Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The regular viruses for kids are much stronger than covid, chickenpox and rsv for example.

Anyone with young kids knows how many sniffles they get during the winter months. It feels non stop sometimes.

Covid is in the common cold category for me. Rarely even give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If employers want remote workers that's up to them. I worked remotely on several contracts prior to the pandemic.

However, I remember one public sector worker that seemed to have the life of Reilly but maybe it was the same in the office for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Still social distancing, wearing N-95s, and now triple boosted. Have not contracted Covid or flu or common cold in 2 years. Coincidence, or alternatively a Sherlock deduction? 😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The vast majority didn’t support masks.however according to Pravda \rte we all wanted them forever.unfortunately rte brought on Pete Lunn who was the only person who knew what everyone was thinking so it was gospel.

im done with covid a long time now.i decked from about June 2020 that this thing was one hell of an overhyped load of bullshit.I done my bit.wore the mask but not properly.got 3 pricks in the arm but never again and I’m not an anti vaxer.just anti this one now.still got the so called killer flu and it was just a runny nose.

if some are so frightened by the propaganda they were fed by the media and celebrity professors and doctors then there is nothing the rest of us can do.leave them alone and have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Thing about masks is even the medical people can't seem to agree. I had to go to A and E a few months ago put my mask that most people wear on no problem with the hospital. Yet when I go to give blood where there's no sick people that mask isn't allowed I have to replace it with a surgical mask. So my question is who's right or wrong?

• Advertisement

Masks are not a mild inconvenience... If they were everyone would still happily wear them.

Maybe that's just your opinion and you're coming at it from a selfish perspective.

The global data doesn't show that masks helped. Ireland got down to 0 cases in 2020 without masks. We also did just fine in 2022 without masks.

We actually had our worst periods of case numbers with mask mandates in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Timfy

"The people I see still wearing masks outside a medical setting, in general, seem like they've lost it. The people in health settings are happy with masks by and large even though they offer very little medical benefit as covid19 is an airborne pathogen.

I think it's best you go back to the conspiracy thread where you usually lurk. You can wear your mask and your tinfoil hat just don't expect me to wind tinfoil around my head too."

You do realise that masks are not utilised to stop the wearer contracting a disease but to stop the wearer, should they be unknowingly infected, from spreading the disease.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You do realise that masks are not utilised to stop the wearer contracting a disease but to stop the wearer, should they be unknowingly infected, from spreading the disease

Well, they do both, but the fundamental problem is a small minority of people don't care about protecting others.

Like, you have people on this thread who regard their refusal to wear a mask as a badge of honour. Trying to convince them of the facts only hardens their resolve to ignore them. And the idea that one of these people would actually get tested if showing symptoms, or self-isolate, or even stay away from crowded places? Nah, f**k that, it's not their job to look after you.

It might go against 100 years of medical science but it makes them feel part of something, like they belong to something for once in their sad little lives. That's why we saw such a collection of freaks and oddballs at these marches against the restrictions and vaccines. It's why there is such overlap between Covid protests and anti-immigrant marches and anti-gay-man-being-minister-for-children marches. Fruitcakes.

The only saving grace is that the high levels of compliance with restrictions and vaccinations show us that it is a tiny minority who are this stupid, and it's a reflief that we have very tight restrictions on firearms in this country.

The worrying thing is where these people go next as Covid winds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

All that trouble to avoid a fever and cough for a few days, and you're happy about it....

I prefer not to shout through a mask while having a conversation at long distance, and I prefer not to have drugs that were rushed through trials floating around in my system.

It's that kind of attitude that would have us all in trouble if you had any kind of power.

I prefer to have my naked face within licking distance of someone else's face, just like the good old days.

Only a tiny number of people are currently wearing masks.

If you're so sure that they help to protect people and the vast majority are not wearing them, surely that's not a small minority?

The rest of your post is just weird rambling nonsense.

• Advertisement

You do realise that masks are not utilised to stop the wearer contracting a disease but to stop the wearer, should they be unknowingly infected, from spreading the disease.

And, so what?

Masks are just pointless covid theatre that are thankfully still getting smaller in the rear view mirror.

Once Leo doesn't crack and pander to the Unions, Twitchers & Vulnerables, they'll be consigned to the history books forever, whatever their so called benefits are.

The only saving grace is that the high levels of compliance with restrictions and vaccinations show us that it is a tiny minority who are this stupid, and it's a reflief that we have very tight restrictions on firearms in this country.

I would say the reason the Irish craved restrictions and complied, even asked for more, is because they replaced the church of Jebus with the church of Tony, and they like being told what to do.

Threaten to take away their pub privileges and their cheap drinking holidays in Lanzagrotty and you've got a winning formula for compliance.

Fúck it, even I got the first two jabs so I could get the barcode... Anything to get away from this prison island.

Ramble ramble masks

Ramble ramble covid

Ramble ramble climate change

Ramble ramble the Guberments fault

Ramble ramble Ireland

On a loop....

I can never understand why people so miserable and always moaning about Ireland don't just emigrate. It wouid be good for them, and good for everyone else.

How do you know?

I only found out I had COVID because I took an antigen before visiting an elderly relative in poor health. I had practically no symptoms and didn't need a sick day or anything.

Earlier in the pandemic it would have went undetected when NPHET insisted that Antigen tests were snake oil.

There's likely lots of people that have had COVID and didn't even notice.

Most people aren't testing at all. If a number of small kids are in the house there's always sniffles during the winter months.

Personally I never tested positive for covid but surely had it at some stage. Everyone will get it unless they are recluse.

3/10 for effort.

I'm docking points for associating me with climate change whiners, Greta, the Greens, the ice caps and the polar bears can all take a hike for all I care.

Why would I want to emigrate?

The weather isn't too hot or too cold here, so I'm comfortable.

If I moved abroad I'd have to start all over again, I might even have to do something called work, and we can't be having that.

So thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll stay put. Life is reasonably easy here, but covid gives me something to whinge about...

Win-win for everyone 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The vast majority did support masks. The virus doesn't care about your personal world views and conspiracies, like any virus it just wants to spread and masks reduce that.

How do you know the vast majority supported masks? We never voted on them.

You were told last night how these polls are framed to guide you towards certain answers.

Most importantly though, why did everyone instantly stop wearing them the day the mandate ended?

If people are so supportive of something, why did they have to be ordered by law to do it?

They are a mild inconvenience, it's just a piece of paper. You yourself said you would have no problem putting one on to protect friends/family, etc.

Masks did help, they reduce the spread of the virus. It's why medical professionals wear them in hospitals, that's not for decoration.

If I ask you now how Covid spreads and how a mask reduces that, I strongly suspect you still don't know

Or maybe you do understand but you still want to rail against masks for whatever personal reasons.

If they are mild inconvenience and you think they help so much and people are supportive of them... Why is nobody wearing them?

You simply don't have an answer

• Advertisement

For you. Your grandparents may think differently. Also medical science does too.

You can answer this.

Why did people wear masks in e.g. 1918 and not 3 years later?

Think. This is not a trick question.

Stop avoiding the question.

The CMOs current advice is to wear a mask. The Taoiseach advised to wear a mask. You said people are supportive of masks. The latest poll I saw showed people support a mask mandate.

Why are people not wearing masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why didn't everyone wears masks during the last pandemic?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Maybe the current CMO isn't getting the message out as effectively due to the fact that the previous one was allowed keep all the followers of an official government handle.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

If masks are so effective then why when they became compulsory that figures rocketed to 25/30,000 a day.and as I said in my original reply the likes of Pete lunn wheeled out by rte to tell me what I should think hadn’t a bulls notion.

again how has man survived for millennia without masks

Mild inconvenience he says. Oh how I laughed.

Leaving aside that they're nothing but a hateful example of "quick, do something", why were they dropped by most* people like a hot spud as soon the laws lapsed?

*most: You say most people supported them, I say most people hated them, but seeing as we have no official data to back up either claim, my use of the word "most" is valid.

I think you'd need to have your head stuck in the ground not to know the spiel.

Here's one of the better reviews.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8768005/#!po=51.2766

If we all wore sealed infectious disease suits, had our own oxygen supplies, used gamma radiation or ethylene oxide sterilisation processes for anything entering our house, it would be even better at preventing covid19 transmission.

IMHO, n95 respirators in hospital is overkill and the healthcare professionals need to cop on.

A considerable number of selfish people are still going on about masks and would like everyone to wear them again with little regard for children and young people looking to find a partner and just live a normal life

This group belong in Victorian times when the legs of tables had to be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Deleted. Why am I engaging

Advertisement