Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That area you marked is a bit of a bermuda triangle I have found quite a few boats around it, thanks for your help I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 luna11

No problem at all, you have north to south well covered so maybe start east to west. Go into the left of rindoon pt where it funnels in there we call that warren pt (a south wind tends to blow into that bay) and work your way over to inchmore, it would be handy if you had a lake boat for tipping along slowly in fine weather so you could cover the shallow areas also, let us know if you come across anything interesting and we will dive it even if you think it's not your boat but something of interest

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I thought this one looked interesting seems to be an old wooden cargo boat maybe carrying truf or Gold bars 😜

We are hoping to dive that Saturday, I'll let ya know how we get on I believe it's full of timber, it's a decent size boat it will be interesting to see it on the bottom to see what condition it's in

That would be great, I did hear of an IRA boat going down on the Ree carrying a shipment of gold if this is it I want 50 percent, if it's just timber well that's gold to me you can't beat vintage timber. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Timber worth almost as much as gold these days 😭😁

Hi fergal have you the co ordinates of these 2 by any chance?

Hi Fergal

Have you the Co ordinates for these 2 by any chance?

I have for one but I think its a bit far down the lake, 53 28.789'N 7 56.699'W. are you looking for something in particular or just something to dive on as I have lots of images 😕

We are actually closer to that end of the lake so its perfect Fergal thanks, We normally launch from the clubhouse and head up the lake. Are there any wrecks that weren't dived that you just ruled out by the scanner?

• Advertisement

I have ruled this one out as not mine 😀 no idea what it is maybe an ice-cream van. I have a few lake boats down the lake and a yacht at Temple island, I believe it had a yacht club on it years ago. If you like I will PM you some images or look me up on Facebook and I will send them to you. Thanks again.

That one there now would definitely interest me, you would wonder what that is on the mound, looks like barrels on a pallet or something, yea i'll look ya up on facebook fergal thanks a million 👍

Looks like a large cruiser at the bottom of the mound so it might have hit that mound when the water was low and knocked something off.

I like the look of this one not the fact that its upside down but it looks like it might have a prop shaft and the Guide fin hard metal looks a bit brighter than wood the fin just looks like a white dot, it also looks flat bottomed and if you look at the transom you can just about make out a step in to where the trim tabs are this would also give me a measurement of 17 foot.

Another one I found last weekend is a rough image with not very clear lines but I thought I could just about make out two exhaust ports.

Goodman Fergal I'm out tomorrow with the club.me and one of the lads are diving it, fingers crossed it's it👍

That would be great thanks, it's only 28 feet deep so hopefully you should see red soon enough.😀 I passed on the coordinates to Liam Sherringham.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jeepers, this is starting to get a bit exciting!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oh god this is exciting!!!!!!!

don’t want to jump ahead of myself but if it is Old’s Cool, that’s the plan/process to get her up to the surface? Salvage balloons?

Yep it would probably be floatation bags to get her up tow her to the marina and drop her on a trailer and then get the engine going the same day. I might also be able to get my hands on a barge with a crane if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Looks promising!

If you do get her back, Fergal, are there any changes you would make to prevent future sinkings??

• Advertisement

I will have to wait and see why she went down so fast, I have a feeling that hitting the wave so hard it might have forced the motor stringer through the hull if that's the case more bracing, also a zip lock bag for my phone and a bouy with a PLB and a long rope attached to the boat 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

Just add buoyancy bags, the same as in a wooden dingy. To be honest, coming from a sailing background I am surprised you never had any.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You're accusing Fergal of coming from a sailing background!

Don't think he'll be too impressed 😂

I calculated it and even if every space on the boat was filled with air there would still not be enough buoyancy to float a V8 and gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Really exciting, fingers crossed

Just in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

YEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NO?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Delighted for ya Fergal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Which one was it? And how far away from where you thought she’d be is she?

Advertisement