Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I write to the department of justice about this situation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

That's what the officer told me also.

She just said next time this happens, there and then, no hesitation, go directly to the police office and file a complaint, ensure they act on it in that moment, that same day.

So we'll see, but like I said, it's like he's a lifetime professional scumbag, just like the chief of security in the nightclub explained to me, as above.

He hasn't gotten away with this type of behaviour his entire life, for no reason.

It's a very well cultivated and thought-out persona, so he typically knows just how much to push a confrontation so as not to implicate himself.

In any case, question seems to have been answered:

writing to the department of justice at this current time would be a fruitless endeavor, in fact a hand I may want to distinctly hold-off playing for the time being, lest it's required at a later date if things don't go smoothly locally, should a possible conviction come into effect?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

With....... the department of justice?

If this alludes to some underworld vigilantly type justice, that's not an area I really have any kind of familiarity with unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I don't think they can just search him on a whim every time they seen him , he has served his sentences. You have provided them with zero evidence. It's a shite situation for sure but writing to the department of justice would be an extreme waste of your time.

Actually I have a significant reach advantage on him (cause he's short AF - that inferiority complex type always have beef with me), so I was thinking I could just.... you know..... touch him with teh jab?

Before he gets in stab range.

Or if it happens in an enclosed space, shop or commercial location etc, I could just:

But again, I'd have to wait until he produces the knife or stabbing object, so as not to be seen as the aggressor myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It is a shít situation and basically bullying. Life isn't fair unfortunately and you are between a rock and a hard place.

As for writing to the a letter the the Dept of Justice. lol. You might as well write a letter to Mickey Mouse. Nothing will come of it, they will just give you some canned reply fobbing you off to the Gardai or something.

Also, dating a traveller was not a wise move. It is living very dangerously and is asking for trouble. Of course the two here may be totally unconnected, but you simply don't know who a traveller would be connected to and the liklihood is they would have a lot more dodgy connections than the average person.

• Advertisement

And the Gardai are right. They can't just arrest someone for acting weird or for making veiled sly threats that you are reporting to Gardai. They pretty much have to catch someone in the act of a significant crime to arrest them, or you'd have to have a load of witnesses or have it on CCTV.

Say, even if he did stab you or punch you. He already has many many convictions. What's one more sure? It's not going to make a difference to him. He backchats a judge sure. Even if he stabs you, he might not even go to jail, or maybe only spend 2 or 3 months inside, tops.

All this talk about physical combat, stab range, disarmament etc is all just dangerous machismo bullshít. A bit like Margaret Thatcher and the IRA. You (MT) has to be lucky all the time while dirtbox with the knife (IRA) only has to lucky once to get you.

Having the moral high ground and years of MMA training is not much good if you in a dirty fight where you end up knifed and dead or with life changing disabilities.

My advice - you need to pick you battles here son. Unfortunately, this one is unwinnable. Unfair yes, but unfortunately life is unfair and the law is an ass.

You have to follow the rules because youre lifestyle depends on it. His life is already fúcked, so he has no need to follow the rules. Already having 100 convictions, sure getting another 100 won't make a difference. Whereas one conviction to you would spell disaster.

And again, I'll reiterate a letter to the dept of justice is an absolutely farcical waste of time. Don't bother. It will go precisely nowhere.

So you need to be wise, pick you battles, and forget about trying to get into a battle of wits with this guy or the Gardai because it is simply unwinnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The Department deal with policy not enforcement. I have no idea how you could think a letter would achieve anything? Write to the Garda superintendent for your area if you want to send a letter to anyone but without evidence it's a waste of a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay, here's my take having read the initial post and some of the responses

First off, writing to the department of justice is absolutely no use at all, they'll just refer you back to the Gardai

Second, the guard's are correct in saying they can't do anything, while the guy is clearly being a pr!ck, he hasn't actually done anything illegal, at least that can be definitively proven and result in a conviction

They can't really arrest someone because they think he might commit a crime except in extreme circumstances. If someone is standing outside a bank wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun, then the guards have reasonable grounds to arrest him

Calling someone names, and shoving into you aren't exactly going to be indicators that the guy was trying to cause you harm. He could after all just not have been looking where he was going, or at least that's what he will claim

I think you're also giving the guy a bit too much credit regarding his intelligence. I suspect you're correct that he's trying to goad you into some confrontation but I don't think he's specifically trying to get you a conviction. I'm pretty sure if any confrontation arose, given your background and his history of assaults and carrying a concealed weapon, it's hard to see any judge taking his side unless you basically kerb stomped him to death

More likely, he's identified you as someone he can target, and he thinks that by baiting someone known for being a bit of a tough guy that it'll make him look tougher by comparison

Given your knowledge of martial arts, I presume you're familiar with more non lethal ways to taking someone down and inflicting pain rather than injury. I know a street fight doesn't exactly have a referee and things can go sideways pretty quickly, but it's quite possible that if he ever attacked you, then your training would kick in and you'd be able to stop him without the aforementioned kerb stomp (tempting as it may be)

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to be a bit of a monk on this one, and insofar as possible just keep doing what you're doing. Avoid the guy as much as possible, don't rise to his baiting and don't escalate a situation. Report anything threatening to the guards so that if there is a physical confrontation, there's a massive paper trail of misconduct on his part to stand in your favour

Hopefully after seeing that he's not getting to you in any significant way he'll lose interest. Unfortunately he'll probably just move onto his next victim then, these types of guys don't learn or change

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Great analysis.

Correct on all counts........ except probably the very last line:

Hopefully after seeing that he's not getting to you in any significant way he'll lose interest. Unfortunately he'll probably just move onto his next victim then, these types of guys don't learn or change

Probability is he'll never lose interest.

And this situation will come to a head, hopefully, by continuing as you said, my establishing a paper trail, continuing to report infractions, and at some point he'll cross the line sufficiently to incriminate him.

With me, he's like a moth to a flame. Proven time again he just can't help himself.

Full disclosure, I have this type of effect on many of the "billy bad ass" types, but far more dangerous types have recognized where their actions could lead (their incrimination) and backed off, this creeper I believe has actually so little in his life to lose, that the possibility of implicating me, is worth the risk.

But yes point taken.

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to be a bit of a monk on this one, and insofar as possible just keep doing what you're doing. Avoid the guy as much as possible, don't rise to his baiting and don't escalate a situation. Report anything threatening to the guards so that if there is a physical confrontation, there's a massive paper trail of misconduct on his part to stand in your favour

This is what I've been doing and will have to continue to do, by all appearances.

I thought acting more pre-emptively could possibly take this hassle out of my life, but based on a comprehensive analysis:

1) coppers can't do anything until he "crosses a line"

2) department of justice are unlikely to modify national police strategy on my behalf

So it's simply a question of prudence and awareness.

Thankfully this strategy is kind of inbuilt into my day to day conduct by default, which I guess makes things somewhat easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is no point in writing to the justice department. They will just pass your letter to the Garda.

You could write to the Superintendent of the district in which you live. It may get some action but it may also put the guards against you.

The guards can do very little. They have nothing to threaten him with and will only want to bring serious charges against him if at all.

They don't want to spend months trying to prosecute him foe a public order offence.

He might well be a source of information to the guards and they don't want to lose that.

• Advertisement

You could write to the Superintendent of the district in which you live. It may get some action but it may also put the guards against you.

How's that?

Well, may raise their concern I might respond excessively - as the above poster put it, "kerb stomp" the guy (unlikely, unless he did something truly terrible but in that case I'd be more likely to defer to law enforcement immediately).

The officer I spoke to initially also dedicated significant time and effort to the report, doing a full background check etc.

She was very well informed in relation to the situation.

Locally, going over her head (not the most pleasant woman ever, but certainly "tuned in"), isn't something I feel could confer significant additional benefit - unless the situation really spiralled out of control.

So you obviously feel if I wrote to the superintendent, they may consider my request a waste of resources or the expectation of exceptional treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Based on your hobbies, I'm going to guess your general physique is.... enviable

If you ever read Of Mice and Men you may recall the character Curley, a small aggressive guy who likes to pick fights with bigger men to show how tough he is

I kinda suspect you've got a Curley on your hands here. And unfortunately he isn't the only one, you'll probably have to deal with this again in future

As you say, not escalating a situation is the far better approach, there's no sense in getting in trouble over a sewer rat

One things which might help your cause is if he's trying to start something could be to pull your phone out and start videoing him. Or get a mate to do it if you're not alone

If the situation does escalate then you have evidence of you trying to defuse things, and being on camera might defuse the situation by itself

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

Offer him a sparring session down at the gym, then go all Charlie Zelenoff on him.

One things which might help your cause is if he's trying to start something could be to pull your phone out and start videoing him. Or get a mate to do it if you're not alone

If the situation does escalate then you have evidence of you trying to defuse things, and being on camera might defuse the situation by itself

Great suggestion.

Hard to believe this didn't occur to me already.

Definitely need to bear this in mind in future.

And yes, not to sound conceited but I believe it's his inferiority complex that gets triggered, is the reason for this behaviour.

And again correct, it happens with that type of person frequently.

@Sugar_Rush , are you non-Irish I wonder? We don't have "police" nor "officers", and you seem rather clueless about how the Gardai operate and what they will and won't do.

And whoever said it above, they were right to tell you you need to be very careful about writing letters to the Guards and going over people's heads.

If you go writing letters to Supers over the heads of the Sergeants when there realistically isn't anything they can do about it, you are only going to piss them off and turn them against you and you'll not be entertained any more.

by the sound of it, the Gardai have given you reasonable advice and have been truthful as to what they can and cannot do. What is certain is they are not going to waste scarce resources trying to piece togther a vague case for harrassement which, nomatter how bad it is, is not going to carry a custodial sentence.

With a fella like this, the only real interest the Gardai will have is if they do something serious like a very serious assault with life threatening injuries. Even a few punches being thrown by him, they are not likely to bring a case unless it is a very serious assault.

Gardai are probably as frustrated too because there are scumbags like this up and down every town in the country and any time they are prosecuted for an offence, even a serious one, they get suspended or very short sentences by soft touch judges and they are back out again. And it is not even the judges are soft as such - the root of the problem is there is not enough prison space to accomodate people who ought to be in prison. All prisons are packed and overcroweded as it is, so only the very most serious and dangerous criminals are locked up, and the lesser ones get short stints or suspended sentences.

I'm Irish originally yes. But I grew up elsewhere. I don't think like someone who was raised in Ireland, because for intents and purposes I wasn't.

But re you contention, is there not a system of house arrest under Irish law?

Cause I've considered this situation and it seems to be to be the ideal solution.

I have wide ranging views on how law enforcement should be implemented, not only me of course. The entire country seems to be crying out for reform from the rampant delinquent subculture.

This is something I would have considered by way of a letter to the justice department, voicing this concern.

But perhaps this wouldn't really be an effective approach, or if I were to write such a letter, it should focus on the broader issue and make no mention of this specific occurrence (which again would probably only get tossed aside, unless I had a position of status..... like Conor McGregor or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are your own worst enemy. Your own views about law enforcement are irrelevant to a situation you are involved in personally. Your use of language may also piss of any garda you deal with. A mode of conveyance is a metaphysical object and cant be damaged. Use of convoluted phrases when one word would suffice is poor communication, particularly when the convoluted phrase doesn't even mean what you appear to think it does, You should learn and use basic English.

There is no such thing as a house arrest in ireland. But what you do have sometimes would be a condition attached to bail that someone not leave their house except for certain purposes until they are brought back to court for trial. Or a condition on release that someone be curfewed at night or not visit a certain place. But that is only short term, and is pretty unenforceable.

Firstly for that to happen, he woudl need to be charged with a serious offence. The offence would want to be serious enough that he could not get normal bail, and in any case he'd be likely given only a short or no sentence when it goes back to court. And until it escalates into a serious assualt where you have witnesses or the guards catch him red handed, you are not going to be getting a case anywhere near a court. So for now, forget it.

I see. Yes you certainly don't seem clued in to how things work here. In fact you seem to be living in a sort of cloud cuckoo land if you ask me. I don't know where you were raised but it certainly seems to have imbued you with some sort of notions that you can click your fingers and have the Gardai and DoJ at your fingertips.

Several people here have told you that writing letters to the DoJ is a waste of time. They are right. But you seem fixated on the idea. So why don't you go ahead so, write to the Minister of Justice with your grand wide ranging ideas for justice reform. See where it gets you. I'm sure you'll have a personal meeting with the Minister before this day week.

Post edited by Girl Geraldine on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Until such time as an actual crime is comitted your options would seem to be limited to personal protection along the lines of

https://www.uk.safeguardclothing.com/products/coolmax-ballistic-level-2-stab-level-1-covert-vest-white

and maybe the wearing of a discrete body cam/recording device

Neither are cheap but then neither is time recuperating from an attack

Maybe he just fancies you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Just want to say, I thought the OP was great in Under Siege, but the sequel was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

zzzzz

Post edited by shalom on

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭delboythedub

If it were me I would send a copy of your post to your local Garda Superintendant BY REGISTERED LETTER from your local post office and ask him for his advice on this matter. Keep this letter receipt so you can see if needed who signed for the letter in the garda station for your solicitor should the occasion arise.End

Do you think someone in and out of prison since they are a teenager and with 50, 60, 70 convictions is gong to take a blind bit of notice about a court order?

Your own views about law enforcement are irrelevant to a situation you are involved in personally

If this type of subculture wasn't allowed to run rampant, this wouldn't be an issue for me.

And a lot of hardship and difficulty could be omitted from the lives of many many decent and civilized folk.

Enforcement protocols are being scrutinized and examined by both media, government and the police commissioner currently.

So yes, it's very relevant to me personally.

In fact I take it personally that this is allowed to happen and not being challenged by law enforcement, when the rest of us are held to such an impeccable standard.

Scrotes get away with murder but the common civilized man or woman can have their life destroyed with the slightest infraction.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

I'm sure you'll have a personal meeting with the Minister before this day week.

I was actually making the point that if Conor McGregor got on twitter or wrote a public statement condemning enforcement protocol, then the quote would probably come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,566 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You say you are involved in combat sports & that you're successful at it.

That means a high degree of training, discipline and time out of your week even in the lower devisions for a long time. Things that affect every aspect of your life from diet to social yet this is the first time you've talked about it on boards.ie even though you talk about plenty of other aspects of your life.

Why is that?

does he know your girlfriend or any of her family etc and would he have a hang up about a settled person going out with a traveller.?

I'm not too familiar with his ethnic persuasions I'm afraid.

Which?

Talk about what?

If you're referring to combat sports then it's cause there's any number of keyboard warriors out there I firmly wish to dodge.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement