Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

He had to go and buy a new putter after the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭dublin49

same story as yesterday.quick start but leaking shots after that,pity could ave been in the mix but obviously does not have the consistency at the moment.

Sluggish back 9 from Shane yesterday. I presume half the players are already on holiday mode and just picking up some turkey vouchers and be on eldrick good books

• Advertisement

Head must be already on plane home. A snowman today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unimpressive start to the year by Shane in the Hero Cup. Let's hope this is a great year for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

$h1te start but it's early days. From the bit of coverage, I watched, it didn't seem like there was much intensity or grit involved. There were barely any spectators (didn't catch the singles tbf). I'd say some of the GB&IRL lads would be disappointed not to take advantage of the chance to show off their matchplay credentials. Despite all of this, it's still quite a beneficial experience of being in a team event and environment. Equally as beneficial for Donald, his VCs and the backroom team.

It has to be worth continuing with in future but with more promotion and importance assigned to it. The president's cup would be a bigger deal for the USA players and they have that event as regular preparation. Having a similar comp of Europe vs Rest Of World would probably be better prep than the hero cup but it's unlikely to be a runner. We'd already have that event if it was feasible.

given how much store Shane puts in Team golf I don't think the format necessarily suits his game as not too many match play highlights the last decade and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

I’d forgotten it was on. Seems like a totally pointless exercise.

• Advertisement

unless they beat US and then it will be declared a master stroke.Pardon the pun,

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Feck all advertising here that even people I know who are in to golf either didn't know or couldn't be bothered. Everyone has one eye ahead for the weekend and then Dubai.

Wanted to go myself and had a ticket but work took over but there was no FOMO.

Hopefully Shane gets his head in it for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Have a feeling this could be a very good season for Lowry based on last year results.

He started last year really consistently and could have won the Honda. Carried that form into The Players and Masters. I was surprised at how well he did at Augusta.

No confidence in his Match Play prospects or Ryder Cup. At Hero Cup he lost all 4 matches. Total singles record: 8-19-3 and 3-4 in team match play.

Think the PGA (Oakhill) and British Open (Hoylake) will his best chance in the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lowry leads in Abu Dhabi

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

While his record isn't great I still think he can have a strong ryder cup. Lets not forget in Whistling straits he was basically playing by himself and carrying Tyrell around. McIlroy was no help to him either and a loss to Cantlay in the singles isn't a disaster considering the form he was in then. He's a better player now than in previous years so interesting to see how he gets on at the Dell. Have to be optimistic about him because by god do we need him to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Poor day so far, 4 off the lead now going into back 9

Don’t want to be too harsh but Shane played that 15th like a man who has given up.

The chip on was average.

Back to back bogeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In meltdown mode

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Complete capitulation. Wtf? Into the water of the 16th and then a duff back into the water from the drop zone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

what a collapse, will be bitterly disappointed, so close and then to drop so far away from contention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Big time implosion from Shane there.

For some reason he didn't prosper on the back nine being 2 over as against 11 under on front half.

Poor matchplay followed by poor tournament ( given he was highest ranked player who couldn't even match old man Harrington) -Shane needs to gather himself together fairly smartish and get the results his talent would justify as a world top twenty player -although he may slide down a little after this.

he missed a tiddler for birdie on easy par 5 around the turn and I would say that rattled him,he then bounced back with 2 birdies and was right in the hunt for top 3 at least and half a million,but the wheels came off and when they do with Shane he seems to go into a funk.Funny at the start of week he might have taken his final position but certainly not the manner he arrived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Poor tournament haha he had one bad round, relax. Plenty of golf to go this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Jesus what are you talking about? “Couldn’t even match old man Harrington”. What does this even mean? Such total nonsense throughout your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Oops , silly me . Clean forgot - only idolatry of the likeable lad from Offaly is allowed on the thread.

Failure on my part to apply a profusion of laudatory adjectives to the living golf legend that is Shane Lowry is an act of unforgiveable folly. What the hell was I thinking -I as much as blasphemed against a sporting God -in a thread that is a veritable shrine of awestruck veneration of a sporting colossus and a man of the people to boot...a genuine golfing genius.

However it's a small comfort to know that a bevy of loyal adoring fans will take up the cudgel to defend the heroic one from all slurs and slanders and any comments that fall short of full undiluted worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Wow! I think that post deserves some sort of award! Not sure what for, but you really told everyone off! Fair play to you.

I’m a huge fan of both Padraig and Shane and was hoping for an Irish 1-2 today. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be. As someone who is a lot older than Padraig, I wasn’t all that happy with the “old man” reference, but there’s really no need to get all that worked up about a stupid comment from someone who’s just trying to wind people up.

Anyway, I think Padraig may still have another win on the regular tour in him (maybe even a major) and I’m pretty confident we haven’t seen the last of Shane, even though his head must be melted right now.

Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Shane has said numerous times he doesn't play for the money - I think this is evident in scenarios like this... when he is in contention on the final day but things aren't going his way he seems to just say F**k it and throws the towel in.

I'd say he gets pretty down on himself and takes things hard.

Might not play for money but ranking points he does.

Yesterday finish we will find out if it effects him or not when he’s in the same position again.

i would take that comment re money with a grain of salt,there was a half a million on offer for him yesterday and he is not that wealthy he can ignore that.

When the wheels come off on Shane it would appear he cant regroup as well as some others can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Like a lot of us I'd say! He's a emotional character! He has no money worries and I for one would believe he doesn't play for money as the money will come.. Sure he probably earned what we earn in a year just in this weekend alone.. If be more pissed off than anyone but he had 3 great rounds! He is human..

Advertisement