Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

What would have been an average price for them ?

has O’Connor ceased his incalf heifer enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Yeah O'Connor finished last year.

I'd say over 4k. Can't justify that myself for a commercial suckler. I'll look at pedigree LM instead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

How big of Charolais weanling bulls will €900 each buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

About 280-320 kg depending on quality based on what I saw yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Funny enough in gortatlea last Wednesday the bucket reared calves and 280kg bulls were mental but there was bulls around 400kg ( the 2nd grade) black lms and chocolate colour charolais making only 2 euro a kg. A few of the big lads who buy them to finish next June are plaughed with pneumonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sixmilebridge yesterday you buy 360kg second grade sucklers for 950. There was two Ch bulls 425&,443 sold for 1k. Only thing about the place is the weights are very fresh. Weanlings bulls would be unloaded for 9.30 to 10.30 and sold from 11.30 to 1230. So no hanging around.

Problem with Gortnalea is weanling could be hanging around 3-4 hours to be sold. As well it's a night time mart and a good few finishers wait to collect those bulls the next day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

True, smb is very quick and usually handy numbers but quality would be lacking, most go to ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A lot of Limerick cattle go to Sixmilebridge mart, so a bit of Dairy breeding there. A lot of the Clare lads would consider Limerick cattle a bit soft and too well fed. 😉 Cattle in Ennis mart would be better in general.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭High bike

Are all Weanlings sold in Marts properly weaned? What I mean is might they be leaving their mothers the morning of the sale are they stress free? I had intended selling bigger cattle and replacing with weanling bulls but weanling prices are excessive at the moment. €1000 will buy less than 300kg animals which could be sold when the early bite of grass comes next spring but would this be profitable?

• Advertisement

A large percentage are sold straight off the mother's.

Buying them is all about management. The heavier ones will have been warned at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

Surely this is unfair to the buyers.

What minimum weight/age weanling would be properly weaned? Most will cost in excess of €3 a kg I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I would not touch a weanling until a cold snap comes. I can name good few weanling buyers that are in a hoop with pneumonia in stock the last 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Try to remember the ‘Serenity Prayer’:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 

Courage to change the things I can, 

And wisdom to know the difference.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I feel that I am being unfairly treated my posts are being laughed at. I am looking for advice and information but you are making a joke of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

I feel you are being over sensitive.

Look at the posts above. No one has been nothing but nice to you.

That included Grueller, bass, duke, SS and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

People are just calling it as it is.

About 15 years ago there was a scheme where weanlings that were weaned 2 weeks or something before sale received a grant. The sellers that actually weaned (not just on paper) took hit around the ring from buyers because the milk shine was gone off there cattle. So obviously majority buyers don't care.

End of the day it's the salers right to present there products in whatever way they want and the buyers right to buy or not.

I never get this school of thought that that follows through to meat processors that they have to take product and compensate you for your costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Around here all weanlings come straight off the cow and go to the mart. Just go to any weanling sale and you will hear them roaring. Nothing in it for the seller to wean property. It will only cost him to do it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Automatically taking your product and compensating you for your costs is a farmer thing If you were in any other business you would have to get a profitable outlet for what you produce. We are lucky that we are a protected species.We cry wolf and we get cash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I was trying to be nice. Life is short and you have to accept some things just are the way they are.

One sure way to lift the mood is to help others. Could you try to offer help or advice to others who ask questions on here?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d say most weanlings sold in marts aren’t properly weaned. Ideally weanlings will have got at least two worm doses, have been fully vaccinated against Pneumonia and be eating nuts/ration before they’re sold. Yeah, a lot of weanlings are stressed when sold you only have to walk into a weanling sale in the Autumn and hear the bawling to see this. I wouldn’t say prices are excessive, it costs a lot of money and takes plenty of time and work to produce them, Sucker cow numbers are falling for good reason. There’s always plenty of value to be had buying weanlings but you’ll have to spend time going to/watching mart sales or getting someone you can trust to do this for you.

Buying weanlings in the Autumn and selling in the Spring can be profitable, there’s money in everything if you’re good enough at it. As for selling unweaned calves being unfair to buyers, everything to do with beef/suckler farming is unfair unfortunately. If buyers aren’t happy they could always try producing their own calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I always wean them here, possibly due to being slow to sell. I've only 15 and usually bring what I can over the winter and sell around April. Or sell the lighter lads this time of year and feed the few bulls.

Taking different approach this year. Most weaned 3 weeks now at 8-5 months. Will sell the few heavier bulls in coming weeks and try keep lighted lads and heifers over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Would there be many of this years April/May or around that born weanlings running though marts at the moment?

Ya there is a lot of lighter weanlings sold as well. A.lot of second grade would be sub 250 kgs and even 200 kgs. They. An often be bought around 2.40-2.80/ kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mr..

I sell mine straight off the cow as mentioned above they have the "milk shine" but on the flip side if they were properly weaned you might have repeat customers the following year if less chance of sickness and used to eating meal.

Horses for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭High bike

Well mine are straight off the cow too but the creep is out for a month before sale so they are on meal

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Mine be straight of the cow too here but they'd be on creep since 1st week of August. I sell all bulls and keep heifers over the winter and I notice that it's only the cow that roars. The weanlings heifers be more roaring at me for the nuts in the morning than for the cow.

I know when I was in the mart last week there is a lot of hungry looking calves that never saw a nut in comparison to previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Are the hungrier calves making much less? Giving the cost of nuts I can understand farmers not buying

Advertisement