Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Mig31 is not the old Foxbat. It has totally different engines and a suite of some of the most sophisticated avionics out there. It's about the most advanced in the Russian fleet. It's limited to just under Mach 3 but is happy out cruising at Mach 2 with a service ceiling of 80,000. the engines don't clap out like you suggest. That's the old MIG 25. It also launches AA missiles and has been doing. At one point last autumn they were firing six of these 200+ mile range fire and forget AA missiles(which Ukraine don't have) at aircraft within Ukraine per day.

The airspace in Iraq wasn't close to "heavily contested" . I've no idea where you'e getting that idea from. The Iraqi airforce were a busted flush within days and a couple of hundred of their fighters/bombers legged it to Iran for safety in the first fortnight. There were ground-air defences around places like Baghdad alright, many of which were taken out in the early days and weeks. A-10's flying around looking to splat tanks and the like were pretty much free to do so for the most part and had top down cover, yet still took a few hits from ground fire. Again nothing like Ukraine. To take the previous Stuka analogy it would be akin to comparing Stuka's operating in Poland versus operating over southern England.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It went to plan invade and defeat the Iraqi army ,job done,

The massive insurgencies and tribal blood letting wasn't a part of the original plan , but that insurgency was put down and defeated , then came isis and they were also defeated thanks to American firepower and Kurdish forces on the ground,

Not the Russians as some have previously claimed on boards.

But compare the losses of the Americans in Iraq less than 10,000 men for how many years fighting combat daily,and compare to the Russians losses in Ukraine for the last 11 months, and still increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

I wonder if Rand consulted the Ukrainians before publicizing their report? Does not look like it anyhow. And if the Rand Corporation ever found themselves in the same situation that Ukraine finds itself in, would it change their opinion about outcomes? Ukrainians have two choices, either passively allow themselves to be slaughtered, or to die fighting. That's it. Something that no Rand Corporation Executive has had to face, but would not be a bad thing if some of these "Corporation Executive's" come with an asse's roar of a conflict zone. A small dose of reality would go along way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

While I am not defending the poster you replied to as I am not. You are been generous with saying they defeated the iraq twice. In the first you can say they got them out of Kuwait but then let them go and in the second there reason for invading was a pure work of fiction and the power vacuum they caused let ISIS in who are still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like all previous Soviet wonderwaffen aircraft they are overrated and no the mig31 can't fly sustained Mach 2.8 as they claim,it's maybe be able to get up to that speed for all but limited time before the engines start to fail ,it's a point defense aircraft like the mig29 you believe can take a Squadron of F-16s and and beat them,seems no experts in the aviation world share your opinion neither do the US and Nato pilots who have flown both the mig and f16s

It's a show pony flys fast launches a cruise missile and then flees for safety of Russia .

And yet A10s got shot down in Iraq and multiple survived SAM hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I've already replied to that, as another poster brought up the same point. Suffice it to say here that cost is not always counted in purely monetary terms.

What makes you feel that Rand should consult the Ukrainians when they want the US government to follow a particular policy?

Post edited by deirdremf on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's not a vital bridge as there's simple ways to detour so it sounds like it was an ambush on the convoy passing over. Most likely partisans attacking the convoy. Melitopol has been an area of resistance attacks since the invasion started.

Because if they are as reliable as they claim when "advising" the US Government, shouldn't they be considering all the possible outcomes? That's like discussing something with only 3 out if the 4 participants, and then claiming that ALL points and possible outcomes have been discussed. Corporation's as a rule, cannot be relied on to give a 100% unbiased opinion, when their financial / business status may be affected.

"Cost is not always counted in purely monetary terms" How very true! In the case of Ukraine, its counted in bloodshed, and lives lost. And that's the here and now actual physical cost, and not some re-alignment of the world that you think will happen. The world is in a permanent flux of re-alignment in any case, and always has been. But guess what? I think that the west and the US will come out just fine after the next "alignment". Possibly even stronger. I wonder what ( if anything ) the Rand Corporation have to say about the diminishing influence a defeated Russia will have globally?

They're all here, piling one after the other. Such fun!

Who said anything about a utopia? Believe me, I'd love if it was all about utopias and ethics, but that isn't how politics works.

I am merely trying to make sense of the information that comes my way. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if you don't like my interpretation of it.

Already answered, see an earlier post of mine, https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120173607/#Comment_120173607.

I don't think so, I'm happy with the research I've already done. But thanks anyway for taking the time to give me your advice.

I'm fine, thanks. I don't need to prove anything to you. I provide my opinions, you can take em or leave em. It's all the one to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭junkyarddog

How to tell the fake putin from the real one according to girkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yes.

I'm imagining the thoughts of a somewhat neutral Ukrainian.

So you've been through a revolution then an awful civil war for more than half a decade, in the most corrupt country in Europe then things gets so FUBAR that a neighbour, who doesn't recognize your revolutionary government and who is also vastly more wealthy and militarily powerful state, invades you and goes on to annex a large part of your country. After multiple waves of mobilization you are likely to know people who have either been killed at the front in active service or were unfortunate enough to get caught up in the conflict as a civilian and were killed or injured. It's likely that part of your family has either left the country as a refugee or has fled to another area, maybe even to the country that has stepped into the civil war and invaded. In the last few months the mobilization has increased in intensity and you now are starting to fear that the recruiters will come for you or someone you love soon. The military have continuously failed to protect civilian infrastructure from air attacks, this has caused massive energy problems across the whole country. You worry about the economy as tax revenue has collapsed and it's difficult to get many types of goods. There has recently been a purge in the government that has been called an anti corruption measures - you wonder why this is happening now as the leader in power was elected on a mandate of anti corruption. Has this corruption had a big effect on the war effort? It's hard to know and worrying that this is happening now to the leadership of the country. Reports of very high causalities are coming from the malestrom in Donbass but it's difficult to find out what is true and what is not. Sometimes people say that the security forces have been very harsh on people with dissident opinions and also people talk about all kinds of rumors of disappearances of so called collaborators. I'm pretty scared I wish it wasn't like this.

We’ll, that’s a minute of my life I’ll never get back.

Fantasy stuff, was expecting the Klingons to make an appearance.

WHEN NATO forces get involved get back.

Good luck with the fan fiction version of analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

YEP. Im having to be careful here and not break any rules, but I can see your issue and would suggest you look at my last post on the previous page, see what you might learn about your audience from its full "content".

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But you're not providing your opinion, you are parroting russian propaganda conistently without providing your own opinion for how the special operation/war is resolved.

And the reason for that, as everybody who reads your posts knows, is that you want Ukraine to be abandoned to russia instead of russia decimating themselves in embarrassing fashion on the world stage and:

• Losing all their political influence
    • Losing their energy customers
    • Losing the next generation of their country
    • Losing their economy
    • Losing all the customers for their military equipment
    • Made NATO even more powerful

And the worst bit for russia is that even if they are successful in Ukraine, this remains true.

So let me see, I have provided a link to a document produced by an important organisation close to the US government and the US military-industrial complex, and financed in part by the US government - and yet you tell me I am "parroting Russian propaganda"?

I'm going to ask you a simple little question: when did the US government begin to finance Russian propaganda?

Oh I'm aware of the Rand Corporation...hard to live in the west and not know about it. But that still does not answer my question to you re your comment about why should they consult with Ukraine when compiling a report to be presented to the US Government. As one of the two main protagonists' in the war, Ukraine's position is surely paramount to any discussion, especially in a report to the US?

How does one quantify reputational cost? In a business, for instance, when people start to look for alternative suppliers because they find someone cheaper or more reliable, or some intangible aspect of your business model upsets them?

In this case we could be talking about the cost resulting from people beginning to diversify away from dollar purchases, or suddenly finding that the US is not strong enough to force them to remain in the Bretton-Woods system. I'm sure you are smart enough to think of further examples of the US' loss of hegemony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

I think this is what Ursula van der leine was referring to when she mentioned 100k Ukrainian losses last year. I suspect the civilian losses for Ukraine are catastrophic rather than their military losses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I see you haven't denied your wish that the west would abandon Ukraine.

Your question was answered back thread on who provided the funding for the report, your reading of that report about the high cost of Ukraine is also where the russian propaganda fits in (and you tried to sidestep to non-monetary cost, but as shown, that's untrue as well).

And while asking questions of others, you still refuse to detail your own opinion on a plan for peace.

"Hey Big Zel, I'm doing a report on what Murica's best interest is for Uncle Sam, what should I put in it?"

There is only one external state that gets to write reports for Uncle Sam telling them what is in America's interest - and that state is not Ukraine. America writes their own reports on everybody else.

Have you tried fanfiction.net? I believe they are still taking on new members.

I see you haven't denied your wish that the west would abandon Ukraine.

I have never expressed a wish in relation to this topic, nor will I. I would appreciate if you didn't try to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

They're also heavily dependent on Russian fertilisers to keep their food supplies ticking over. Píss off the Russians and they'll end up with a massive famine. India are also in the same position. One of the reasons you won't see them moving against Russia even if Russia is severely weakened. They're in a very compromised position at the moment. Rocking the both on either side could tip them over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Describing the details, she noted that the journalists were about to enter Bakhmut. They stopped for 20 minutes away to take a panoramic shot of the explosions in Bakhmut, the work of the enemy's artillery, and to film the journalist in the frame.

"The explosions were coming non-stop. I saw Russian SUs flying around and dropping bombs on Yahidne village with my own eyes. A new pillar of white smoke would rise every five minutes. 27.01.2023

https://imi.org.ua/en/news/russians-deliberately-fire-at-eska-televize-journalists-near-bakhmut-i50422

So basically you are saying The Orcs can fly CAS in Bakhmut, but for Ukraine to do the same thing would be unthinkable because of the danger, so they shouldn't have A-10s because it would be unwise to use them. With your take on military aviation, Ukraine should keep it's own SU-25s safe on the ground somewhere so they don't lose those either, but end up losing the war.

Not being prepared to put assets in harms way will guarantee you lose and your new masters get to inherit your pristine materiél.

Given the Orcs are happy to use SU-25s for CAS in Bakhmut, I don't believe the notion of Ukrainians doing the same with A-10's is anyhing other than sensible. What would the US do?... oh, they'd do something wild and unexpected like have some Mig-29's nearby to engage anything the other side sent against the A-10's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

China's economy would be shut off overnight by blockades if they piss off the USA. They need the west to buy their crap so let them try something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

It's costing something like 15 dollars a month per tax payer. Ya peanuts

Carrying drones for Russia?

Iranian convoy hit near the border with Iraq and Syria.

Pretty cool looking drones with smart software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Funded by the German government? Not mooching off the EU to reimburse for every thing they send like their neighbour next door. “Dem German putin puppets”….

Advertisement