Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's a serious lack of government oversight in this country. All decisions are being made by a subcommittee of cabinet members and votes guillotined through the houses.

MM and LV would sign a blank sheet of paper if they thought they'd get a photo op and a nice little pat on the head from their betters.

I'd also agrue that until the WHO's relationship with China is revisited then we shouldn't be signing anything proposed by them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Unless you believe the conspiracy theories, the WHO pandemic treaty is an entirely reasonable and responsible process for our government to participate in.

• Building a reliable global supply chain for pandemic response products
    • Strengthening global manufacturing capacity for pandemic-related products  
    • Increasing research and development capacities of parties of the accord
    • Promoting scientific and technical cooperation between signatory countries
    • Ensuring timely access to affordable, safe, efficacious, and effective pandemic response products, including diagnostics, vaccines, personal protective equipment, and therapeutics
    • Sharing of pathogens, genetic sequence data
    • Strengthening the resilience of signatory countries’ health systems
    • Sustaining a skilled and competent health workforce in signatory countries
    • Implementing effective and efficient monitoring of pandemic prevention and preparedness

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ya I'd agree..our media doesn't hold our authorities to account, so we as citizens don't get to see the devil in the detail.

I think the WHO have avoided that type of scrutiny also, they could present any document to the public and no one would question it, I'll bet the people who trust the WHO haven't a clue how people are appointed to Senior positions in the Organization. And as most reasonable people can understand, a lack of oversight in major Global Organizations is a recipe for disaster....just look at the state of the UN for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is a complex answer involving multiple data points, it has been explained in detail, there is no bouncing around when all the data points are relevant.

That you can't bring those data points together in understanding is on you, I asked before to make an effort, I'll ask it again and note that this has been covered multiple times previously.

If you want to spin away and disagree with the data points, you're free to do so, but your claim that vaccines didn't allow us to drop restrictions is entirely and completely incorrect and will be pointed out each time you try and make it, using the data points listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

IT is not a complex question, it is a very simple one.

You are trying to complicate it by bouncing around R Rates and Denmark and Christmas 2020 etc...the public have been fed a myriad of data, much of it inaccurate and pointless and frequently over exaggerated over the course of the two years, and clearly it has affected people's ability to think straight.

I have said that vaccines may very well have helped us drop all restrictions, that is up to any individual to assess and form a view on...but you suggested "let's be clear, no amount of wishcasting changes the fact that it was the vaccines allowed lockdowns and restrictions to go"...when that is clearly not the case. If it were the case all restrictions would have been dropped in Sept 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ignoring all the factors that meant we didn't reopen in September that were explained in detail then complains about a question not being answered.

You've had an awful record over the pandemic and it mostly comes down to an unwillingness to grasp explanations, you are continuing this pattern again.

I have said that vaccines may very well have helped us drop all restrictions

They did allow us to drop all restrictions. It would have happened eventually even without vaccines but likely a couple of years and millions more deaths later.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Silentcorner threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Denmark-Kept it out of nursing homes for the most part?

HK-Naive population (to the virus due to strict covid isolation rules and perhaps a less effetitve vaccine)?

Sweden-Transport hub, so conservatively a month ahead of its neighbours in seeding the virus?

It will all come out in the wash analysing excess deaths over 4/5 years.

I cannot dismiss the "conspiracy crowd" 'cos imo it (a coronavirus) should never have been declared a pandemic.

Trite, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Firstly, it wasn’t initially declared a pandemic so you can’t accuse the WHO of over reacting.

The World Health Organisation declared COVID-19 as a…’Public Health Emergency of International Concern’ on 30 January 2020, and updated its classification to that of a pandemic on 11 March 2020.

The coronavirus COVID-19, subsequent met and meets every facet of criteria to be a pandemic…. Declaring a pandemic isn’t done so at the whim of a couple of doctors / virologists, there are protocols and criteria which were met… it’s a pandemic.

what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” ? Ask someone who had a stroke or a brain hemorrhage or a serious heart attack… covid hasn’t made anyone stronger…

In your response you mention the vaccine situation in HK - less effective vaccines, and\or also in their case a large number of vulnerable unvaccinated.

Which was the relevant point the poster was making in the context by contrast to Denmark.

What was different was the vaccines, not the coronavirus strain.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger? At an individual level I would have to disagree. Lots of injuries and diseases which you can survive can leave you with crippling, debilitating life changing consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

I had to stop listening to Scare Byrne in maybe September 2020 as the things she was broadcasting were genuinely insane.

I remember the day when it was announced the restrictions were being lifted at the end of January 2022, I threw on her show for the craic, she couldn't say one positive thing, just kept ranting how imuno compromised people would be afraid to leave the house for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sounds like you don't find it craic but can't stop listening to it. I don't think I've heard her on the radio ever.

If vaccines ended restrictions, why was I been forced to wear a mask and show my papers to get a cup of tea and a scone? I was fully vaccinated...

If vaccines ended restrictions, why didn't they end restrictions?

If you are still asking "...but why..." after 3yrs of asking the same questions, perhaps its time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think its time for the Covid section to be closed on Boards.ie. Just havve one new big Covid mega thread. That's the amount of interest that's in it now.

I am aware I'm posting here before anybody points it out.

They are all essentially the same issues going around and around in circles. Most strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Basically those like masks and those who don't. I've no idea why people keep on responding to people.

How could they know you were vaccinated without checking your status?

So what were you restricted from doing... Nothing.

And those measures were lifted as planned and would not have been lifted without vaccines.

So yes vaccines brought about the end of restrictions.

This is also demonstrated by the lifting of restrictions and measures pre Omicron in other countries.

In a country with 92% vaccinated, why should anyone care if I was vaccinated or not.

I literally told you what I was restricted from doing. I was restricted from purchasing a cup of tea without showing unnecessary papers and having my face needlessly covered.

There was plenty of other restrictions in place including curfews etc with 90% fully vaccinated.

You can Google this stuff, it's all available online.

Again, if vaccines ended restrictions, why didn't they end restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

Vaccines brought in the COVID certs, omicron got rid of them.

• Advertisement

You werent restricted from doing anything. You were able to do all the things you set out to do. You were not prevented from doing anything.

It has already been explained to you how vaccines brought about the end of restrictions. There are multiple posts from me and others on this thread laying out the timelines and evidence to support this. You offer no rebuttal other than word games. Proof positive you are unable to challenge its truth.

I was. You can go back and Google the restrictions in place after we were 90% + fully vaccinated.

Feel free to do so

If omicron hadn't come along and delta was still about would the restrictions have been lifted ?not a chance.It was clear in Jan that omicron wasn't as dangerous to all so they lifted them.

Your statement has already been demonstrated to be false on the thread laying out the timelines for the lifting of restrictions here and elsewhere eg Denmark.

No it hasn't , omicron came along and then it was over

It was ending before Omicron here and elsewhere.

Nightclubs were reopening. Music venues at full capacity.

Your statement is demonstrably false with regard to timelines.

In December 2021 we had an 8pm curfew... There goes your argument

We didnt have that in early December.

It was brought in when? Come on answer up because the date demonstrates the falseness of your claims.

So we didnt have it when Delta was circulating and was in place briefly until the Omicron impact could be assessed.

There goes that argument.

• Advertisement

So you're admitting then that vaccines didn't end restrictions as we were still bringing in more in December 2021.

At least you finally see sense.

Advertisement