I haven’t received anything, where is uncollected stuff being returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

I have stupidly ordered some items over the last three months to the old Parcel Motel address in McKinney Road in Antrim. Has anyone else done this? Will they be binned or returned to sender, thanks, Dave.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I doubt anyone has done similar in the last couple of years, so you're probably better off getting onto Parcel Motel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The address is the same for everyone. Yo have to put credit on your account for them to send the items out to your local lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Does anyone know of a working number which parcel motel can be contacted on?. Their website still has the 076 number which was withdrawn from service (as were all 076 numbers) last December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Is Parcel Motel gone out of business? Why haven't they sorted something out by now? Surely the "deliver to NI, transport to ROI" model should still work despite everything going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Illegal to offer such a service to avoid vat/duty.

Also they are owned by ups

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭skinnyfries

Can you use it inter-county in Ireland?

Funny how Revenue have managed to create a system that goes against both unionists and nationalists...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

What do you mean?

Brexit caused the issues. Nothing to do with revenue. UK is now outside the EU and you cannot promote an avoidance scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

We can’t blame Eamonn Ryan for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed. I have no problem paying the VAT. I do however have an objection to An Post returning my non-EU packages to sender for spurious reasons ("failed electronic customs clearance" isn't a proper reason). Would be good if Parcel Motel re-invented themselves to facilitate delivery of packages instead of forcing people to resort to couriers or sending detailed instructions to non-EU sellers on how to meet An Post's cryptic standards.

Unionists will argue NI is in the UK and are against customs checks coming from britain and Republicans will argue that NI is Irish territory so goods should not be hindered travelling south of the border - at the moment neither of these are true in the eyes of the government or customs it appears.

Avoiding tax is not illegal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So because the sender didn't do things right you blame An Post?

Parcel Motel can't bypass custom requirments, neither can An Post.

If the sender hasn't properly declared or completed documents then thats the fault of the sender.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post seem to have jumped the gun completely on the automated electronic transfer of information from Post offices. It seems they went at least one year, if not 2 years, early and don't seem to have told Australia, the US, Japan, the UK etc. They want a 10 digit TARIC when the normal is 6. There is a big thread on the Online buying/Courier forum. The customer cannot do anything in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That's a kneejerk "computer says no" response which reminds me of An Post's behaviour at the moment.

I am not trying to "bypass customs" - I just want to get my package delivered. I have no objection to paying VAT / customs duties / etc.

Most Australian sellers have stopped shipping to Ireland

Japan Post have a very detailed set of instructions on their website about shipping to Ireland

An Post have returned numerous packages to US and UK. There are plenty threads across the internet complaining about this. When you ring An Post to complain, they blame Revenue / Customs. If you ring Revenue / Customs, they blame An Post. In many instances, you won't get an exact reason for the rejection which means the problem cannot be addressed. How can you fix something if you don't know what's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Address Pal part of An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

www.oohpod.com

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Hopefully, they'll take over the old Parcel Motel locations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't. Their entire business model relies on you going to NI to collect and bring across the border.

If they bring it across the border they have to facilities customs. This is implausibly difficult and is why Parcel Motel stopped providing that service

Also, Parcel Motel still exists for domestic packages so the lockers are still in use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Any experience with PM lately? My sent parcel is sitting in the locker since Thursday evening, no movement on tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

So I want to order a cycling jersey (£55) from NI. Postage to NI is £5 to ROI is a shocking £14.50. https://www.dondacycling.com/policies/shipping-policy

Parcel Motel no longer an option, Address pay have €3.50 customs processing fee & €6.50 so €10, cheaper than buying direct. Any other companies that'd be cheaper please?

Ta,

Pa.

You'll have to pay customs processing with anyone once it goes to a GB address, I don't think any of them could beat the Adressspal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've used oohpod a few times now without issue.

I'm only half an hour away from the the depot though, probably not an option if you live further south.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

came here looking for alternatives. i have 4.50 in credit in parcel motel account - but without a UK virtual address i have no use for their service. I use it whenever i need something from the UK and the Site refuse to ship ouside mainland UK.

It has othing to do with avoiding customs or tax. Address pal wont even send me an email to confirm registration - how likely is the rest of their service to be efficient :/

any OTHER options for UK virtual address?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

You can use it for local postage as well when purchasing from Adverts for example where An Post would cost you 6.80 euro and PM would be 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Has the service with PM gotten really poor?

A package was delivered to them a week ago, and there's no sign of it and no response from their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

are they still active? IMpossible to contact them, and they have my package but haven't delivered.

Would advise anyone else to avoid using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I've asked them a few times to return the balance on my account, given I can't use it for what it was intended, delivering stuff via NI. No response from customer service. Did anyone else get their money back?

Advertisement