Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I sent an e-mail to this address as well - we will see how it will finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They must have made a fortune from online shopping from the UK. I used them but could never consider them reliable. Customers should not have to chase ' lost ' parcels and their webpage interaction was poor. In my home town they gave us the lockers for about a year and then took them away. Brexit was always going to sink them otherwise they would have to get into opening the parcels ( to charge Customs duties ) like Addresspal does and that was a bridge too far. A good idea in it's time but poor management and Brexit destroyed the business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Parcel Motel, aka UPS are no longer answering calls on 01 8835400 after telling people on Newstalk to call it. Its just a badly recorded voicemail telling you to contact parcelmotelsupport@ups.com which I've just done.

Calling UPS's number gets you to their outsourced bottom of the barrel support team of incompetents who claim they know nothing about the service closing down (or their own services it seems) and who are telling me the parcel I sent on 09/01 via Parcel Motel is untraceable by them even though it has a UPS tracking number.

At least with PM gone nobody will have to deal with UPS's outsourced support which is the worst I've ever dealt with. I've used PM since they opened and it was great but as soon as I heard UPS were taking over it sent shivers down my spine. UPS's 1.2 score on Trustpilot should tell you PM were doomed once UPS took them over irrespective of Brexit or other unfavourable conditions. No wonder they've been losing contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If and when they refund any outstanding credit balance, how will that work for accounts that no longer have cards attached?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

I used to just top-up using Paypal so I presume they would refund back to Paypal in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I don't think ups are going bust anytime soon.

$3.1 BILLION profits in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Feck all people used it. That's why it's closing.

Very very few people will be affected.

Both an post and dpd give you an option for a different day delivery, so virtually no advantage for PM anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

They don't respond to that email any longer. I'd be concerned about people trying to claim back old credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I didn't question why it was closing

And there's more than one reason why people used parcel motel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

How about those of us who for whatever reason want a specific package held (eg a present for The Person Who Always Gets The Post For The House) offsite for collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

Hi All received this message from ParcelMotel(UPS) that Parcerl Motel will cease to operate from the 31st. January.

GET STARTED

Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you of a change that will impact all your Parcel Motel activities. Please be informed that as of January 31st the Parcel Motel services and brand will cease to exist. We are closing all Parcel Motel operations and you can no longer use the lockers for pick-up or deliveries after this date.

Our lockers remain in service until 31st of January, parcels not collected before that date will be moved to the nearest UPS facility for further transportation. For sending and/or using your virtual address we ask you to keep track of these dates, to make sure you can use our services before January 31st.

• January 22, last day to send a parcel to another member of Parcel Motel

• January 25, last day to send a parcel to an address or make a return

• January 27, last day for Irish Virtual Address check in

We thank you for using our lockers throughout the years and for being a valued customer. In the future we refer you to our other shipping and delivery options, please visit ups.com for more information and details.

If you already have a parcel to ship and would like to checkout our online rates, use promocode IEDRIVER for additional 15% off (valid until June 30, 2023).

Best regards,

The Parcel Motel team at UPS

I haven't used them in a while but when I checked my account, I saw i had about 8 Euro's in credit.

I presume all similar credit will be automatically returned to customers ? Ther's NO mention of how anyone can Cancel their account or about refunds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Parcel Motel is closing up operations at the end of Jan 2023.So get your money out of their account and any parcels due.GOOD RIDDANCE.They have become an utter clown show in the last year.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

This is disappointing as generally speaking it was a handy service and much cheaper than An Post. I just tried a quote from UPS for a 1kg small package shipping within the 26 counties. Cheapest option was 2 day service for €11.97 .... this would have been €6.50 with Parcel Motel , and is €9 with An Post. Looks like I won't be using UPS.

Anybody got recommendations for something similar.

Buy 25 standard postage labels with an post with their advantage card. Works out at about 5.90 or something. Can send up to 10kgs and drop off at their lockers. Only thing is their is no insurance. But you also have an option to buy a pack of registered labels, albeit at a higher price.

If you ship often the 25 labels from An Post for €149 is your best shot (maybe UPS etc have similar options available if you enquire). I think the problem lay in how cheap it was and the volume of parcels prob wasn’t that large these days it just couldn’t make any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks up4dabah & Raichu ... I don't ship often enough for the An Post service you mention. PM was handy for Ad Hoc shipments. No worries, will probably just use An Post at the higher cost. At least they are reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 7 juddasgoat

They got away with refusing to refund people when they stoped receiving shipments to the North even though this would have been the reason 90% of customers used the service. I had a package in transit (worth a few hundred euro) when they decided to stop the service which I never ended up getting because of the short notice they gave and they never did a single thing to make that right. They should return the money but if they don't they know most people won't go to any great length to get it back as the majority of amounts in most peoples accounts would be very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have 30 quid in credit. I won't be letting that slip into the profits of UPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

My parcel is stuck with them for a week and I got UPS tracking as delivered to Parcel motel yesterday but still haven’t received any pin for the locker. What a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've a parcel stuck with them too, worth about €250. it's in the Cork depot at the moment.

I hadn't used them in 18 months but I ordered something I knew would probably arrive on a day I wasn't at home, so this was the simplest option...so I thought. Also have €30 credit which I have emailed about and enquired re refund. (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

Arrrgghh! I accidentally left my iPAD behind in a hotel in Munich a couple of weeks back. The hotel kindly agreed to ship it back to me FOC and did so via DHL. For reasons, I decided not to give them my home address and used Parcel Motel instead; DHL handed it over to An Post last Thursday night and they in turn delivered it to the Finglas Parcel Motel Depot on the morning of the 13th - the day it was announced the service is commencing a shut down (I didn't get the mail either)!

I've had no luck getting through to them as others have said; automated responses to e-mails, no away of getting through via phone, I called UPS who can't do anything as the DHL tracking number won't work on their system...I'm really anxious the package is going to disappear at this point and I've absolutely no way of speaking to anyone about it - so frustrating 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dragona

Well I've got 6.50, and I want it back! How do you get your credit back??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

That was the other thing; I received a notification from parcel motel last Friday morning stating I had insufficient credit…I thought great, they have the package but then could only top up by the minimum of €11.85…the way things are looking I’m not hopeful of getting the remainder back!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Contact support.

I got a refund earlier last year and iirc the two options provided at the time were: make a deposit to get a card refund for balance amount or else via Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

If you find a way out or a number to connect them, please let me know too

So I put in for two refunds through PayPal. Got the first one, because they didn't bother even responding to my claim. Should get the other one back in a few days when the response time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Provided they don't just shut down their paypal account?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

PayPal won’t allow them to when there’s active disputes in place. Besides that closing your PayPal account won’t stop claimants being refunded.

Advertisement