Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rsa supporting e-scooters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they don’t really take a car off the road. They take people off public transport or there feet.

How big are moped wheels ? Where is the centre of gravity on a moped ?

if you hit a small kerb on a moped , it’s a hell of alot more forgiving than on a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So the majority of their customers, 60%, are moving from public transport or walking/cycling that's not a good.

If it got me off my miserable overcrowded train that's a win in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

They do in my case and a few more that I know.

It would be interesting to see more studies on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anecdotal but in my workplace which is a large factory complex on the edge of Limerick city they most definitely have replaced cars for a lot of people, especially females. Girls don't really want to cycle but they seem to prefer the scooters. We're having to build more bike sheds because of it, that's definitely cars off the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to be clear, so long as they aren't moving towards car transport, getting people off PT and into scooters isn't a bad thing. It's not the aim but all it does is create more space on PT for others. Loads of people on my train have scooters, there journeys are too far but a number of the short hop ones are a number of spaces on PT for other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Raichu

Yes. It is a legal requirement because in the event of an accident caused by you (or a third party) whoever is NOT at fault will be compensated through the insurance for injuries/damages/both.

So if someone’s acting the bollox on an escooter or a bike and they crash into me and damage my car why should I have to claim on my insurance? That’s my point.

If you’re going to use a scooter or bike on public roads (where 4 year olds should not be on their bicycles & in any case a child wouldn’t be liable it’s their parents) yes you should be required to have valid insurance in the event you cause damage to someone’s property. Or what if they’re not paying mind hit someone walking and hurt them?

Who said also it had to be prohibitively expensive anyway? Most people are happy enough to pay €120+ a year for insurance for their iPhone or smart watches right? So why not for their bike. I’d buy insurance for a bike tbh if it got robbed or damaged I’d be covered. Same goes for the scooters.

Do I think they should have licences, tax, etc? No. Do I think if you’re using a public road and liable to cause damage or harm to someone or their property? Absolutely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at best, it's going to be a $50 to a $5 problem. if the administration costs alone didn't outweigh the actual payouts, i'd be astounded.

it'd act as a barrier to cycling, at a point where the government are trying to get more people on their bikes. it'd be a massively retrograde step.

• Advertisement

Most people are not dumb enough or happy to pay €120 a year for phone insurance

insurance is compulsory for cars because the damage they do is beyond the means of most drivers.

bikes don’t do expensive damage so it’s not an issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once hit a car (from behind) on a bike at probably 25km/h; the amount of damage done was of a level that the driver waved it off.

if i did that driving my car, it would have been thousands to fix. an economic writeoff of the other car anyway, given its age.

that’s what you think. Gadget insurance was worth nearly $60bn in 2021 with the expected growth of close to $200bn by 2031. Of course that’s pennies compared to the car insurance industry sitting at over 1.1 trillion globally by 2027 if it continues its current growth. But still to be 1/4 the size in around the same amount of time means people certainly are buying gadget insurance.

Yes maybe so and that’s why it doesn’t exist. But I just can’t be arsed with cyclists who try to side step the fact car drivers are NOT the only ones who can cause accidents or damage to property/people. But as well as insurance for motors being required to compensate a third party if you cause an accident etc, it protects you if your car is stolen. I’d buy insurance for my bike if possible to protect against possible theft. If that means I’m also covered on the off chance I cycle into someone’s car and cause damage then that’s just gravy.

I’m not a big fan of this car vs bike craic anyway but it pisses on my cornflakes when it’s the average motorist being treated as if they’re the only cause of accidents. I see as many cyclists breaking traffic laws as I do motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

The difference between the phone insurance analogy and the bike insurance you are proposing, is that the phone insurance is an optional payment .

With regards to motorists not being the only ones to cause accidents, it's really the cost of those accidents (including lives) that's important here

Yes but my point being people are happy enough to pay what they consider a reasonable fee to insure their device against loss of money due to loss, damage or theft.

Equally if you wish to use a bicycle as your main mode of transportation why would you be opposed to a small fee to insure your bike against damage or theft? or protect yourself if you’re liable to foot the bill for damage to someone else’s property?

I just don’t get the pushback but whatever.

Because it hasn't worked (for bicycles) anywhere else. (that I'm aware of)

For eScooters and the faster eBikes they are effectively motorbikes. In other countries those rules are enforced.

Whereas Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

Some people are happy enough to pay for phone insurance. There are ads on YouTube for bicycle insurance, so I'd imagine some people are happy enough to pay for this too. There you go, bike insurance sorted.

Unless your contention is that bike insurance should be mandatory. In which case the phone analogy doesn't hold up, and we're back to costs again

I see as many cyclists breaking traffic laws as I do motorists.

that does undermine your argument though; if it does happen at that rate, and it was causing issues, it'd be a much bigger problem.

and by all means, you're more than welcome to get public liability insurance for yourself; many people do insure their bikes against theft but it's very rare that that also insures the cyclist in a public liability sense.

are there any jurisdictions where cyclists are required to have cycling insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I just can’t get my head around the inability of so many people to understand the fundamental need for car insurance. It’s nothing to do with who breaks more ROTR. It’s nothing to do with who uses the road. It’s nothing to do with numbers of users. Someone with better googling skillz than me can run a comparison of the economic cost to society every year of RTAs caused by motor vehicles every year versus those caused by cyclists. That’s not even taking into account the much greater but incalculable cost of human suffering. It’s nothing to do with “bikes v cars”. How is it that hard to understand the basis for insurance? Ditto ‘road tax’.

• Advertisement

Not entirely sure why people think there is a need to drag bicycles into a thread primarily about eScooters. Or every other thread

These are tired old arguments usually unresearched.

If you mean those who don't pay it. I don't think it's because they don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its incredible, there are people who spend all day everyday arguing for it on social media like Twitter and boards. I honestly think they are the stupidest and most incapable of critical thought on the whole internet, more stupid than Trump supporters or climate change deniers or anything else you can think of, I just cant get my head around it either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car insurance is compulsory because the damage caused by motorists who cannot cover the cost of very specific accidents is more than society is willing to bear the cost of. Every motoring fatality costs us close to a million and that's from a few years ago. Insurance was brought in, in many countries because bringing people to court for a cost they could never cover was beyond ludicrous and cost even more money.

If scooter accidents go this way, then it will happen for them but hasn't happened elsewhere. Same for bicycles.

At this point in time, insurance for cyclist will cost more in administration than it would save the state. That is a a fact.

I am actually a few IQ points lower for having read some of the stupid, ignorant sh1t here over the last few minutes.

I'm starting to think a general intelligence test is needed before either driving a car or posting on the internet because there is clearly an issue with both.

Forget about the cause of accident and look at the value.

a bike hitting a wall at 20 k. Will bounce of it, a car will knock it down

any cyclist in a club or a member of cycling Ireland has insurance. Member ship is €50 a year https://www.cyclingireland.ie/get-involved/membership/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they bang on about insurance and helmets because they hate people who use bikes and want to make it harder for people to just jump on a bike and go somewhere. there's nothing more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ian Walker said something very similar. Probably is some truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If it's off PT, as others have said, that's not necessarily a bad thing. One of the most common excuses for not using PT in Dublin is capacity/ "they're too full".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Advertisement