Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't see how you can have multi cultures at the same time everyone is 'integrated'.

You can only preserve the cultures by preserving non-integration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah that would be all grand if we didn't have numerous examples of nations running this multicultural experiment over many decades and several generations with the same results over time. These "old todgers" you seem positively obsessed with appear to be remarkably long lived. Oh and i hate to burst your bubble, but of those who drove the changes against slavery and apartheid a large percentage were "old todgers". Read some history.

But again you avoid the question, because the answer doesn't agree with your faith in this political/social experiment. Again I ask you; point out an example of all those muliticultural nations out there with all their different histories, cultures and politics where the exact same social, political and ethnic patterns don't emerge. Again Part 3; you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When you see stuff like this of absolute scum behaviour - sexually threatening ppl just going about their daily job, is it any wonder ppl are protesting against open border access for unvetted men??

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

And it's only going to get worse the longer this is allowed to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭lmao10

You need to go into way more detail about the metrics you are using to come to those conclusions since you're the one making whatever argument you're making. I've seen you writing essays so it shouldn't be a problem. Back everything up with stats. Although it is difficult to deal with your posts because you tend to ramble a bit. The pro slavery/apartheid scumbags were making similar arguments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No they weren't. Economics strongly came into it and who else will do the work arguments(no real coincidence that abolition and steam power came around the same time), but their overall excuse was it was "the natural order of things", even Aristotle struggling to explain away slavery as a state came to a similar conclusion. Again I respectfully suggest you read more books on the matter.

But again I ask you to name one "multicultural" nation where people of colour are not more likely to be over-represented in stats on poverty, lack of education and crime.

And indeed more likely to be framed in negative stereotypes with it. Well unless they're successful in biz, sport or the arts, where they're pointed to and painted as "success stories of diversity". Easier for the "natives" to ignore the wider realities, especially the so called "liberal" ones. Malcolm X had their number back in the 60's. Racism and "The Other" factor is of course a massive part of this, however rather than pull the usual "we need more education/resources/dialogue" stuff as a panacea(though we have to now in hope of papering the cracks as the horse has long bolted) I prefer if reluctantly to face facts, as many POC do, if you actually asked them, that multicultural societies don't work nearly so well as the flag bearers of this politic claim or like to think. Least of all for the very groups we claim they do work for.

You're not providing anything. You mentioned crime. Immigrants in the US commit less crime than natives. I'm talking about studies like this rather than just stuff you'd read from people who already believe negative things about migrants and therefore you can't really discuss anything with them without first accepting their presuppositions.

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-soc-071913-043309

And yet you're still not answering the question?

But, Ok... Answer me this then, if you will/can: Who among the US "native" disapora are more over-represented in crime, poverty, educational levels?

You're actually reinforcing my points. Thanks BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Uninstalled their app years ago when they restricted comments stopped the thumbs down on comments and it's got worse from there. All they are is a government propaganda news website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Had a listen to the section on this mornings Pat Kenny show there concerning the lax situation at our airports, probably one of the first calm discussions on msm I've heard which touched on the increased economic migration to this country and the reasons behind it, its patently obvious that Dublin is out the window, but have no fear a couple of guards are going to head up to the airport for an oul check twice a week, sure enough none of our ministers were available for comment .. I don't think this will be the last on this from PK, I've heard him before when he gets the bit between his teeth, anyone remember the electronic voting debacle? and how he and his team relentlessly picked holes in it, eventually it had to go but not after an almighty tussle, God knows what the whole episode cost.. Beware the risen Pat, he won't let this go (btw is he far right now for questioning the whole laissez-faire attitude on our borders ?? open border policy by the back door)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

btw is he far right now

No, he isn’t. Pat’s nothing more than yet another (albeit incredibly wealthy) disillusioned liberal leftie who’s been left behind as it were, much like his other RTE broadcaster-at-arms (length) Joe Duffy; neither of them fit to fill Gaybo’s boots, as out of touch with reality as George Hook on a good day.

As for Pat, he’s easily capable of wallowing in his own NIMBYism -

https://www.thejournal.ie/pat-kenny-loses-battle-planning-apartments-4734580-Jul2019/

Has never appreciated it being pointed out to him either -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I don't get why he calls himself black when he is clearly coloured. I did ask him during the Presidential race why he did not run for councillor as a stepping stone into politics .He rebuked the suggestion. Pity !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Because it’s the overwhelmingly dominant gene? He may not see much of his Irish parent on him despite it being his mother. Anyways it’s a common theme

Hmmm, wouldn't be surprised to see him attempt politics again in some way...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The organisations you’re likely referring to have been anything but silent on this one, they’ve been lobbying to bring this about for decades. I’m relieved that the likes of Colm O’ Gorman aren’t pipping up to give their spake on it tbh. Less heard from them the better surely? 😂

Have they come out and been appalled by actions of these Muslims far right and if so any link?

I took you up completely wrong. I’ve no idea who you’re referring to now. I thought the pro human rights crowd and diversity were the likes of Amnesty Ireland and that whole swathe of politically left-leaning NGOs that have been lobbying to have this kind of stuff on the curriculum for at least the last decade that the CPMSA are only objecting to now.

Nobody of any flavour gives a shìt what the IMC says, the only time any feathers were ruffled is when Ali Selim used open his gob, but there hasn’t been a peep out of him in while. Just looked him up, now I remember he got fcuked out of it for his stupid comments about FGM:

https://www.thejournal.ie/ali-selim-fgm-apology-3854030-Feb2018/

I don’t expect any sort of reaction to the response by Muslims or far-right types to this one tbh, they’ve got their way and that’s all that matters. It just won’t be taught in Catholic ethos schools is all, which are about 90% of schools in Ireland. It’s already taught in ET schools, so the revised curriculum won’t make any difference in practical terms.

All sides pretty much keeping their powder dry, and the IMC seeing an opportunity to signal their virtues. By that same token, I wouldn’t be breaking out the popcorn just yet, we’re only on the trailers, movie hasn’t even started 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

i mean over the years.

people tried to tell them about certain compatibility issues between these two groups. but normally this led to a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Ireland is asleep on its feet and this fisherprice paddyism doesn't help at all

Before the first week of 2023 had even ended we seen:

1. A Brazilian woman murdered by her Brazillian boyfriend on New years in Cork. 

2. Albanians & Georgians charged after New Years Day brawl resulting in multiple stabbings 

3. A Latvian man was charged with assaulting a Ukrainian man with a bottle which resulted in the man almost bleeding to death. 

4. Two African men were charged after seriously assaulting two lads, leaving them to be discovered seriously injured in a lane just off from Grafton Street.

5. A Non-National (holder of 2 passports) charged with raping a woman At New Year's Party

6. Two Romanian men charged with murder of Somali man whose body was found wrapped in carpet in Dublin 15

Now let's look at how we've been enriched from the beginning of the year to date.....

• Albanian Man jailed for 9 years over repeated rape of a 23-year-old woman in Galway.
    • Pakistani Step-dad gets life sentence after confessing to torture and murder of 5-yo girl
    • Afghan national charged with murder of a Romanian sex worker who had only been here a month before being murdered.
    • 'Russian-speaking' Ukranian mother charged with attempted murder of her eight-year-old daughter in Co Clare.
    • Romanian Hospital cleaner who posed as a teenage girl on Facebook and Snapchat to send explicit images to children is jailed for 5 years.
    • Moldovan man accused of sexually assaulting a female juvenile in Ballymun.
    • Brazilian Dublin airport corporate lounge employee jailed for involvement in cocaine smuggling valued at €1.43 million
    • Eritrean asylum seeker charged with sexually assaulting a female in a local bar.
    • Brazilian Man jailed for smuggling over €650,000 worth of cocaine into Ireland in shampoo bottles
    • Afghani pizza chef guilty & jailed for 20 months after attacking housemate with knives.
    • Eritrean asylum seeker accused of sexually assaulting two women was ‘trying to make friends.
    • Eritrea Woman who posed as a child (UAM) refugee charged with the attempted murder of social worker.

And the above only accounts for a fraction of the serious crimes so far this year. It does not include the plethora of serious assaults, trafficking, brothels, drugs, money laundering, fraud, thefts, and robberies etc

but sure didn't the Irish go all over the world and commit crimes too.....

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

We're only responsible for one of the biggest cartels in the world and countless drug deaths but we are white and Irish so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Go on then. Which Irish (we?) criminal organisation is one of the biggest cartels in the world which is responsible for "countless" drug deaths?

And I'll pre-warn you - why do you generalise guilt for criminality by some (Irish) individuals to an entire (Irish) people (we?) when I'd guess you would literally leap out of a 10th floor window to avoid making generalisations about the travelling community, long before we would talk about association of organised criminality with groups like Mexicans, Colombians, etc.

I'll further warn you -I find it odd that "we", "us", "Irish" suddenly exists as a real, concrete thing when people like yourself are attacking we/us/Irish with communal crimes. But "we", "us", "Irish" becomes ethereal and hard to grasp or define when we talk about ourselves to exclude people who aren't "we" or "us" or "Irish". Or to make positive claims about "we", "us" or "Irish".

And how weird it is that for people like yourself the inverse is true for people who are not "we" or "us" or "Irish". Who trained you to think this way?

I stopped reading after the first paragraph, sorry. You made the post too difficult to read. If you could make the post easier to read and shorten it then I'd happily read and reply.