Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Most players, certainly the Irish ones, do this. Harrington was a prime example. Even when he had the putting yips!

Lowry major issue is not his caddie. I don't think it's an inconsistency. It's how reacts when things don't go his way.

Shane's game is in good shape overall. This might be just him trying to give himself a reboot up the arse.

Feel sorry for the caddie & they don't get the golden handshake either.

Post edited by CMcsporty on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

A year ago this would have been a big surprise but in the last few weeks it looks like Shane needs to change things up a bit.

He's still been able to put himself in contention, the talent still burns bright, but some of the fade outs have been worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised it took this long, looked finished last season especially after the few rollickins Lowry gave him in public.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m available if Shane is in need of a new caddie. 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Darren Reynolds to caddie for the immediate future. Had a spell before and Lowry said they didn't gel, which makes this news seem a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Strange but opposite attract. Might be a short term to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

It can be a very lucrative gig but I’d say you’d want a very thick hide to caddy for Shane. To say he wears his heart on his sleeve is putting it mildly. A very mercurial golfer.

Not the best of starts

Shane I say would rather not have to turn up on Saturday to finish his round knowing he’ll pretty much miss the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Three more big purses coming up over the next 4 weeks for the Genesis, Arnold Palmer and Players c'ship. The Honda Classic is in between, where last year Shane was unlucky with the weather turning against him at the wrong time (tbf Straka closed it out well).

Let's see if he turns things around and resets as it's a particularly lucrative run. It's only 8 weeks until The Masters so not a huge amount of time for soul searching. Even so, he was playing some excellent golf in the UAE but for a couple of blow-ups. He's not a million miles off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

you can see how the frustration would sunder any relationship as happened with Bo.3RD Round battles all day to hold a sub par round together and misses a 3 footer for par on 18 ,Jesus its a nice lifestyle but fxxk me the frustration must be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

It seemed like he couldn't buy a putt over the weekend & missed a couple of sitters - but the ball striking looked right back up there... Good to see.

When he's going well the short ones all drop. The rest of the time he tends to be a bit tentative and it's his only obvious weakness for me. He has length, all the iron shots, wedges, short game and recovery. On Friday he'd a monster eagle on one, and another chip eagle on the back nine but he missed 3 and 5 footers for par. I didn't see them and they could have been awful breaks/pins but that's kind of where he's at. Some truly excellent stuff and a bit of the mundane.

I think Shane and Seamie will both be pleased with decent finishes on a tough course with a fairly stacked field. After changing his caddy and recent results not going his way, it's a nice bounce back for Shane. Power tipping away nicely in Fedex rankings too.

Nice run-in for the masters, hopefully, things only pick up from here on.

Big week for Shane. Course he came close last year. 3rd highest ranking in field.

watched Shane a good bit today ,thought he stayed patient when nothing was dropping and got 2 late birdies one from over 20 feet so a solid start.thats a really weak field this week,Shane wont mind if he picks up a win but I imagine the sponsors wont be happy.

Post edited by dublin49 on

Honda have pulled out of next year so they need a sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Why wouldn't the sponsors be happy if he picked up a win?

They were referring to the strength of the field. It’s poor going by normal strength of the field. It’s in the middle of the to many big events. This week is a great week for someone to pick up a win or big finish they might not have if normal strength field. Owgr is 32 points for a win. Half what last few and next few weeks will be. Honda don’t stump up millions for a weak field so decided we won’t be doing it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah right. I was thinking that the sponsors would be happy to have a star win it as opposed to a lowly ranked player.

@Trampas - that's interesting, looking at the results in the past it had big-name winners. Paddy twice, Rory, Ernie Els, Fowler (big at the time), Adam Scott and JT.

The fields seem to have weakened since Keith Mitchel won in 2019. Not sure what changed at that time. However, like you said the current scheduling means top players are skipping this week for a break before the big money events up next: Arnold Palmer's Invitational ($20m) and The Players ($25m).

Hopefully, this doesn't mean the end of the event as it's a class course. Imagine on Sunday night, nothing in it between the leaders and they have to navigate the bear trap holes 15,16,17 to close out a win. Ideally though, Lowry will be cruising home by 5 shots at that stage 😀.

• Advertisement

you would think its in everybodys interest to have a sprinkling of marquee players each week, I get that now wud be the worst time to try introduce a system whereby a minimum of say 3 top 20 players play each week but with the bonus payments the top players get the Pga might lever something along those lines in the future,The players will resist but it actually will be in their best interest to keep the sponsors on board.Currently LIv guarantee the players a fortune and have total control and the PGA guarantee the top players less money but with no control over their schedules bar insisting on a minimum of events.I think this will change in the future.

They’ve set the rules that players can’t skip the big events now so they’ve to play 4 weeks in 5 beer guzzlers, genesis, ap and players.

Pga made this mess. I guess they need to learn from it. For another thread.

Let’s hope the rain doesn’t hit Shane on Sunday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Yes and that decision will hit all the other non-mandatory events hard. Rory usually played Honda as it's close to home but now is compelled to take the week off. And players could be forced to play courses that they really hate. I don't think they needed to take away that freedom of choice for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Going well today, and now just sunk a 15 footer for another birdie

Horses for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Keeps rolling them in, 1 back now. Score is absolutely far higher than anyone around him

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Turned over there - could do without the musings of Chesson Hadley

2nd lowest round of the day,getting his fair share of luck this week,60 foot putt yesterday and chip in today,hopefully tomorrow it continues,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

60 foot putt is lucky but he's so good at chipping they are gonna drop sometimes, that's skill not luck.

• Advertisement

I agree hes a wizard around the greens but this particular hole out was travelling until it hit the flag.

Advertisement