Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCAA College football season 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

USC - Utah just about to kick-off. Would love to see USC go all the way, but Utah have been the bogey team of late so this is a big game. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

USC looked like they were going to run away with it taking a 17-3 lead but it's all level at 17-17 at halftime.

USC down by 7 and Williams banged up. He's still in the game but noticeably limping.

Limp is getting worse, offensive line not holding up. It's looking very like an upset.

Utah got a ten.point lead but Williams got it together to cut it to three. Utah on the move again though. And just as I was about to post, 60 yard td for Utah. Ten point lead again.

Still ten minutes left. 34-24 Utah.

Win or lose, Williams has certainly sewn up the Heisman tonight for sure.

Williams got it down to the Utah 20 and then throws a pick. It's game over bar a miracle now.

Buckeyes will get in so long as Michigan win tomorrow.

TD Ute's, 41-24.

Lincoln Riley needs to hire a real defensive co-ordinator. He brought Alex Grinch with him from Oklahoma. The Sooners couldn't defend to save their lives under him and it's been pretty much the same this year for the Trojans.

Has he? I think tonight opens the door for Max Duggan if he has a great game tomorrow.

I think Caleb should get it based on the season but wins count a lot in the Heisman race. The last five winners had made the final four.

• Advertisement

47-24 final score. Utah might jump into the top eight. Hard to gauge how far USC falls after that. They lost twice to the same team and got mailed by them the second time. It's not a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So the door is open for Ohio State with that USC loss.

Another fly in the ointment is if the TCU Horned Frogs don't beat Kansas State, they are only a 2.5 point favorite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ointment is full of flies at this stage, Kansas beating TCU!

Will Bama get back in now? I'd say the top 3 would prefer TCU and/or USC in the playoffs, because in a one off do or die game, Tide would still be dangerous for all their faults this year.

I don't think you can make the case for Alabama at this stage.

They are a two loss team, there will be max three* one loss teams by the end of the night and one zero loss team.

You could not exclude one loss Ohio State, TCU or possibly one loss Michigan* in favour of two loss Alabama.

*Posted at HT in Big 10 championship game, Michigan 14 Perdue 13.

Playoff demo finals.

Georgia v Ohio St

TCU v Michigan.

Alabama at 5,lose out, with USC playing a heavy price for their defeat on Friday.

Politically, it was going to be hard to choose a team with 2 losses, and not even playing in. Conference final, but still... If I was UGA or Michigan I'd prefer to be playing TCU or this Ohio St in a big playoff than the Tide.

I was very surprised the Buckeyes got in.

They lost by 22 to Michigan and the very next week the unranked Purdue lost by 21. I thought that would put the Buckeyes out.

Personally I'd have put a three loss team in and that's Utah. They went and thumped the no.4 team. They won the PAC12 championship. None of Ohio State, Alabama and Tennessee played in a championship game.

The biggest bowl game for me is the Sugar Bowl. Kansas State play Alabama and it has a huge affect on how the rankings begin next season. The SEC has had this advantage over all the other leagues as being much tougher and better. If Kansas State can beat Alabama who are the second highest ranked SEC team it has to have a huge affect on the thinking.

• Advertisement

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I was a coach or player the National Championship would only be my second goal. I just love the Rose Bowl, it's the oldest bowl game and it gets the biggest crowd. I love the name, the grandaddy of them all.

This year it's Utah vs Penn State and should be a great one. This year it takes place on Monday 2nd January at 10pm our time.

The major bowl games are below, times are Ireland/UK times.

Saturday, Dec. 31(Friday night)

Orange Bowl

Clemson (7) vs. Tennessee (6)

Hard Rock Stadium; Miami Gardens, Florida 1 am

Saturday, Dec. 31

Sugar Bowl

Alabama (5) vs. Kansas State (9)

Caesars Superdome; New Orleans 5 pm

Fiesta Bowl (College Football Playoff semifinal)

No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 3 TCU

State Farm Stadium; Glendale, Arizona 9 pm

Peach Bowl (College Football Playoff semifinal) (Saturday night)

No. 1 Georgia vs. No. 4 Ohio State

Mercedes-Benz Stadium; Atlanta 1 am

Monday, Jan. 2

Cotton Bowl

USC (10) vs. Tulane (16)

AT&T Stadium; Arlington, Texas 6 pm

Rose Bowl

Utah (8) vs. Penn State (11)

Rose Bowl; Pasadena, California 10 pm

Monday. Jan. 9 (Monday night)

College Football Playoff National Championship

TBD

SoFi Stadium; Inglewood, California 12.30 am

The four for the Heisman Trophy which takes place on Saturday night are CJ Stroud, Max Duggan, Caleb Williams and believe it or not Stetson Bennett.

I cannot believe Bennett is in it, he might be a QB on a great team but there's 20 better Heisman candidates than him.

Caleb Williams has to get it, far and away the most outstanding player this season.

How have you found the Bowl season this year?

Gotta say, I've found it underwhelming this far. I know the really big ones are in next weekend, but the proliferation of largely meaningless games in front of sparse crowds with incomplete rosters do nothing for me anyway. Is it a thing that there are just too many of them, or is the spectre of the forthcoming College playoffs overwhelming them?

But it's been that way for years.

20 years ago people were complaining about too many bowl games.

There are all thses Other Five conference teams with records of .500 or so since December 16th up until this coming weekend.

It's not that appealing to the neutrals.

But these bowl invitations are obviously beneficial to the programs that take part.

It's a game for scouts as there isn't a plethora of games on. New coaches coming in the next season get to see what they've got. It's a chance to win something for a lot of teams that otherwise would always have a bare cabinet.

It's not for everybody and only once have I watched every game. That was 2014 when my wife had a C-section and I was on night duty for the whole of December and January. I loved it that year. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

Yep, and he's not even the best QB in his class. The 2024 NFL draft is absolutely loaded at QB.

Williams is pretty awesome but you are right, 2024 is loaded.

Williams and Maye are my top 2 right now but you've also got the likes of Ewers, Penix, Sanders, Uiagalelei, Van Dyke, Jurkovec, McCall, Leary and Jefferson who need to show a bit more next year but all of them have a lot of talent and it's entirely possible that five of the top ten picks in '24 are QBs.

Watching Clemson Vs Tennessee. It's been a great game. Volunteers just got back to a 14 point lead. Tigers have fought hard but the Volunteers have managed to keep them at bay. Tennessee's defense looks to be tiring now but the offense looks to be getting better.

Both teams look.in great shape for next year on offense with Klubnik looking very talented, he's a true freshman and he's made a couple of mistakes, as you'd expect from someone so inexperienced, but looks like a massive talent. Shipley will be there next year as well and he's a top notch running back.

For Tennessee, Milton is staying another year and I'd imagine he'll be the starter and he has looked great since Hooker went down.

Volunteers just got an interception, seven minutes left and it's looking really good for them now.

Obviously tomorrow is a huge day.

I think Alabama will beat Kansas State quite easily, I think the difference is defense and it's not a good comparison for Kansas State.

I don't think either of the college football playoff games will be close. I think Michigan win easily and Georgia too.

USC and Tulane will be a wild, very high scoring game.I like USC's chances but I wouldn't rule out a Tulane win.

And finally my favourite bowl game, the grandaddy of them all the Rose Bowl pits Utah against Penn State and I like the Nittany Lions chance in this one.

Volunteers get the field goal to take a three score 17 point lead with 3.07 left and Clemson with no timeouts.

I'm delighted for Tennessee, they've been very good all season. It's their first major bowl win for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wife's family in Tn are over the moon. I best dig out my Vols t-shirt!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The Bowl games have improved in recent days as the quality of teams has improved

Alabama handing a beating to Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl, as is said when the top 4 were finalised those 4 teams should be happy Bama missed out, because while they may not have won it out, they are more than capable of beating 3oit of those 4 teams, and possibly Georgia too on a good day.

Looking forward to the 2 semi finals, but expect a Georgia Michigan championship final.

EDIT. Great start for TCU!

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

The horned frogs really putting it up to Michigan.

Leading 21-6 at HT

It was 21-9 with 6:40 to go in the third quarter.

Less than 9 minutes later, it's 48-38. It's just gone berserk.

• Advertisement

I put the Michigan loss firmly on the heads of the coaches. Some very stupid play calls made, particularly on the goal to go plays. Edwards hardly got an opportunity to punch it in, he's the star of the offense. They completely over thought things trying trick plays and using irregular personnel.

This game now is another insane game. The Buckeyes led 21-7 with 11 minutes left in the second quarter, there's now 6 minutes left in the second quarter and it's 21-21. The way this is going there could be 80+ points in this game.

28-24 Buckeyes at halftime. It's hard to call how this will go although I have a suspicion that this Georgia defense will step up at some stage.

The Bulldogs gave up 30 points in a full game to LSU and next to that was 22 points twice. Ohio State are going to have the most points by a mile of any team to.play them.

We could be in for another shock here. Buckeyes stopped the Bulldogs in three plays to start the second half and go down the field and score the touchdown to extend their lead to 35-24. Stroud is having a great game, he has 292 yards with three 3 TD passes to this point. Egbuka having a great game, Harrison jr is out of this world.

41-35 Buckeyes. 2.43 left in the game. Stetson Bennett has the opportunity to break Ohio State hearts and keep alive Georgia's hopes of a repeat.

Bennett does it but there's 55 seconds left. Buckeyes need a field goal to win it.

Two insane semi-finals.

Buckeyes have for into field goal range with 24 seconds left.

Noah Ruggles misses from 50 yards at midnight in Atlanta and Georgia win by one point 42-41.

Just catching up on the second game this morning. CJ Stroud with an awesome display, under a lot of pressure at times and came up with big plays time and time again.

Gotta have some sympathy for the kicker at the end, completely mishit his kick. Very poor contact but that's what pressure does. I was somewhat surprised and impressed with the Buckeyes, but Georgia still got it done in the end!

It all comes down to this. I really hope the Horned Frogs do it. Go TCU!!!

• Advertisement

Very sad, it's going to be a thumping. Georgia up 24-7 and have the ball again and it doesn't look like they are going to slow down at any stage.

I feel so bad for TCU, it's embarrassing at this stage and Georgia won't stop.

Currently 65-7 and I hope at this stage that Georgia will finally show a bit of class and play soft zone on defense and run clock on offense.

Brutal result.

Didn't wait up for it, but horrible, ruthless, relentless stuff from Georgia. They are the outstanding team for the last probably 3 years, so deserving winners overall. After only watching the highlights, but would any other team have done any better last night? Hard to tell, TCU there on merit I guess. Maybe another similar style team like Alabama might have stood up better but who knows.

Kirby Smart building his own legacy with the Bulldogs

Stetson Bennett has been a huge part of all this. His story is wonderful and it'll be a movie some say. It's very hard to gauge just how much he influenced all of this.

I'm not sure how he'll do in the NFL but if attitude, self-belief, drive and determination were the qualities required he'd be the best of the best.

The biggest issue is his height, he's only 5'11".

It's a brilliant story alright, certainly triumph over adversary and a great advertisement for perseverance. I knew he had dropped down to a junior college at one point, but I didn't realise he played in Ellisvillle MS for that year - I'd know that area because I lived in the next town over for a while, and to describe it as a backwater would be an understatement! A real, real small town in a poor part of Mississippi, and not a football hotbed by any means.

Credit to the lad, and he's been very good all year and particularly last night, but I wonder how much is it him and his talent and how much is it the Georgia system and the players around him, particularly the O Line and McConkey.

While his drive, application and attitude deserve great credit, and what he has already achieved deserves great credit in itself, I have my doubts if he has enough talent to bring him a successful NFL career. As I say, that's not to denegrade him or what he has done, but success at NFL level is different gravy.

Success or failure at NFL level shouldn't take from his college career though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With the ESPN Player gone now is TNT sports our only chance to catch college football over these parts these days?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ESPN have also broken ties with TNT Sports.

if lucky, TNT will still show the SEC on CBS, but that’s not clear at this point either.

Sky will show Notre Dame’s home games, including the fixture v Navy at the Aviva.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Grim. Shame there is no streaming platform or a tv station picking up college football game often better watch than NFL games. More freedom to the plays.

Well from what I'm reading TNT still have the contract for NCAA football. Apparently they also have the contract for USFL moving forward.

Confirmed now no college football for ESPN games.

How many ESPN games were on Saturdays on the old BT Sports ?

I can't remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement