Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

What would worry me about them is that their before/after pics don't look great, I mean specifically the hairlines and how fake they look. Considering that they are supposed to be the results they are showing off then its not a great start. tbf I might be over analysing it a bit, but at first glance one guy nearly looked better with his natural receding hairline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I bit the bullet and bought one, Ive been basically reading about them for the last day or so and unlike the other seemingly novelty things I am not seeing anything sort of pushing back at these in any strong way, clinical trials seem positive. I will probably eventually get a hair transplant but the only thing that puts me off getting one is the insistence of the good surgeons on taking Finasteride which for me (rightly or wrongly) is a problem. I might create a google drive or something with ongoing pics, could be messy though because I tend to let my hair grow a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

that will be quite a change my friend. Go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you're a Norwood 7 why not first try smp with shaved head? Can always do transplant on top of it after if you aren't happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 expensivefinish

Got 4000 grafts today in Turkey (apparently, I don't think it was that many, am only NW3 and only goes back half of my scalp).

Quite impressed with the clinic, very professional and everything was organised perfectly. English was limited in most nurses but the doctors spoke it and was accompanied by a translator the full time. Guess time will tell on how good it turns out.

Pleasantly surprised that's been no pain yet even after anaesthetic wore off (may be too early for it however).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Who did you do it with? Did you feel much during the procedure? How much was it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 expensivefinish

Got it done with Vera

Nope felt nothing during the procedure thankfully, obviously felt the local anaesthetic injections but nothing more than a few ooh and ahh sounds out of me. Kicks in very quick once it's injected. It wore off then a couple hours after the procedure.

Paid 3250 including the accommodation (also paid an extra 8% on top for paying via card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am 2.5 months post-hair transplant.

I can see about 70% of new hair follicles. However, the remaining ~30% is just smooth skin with no sign of hair erupting from underneath the skin.

Is this normal?

• Advertisement

Good to know this. But the clinic guaranteed 90% hair graft survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Don't think any clinic can guarantee that mate. I myself am going to Eugenix in March for my second HT first one was with Dr Saifi in Poland 3 years ago.

hmm Ailesbury by any chance? What they'll likely offer (rather than a refund) is a free additional procedure to take more grafts until the original 90% coverage is achieved.

This is risky though as the donor area could start looking bare and you won't have much left if you decide to try a different clinic.

It was done in Budapest, Hungary.

Yes, they said they will do free procedure but i won't be going through all the hassle again.

Using fin+min spray daily. Hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ceolaguscraic

Was the procedure with Saifi a failure? Getting a guaranteed decent surgeon seems to be such a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 boylano21

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the posts, very helpful reading through all of them.

I'm considering getting a HT. Based on some online consultations in a Norwood 5 and estimated to need 3,000 - 4,000 grafts.

Has anyone been to Bruno Ferreira in Portugal for their procedure? Seems to have very good reviews online and fully booked out until 2024.

I'm also considering Dr Nel here in Dublin.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

I hear great things about Eugenix,

How much is it costing?

I'm heading to Bisanga myself next week for my 2nd ht.

No but he only does 2000 grafts max you cant notice I had a HT just I taught I would of got more Plus he sold me CR labs shampoo which was €350 for 3 months supply and told me to get a hair laser which was €500 and both done absolutely nothing!

Yes everyone raves about them I knew about them before my first HT but didnt want to travel all the way to India. €5,200 for 3200+ grafts which 1200 will be off my beard as they reckon my donor area is poor. Dr Saifi said the same to me in Poland when I got my first one done.

But have to say I contacedt 4 clinics 2 in Turkey 1 in Holland and Eugenix. The 2 in Turkey one came back with a mad price and was rude the other one just stopped replying this was after I sent videos pictures answered questions etc The place in Holland was good but way out of my price range. Eugenix was the best out of all them by far! loads of chat, examples of similar cases, options etc and packages that will suit my budget plus 2 45 min phone consultations! They couldn't do enough to be fair! And everyone raves about them on hair forums! Just a pity India is so far away! but fcuk it hopefully this be the last one (this been my second)

I think you've made a great choice.

You wouldn't get anybody of their quality in Turkey at that price and arguably they'd be better than the best in Turkey anyway.I thought they'd be more expensive.

Best of luck with it.

Happy to recommend HairPalace, Hungary. That's where I got my HT done in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Could you share more details, please? Type of the HT, how many grafts, cost, follow up procedure?

FUE2 HT.

I got 2000 grafts for €2200.

Follow up at week 1, week 4 and 3 month by sending pictures of your scalp. And the surgeon comments on your progress.

Excellent communication from the office, always replied to my query within 24 hours.

Clinic is very modern and it's the surgeon who did the whole procedure. Unlike in Turkey where technicians are doing the procedure, and only supervised by the surgeon.

I am using topical minoxidil and finasteride spray from Hims.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭fire_man

Has anyone tried Bon secours in Tralee for treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Duke1984

How did you find Saifi?? I’ve had 2 procedures with him. First one I was happy with but had work in my crown area for the second and my results were not great

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AnthonyWalsh07

Can the topical minoxidil and finasteride spray from Hims be purchased in Ireland ? i can only see a UK address but no option to change shipping to Ireland

Not great but not terrible. The fact he sold me his CR shampoos which weren't cheap & told me to get a hair laser which does absolutely nothing had been using it for 3 years! Put me of going back to him.. His work is good just doesn't do enough graphs. I think I payed nearly €6000 3 years ago for 2000 graphs.. but nobody noticed I had a HT not even my barber.

Post edited by benny79 on

I used AddressPal to get it delivered to Ireland. There was some custom fee also (I think 16€ or so on a 6 months supply)

The hair laser.. that's one of those laser cap things?

Dr Nel was also suggesting one of those to me when I visited

how much is a 6 month supply? Is it actually proven to be as effective as the oral, or still early days?

• Advertisement

If I recall right it was around €170 plus custom duty for 6 months.

There is a fair evidence that topical should work also.

Not great but not terrible. The fact he sold me his CR shampoos which weren't cheap & told me to get a hair laser which does absolutely nothing had been using it for 3 years! Put me of going back to him.. His work is good just doesn't do enough graphs. I think I payed nearly €6000 3 years ago for 2000 graphs.. but nobody noticed I had a HT not even my barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Duke1984

Yes I agree with you. I didn’t buy the shampoo but he was pushing it on me. I would like to get a third procedure in the next year or two and I won’t be going back to him . I am unsure to go to somewhere in Ireland like tir na nog. They post a lot on social media but I see very little final results from patients. Other option would be to travel again maybe to Belgium or Spain . I know I would be paying a lot but it would prob be my last one so maybe going to a top doctor will pay off .

Definitely dont go to anywhere in Ireland! I'm going to Eugenix in India I knew they were brilliant from the start but I just didn't want to travel all the way to India but this been my second and the fact my donor area isnt great I said fcuk it, its only a days travelling and I know they are brilliant and reasonably priced. Im getting 3200 graphs for €5,200 (includes a 1000 graphs from bread) + Flights. (€800). I have been talking to a lad from Dublin who when 3 times so surely I can go once 😂

Post edited by benny79 on

It is pricey alright when compared to Budapest, Hungary. I hope their services are superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

You'd wonder why did he have to go three times. Surely that cost the guts of €20k.

He was totally bald on top in fairness they done some job! but yeah I'd say it cost a good few quid..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ceolaguscraic

Has anyone here had experience with De Freitas? Booked out until middle of 24 and a pricey enough quote.

That the chap in Holland? Great work but very pricey I be looking at Dr Bisanga for that money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LeoGarben

Hi boylano21! Thanks for reaching out and starting this discussion. I came across your post and thought I'd chime in. A hair transplant can be a big decision, and it's great to see you researching and considering different options. I haven't personally been to either Bruno Ferreira or Dr. Nel, but I've heard good things about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

My hair has been thinning for the past five years. Literally no hair grows on the top of my head, I’m only 29 and this is really affecting my confidence! Anyone who has got it done any advice. What’s the procedure like, any pain, results timeframe??? Is turkey the best place to go and what price should I be paying for a good job? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 DOD555

Hi all, appreciate all the great advice here but wondering if anyone got it done in the Beacon in Sandyford? Or heard any reviews. Strongly considering getting it done and preference to do it in Ireland. Think I’m about a 5 on the Norwood scale, it’s fairly thin all over the top (very thick on the sides though so good donar areas). Done a free consultation with them a few months ago and they quoted me 7k for 6000-6500 grafts. Rang Blackrock and Dr Nels place and they both said it would be very expensive for that amount of grafts (can’t remember exactly but more than 20k). Going abroad seems like a minefield and don’t really have the time. I see that Growclub place is also starting to do them in Ireland for a fixed fee, anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Would you not just go to turkey and get it for half the price? They’re the experts in hair transplants. All your need is 3 days to go over and come back and saving a fortune.

I'm flying from Istanbul to Dublin soon...Will be interesting to see if any transplant recipients are on board...always wondered how they handle the 4 hour flight. Particularly those with crown implants. Don't think your supposed to put weight on the transplants for a few days, so how to avoid the seat head cushion making contact as the seats are tiny on Turkish airlines.

Haha! They have the highest number of clinics, over a thousand apparently. They also have some fairly lax laws and regulations,you don't even need to be a ht surgeon to preform an op! Turkey is the last place I'd be going,out of all of them the only Turkish doctor I'd go to is Pekinaar and he's the same price as the best surgeons in Europe.

Just to add there are some decent budget options in Turkey like Fuecapilar and mid range ones like HLC but if you're serious about HTs you're looking at Belgium,Spain and Portugal mainly.

• Advertisement

Neck/travel pillow,it won't be an issue.

They sell decent ones at the airport for €39.

Apart from the crick in your neck.

I can actually guarantee even with a pillow it's impossible to keep back of head away from the seat pillow as I've flown on one recently

The limited space doesn't allow for your head to be closer to the seat in front, particularly when food is served.

I observed a few guys on the flight from Istanbul today, they just had huge patches around the back of their heads to lean back on...though I also saw several others on other flights just boarding with bloody donor areas so I dunno

It's likely the leather head cushions on the chairs have some residual dried blood on them though not visible as the seats are dark blue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Can't understand why people don't just stay in Turkey for a week or so after the surgery to let it heal a bit before travelling, it's a pretty cheap country so it'd be easy to make a holiday out of it and enjoy relaxing and making sure none of the follicles fall out

I stayed in Budapest for 3 weeks after hair transplant. I wasn't comfortable to travel the following day and the stress associated with it that could potentially effect the follicles. I am very happy with my decision and seeing positive effects now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement