Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Have to give a big recommendation to the documentary ‘Sins of our Mother’. Stumbled upon it by accident and reading the summary had everything I like ‘crime, religion, brainwashing, bumbling police, cliff hangers, a hot woman who potentially is evil’. I wasn’t let down. Binged the whole thing in one go. The world is crazy.

Another documentary that blew my mind was https://youtu.be/AbsaUHdxGHg the documentary on hot yoga but it’s crazy guru bikram. About 15 years ago my mate was dating a girl running a hot yoga studio and he was telling me all these bizarre things about when she was being trained by him. Thought it was embellished in order for an entertaining story. Well that’s not my opinion anymore. But this is a must watch. Again the world is nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure if mentioned but Season 4 of Fauda is due to arrive on Jan 20th - looking forward to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

JUNG_E gets a full trailer, following the teaser a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Recommend Woman of the dead, Austrian whodunnit, northern Europe and Scandinavian shows seem to be right up my street so maybe not for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Looking forward to White Noise now. Last film with similar comments on here was The Lost Daughter, which I thought was great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

As someone who didn't know the full story about him, I found MADOFF:The Monster Of Wall Street absolutely fascinating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh so it's good to go in blind then?. Whatever i knew of it i've forgotten but i've it listed up to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

I watched God's crooked lines recently, a great psychological thriller by one of my favorite directors Oriol Paulo (The Invisible guest, Mirage, The body...). I definitely recommend watching it, same goes for his other movies I mentioned and The innocent (mini-series).  

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I finally watched RRR, and its all the thing everyone said it was. But I was confused about the language and subtitles. When it started they were speaking English so I didn't think anything of it. But then the locals started speaking it to each other, and I realised it was on the English dub. I could only find Hindi on the options for audio, but at times it still looked like it was dubbed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

yea - the Hindi version is also a dubbed version (the original language that the actors are talking in is a language called Telegu, form the south of India)

I thought that but Netflix only seem to have the Hindi version, which is odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah for whatever reason Netflix only have the Hindi rights to the film - I remember that being specified when they released it. It’s standard practice in India for there to be multiple language versions of the same film (sometimes to the extent of filming every scene in two languages) but it is strange they don’t have the original language version in this case. Hindi version is what I saw in the cinema too, although think the Telegu version was also available for at least some screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They never acquired the rights to the original Telugu version. Not sure whether that was Netflix trying to be cheap and assuming the majority of their subscribers would want the dubbed version or whether it never was on offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must summon the energy to watch RRR these days, but 3 hours of maximalist madness doesn't always seem enticing enough to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just finished Kaleidoscope,, enjoyable enough, a few too many flash back/forward scenes,but overall a good story,well packaged 8/10

I had to watch it in two sittings. I can see the appeal of watching it in a cinema, or with a group of people. It is ridiculous fun. Watching it alone on a Monday afternoon, it was a bit of a slog at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I thought it was very poor. Its a fascinating story, I even read a book about him a few years back(No one would listen) but I found this documentary was incredibly boring and shallow considering the length. I'd say you could easily just watch the first and last episodes and not be missing much. The recreations were awful too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

@Gremlinertia Maybe it's best going in blind. I enjoyed it as I found the story to be fascinating whereas @youcancallmeal knew the story and read a book about it, but didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker (2023) This shocking documentary chronicles a happy-go-lucky nomad's ascent to viral stardom and the steep downward spiral that resulted in his imprisonment.

Andrew Santino: Cheeseburger (2023) No topic is safe in this unfiltered stand-up set from Andrew Santino as he skewers everything from global warming to sex injuries to politics.

The Equalizer 2 (2018) Ex-CIA agent-turned-vigilante Robert McCall uses his deadly skills once again to avenge the death of a close friend and former colleague.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Recently watched it myself. I enjoyed it and thought the concept was very good. I'd love to know how other people got to view it.

My last 3 episodes where, The Day After the Hoist, 6 Months After the Hoist, and then the Day of the Hoist. In my opinon it worked out perfect that way. After wathching the Day after the Hoist it was very clear how it was going to end.

The 2016 Madoff mini series with Richard Dreyfuss is excellent viewing and very hard to beat I imagine by any doc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭cozar

The Glory is really good. a Korean tale of revenege by a woman who was severely bullied in school. Part 1 has 8 episodes and part 2 will be out in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Thread for it here:

For those not finished it yet, although the thread title includes spoiler warnings because the format was supposed to encourage open discussion leading up to the finale, it didn't quite work out that way. So there are spoiler tags at all times so far in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

Finally got round to The Witcher.

Needed to watch three episodes before I realised what a soullless mess it is and gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Noise (2022) (Spanish) A search for her missing daughter leads a mother to a support network, where she bonds with other women whose lives have been destroyed by violence.

Sexify season 2 (2021) (Polish) To build an innovative sex app and win a tech competition, a sexually inexperienced student and her friends must explore the daunting world of intimacy..

Paranormal Activity (2007) When repeated hauntings frighten a young couple in their new house, they set up a camera to capture proof of being haunted by an evil presence.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭jj880

Not sure if right thread but this is a good game free with Netflix sub:

Android:

IOS:

Supports bluetooth controllers

Cowabunga!

EDIT: Tried using a dual shock controller over bluetooth with a good spec android box. The lag on the controls is terrible. If anyone gets a good controller connection to android please post details here.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

😀 award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

The Pale Blue eye

Watched this last night and It was a lot better than I thought it'd be. The acting from Christian Bale and harry melling really elevates this to another level. Theres a scene near the end between the two of them that kind of goes beyond acting. All in all a good shout.

Advertisement