Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Boris Johnson revealed, in a telephone call before the Russian invasion with Putin. That Putin threatened him with a missile strike that he could have Boris dead in less than a minute.

This was as Putin had his forces prepared for invasion in February.

The documentary Putin V the West will be broadcast tonight on BBC 2 at 9pm.

Little Napolean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I came on here the other day with a link to a report by the Rand Corporation, a well-known US thinktank funded in part by the US government.

The report stated that it was in the US interest for the Ukraine war to come to an early end.

Since then, I have been attacked by a range of posters who want to make out that I am anti-US and pro-Russia. I can't think what I posted to make you people attack me, other than not following a specific line on Ukraine.

I guess you'd be happier if I just came out and complained that "posters X Y and Z are US imperialists and bla bla bla" because that would put me in a nice little box for you. But of course not all people fit in your little boxes. Deal with it.

You use this thread as a vector for your fringe US views. Then play the persecution card when your latest not-so-subtle attempts are pointed out by everyone. There's a US imperialism thread for this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Australians are absolutely mental, when it comes to sport. They have absolutely no sense of self awareness when their brains engage sport-mode - it's like a red mist decends over their consciousnness and their IQ drops by 70%, their pupils shrink to tiny pinpricks and they start hyperventilating like a bull about to charge.

When they get like that, there's no reasoning with them, whatsoever. Very embarrasing. There was at least a slight saving grace in that they did keep Djokovic's father out of the venue for the final after his on camera pro-Orc scumbagery.

If the two of them were to suddenly vanish from the face of the Earth, it would be a relief.

Australia, and particularly Melbourne, does have a large Serbian community, not to mention Croation, Greek, Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese...

Did I say "the West" or did I say "the US"? I certainly didn't talk about "western currencies" - I mentioned the Dollar because that is the most-used currency in international trade, but has been gradually eroded by the use of the Euro as well as inter-governmental deals in other currencies too. This is well documented.

so once again would you accept your own salary (or dole) in Rouble or Yuan

Post up recent banks statements from your various bank accounts first.

The Ukrainians have several times pointed out that the mobilisation never ceased and has quietly continued since it was announced that it had.

Now, without personal attacks:

What are your views on the Rand Corp's report on the Russia-Ukraine war?

Do you agree with the Rand Corp. that it is in the US interest to bring the war to an early conclusion? Why so or why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭timmyntc

and what proof do they have of this?

Why do all the news article talk of an upcoming new wave of mobilisation (and only ever: "Ukraine warns of next wave"), and never mention ongoing mobilisation?

• Advertisement

Heavy going, Russians are really throwing everything at this

I've no issue with the dollar. I simply provided my view, and apparently you don't like it. That's fine, but I wonder why.

While you are considering your response, maybe you'd like to answer these two questions:

1. Is the Euro being used to trade petrol these days?
    2. Are various other countries doing deals without using the dollar?

I see you haven't posted up your bank statements yet. Please provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

But are yet thrown back every time with huge losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

I would trust a nigerian prince email before bojo.

Last I heard hes living in the "home" of a multi-millionaires wife, for ""free"".

Claims hes broke, poor lad. Came out lately he put 4 grand on govt expenses for a dinner.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

As I have explained to you, it's not the Rand corporation expressing their unbiased view, that report was commissioned from them by right wing billionaire Charles Koch to put out a Pro Russia, anti Ukraine support piece because it's significantly in his financial interests as his companies have ignored sanctions and are still operating in Russia and are engaged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Which would your instinct go with?

Your mistrust of Boris Johnson?

Or your sense that Vladimir Putin wouldn't threaten a head of State with death in a phone call prior to an invasion that he's been building his whole life as a statesman towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have to agree, there is an element of absurdity about the Russian casualty figures.

They are still suffering massive losses , the US estimate of 100k dead and injured as of the end of November makes sense and reflects that.

Figures of 110k dead and 350k injured are fantastical.

From weeks before the invasion European countries should have been making it clear that while it might not be a hot war that they would see it as a war time situation. The Brits did, the Polacks did, the Balts did and the massive inflow of anti tank weapon, anti aircraft missiles was a game changer for Ukraine when Russia eventually did invade.

12 months on, much of Europe is still only coming around to the idea.

Russia will not conquer all of Ukraine but it may take the 4 annexed oblasts, at an incredible cost to all sides and probably their own long term stability.

The risk of this becoming a multi year war grows every day it goes on.

Very interesting piece on the Poles repairing Ukrainian equipment and sending it back

"WARSAW—In a sprawling factory complex surrounded by derelict buildings, hundreds of technicians are working around the clock on one of the biggest challenges of Ukraine’s war: repairing artillery and heavy armor and returning it to the front line.

Mechanics buzz around the football-field-sized workshop housing three AHS Krab guns, the air thick with the smell of metal dust and automotive grease. Two of the Krabs, which look like tanks but are self-propelled 155mm howitzer guns, are missing parts of their caterpillar tracks and are riddled with bullet holes and contorted metal.

Another Krab stands sparkling clean, ready to be ferried back into Ukraine along a route that has seen the biggest transfer of arms in Europe since World War II. Each weapon can take up to two months to repair by technicians who must pass layers of security checks before they are allowed onto the floor of the factory at a location The Wall Street Journal agreed not to disclose.

In addition to the repair work in Poland, the mechanics are in constant contact with technicians in Ukraine—many of whom were civilians before the war—teaching them over encrypted apps how to repair everything from tanks to missiles."

"On the factory floor, technicians work in three shifts around the clock and are in regular contact with Ukrainians on the battlefield. They share information about best techniques for repairs over encrypted messages and a HelpDesk app that helps them to troubleshoot problems. 

Polish mechanics said they once used the chat application to teach a Ukrainian postman-turned-soldier to repair a missile. 

Mechanics sometimes find soldiers’ belongings inside the Krabs: a toothbrush, unfinished snacks or family photos. Dariusz Gawinek, a mechanicsaid that repairing the hardware has made him more committed to helping the war effort.

“The Krabs arrive here with leaves, mud, sand, twigs stuck to the body and caterpillars. It is Ukrainian soil,” he said. “It hit me really hard the first time I went inside of one.”"

• Advertisement

It was a great tragedy that the USSR wasn't dismantled at birth, the most murderous half century in human history could have been avoided.

Oil is the Russian economy, gas to Europe is nice pocket money, they'll miss it now it's gone but it is not that much.

Britain and France have capable militaries.

German does not, for the last no. of years it hasn't even had a unified command structure. Decrepit and run down and deliberately underfunded and undermined for 20 years is the only description.

Italy who knows.

They have shown images of several mobilisation documents received by Orcs after the date it was supposed to have ceased, and pointed out that the legislation that needed to be passed to cease the mobilisation legally, still has not happened.

A Russian Telegram channel dedicated to providing Russians legal support to avoid compulsory military service published a document dated Nov. 29 from the Russian National Guard’s Organizational and Staff Department, the Institute for the Study of War said in its latest report. 

The document indicates that despite Russian President Vladimir Putin’s announcement of the formal end of partial mobilization on Oct. 31, Putin’s initial mobilization decree continues to be in force and that “there are no legal grounds for dismissal from military service upon the expiration of service contract.” 

This report is consistent with previous ISW findings that Russian entities are preparing for more mobilization efforts. The experts also quote the Odintsovo garrison military court in Moscow Oblast that inadvertently confirmed in mid-November that mobilization is continuing despite its formal end.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-december-3

I certainly don't see any end in sight at the moment, indeed could drag on for years.

Casualties are a tough one. There was a leak of the gross amount of Russian payments to families of fallen soldiers back in Sept last year which, if true, indicated around 50k were dead or missing at that time (not including LNR and DNR figures).

I take most estimates with a pinch of salt, but I'd expect attrition also be high among the Ru army - accidents, bad medical care, desertions, exposure, self-mutilation, etc. Having to drain prisons is never a good sign. Suspect there will be much more mobilisation to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

A Bojo claim is worth nothing.

Bojo, David Icke, Mystic Meg, Scientologists warrant the same level of trust when they say something.

You can put Vlad in there too if you like, I wont object. But Bojo is just talking any old sht for money again imho.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Ukrainian MoD stating an attack has been "repelled" does not mean what you think it means. Youre thinking far too literal

It means the line of contact is at place X and the Ukrainians have been engaging the enemy and not allowing them to gain ground - it does not mean that people were literally charging forward and being repelled backward like some kind of tug of war match.

Most of these positions are entrenched, and most of the attacks are artillery and drones probing. The combat footage shows this too.

And unfortunately they are not repelled every time either - wagner have captured blahodatnoye and attacks reported on Vasukivka, moving slowly NW of Soledar into the towns and villages along Bakhmutka river

The big picture? Wagner/Russia are pushing north to dislodge the AFU from Seversk. Shown below are the 2 roads left to supply Seversk.

At current rate of attrition theres at least 3 weeks before Wagner reach Sviato-Pokrovksy and cut off 1 of the 2 routes outs. If they do, its likely Seversk will be evacuated, and with it a large chunk of land to the East. It also makes the attacks on Kreminna from the forest plantations either side of Seversky-Donets impossible to keep up, as previously the AFU took advantage of their control of right bank of the river to ferry small groups of troops across the river and into the forests around kreminna. This will stop if the AFU lose Seversk

The AFU need a big counterattack to stop Seversk from falling or else they have a mountain to climb to regain it and lands near Kreminna later on.

Bojo is an egomaniacal bs artist but he will be seated next to Zelensky come the victory parade in Kyiv at the end of the war.

My bank statements are none of your concern

And neither is any of my personal information yours. Thanks for making the point for me.

• Advertisement

Funny that none of this info is in the document itself. You might want to provide links with quotes. Relaible ones.

Advertisement