Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thats not what the poster claimed. Try to keep up. See reference to Delta.

The vaccines were ending restrictions before omicron and completed the job once omicrons impact could assessed.

As they ended the restrictions eg in Denmark pre omicrom. Another data point you keep running away from.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

There also wasn't a peep about removing the digital certs until Omicron came along. Leo was looking at them well into 2022 in fact:

Once most of the country had Omicron and could access recovery certs, they were sort of pointless to encourage more doses.

We were all offered a vaccine and most of us were fully vaccinated. We still had restrictions. Then we brought in more.

You've admitted it yourself.

Omicron being so mild ended this.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭fm

What's Denmark got to do with us?nothing, restrictions were reduced once majority were vaccinated and then omicron finished them off.why the defence all the time about vaccines and government decisions,it just strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you have read the last few pages of the thread the reference to Denmark is obvious.

The vaccines have demonstrated in the real world their ability to end restrictions. Earlier in some countries than others eg Denmark.

The defence of vaccines is because some posters are claiming the vaccines had nothing to do with it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭fm

I have no problem saying vaccines should have ended restrictions but they didn't as the government decided to be too cautious,surprise surprise,but it's obvious that omicron ended them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If Omicron never mutated, we would likely have been on the same timeline anyway.

There comes a point when most/all measures are lifted. It was similar in most countries. Nothing dramatically different here in Ireland.

There did come a time when all restrictions were lifted, it's when they realised that thousands were getting Omicron everyday and hospitals were empty so the jig was up.

Omicron is also what convinced the dumb Austrians to ditch their foolish mandatory vaccine mandate plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That was already happening by early December (October/November was also when the number of unvaccinated in hospital dropped as there was only a small % of them left, they were still over-represented but not in the 12x-20x as was being seen earlier). Omicron was a big unknown and the authorities essentially treated it as severely as if it was another Delta, it didn't turn out that way as hospital numbers remained under control so restrictions were dropped soon afterwards, you could argue that Omicron added a few weeks to the reopening due to the unknown variables it brought vs. Delta which, while vicious, was well understood on the modelling side. There was essentially a rush to confirm Omicron characteristics (not sure if all remember, but lots of papers on immune response, infection rates and potential immune escape came in early January, which was a fairly quick turnaround).

Restrictions were lifted when the population was highly vaccinated and subsequent waves weren't correspondingly threatening hospitals and filling ICU's. When that became obvious it's only natural that measures were dropped. Not sure why you try to frame it as a "jig".

Austria had relatively low vaccination rates compared to most European countries, so the govt introduced a mandate to increase uptake. I predicted they would drop it later (which they did)

• Advertisement

By subsequent waves you mean Omicron. So you agree then that restrictions were still in place and when Omicron came we dropped them.

It was a combination of factors, less dangerous variants being one of them. High vaccinations across populations meant that a tidal wave of cases didn't result in a corresponding tidal wave of hospitalizations/deaths, that was key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Does any employer care about covid anymore?

Employers care about profits.

A very mild illness that we have a vaccine for and mainly impacts those above retirement age, not high on the priority list unless there is an opportunity for good PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

So you're trolling here now instead of the mask thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Why are you accusing him of trolling for simply answering your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

This tread should cease to exist. No one cares about Covid anymore. Done

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some businesses never reopened

I still worry about it and will mask in some settings, I think masking is up to each individual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Last time I masked was for my kids Nativity play, at the request of the school. The only place where covid seems to still exist is my kids primary school. All the teachers were still masking as late as May 2022 and . I guess the request was at the behest of a vulnerable (or neurotic?) parent, but I can’t see the logic when little Johnny is coughing into the face of little Jenny on stage.

Otherwise, in my life, covid restrictions are done. I mask at the doctor or dentist, that’s it. I occasionally see posters up - such as at the cinema yesterday - setting out their hygiene protocols and it feels like relic from the distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have noticed that several people have stopped using the antigen kits. At Xmas there were loads of bugs going around and people were using antigen kits to check if they had Covid. However since around mid January I have come across several people with covid like symptoms who haven't tested. They're just not prepared to let Covid interrupt their busy lives. Probably the way things will go.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

It's human nature ultimately. If we don't feel sick then we just get on with things.

That has been me over the past few months. We've had a cough make it's way through the family over the past two weeks and I just haven't bothered to test even though we have kits in the medicine cabinet. The only person I'd avoid is my Dad as he has cancer, but other than that, unless I was really knocked down with the sickness, I'm not going to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

My flatmate had Covid/flue symptoms in Jan. Nobody in our house even bothered asking him to isolate or to take a test.

Eventually he got better and we didn't catch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So what you going to do then ?

Avoid your father permanently as you won't take a test ?

Or as with the other poster there I have quoted below , how would you or any one else know if you could be infectious and pass it on to some unsuspecting person who is immunocompromised or has cancer ?

Why would you think that that is a responsible or clever way to behave?

Totally irrational and bizarre posts .

Apologies, perhaps I wasn't totally clear on that.

I meant that if I had symptoms, and I was planning to see my Dad, I would take a covid test. If it was positive, I would avoid meeting him. I understand that I could give it to him in circumstances where I was symptomless, but that's just a risk we all have to take. I'll never know who gave it to him in that case.

Otherwise, if I had symptoms, and wasn't planning to see my Dad, I just wouldn't bother to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i dont see the point in testng, if i had symptoms of anything, I wouldnt visit elderly relatives and our unwritten work rule is work from home if you are coughing or spluttering

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I was in my GPs earlier this morning and then a hospital in Dublin. Seen several doctors and at least half had their mask dangling under their chin.

Also keep in mind the low percentage that got a booster.

A little bit of theatre remains but it's over now. Even the health experts are half heartedly following whatever nonsense they are been subjected to.

Unfortunately, I have three children, which means I very regularly suffer from symptoms of a cold. If I stayed away from my Dad every time in sneezed or had a runny nose, I'd never see him at all. And he doesn't have much time left, so we have to take calculated risks.

I think there is a difference between passing the common cold to my Dad, which he'd probably suffer from more the unusual given his lowered immune system, but probably wouldn't kill him, and passing covid on to him. He has lung cancer and he's 79. He'd be the classic *elderly, underlying conditions* person that we were always hearing about.

Yea yea , like the empty hospitals during Covid , we hear you ! 🙄

• Advertisement

I see your clarification JDD. That was my point to be fair , because people should still be careful and test if they have symptoms or they know they are coming into contact with people like your dad .

I think most people are more relaxed now about it and that is understandable given the high levels of immunity we now have .

I would do a test before visiting a vulnerable family member , and stay away for a few days if I had a cold just to make sure .

Advertisement