Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Wow you really post some dumb stuff but this is a peach even for you "Nobody can say for sure whether they had COVID or not". I guess all those millions of positive antigen tests were just a guide? all the sequencing of positive samples?

Just because it was your experience does not make it true for everyone, the world does not revolve around you or your particular experience.

/Edit: I should have said PCR not antigen, my mistake, I got them mixed up.

Post edited by Sconsey on

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Antigen tests that people did in their homes and were described as snake oil by one of our health leaders during the pandemic? These are the basis for people claiming they had COVID? Seems a bit of a scam to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What Philip Nolan said was - "a negative test might give false reassurance that you are free of infection.”

The concern about people self administering antigen tests was that you wouldn't swab correctly \ get enough viral load and the test wouldn't pick it up and would report negative. And then go out and about spreading it.

If you followed the instructions on the test kit - basic stuff like washing hands and not eating or drinking for the required minutes beforehand - and tested positive, then almost certainly you had Covid.

To suggest it was a scam, and to use the Nolan quote out of context in support of that, is deliberate misrepresentation and misinformation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

As Nolan was allowed to clarify, let me clarify my scam comment. It is a bit of a scam in that having little to no symptoms was still being classified as a problem solely because of a positive antigen test that people just claimed was positive at home. Totally unverifiable and ludicrous that anyone was concerned when symptoms making a person sick should obviously be the main driver of concern.

My wife tested positive on an antigen test and I didn't want to stick the thing in my nose to test myself so just assumed I was positive and told work, took the week to WFH and even claimed to be sick for a couple days. No doctor would see me to give a sick note indicating I was in fact sick. It shows hysteria and insanity took over from reason and science, consequently making the antigen test COVID phase of the pandemic a bit of a scam.

Who said such scenarios were the main driver of concern? Nobody.

But it is a problem if you can spread it and then make someone sick. It seems to be more likely to occur if you are in the pre-symptomatic phase rather than remain fully asymptomatic, but the data suggests it can occur. If you have evidence to the contrary, that people without symptoms cannot spread the virus, then do share.

Otherwise, to suggest it is unscientific, hysteria or insanity and a scam is utterly without foundation. It's just slogan bingo.

• Advertisement

I have complained to RTE already and would suggest others do the same. They have reproduced a factually incorrect assertion from anti-relaxer Kingston Mills from Morning Ireland, stating that the Kraken is quite different to Omicron when it is just a sub-variant of Omicron. This is wrong but are we surprised that facts are being trampled on to create a COVID narrative? Nah.

Positive antigen tests were being used by people left, right and centre to claim they had COVID and as a result people stopped doing PCR tests. Therefore, there was no more officially collated data to indicate the gravity or prevalence of COVID in society, yet there was still a concern around its circulation. But based on what? Mary and Joe claiming to have positive antigen tests at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's weird how people still claim they've never had COVID.

Even the antigen test explanation, are people still really taking antigen tests every time they interact with society?

What's the point? You are happy to interact with society, where it circulates freely, so obviously not concerned about getting it, then waste your money taking antigen tests just to say you never had it.

I did see a woman all masked up, alone, on a beach the other day, so there's still a few that swallow politicians soundbytes verbatim I suppose.

That happened because PCR test capacity was overwhelmed. Extra data would not have made a difference at that point.

If there were trends in the levels of antigens reported, that would indicate trends in society. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate at macro level.

But that wasn't the only data - GP referrals, hospital referrals similar to what is done for flu surveilence would also be used.

To state that there was no officially collated data tracking the prevalence of COVID in society is without foundation, and is false.

How is his statement factually incorrect? You have entirely failed to support your claim and the only facts being trampled on are by you.

Kraken is a sub-variant reflecting its lineage but has noticeable differences:

One of the mutations helps it more effectively escape the body’s immune system much like its forebearer XBB. But more importantly it picked up the ability to better attach itself to the receptors on cells allowing it to infect them more effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s not the big bad wolf that some would love it to believe. This won’t be causing any set backs. It’s already peaked in a lot of places already.

People are delusional if they think the world is going back to 2020.

Is it a sub variant or new variant?

A new, highly transmissible coronavirus variant is likely to become the dominant strain in Ireland, according to Professor of Experimental Immunology at Trinity College Dublin Kingston Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Due to the media's hysterical reporting, lots of people still see COVID as a very deadly disease. The "If ya had COVID you'd know all about it" attitude.

It was the official position from day one that most people would be fine but we needed to protect the vulnerable, and so it remains, and it was 100% correct.

Unfortunately, that is a degree of subtlety that is too much for some people, particularly those who get their scientific data from Eddie Hobbs or went to the Joe Rogan School of Medicine.

I think you misunderstood my post and I can see why. I didn't word it too well.

If you tested positive, of course it's almost certain you had COVID.

My post was to people saying that they've never had COVID. You can't know that unless you've been testing every day since the pandemic started.

No smyptoms at all or extremely mild was very common. There's likely a lot of people out there that think they've never had COVID but actually have.

I don't recall NPHET, the government or the Irish media ever giving the impression that most people would be fine.

You don't recall? Is that your way of dressing your falsehoods up?

Your statements on this subject are demonstrably false. What you recall is not what happened.

This is from Varadkar's speech from Washington announcing the first main set of covid measures, which had huge profile in terms of media coverage.

It is important to remember that the disease effects will be mild for the majority of people especially the young and healthy.

We know that older people and those with chronic diseases are at real risk. We have a duty as a society to protect ourselves and above all to protect others - our parents and grandparents, our family and friends, co-workers and neighbours.

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-room/news/statement_by_an_taoiseach_leo_varadkar_on_measures_to_tackle_covid-19_washington_12_march_2020.html

But yet near the end of May 2021 we had Tony Holohan tweeting

"Drove into Dublin City centre to collect someone from work at 8.15 pm. Absolutely shocked at scenes in South Great George’s St, Exchequer St, South William St area. Enormous crowds- like a major open-air party. This is what we do not need when we have made so much progress."

IIRC all the vulnerable and elderly had been vaccinated at this point.

How come he didn't start his tweet by saying the effects will be mild for the young and healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

That was March 2020! What about all the incessant scaremongering by media since then?? Anyone that tried to make the point above would have been ostracised including here on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

It's comforting to know that when I'm being prodded with the satanic pitchforks for not stoking the fiery furnace fast enough, I was just unlucky enough to be one of the "some" of the unfortunates.

I have not really dwelt on the subject as I don't get around a lot now, but I gather that Covid can knock a lot of people back, a little more with each new infection. It's what I gleaned from a scan through of the headlines.

I have managed to find some of the masks I had left over, it was prompted by a woman in Aldi Tralee, who bravely shrugged off whatever respiratory illness she had in order to shower shoppers with particulates of whatever was multiplying inside her and also treat them to a racket that would guarantee a run on earplugs tf the store stocked them.

Anyway it seems a small inconvenience to go back to mask wearing and even if I succumb, I will have done everything reasonable to avoid infecting others I suppose.

The fact that it might be just as easy to die of the flu is probably of little comfort to the poor individual gasping his final breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If that was the official position from day one, then exactly why did all those people die in nursing homes?

Because I and others always knew that I would be fine but that they needed the extra help, its such a shame that those in charge didn't appear to be aware of what you are claiming.

• Advertisement

That was March 2020 in a public address to the nation. One of the highest profile broadcasts this century by a Taoiseach.

The message from the government, HSE has been from the outset most cases would be mild. I have linked multiple points of evidence disproving this canard.

By contrast, nobody here has linked the mythical government, HSE press releases stating to the contrary, despite it apparently being an overload of hysteria. So it should be a simple thing to do. The inability to support the claim makes its falsehood glaringly obvious.

The Leo that also said in March 2020 that 85000 people could die.

Maybe he got confused and added a 0 by accident.

LOL!

85000 people, the graphs, the exponentials, flatten the curve.

Yep. That's our Taoiseach that said 85000. And our Minister for Health Simon Harris said he was taking Sam McConkeys figures of 80000 - 120000 deaths very seriously.

What hysteria?

Just FYI, you spelled "oh, you're right, thank you for pointing out my error" incorrectly.

For those denying the hysteria, it has to be hard to see quotes from the then Taoiseach and Minister for Health mentioning numbers like 80 - 120000 deaths.

They absolutely weren't saying that most people would be fine.

Again, this is the problem when we deviate from simple one sentence instructions like "stay at home", people get confused, as this thread so lavishly illustrates.

It's why people like you respond so well to being manipulated, you hear the simple explanation for why you have failed in life, and it's always someone else's fault, and it's like a wolf whistle to you, you go running to whoever is holding your leash.

Firstly, it was March 2020, when Covid had been known about for about a month.

Secondly, it was always a worst-case scenario and was described as such.

Thirdly, we spent the next two years actively trying to reduce that number, and we succeeded.

Fourthly, back in March 2020, the idea that we'd have totally effective vaccines in less than a year was absolutely crazy, but that's what happened, thanks to the science to which you so stridently opposed.

You seem to be very unhappy that all the measures taken to reduce the death toll were so successful, which I have to say is an odd take. Would 10,000 more deaths have made you happy?

1.7% of the population seems like a reasonable estimate if we did nothing and continued like normal

The numbers were absolute rubbish and pure hysteria.

Global data backs up that even countries that didn't lockdown at all didn't see a huge number of deaths so Ireland was never going to.

Our leaders had no business discussing figures like that in the media.

But they wanted to terrify people and generate hysteria to get better compliance with their Draconian lockdowns.

And the media were more than happy to run with it. 8000 deaths over the next several years wouldn't exactly grab headlines.

• Advertisement

Advertisement