Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I write to the department of justice about this situation?

• 11-01-2023 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

You'll have to follow along with this anecdote to have oversight on what "this situation" means.

Edit: warning - this is lengthy!!

Few years ago whilst in a gym that showed little discretion about whom they gave membership to, a young man about my own age introduced himself to me. Kind of forcefully and out of the blue but, you know how it is, it's a gym and people sometimes strike up conversations so, we had an introduction and I thought nothing more of it.

Later I would come to find out he was a multiple time convicted offender. Nothing excessively serious, not like an arms importer or money-counterfeiter or something.

Crimes mostly related to alcohol use, drunken disorderly, petty crime, pretty theft, some violent assaults (one being he hit a foreign national over the back of the head with a rock, it was reported in a local paper) and anti-social conduct. He also has a relative he keeps close company with who has multiple criminal convictions and is known for - get this - stealing old ladies handbags.

He racked up enough checks on his record that he served I think two different terms in jail.

He seemed however to develop some kind of interest in myself that started actually previous to that initial introduction, for reasons I'm not quite sure but speculate on. He's what you call a local "billy bad ass", not employed, lives with family that is also unemployed in council allocated housing, chip on his shoulder and kind of fabricates this "bad boy" persona.

I don't want to go into too much detail to conserve anonymity but, basically at the time I was having success in combat sports, boxing mostly, and had acquired some recognition, strictly locally. That type of thing may catch the attention of the "billy bad ass" brigade, territorialism and what not. And the other factor was I was briefly dating a local traveller girl. I was in full time academics at that time, very clean living person - so for someone like myself to be dating a traveller, for better or worse that also seemed to raise some eyebrows amongst the local "tough guy" brigade.

So this individuals interest in me seemed to persist and it wasn't long before it turned ugly, some kind of resentment seemed to become apparent, and he would persistently regard me disrespectfully and that in turn descended into insults.

He unfortunately learned where I lived (just by proximity, he'd see me enter/exit the residence), and one morning I noticed the tire on my mode of transport was cut open using a blade.

Low and behold, who was in the vicinity after a night of alcohol consumption, that very same person (I don't have video evidence but he saw me park in that spot multiple times, knew the vehicle was mine, and he was two streets over, drunk, 20 minutes after I noticed the tire was slashed).

His series of convictions continued since, and one conviction was for carrying a concealed weapon, a knife; go figure.

I reported the tire slashing to the local garda station but without video evidence, nothing doing. There was camera trained on the parking spot, but later I would learn about 50% of the apartment complex cameras don't work.

So this goes on and on and honestly it's getting to the point it's clear what he's trying to do is bait me into a confrontation in the street.

I think because he knows, he has so many convictions, a confrontation will be nothing for him, but for me it could mean a criminal record (which he already has) - which can completely turn your future upside down.

Based on this, I compiled a comprehensive 5 page written report of the entire history and was given a consultation with a local garda, at which we discussed everything for about one hour, and came to the conclusion that they had nothing to act on then, but if something arose in future I should report it.

Few weeks ago I was again confronted by this person. I go into hypervigilance mode when this happens cause I know what is potentially at stake. He said something disrespectful and when I did not acknowledge or respond, he ducked around a corner and seemed to be waiting to jump me, or confront or accost me or something. I only happened to notice this as the edge of his sleeve was barely visible from around the corner, but he was basically hiding, as a means to physically engage me I had to assume.

Noticing this and understanding what was at stake, I change direction and find a different path to get where I was going (the shops).

Low and behold, 10 minutes later who do I bump into only the same dirt box, he sees me in a shop, beelines for me and knocks into me with his shoulder. I step away to avoid but he still clips me, obvious confrontation.

So following this, I bell up the same police officer to explain what I felt was this malignant possibly hiding to pull and knife on me (so I would assume, he was convicted for knife carrying previously, and hid around a corner to lynch me, 2 + 2.... etc), and then barrelling into me in a public shop (I knew he would have been too clever to pull out a knife there of course, witnesses/cameras = immediate conviction, but in a secluded side street, probability was much higher).

Officer tells me, without any actual wrong doing having taken place, their hands are tied, no apprehension can be made or action taken.

I'm at a loss. What am I, supposed to wait until I get stabbed or have to physically defend myself before police can act on the matter?

I'm not here for "personal advice". I'm trying to understand as a matter of law, what are my options?

He's a clever little crawler, as I see it. He knows not to cross a certain line (at least so far), he knows his rights, the police officer said they are "monitoring him" due to the number of convictions he has and I asked, "do you pat him down for a blade whilst monitoring him?", to which there was no answer.

Any thoughts?

Is the officer in question here being negligent? Does it justify a letter to the justice department? And would such correspondence even be acknowledge?

Or is this just a by product of living in a certain type of area with a certain type of person, and just have to put-up-and-shut-up?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Comments

• so if I’m understanding.. you want the Gardai to arrest him for no reason other than your suspicious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

it is not a legal discussion until something illegal has happened and it is going to court.

Currently it is your possibly paranoid delusion that a local scrote is harassing you, possibly because you began ignoring him?

Be careful with the likes of him, he is enjoying it far more than you.

It seems.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

That pretty much seems to be their point of view as well.

Harassment, maybe?

I don't know man, when someone exhibits an evident level of obsession with you, has a history of criminal conviction, carries a weapon, hides around a corner waiting to accost you..... I'm just saying, self-preservation mode kicks up a notch.

Arrest?

I don't know, I don't think so. I personally think his historical sentencing was far to lenient.

And from what I read in the paper, he actually made a wise crack at the judge upon release given the leniency he had been shown.

It's well known this guys deviance. By example I spoke with the chief of security at a local nightclub about this situation (friend/acquaintance), so the type of person whose job it is to know which dirtbox is which, and he basically said "this guy, scumbag like you wouldn't believe. You just got to watch out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Didn't read all your post.

Change gyms.

So basically this echoes the sentiments of local law enforcement.

Until I get in a brawl with the scrote or he actually pulls and knife on me and it becomes a life/death situation, nothing doing?

Despite the evident warning signs?

I mean, I don't expect some kind of "minority report" type situation to come into effect but........ pffff, either way I'm not getting much love here it seems.

And I kind of alluded to that when I spoke with the officer, basically saying "I get it, we're adults, these things happen and until there's something more concrete to act on, is what it is".

But I wanted to let her know that when that day comes, I anticipated it well in advance and hopefully, they'll understand the situation and take that into account.

• Advertisement

Already did.

Well actually that other place was closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

its bullying, the only way to get rid of a bully is stand up to them unfortunately, it sounds like you are running scared and this encourages bullies, Im not sure what you can do other than shove him away from you if he approaches you again

Dundalk, Co. Louth

The moment I put a finger on him, he will RUN to the police station to file a report against me.

That's the point I'm making.

He's obsessed, basically seems to want to do just about anything to tear me down.

That's why I tried to explain this so thoroughly to the police already, he's basically setting me up for this.

Like scumbags do.

Just for clarity, I have gotten in his face a couple times. The "bad boy" persona basically evaporates, but then couple weeks latter he'll be right back on it.

It all seems like a game of identity and feeling of supremacy?

"the moment I put a finger on him" sounds like you haven't done this yet though have you?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Of course not.

Like I said, the moment that happens is the moment I'm compromised.

Unless it's unmistakably justified, and he's too clever to leave himself open to such an action being unmistakeably justified.

Have you not seen the police fliers?

"Think before you act, one punch can change your life forever";

In reference to, "do not get involved in any physical altercation, ever, unless it's unmistakeably justified, or watch your life potentially get flushed down the latrine".

• Advertisement

who said punch? If he gets in your face a shove is all you can do, shove him away from you, your personal space being invaded is a kind of assault, you are allowed to react, yes you may need to explain yourself to the Gardai but thats the way self defence goes, you dont get a free pass to gratuitous violence but you can defend yourself

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

He has convictions.... so the gardai wouldn't be too accommodating to his grievances if he were to report you for putting a finger on him

Honestly I haven't been in many street altercations (though have had many contests in rings and cages).

I'm honestly not the "street fighting" type.

But the feeling I get is that shove could escalate fairly quickly, so if that road is taken it tends to be "all or nothing".

Confining it to a "shove" and thinking that will solve all my problems seems like wishful thinking to me.

But perhaps I stand to be corrected? Have you been in many street altercations? Can you attest to the efficacy of the "shove" at neutralizing assailants?

Again, this may sound good in theory but, during my conversation with the officer, she seemed to go out of her way to make just about every excuse for the scrote.

"Oh he's being treated for substance use disorder".

"Oh he's qualified in this and that..... he's just never worked a day in his life".

"Oh he's basically under our surveillance and protection so if you attempt to interfere in his rehabilitation we'll come down on you like bricks".

I have no faith that law enforcement wouldn't slam me if given half a chance.

I honestly got the feeling from the officer she thought I was the "uppity" type, and seemed to enjoy that I was taking shit from some scrote.

That's terrible I have to outline that but it was kind of obvious.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

whats the alternative? he keeps harassing you and getting in your face and then more? the slashing of the tyres is a scumbag move so I can imagine you feel very threatened, you sound so worked up you are getting paranoid, I know the feeling, how long has this been brewing, sounds like you should get some counselling

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

No doubt you'll have to paddle your own canoe here...it's frustrating for sure.

Well, most recently the officer, with her back completely against the wall said, "if he does something we can legitimately prosecute him for, we'll act on it".

So basically it's a game.

He's trying to trigger me into making a move on him = he reports me and I'm compromised.

I don't go out of my way to trigger the guy but he obviously thinks I'm the uppity type (like the police officer does) and I deserve to get fucked with, so if I can get him to over commit to that, I can report him = he's compromised.

Feels like a couple of school girls trying to get each other in trouble, lol.

Is this what it all comes down to?

No wonder the scrotes run this country, and no wonder O'Connell St, the main street of our capital city is scrote-heaven; it's a microcosm of the incompetence the Irish judicial and law enforcement process.

Seems to be situation.

Thus why I was asking, escalating this to the department of justice could offer better satisfaction?

But it's looking like that may well be an increasingly laughable situation.

UNLESS the scrote puts a knife into my back one of these days.

Then I can totally say, "I told you so!!".... from my hospital bed, whilst I'm receiving a blood-transfusing or on life-support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're in a difficult situation and you have my sympathies. But what would you like the Guards to do? Is there any action you think they can take that would be effective to alleviate the situation?

what would you like the Guards to do? 

Pretty much exactly the same question the officer asked me most recently.

And my answer was, "every time you see him, I want you to pat him down for a knife/blade/weapon".

There's no way he'd confront me with his fists alone, cause he knows my background and knows there's no way that would pan out favourably for him.

So he ducks around a corner waiting to jump me, instinctively my conclusion is, "he's got a blade, otherwise he'd never have the confidence to do that".

I just don't want to get stabbed.

I don't want to have the opportunity to say "I was right all along", whilst having to place compression on the puncture wound in my gut.

So my issue is, I really don't think local police are taking him seriously, I definitely think they underestimate how deviant and underhanded this scrote is, and they regard him as nothing more than a peripheral "nuisance" (their words).

In my opinion, Irish law enforcement are far too lenient with scrote anti-social behaviour, and I had thought writing to the department of justice may improve this local/immediate situation in my case by compelling local officers to curb his anti-social attitude/behavior/actions more so; and perhaps raise questions in their department as to actual methods of law enforcement.

i.e. more pressure exerted and placed on blatant anti-socialites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭mikethecop

What is it you would like the Department of Justice or Gardai to do for you here Suger ?

Act on something that hasn't happened yet ?

tell him to be nicer to you ?

follow him around until he does something and he gets another small fine or suspended sentence?

lifes unfair kid and not for everyone

What is it you would like the Department of Justice or Gardai to do for you here Suger ?

Act on something that hasn't happened yet ?

tell him to be nicer to you ?

follow him around until he does something and he gets another small fine or suspended sentence?

lifes unfair kid and not for everyone

All of the above.

And I'll hide under my bed until my demands are met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The guards can't pat somebody down for a knife/blade/weapon on a whim, and they certainly can't systematically do so every time they see him.

Unless they have a search warrant, they can't search you (without your consent) without a specific statutory power to do so. Where there are various pieces of legislation that confer garda search powers, they only apply in specified circumstances - e.g. if the guard has reasonable grounds for suspecting that a place is being used for selling drugs he may enter the place and (among other things) search any person present.

In particular the guards have no general power to search someone because they suspect he might commit an offence, or even because they suspect he might be carrying an offensive weapon. Any legislation drawn on such wide terms would likely be struck down as unconstitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The time he shouldered you in the shop is an assault, call into the station and make a complaint with a view to going to court, if the Garda fobs you off ask for the sergeant. If you are not prepared to do this then it will continue and dont blame the gardai. It's likely there's CCTV of what happened so do it before it's erased. The judge can bind him to the peace and if he comes at you again the next case will be alot more serious for him given previous court appearance and may be a harassment charge if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tom_Tripland

It's like some of the movie scenes. It must be frightening and frustrating on your part.

You need to make a few private enquiries to get this sorted!

Interesting, isn’t carrying a knife a criminal offence?

A few years ago the local sports club organised for Philly McMahon and a Garda Sargent to give a talk to teenagers about drugs. The Garda said it was a misconception to think a Garda cannot search you on the street, if they think a crime has been commited or if they you are carrying drugs or a weapon, they have a right to stop and search.

He might have been saying it to scare/warn the audience though.

Really?

Even if that person was a repeat offender, convicted previously for carrying a concealed weapon, is a locally known delinquent who regularly breaks the law, previous convictions for violent assault and has been recently reported for threatening behaviour?

If he comes at you just karate chop the knife out of his hand.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

But what concerns me more than anything is some little scum bag outsmarting me and managing to implicate me with the law.

Which is exactly what he's trying to do.

But he's obsessed.

I honestly think - just my opinion - that it was dating the beautiful blonde traveller girl that really sent him over the edge.

It's like it de-validated his entire "bad boy" alter ego (which is a total bluff cause, as previous, I've confronted him a few times a he basically turns into a stuttering stumble bum).

After that he's been on a mission to cut me down like the axe wants the turkey.

That's what the officer told me also.

She just said next time this happens, there and then, no hesitation, go directly to the police office and file a complaint, ensure they act on it in that moment, that same day.

So we'll see, but like I said, it's like he's a lifetime professional scumbag, just like the chief of security in the nightclub explained to me, as above.

He hasn't gotten away with this type of behaviour his entire life, for no reason.

It's a very well cultivated and thought-out persona, so he typically knows just how much to push a confrontation so as not to implicate himself.

In any case, question seems to have been answered:

writing to the department of justice at this current time would be a fruitless endeavor, in fact a hand I may want to distinctly hold-off playing for the time being, lest it's required at a later date if things don't go smoothly locally, should a possible conviction come into effect?

With....... the department of justice?

If this alludes to some underworld vigilantly type justice, that's not an area I really have any kind of familiarity with unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I don't think they can just search him on a whim every time they seen him , he has served his sentences. You have provided them with zero evidence. It's a shite situation for sure but writing to the department of justice would be an extreme waste of your time.

Actually I have a significant reach advantage on him (cause he's short AF - that inferiority complex type always have beef with me), so I was thinking I could just.... you know..... touch him with teh jab?

Before he gets in stab range.

Or if it happens in an enclosed space, shop or commercial location etc, I could just:

But again, I'd have to wait until he produces the knife or stabbing object, so as not to be seen as the aggressor myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It is a shít situation and basically bullying. Life isn't fair unfortunately and you are between a rock and a hard place.

As for writing to the a letter the the Dept of Justice. lol. You might as well write a letter to Mickey Mouse. Nothing will come of it, they will just give you some canned reply fobbing you off to the Gardai or something.

Also, dating a traveller was not a wise move. It is living very dangerously and is asking for trouble. Of course the two here may be totally unconnected, but you simply don't know who a traveller would be connected to and the liklihood is they would have a lot more dodgy connections than the average person.

• Advertisement

And the Gardai are right. They can't just arrest someone for acting weird or for making veiled sly threats that you are reporting to Gardai. They pretty much have to catch someone in the act of a significant crime to arrest them, or you'd have to have a load of witnesses or have it on CCTV.

Say, even if he did stab you or punch you. He already has many many convictions. What's one more sure? It's not going to make a difference to him. He backchats a judge sure. Even if he stabs you, he might not even go to jail, or maybe only spend 2 or 3 months inside, tops.

All this talk about physical combat, stab range, disarmament etc is all just dangerous machismo bullshít. A bit like Margaret Thatcher and the IRA. You (MT) has to be lucky all the time while dirtbox with the knife (IRA) only has to lucky once to get you.

Having the moral high ground and years of MMA training is not much good if you in a dirty fight where you end up knifed and dead or with life changing disabilities.

My advice - you need to pick you battles here son. Unfortunately, this one is unwinnable. Unfair yes, but unfortunately life is unfair and the law is an ass.

You have to follow the rules because youre lifestyle depends on it. His life is already fúcked, so he has no need to follow the rules. Already having 100 convictions, sure getting another 100 won't make a difference. Whereas one conviction to you would spell disaster.

And again, I'll reiterate a letter to the dept of justice is an absolutely farcical waste of time. Don't bother. It will go precisely nowhere.

So you need to be wise, pick you battles, and forget about trying to get into a battle of wits with this guy or the Gardai because it is simply unwinnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The Department deal with policy not enforcement. I have no idea how you could think a letter would achieve anything? Write to the Garda superintendent for your area if you want to send a letter to anyone but without evidence it's a waste of a stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay, here's my take having read the initial post and some of the responses

First off, writing to the department of justice is absolutely no use at all, they'll just refer you back to the Gardai

Second, the guard's are correct in saying they can't do anything, while the guy is clearly being a pr!ck, he hasn't actually done anything illegal, at least that can be definitively proven and result in a conviction

They can't really arrest someone because they think he might commit a crime except in extreme circumstances. If someone is standing outside a bank wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun, then the guards have reasonable grounds to arrest him

Calling someone names, and shoving into you aren't exactly going to be indicators that the guy was trying to cause you harm. He could after all just not have been looking where he was going, or at least that's what he will claim

I think you're also giving the guy a bit too much credit regarding his intelligence. I suspect you're correct that he's trying to goad you into some confrontation but I don't think he's specifically trying to get you a conviction. I'm pretty sure if any confrontation arose, given your background and his history of assaults and carrying a concealed weapon, it's hard to see any judge taking his side unless you basically kerb stomped him to death

More likely, he's identified you as someone he can target, and he thinks that by baiting someone known for being a bit of a tough guy that it'll make him look tougher by comparison

Given your knowledge of martial arts, I presume you're familiar with more non lethal ways to taking someone down and inflicting pain rather than injury. I know a street fight doesn't exactly have a referee and things can go sideways pretty quickly, but it's quite possible that if he ever attacked you, then your training would kick in and you'd be able to stop him without the aforementioned kerb stomp (tempting as it may be)

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to be a bit of a monk on this one, and insofar as possible just keep doing what you're doing. Avoid the guy as much as possible, don't rise to his baiting and don't escalate a situation. Report anything threatening to the guards so that if there is a physical confrontation, there's a massive paper trail of misconduct on his part to stand in your favour

Hopefully after seeing that he's not getting to you in any significant way he'll lose interest. Unfortunately he'll probably just move onto his next victim then, these types of guys don't learn or change

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Great analysis.

Correct on all counts........ except probably the very last line:

Hopefully after seeing that he's not getting to you in any significant way he'll lose interest. Unfortunately he'll probably just move onto his next victim then, these types of guys don't learn or change

Probability is he'll never lose interest.

And this situation will come to a head, hopefully, by continuing as you said, my establishing a paper trail, continuing to report infractions, and at some point he'll cross the line sufficiently to incriminate him.

With me, he's like a moth to a flame. Proven time again he just can't help himself.

Full disclosure, I have this type of effect on many of the "billy bad ass" types, but far more dangerous types have recognized where their actions could lead (their incrimination) and backed off, this creeper I believe has actually so little in his life to lose, that the possibility of implicating me, is worth the risk.

But yes point taken.

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to be a bit of a monk on this one, and insofar as possible just keep doing what you're doing. Avoid the guy as much as possible, don't rise to his baiting and don't escalate a situation. Report anything threatening to the guards so that if there is a physical confrontation, there's a massive paper trail of misconduct on his part to stand in your favour

This is what I've been doing and will have to continue to do, by all appearances.

I thought acting more pre-emptively could possibly take this hassle out of my life, but based on a comprehensive analysis:

1) coppers can't do anything until he "crosses a line"

2) department of justice are unlikely to modify national police strategy on my behalf

So it's simply a question of prudence and awareness.

Thankfully this strategy is kind of inbuilt into my day to day conduct by default, which I guess makes things somewhat easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is no point in writing to the justice department. They will just pass your letter to the Garda.

You could write to the Superintendent of the district in which you live. It may get some action but it may also put the guards against you.

The guards can do very little. They have nothing to threaten him with and will only want to bring serious charges against him if at all.

They don't want to spend months trying to prosecute him foe a public order offence.

He might well be a source of information to the guards and they don't want to lose that.

• Advertisement

You could write to the Superintendent of the district in which you live. It may get some action but it may also put the guards against you.

How's that?

Well, may raise their concern I might respond excessively - as the above poster put it, "kerb stomp" the guy (unlikely, unless he did something truly terrible but in that case I'd be more likely to defer to law enforcement immediately).

The officer I spoke to initially also dedicated significant time and effort to the report, doing a full background check etc.

She was very well informed in relation to the situation.

Locally, going over her head (not the most pleasant woman ever, but certainly "tuned in"), isn't something I feel could confer significant additional benefit - unless the situation really spiralled out of control.

So you obviously feel if I wrote to the superintendent, they may consider my request a waste of resources or the expectation of exceptional treatment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Based on your hobbies, I'm going to guess your general physique is.... enviable

If you ever read Of Mice and Men you may recall the character Curley, a small aggressive guy who likes to pick fights with bigger men to show how tough he is

I kinda suspect you've got a Curley on your hands here. And unfortunately he isn't the only one, you'll probably have to deal with this again in future

As you say, not escalating a situation is the far better approach, there's no sense in getting in trouble over a sewer rat

One things which might help your cause is if he's trying to start something could be to pull your phone out and start videoing him. Or get a mate to do it if you're not alone

If the situation does escalate then you have evidence of you trying to defuse things, and being on camera might defuse the situation by itself

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Offer him a sparring session down at the gym, then go all Charlie Zelenoff on him.

One things which might help your cause is if he's trying to start something could be to pull your phone out and start videoing him. Or get a mate to do it if you're not alone

If the situation does escalate then you have evidence of you trying to defuse things, and being on camera might defuse the situation by itself

Great suggestion.

Hard to believe this didn't occur to me already.

Definitely need to bear this in mind in future.

And yes, not to sound conceited but I believe it's his inferiority complex that gets triggered, is the reason for this behaviour.

And again correct, it happens with that type of person frequently.

@Sugar_Rush , are you non-Irish I wonder? We don't have "police" nor "officers", and you seem rather clueless about how the Gardai operate and what they will and won't do.

And whoever said it above, they were right to tell you you need to be very careful about writing letters to the Guards and going over people's heads.

If you go writing letters to Supers over the heads of the Sergeants when there realistically isn't anything they can do about it, you are only going to piss them off and turn them against you and you'll not be entertained any more.

by the sound of it, the Gardai have given you reasonable advice and have been truthful as to what they can and cannot do. What is certain is they are not going to waste scarce resources trying to piece togther a vague case for harrassement which, nomatter how bad it is, is not going to carry a custodial sentence.

With a fella like this, the only real interest the Gardai will have is if they do something serious like a very serious assault with life threatening injuries. Even a few punches being thrown by him, they are not likely to bring a case unless it is a very serious assault.

Gardai are probably as frustrated too because there are scumbags like this up and down every town in the country and any time they are prosecuted for an offence, even a serious one, they get suspended or very short sentences by soft touch judges and they are back out again. And it is not even the judges are soft as such - the root of the problem is there is not enough prison space to accomodate people who ought to be in prison. All prisons are packed and overcroweded as it is, so only the very most serious and dangerous criminals are locked up, and the lesser ones get short stints or suspended sentences.

I'm Irish originally yes. But I grew up elsewhere. I don't think like someone who was raised in Ireland, because for intents and purposes I wasn't.

But re you contention, is there not a system of house arrest under Irish law?

Cause I've considered this situation and it seems to be to be the ideal solution.

I have wide ranging views on how law enforcement should be implemented, not only me of course. The entire country seems to be crying out for reform from the rampant delinquent subculture.

This is something I would have considered by way of a letter to the justice department, voicing this concern.

But perhaps this wouldn't really be an effective approach, or if I were to write such a letter, it should focus on the broader issue and make no mention of this specific occurrence (which again would probably only get tossed aside, unless I had a position of status..... like Conor McGregor or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are your own worst enemy. Your own views about law enforcement are irrelevant to a situation you are involved in personally. Your use of language may also piss of any garda you deal with. A mode of conveyance is a metaphysical object and cant be damaged. Use of convoluted phrases when one word would suffice is poor communication, particularly when the convoluted phrase doesn't even mean what you appear to think it does, You should learn and use basic English.

There is no such thing as a house arrest in ireland. But what you do have sometimes would be a condition attached to bail that someone not leave their house except for certain purposes until they are brought back to court for trial. Or a condition on release that someone be curfewed at night or not visit a certain place. But that is only short term, and is pretty unenforceable.

Firstly for that to happen, he woudl need to be charged with a serious offence. The offence would want to be serious enough that he could not get normal bail, and in any case he'd be likely given only a short or no sentence when it goes back to court. And until it escalates into a serious assualt where you have witnesses or the guards catch him red handed, you are not going to be getting a case anywhere near a court. So for now, forget it.

I see. Yes you certainly don't seem clued in to how things work here. In fact you seem to be living in a sort of cloud cuckoo land if you ask me. I don't know where you were raised but it certainly seems to have imbued you with some sort of notions that you can click your fingers and have the Gardai and DoJ at your fingertips.

Several people here have told you that writing letters to the DoJ is a waste of time. They are right. But you seem fixated on the idea. So why don't you go ahead so, write to the Minister of Justice with your grand wide ranging ideas for justice reform. See where it gets you. I'm sure you'll have a personal meeting with the Minister before this day week.

Post edited by Girl Geraldine on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Until such time as an actual crime is comitted your options would seem to be limited to personal protection along the lines of

https://www.uk.safeguardclothing.com/products/coolmax-ballistic-level-2-stab-level-1-covert-vest-white

and maybe the wearing of a discrete body cam/recording device

Neither are cheap but then neither is time recuperating from an attack

• Maybe he just fancies you OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement