Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do smart meters cost you more

Options
  • 09-01-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,594 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Recently got a letter from the ESB that they would be around to upgrade the meter to a smart meter,

But since i have heard a loteof people say it will make the bill go up .

OIs there nay truth to that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, there was a recent article in the Indo saying pretty much that...

My smart meter was installed last year and I looked at the plans, but came to the same conclusion - it would only cost me more as I WFH and don't really have a choice (or inclination) to be monitoring when I should put a wash on etc.

Thankfully you do NOT have to switch plans even after they put the meter in. Eamon Ryan was waffling about that last year too, but did mention there should be an opt-out included. Long story short, the meter is no issue.. just make sure they don't switch you to a different plan unless you're happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Also remember that if you are currently on a day/night tariff that a smart meter cannot support this tariff and you would have to go to a 24 hour tariff or a smart plan at considerably more cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,594 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sound so they can put it in but as long as you don't opt for a new plan everything stays the same ,

Yep. I haven't heard from them since the inital email and because I would get no value out of the "smart features" (and am certainly not paying more than I already do!) I am quite happy to stay as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Any link to this? I thought the smart meter could facilitate a day/ night plan as long as you stayed with your day/ night plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

There is an opt out available. You have to call ESB Networks to request an opt out. You will need to provide them with your MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I have a smart meter but I'm not on a smart plan. Just signed on a regular price per unit regardless of time or day.

Seeing a few articles out on IT and the like about how very few people sign on to smart plans I gave them a gander and quickly realised why. I believe they are more expensive on average, for an average person. Electric Ireland for reference, I pay the 39.59c on the left. Because I generally sleep 11pm to 8am exactly and consume no electricity. Lights are off. Heating is gas.

I'd only consider these plans if I worked odd hours maybe evenings or night so that I could do any chores during that 11pm to 8am window. Laundry, dryer, dish washer, hoover. That could be a neat way to save money. But I don't mind having the meter, it's actually handy because I'm not bugged for readings anymore and switching is a bit cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I have had the smart meter installed and I am disappointed to notice that the kilowatts clock up in whole numbers rather than tenths of a kwh like in the older one.

I am not minded to change from my standard 24h plan to a time of use plan, because the peak time electricity price can be increased on a whim. I get these chatty emails and texts telling me that if I open the fridge and stare into it takes 10 minutes per minute open to cool it back down, and, wait for it, 'this can waste over 100kWh a year, this is equivalent to vacuuming for 3 whole days!'. I think they will have to try harder and be a bit more specific.

The other problem with that example is that your neighbours might not be thrilled if you were running hoovers and washing machines at 3am - especially given the generally very poor sound insulation between houses/apartments in many cases.

Typical bot response. You will be swamped with mundane reasonings such as this. How many complaints of such noise have you or anyone experienced in real life? Not as much as phantom accounts will lead you to believe.

There is a reason only 4% of meters are on a smart plan. They are more expensive and restrictive. Hard evidence suggests so.

Fear not...and think about it

• Advertisement

Smart meter cannot support D/N tariff that replicates current D/N plans that 270k consumers ae currently using,(anybody on D/N meters that are offered smart meters at the moment should refuse them IMO) there have been numerous threads and news articles but have a look this latest thread for more info.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058278418/meter-tariff-compatibility#latest

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

You don’t have to get it installed if you don’t want to. I know that some folks have refused to get the smart meters installed by giving an excuse. For example, you dont want George Soros interferring with your brainwaves. The ESBN dont care. They will leave you alone if you dont want one. However, you could just upgrade and stick to your old electricity plan. But then whats the point I guess.

The smart meter plans give you cheaper units during off-peak use. Unfortunately, most people don't bother changing their electricity use habits, so they end up getting more expensive bills. If you are proactive about when you use your electricity to take advantage of the cheaper times, you can save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morrisja

I have had a smart meter for over a year and have recently signed up to a smart meter pricing plan.

My recommendation would be to get the smart meter (unless you have a real objection to doing so) and then stay on a flat rate tariff for a year.

This will allow you to see how much electricity you use during day/night/peak times and allow you to evaluate whether a flat rate or smart pricing plan is cheaper.

For a lot of average users a flat rate tariff may still be best. We have electric heating (heat pump) and an electric car so our electricity use pattern is quite different and somewhat flexible (e.g. night charging of car).

Calculating the best value takes some work and I suspect most people are not up for the calculations involved (though I'm surprised price comparison/switching websites haven't brought out a tool for this).

Unfortunately you can't easily tell your usage by time until you have a smart meter installed so its a bit chicken and egg, hence the suggestion to get the smart meter but stick to flat tariff until you have a year of data.

The assumption here is of course that suppliers don't alter the ratio of prices in the different time periods or in some way target smart meter plans to extract more value. This may be proven to be a naive assumption, however given overall price flexibility and competition in the electricity supply market I suspect there's no need to gouge smart meter plans more than flat rate plans.

From my calculations in Dec 2022 some of the smart meter plans of a few major suppliers appear to be cheaper than flat rate plans (checked for 2 different households, one of which was more like an average user than my household). It is of course specific to each household and whether you have the capacity to flex your usage at all.

In summary, some smart meter plans may save you a bit on your bill but you have to do some work to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 darthwilson

We got our smart meter installed last year and it's pretty disappointing. The smart meter plans work out more expensive unless you do have the likes of a heat pump and electric car. Even the rep at Energia confirmed this to me.

The more disappointing thing is that you cannot monitor your realtime energy usage which I thought was the main selling point of smart meters. A few friends in the UK have smart meters and they can see in real time how much energy things are using. From what I can tell, you can go to a smart meter plan from electric Ireland and they will do the energy monitoring but I don't think it's in real-time. It's every 30 mins or something which again, is pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you have a heat pump and EV you are likely being rode, price wise, unless you are on a day night meter and a day night tariff, and not a smart or 24hr one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The biggest problem is that unless you’ve a very unusually flexible lifestyle it’s not possible really to shift stuff off anymore than many of us already do with night and day rate.

I do all my dishwashing, washing and drying when the rates cut over to half price.

I have a very good set of appliances and use monitored smoke alarms so I’m not that worried about fire risks. I’m certainly not going to sleep though any issue.

The dryer is also a heat pump model so there’s no real extreme hot air or elements involved, so the risk is low and modern dishwashers use enclosed elements that the water is pumped though. Older ones used to use open elements at the bottom, which could cause a fire if something fell onto them.

I’ve a smoke alarm over the dishwasher and another one in the utility room and also one next to the boiler and fuse box area. They just seemed like logical places to put one.

Also found switching all my lighting to LED over the last few years and things like swapping out the hob for induction and a newer oven has really sliced the bills down a lot.

If I’m working from home there are steady power needs all day. If I’m not working from home there is a schedule when I have to eat and so on. So I can’t really just not cook at peak times.

If you had an electric car maybe it would make sense if it could link up and connect at the cheapest possible tariff over night.

Also I think if you’re using electric water heating, it possibly makes more sense to have a very very insulated tank and shift the heating to the cheapest time. Otherwise you’re showering with an electric shower at full rate or peak rate. So that isn’t something every Irish household can do without replacing the immersion. The old ones are just ludicrously inefficient and lose most of the heat. The continental style ones are like a giant thermos flask. You can heat them off peak and they will retain almost all of that heat. Irish immersions are just a badly insulated copper cylinder, some aren’t even insulated at all. It’s as inefficient as trying to store hot water in a pot on the cooker. It’ll rapidly lose all the heat.

We need a lot more than just smart meters though to actually make use of those complicated tariffs.

😂 You dont work for esb by any chance,the best deals out there at the moment is an old fashioned D/N rate on an old D/N meter but you appear to have overlooked that,270k consumers currently on old D/N systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Change the thread title perhaps?

Smart meters don't cost more in answer to the question on the thread title.

Smart tariffs may cost more but it depends totally on when you use the most of your electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I hope you agree that best estimate that is based on long term observation, more data - more accurate it might be. Good thing is that D/N digital meter does show D usage / N usage and combined total (aka 24h)

How about estimate over 11years? I know, prices were changing over years etc, etc., but main point is kWh usage during day/night and how it fits with smart tariffs. Anyway, here it come....

Based on my digital meter readings today since it was installed( ESB seal dated Oct2011).

Based on kWh* + St charge prices (Inc. VAT) advertised on SSE as of today, 11Jan2023, for Standard plan(rural), no discounts taken in to consideration, PSO = 0 as per SSE

*Assumption that SPeak time usage is same pace as the rest of SDay time, 86.67/13.33 % of Dt kWh based on SDt/SPt duration. This defo wont be correct as we would be at work/school during 08:00-16:00 , but cannot determine kWh % ratio to be reasonably accurate, so be it. My guess is 70/30 at least, even 60/40(el cooker+oven, diner time @18:00), see what happens with these % in addition.

Note: loss is over 11year meter data at current prices on SSE

Note2: this calculation only apply to me, yours could well be different

Wonder if anyone would have their Dt/Nt ratio and share, just to see how bad i am in this regard

Let me know if you see inconsistency/mistakes in my calculation.

So for me:

Conclusion1 - smart tariffs sucks compare to D/N for me and if take * note into account, it is worse than 24h tariff. (match to 24H would be SDt/SPt @ 80/20 ratio)

Conclusion2 - saving 900 over 11year(D/N vs 24h) is not that hugely significant(~€7 p/m at current prices), unless usage would significantly move toward Nt, which is unlikely. Also, St charge reduces benefit of D/N good bit. Same could be said about loss on smart plan. It is what it is, not to say €7 per month is worthless.

Conclusion3 - Smart meters do not effect your bill directly - its purpose to count kWh, only if you are lured/forced into smart plan, smart tariffs do(would for me). All personal "like/dislike" data pumped out from you etc. - If there would not be personal data involved(which apparently is), there would not be GDPR/consent issue, but this is separate story i guess.

What is the point to have smart readings every 30 min or so, if you are charged @ 13, 9, 2 hour intervals? I mean for consumer. Oh i know - i could get that SDt/SPt @ % ratio. Then what? Another promise like "on diet from 1st of Jan" or "quit smoke" that never lasted more than a week.

If you conscious about saving you are already doing it where you can. If you are not - SM does not do that for you, you need to learn tariffs and clock, then change your habits. Or you just don't care and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Maybe they will start measuring kva usage. A nice little stealth increase that might be, compared to non smart meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I have a smart meter and switched to a smart plan this year and its the best thing I did.

4 bed rural house and December bill was €153, November was €137. Effectively Nov/Dec was about €90 after gov credit and we are not in an A rated new build. Rating is D, but heating is oil. (includes hot water)

Washing machine and dishwasher are the biggest users. Both on on the express setting. Both run after 11pm.

Tumble dryer is put on at 6am or put on a timer to run at night.

The analytics shows exact cost per 30min time of use, so we can see what it costs us at night versus daytime. A small amount of effort can literally save you hundreds of euro

I assume the reason for the 30 min cycle is that they'll ultimately start offering plans that are flexible and vary depending on what the source on the grid is.

For example, it would make ecological sense if they could drop the rates when the grid is mostly running on wind and higher them when it's mostly running on gas/coal.

So if you could be notified of the current energy mix, you could adjust your usage accordingly.

At the moment it's just like day/night metering with an extra peak band. That really isn't smart metering, it's just multi-tarrif timed metering.

A fully smart grid would be able to do things like offer very cheap rates when it has abundance of supply, which might vary a bit, and could use that to dump into say stored hot water or EV charging etc with simple automation.

Remind me , when have you seen rates drop... ☺️

Standard digital meter, capable to do 5 tariffs + "negative" that i guess for feeding energy back to the grid. Smart enough for metering purpose, but without radio beacon.

How many tariffs can new one do i wonder?

If it reads every 30 minutes. The system can do 48 tariffs per day and could vary them day to day. It’s basically unlimited.

So there should be no problem (from meter perspective) to stay on any tariff (24, D/N ) with SM. In some other thread i read that there apparently is, potentialy indicating that util companies just flat decline to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

You don’t need an excuse to opt out, when KN networks send you the letter with the install date, just call them and opt out.

A comment/excuse is optional

We have a day/night rate digital meter at the moment. I assume we can just stay on that tarif ?

Little that i know, but update us when you get there...

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You cannot stay on a day night tariff if you are moved to a smart meter. There is currently no crossover between MCC02 and RM106 smart meters. The smart meters only cover MCC01, MCC12 and MCC16

Nope. Keep the digital meter.

There's a new smart meter configuration coming out under RM107 that will cover MCC02, MCC12 and MCC16 (but not MCC01) which you will be able to get a smart meter and keep day night tariff. Not possible yet.

• Advertisement

Thank for update

"Coming out"?, doesn't this sound like "there is your car, wheels coming soon" 😊

Did ESB (or whomever responsible for this "project") overlook this version of events, didn't care or they thought if they apply "smart" to the name it just pass - not a "back yard lab test" after all

Advertisement