Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

True but if you look at similar videos from 2019 and before, hardly anyone wearing them. Now quite a number wearing them. A long term change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Even at peak covid, pre vaccine, the experts on the radio were saying your chance of catching covid when outdoors was 1 in a million.

I do think those wearing masks outdoors now, when not in a shop or standing in a close group chatting etc, have been brainwashed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

First of all .... Covid 19 is still around .... Covid is still a pandemic .... yes it still is serious for some mild for most .... it still does kill .... Covid itself has not really changed .... but how it is treated by media and govts is very different ....

I remember the early days vividly .... February waiting for the first case ... March watching normality become replaced by restrictions .... total lockdowns and stay at home order on 27th March 2020 .... watching news and any glimmer of hope to these awful restrictions being eased dominated people's behaviour in April May and June .... watching all the contradictions on issues like masks and the hardline support of lockdowns/stay at home .... after a summer of relative freedom came from autumn until near the middle of 2021 more lockdowns and stay at home orders .... they seemed to go on forever and the last one lasted 5 months which was defo ott esp since the vaccine was there by then !!! .... indeed some form of restrictions remained common up until February 2022 ....

Then the narrative changed all of a sudden with hardly any explanation .... from February 2022 all was given was advice to wear a mask in certain settings .... it is obvious why the narrative changed .... first you had that stupid war in Ukraine and the cost of living crisis caused by it ... severe restrictions would not be possible even if Covid took hold again ... a bit of mask wearing would have to suffice .... you also had certain personalities resign their posts .... most early Covid era HSE and NPHET top officials moved to other roles ... NPHET was disbanded .... everyone knew decisions were poor and overzealous but no one was admitting it ....

So latter era Covid became akin to the 2009-2010 Swine flu pandemic .... something played down/something to live with .... the opposite to the overzealous approach during early Covid .... why?? Other news items took over .... the war .... just like in the Swine flu era it was the banking crisis and the recession that took precedence ....

It is clear the narrative changed .... one minute Covid 19 was a dangerous pandemic next minute it was something we had to live with .... who knows what would have panned out if that war had not happened?? ... but it was clear there was too dogmatic and draconian a response to Covid early on and for a long time no one was listening to anything other than policy that included total lockdowns and total stay at home orders .... let's hope we have learned something here and we don't have a repeat of over the top often unnecessary restrictions during the next pandemic .... we need to get the balance right .... somewhere in the middle .... where we do not close down our country and restrict everyone's movements but where we do protect the vulnerable and keep tabs on the virus ....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is still a pandemic but your narrative is wrong on several levels as it leaves out impact of vaccines and Omicron and improved treatments. Effectively the virus did change because of that in terms of what X cases meant for hospitals.

The combination of its infectiousness and severity was the reason ultimately countries dialled things up to lockdown in 2020 and 2021.

Your timeline for 2021 and lockdowns and rollout of vaccines similarly doesnt track. It took considerable time to get people vaccinated from when vaccines were technically available. Measures started to change to eg hospitality for vaccinated only.

And it is never clear if you are talking about just Ireland or globally which muddies the waters.

And the main measures were lifted before Putins illegal war in Ukraine happened, the only remaining ones of negligible economic impact.

Your timeline of events is strangely off or else you have misunderstanding of vaccination.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The funny thing is that Covid is actually doing the rounds at the moment and nobody gives a fiddlers. I have heard of quite a few people getting it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's now one of many viruses out there. More serious than some, less than others. Like many viruses, there's a post-viral syndrome which is pretty bad for some people. But it's impossible to get worked up and apply mitigation measures for all of them.

What's different now is that some of the population have post infection immunity, some have vaccination-protection, and doctors have a lot more knowledge about how to treat this particular disease. None of that applied in mid 2020.

So yeah, I don't care any more about Covid than about RSV, novovirus, or influenza.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 not_sure_what_to_pick

People going out with symptoms and not caring. It's always some 'bug' or 'allergies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 not_sure_what_to_pick

Fair enough if you don't care for yourself but do you care about spreading it to those that are more vulnerable or just carry on and not care?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Carry on and not care, same as we did before covid.

If you have health issues then that's your problem, not mine (or the rest of the population for that matter).

The covid lockdown & restrictions spoiled some people, so much for all Leo's talk of "the new normal" with regards to masks, social distancing, hand shaking, etc, etc.

All gone, back to proper normal for us all, except for the covid diehards unfortunately, the ones who insist on trying to guilt trip or browbeat us into sticking with the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The other diseases I listed can be just as bad for "the vulnerable". We are all going to die of something eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

From what I can see, people aren't testing themselves anymore. Plausible deniability I guess.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The ones you promoted, even though it was obvious that they could not work in addition to being totalitarian and unforgiveable in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

According to you ;) There are no restrictions so that poster was talking bs and you are just jumping on the bandwagon .

Am glad it's over, no need to read nonsense like above . Bye now .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It might be another a year or two before the slowest catch up and realise it's over.

What's amazing is people still paying for test kits. I find this absolutely baffling. People have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I got another free box of the HSE ones as I'm healthcare. No, I don't personally care about Covid, but living with two 75 year olds I would get confined to my bedroom if I tested positive. Although they're well vaxxed they are still worried about it and although they wouldn't let it affect where they go (shopping really), I can understand their immediate reluctance to be around someone actively sick with it in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Threw out my remaining tests last week. I was keeping them to test myself before I went to see my Dad, who had cancer. But he's passed away now so there's no need to keep them. My mother is still about - 79, pretty spritely - but I don't think that's enough of a reason to keep testing. If I have a cold I just won't hug her when I see her, which is fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Don't you find it a bit controversial that despite being well vaxxed, they are still worried and you still feel the need to test yourself on a daily basis I assume?

You can't test positive if you're clever enough never to have taken one of the silly tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You’re literally describing you can’t move on from covid and riding your high horse. Personally if i’m not well i’ll just stay at home like i always did the rare time i’m sick even before covid came along.

The tests are silly in some ways. I woke up one Sunday morning feeling totally fine. I did a test that was negative ( family member had covid) before I visited my partner. She still caught it off me despite feeling 100% and a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Why voluntarily take a test and voluntarily confine yourself based on the result of said test when there's no legal requirement for it?

Nothing ignorant about that, it's called getting on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

???

I assume you are joking. I teresting thought process though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw a line of people at a hospital vaccination centre today.

Apparently the booster vax is only available until the end of the month which is causing a last minute rush.

I was waiting in the car for a patient and I noticed quite a few seemed to be in poor health and a few had masks on.

I guess they are some of the people who do care about COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He meant "coughing dodgers". Auto correct probably.

So you really bought 7 Covid tests per day (for how long?) and binned them all?

I never bought a single one. I ordered the free seven each day, including next day delivery and binned them.

• Advertisement

When were they free?

Was that at the beginning?

I cam only recall them being in the shops now.

Advertisement