Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Shane's uncle passed away suddenly during the week. Impressive to be in contention under them circumstances especially so far from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Neewollah

Very sad for Shane and family. Hopefully he can get a fast start tonight and get in contention for the win. I'm sure he'll be playing for his uncle all the way around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brutal start for Lowry, bogey on the first.

And Kirk birdies the first. All the life sucked out in 1st 10 mins

Yep, 6 shots between them. It needed to be the other way around. That first hole was playing under par as well.

Lowry much better on the second, he had a good approach for a birdie opportunity. Kirk got a lucky break on his drive, could have gone out of bounds. Still in the bushes though.

Lowry missed his birdie putt.

• Advertisement

2 beautiful shots on the par 5 3th by Shane. It deserved an eagle, but it just slides by, so it's a birdie.

Some lovely shots since the 1st. Putter not cooperating unfortunately

Got a chance now to say, it's great to hear Jack Nicklaus comment from the studio about all sorts, about advice for some of the players and changes that have been made to the course. There were 4 changes made I think, Shane gave some advice for a bunker on the 16th, saying it was too easy. Very generous with his time. Getting a little forgetful, but appreciate it while you can.

His wife Barbara gave an interview yesterday, talking about Honda and their sponsorship which ends this year, I think after decades at least. How much Honda have helped out and their contributions to charity. They're a class couple, Jack and Barbara.

Interesting tournament despite Lowry being out of it. Lots of subplots, Gerard, qualifier, landed in the water on the last made a bogey. Still, that finish will help him finishing in the top 10. Then Kirk and Cole, ups and downs. It's a match play shootout between these 2. Big repercussions for all involved.

This just got interesting. Kirk has gone into the water from the tee.

• Advertisement

Gone to a play-off between Kirk and Cole. Lots of subplots and repercussions that will affect them going forward. Kirk is stuck behind a tree on the play-off 18th, Cole in the middle of the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

Shane probably was never winning today but his putting is definitely not holding up at the moment,He had many putts between 10 & 15 feet and didnt get one.Stats show 59th in putting.He gave himself lots of chances .Decent week though and hopefully upwards from here.

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He looks a prime candidate for a trip to Dr Bob!

Did a lot of pointing at the ball to turn, but he never looks like he expects to hold them.

He's obviously a streaky putter and when a few start to go in, he gains confidence and goes on a run, doesn't happen often enough for a guy with his quality of all round game

didnt see any of his round today but from PGA site he had a good day,hit water early but managed a good bogey and eagled the next,got some decent par saves from 9 and 16 feet ,Rahm was +4 today ans Shane was -2 so obviously tough going.Definitely in this now.

next to Rory on leaderboard,hopefully they are paired together.We might see Shanes ball on green when they follow every Rory shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not a good day for Shane. Snowman on card. A few penalties on card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Complete meltdown by Shane. A couple of triple bogeys in the front nine and three bogeys in a row towards the end of the second nine. I wonder how long his relationship with his new caddy will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

His relationship with Bo had definitely come to an end, but I don't think changing his caddie so soon again will do anything for him. His inconsistency is appalling and I don't know if it can be fixed,it is a big flaw in his game.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

Another week on tour next week. i guess a week off and then match play. Then 2 weeks to masters. Does he usually play the week before a major? I guess he won’t

he had 3 solid rounds and one really bad one ,don't think his A game is there but he might find it for another big win this year,ts clear he does not have Rory's consistency but when it comes together he can get over the line anywhere,fingers crosed,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He's streaky, no real difference since the split with Bo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

It's barely been a minute tbf but I do agree he's 100% a streaky, momentum-based golfer.

Bay Hill is a tough course and Kitiyama had a pair of triples over the last couple of days.

Yes, Kitiyama won but his mentality was incredible to let those triples wash away. His putting was excellent too. McIlroy nor Spieth didn't have their full A game and both were able to be in the mix. That's why they're multi-major winners. It's where Shane needs to improve and also be more consistent to bring his game to the next level.

I know he's got a great relationship with Paddy. If Paddy wasn't as committed to playing I'd love to have seen him coach/mentor Shane closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

His putting has been atrocious this season. He has to do something about it.

I don't think we can let him off with the difficulty of Bay Hill given he lives relatively close so can play it as often as he likes

Lots of pros live in Florida so they all have plenty of chances. It's still a tough course regardless of playing it a few times. Morikawa was twiddling his thumbs for the weekend and Rahm fairly well imploded after a hot start. It's hardly pitch and putt.

I'm simply highlighting the difference in consistency regarding mentality and putting. He's a top-class golfer and a major winner. To get to that next level and be an elite multi-major winner, it's clear where he needs to improve. As Irish fans, we all believe that he has a bit more unrealised potential. I'm sure no one is more frustrated and conscious of this than the man himself.

If he retires tomorrow we'll still all remember his achievements and he won't be stuck for a few bob.

Funnily enough, someone mentioned a trip to Dr Bob previously in this thread. I got the audiobook for "Putting Out of Your Mind" last week. It lends itself really well to audiobook format and it's very enjoyable. Only a couple of hours long and has a very clear simple message to take away. For another discussion but thanks to whoever mentioned Bob Rotella, I'll probably pick up one of the other books soon.

Shane is all about his putting, that's what creates his high finishes and wins, he will never win with his second game unlike others. He has said the same himself and is content to win few but big, maybe now he's more established he wants to win more and now the putting is being worked on. I just hope he does not do a Faldo and have his game collapse from the green back to the tee. Even Full Swing showed up how much Koepka's brain is destroyed with his putting

Putting is the key to confidence and winning. Morikawa has had 3 different putters, 2 different grips and 2 different stances that I remember over the last year or so. Like Koepka, if the ball isn't rolling the way you want, you're defeated before the first tee. Dr Bob's motto is all mental: relaxed putting -> relaxed short game -> relaxed irons -> relaxed driver. The game is actually reversed and goes from green to tee.

I'd love to see Shane for S2 of Full Swing. He'd be a bit more colourful of a character.

not looking good after opening 9 ,missing short putts,some dodgy shots ,no birdies to offset the blips must be very draining.Maybe the extra playing due to new PGA format is taking its toll,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And snaps a club in half over his knee. He's fond of that.

• Advertisement

A few weeks off will do him good.

Advertisement