Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College football season 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

28 - 3 to the Bulldogs after 20 odd minutes... 😒

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

49-3 now, Looking like a huge blowout. I know there’s been a lot of opt outs for FSU but kinda vindicates the Committee as far as leaving out the Seminoles is concerned. (Perhaps Georgia, #1 until championship weekend are the ones who should have been kicking up the fuss…)

By the way the coverage of the Arizona Bowl is free to stream (not geoblocked) at barstool.tv, not going to promise you the most professionally produced sports presentation ever but it’s a bit more competitive than UGA v FSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They were done when Jordan Travis got injured and it was unsurprisingly shown tonight.

That's right, it properly burst their bubble, but IMHO they were overrated anyway. UGA would have beaten them anyway, indeed they would possibly (probably?) beat any of the top 4 teams if they were to meet them this weekend.

It's all moot of course, but a really disappointing Bowl season so far.

• Advertisement

So today's the day we see who makes the Championship game.

I'll go for Bama and the Huskies.

This is the best Alabama story I can remember, it's a team that weren't good enough at the start of the season but improved as the season wore on.

I'm a big believer in Penix, he's as clutch as they com. I think he'll get them over the line again.

As an aside, I've often said here that the Rose Bowl is my no.1 bowl, it's bigger than the National Championship for me. If I was a coach I'd want to win it more than anything else.

I don't like it being a semi-final, it's too big of a game on its own to be demeaned like this.

It will be a quarter final next year and the year after under the new 12 team system. And it will be played a week later in years that it is a semi final (the college football season will run well into January in the future).

The problem with decoupling it (which just won’t happen, the organisers are bought into the CFP system) is that the quality of the game would drop, the top twelve teams will be in the CFP so your talking 13v14 at best.

For me, unfortunately the issue with it (and the CFP generally) is that it’s a bit too late on the eve of a workday to sit down to watch the whole thing, it’ll be the first half at most. I get it’s in California (GMT -8) and that’s about as early as it can go.

Michigan took out Bama in overtime. Bama had the lead and gave up a late touchdown in regular time. They had some time left to get down the field and possibly get a field goal to win it but they didn't get it. They punted it to the Michigan one yard line and McCarthy did a good job to prevent a safety.

Michigan got the ball first in overtime and scored a touchdown. They then blew up a run play to make it third and goal at the 14. Bama got it to the three yard line and on fourth and goal decided to run Milroe up the middle and he got nowhere. I thought that last play was very odd. If you are going to use Milroe you put him outside, off tackle at worst. He's great in space.

Washington v Texas all tied up at 14 in the middle of the second quarter. Washington successful through the air and not so much on the ground, exact opposite of Texas.

You're a warrior man, gave up at HT in the first game, could see it being tight and an early start and all, so looking at highlights now.

Penix is something else. I never thought I'd say there's a better QB in this draft than Caleb Williams but I believe he is.

I don't think he's rated top three which blows my mind. Last night he had over 400 yards with a 76% completion rate. He threw 35 TDs and 9 ints in the regular season and the bigger the game the better he played.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Advertisement

Finally watched the second half of the first game yesterday. Could have went either way obviously. I thought at HT Michigan would pull away, given how easily they were collecting yards and how often they were hitting Milroe. That changed though, and a very tight finish - thought Milroe would have been able to pick up a blocker for that last play but Michigan saw him coming and dealt with it.

A question - the snaps for Alabama have been all over the place over recent games. Is that not something that can be corrected and made right, especially given the long break before this game? It did cost Alabama, several times milroe had to stoop or correct to collect the snap, same in the SEC and Iron Bowl games. Seems a straightforward technique to get right, but maybe there is more than meets the eye.

Penix is a huge talent. I've only seen the Huskies on highlight reels really, so I can't really assess what I think of them, but he's a brilliant talent. They are underdogs for the final, but you couldn't rule them out.

A heads up that there’s a couple of highlights slot of the National Championship in the schedule on Sky Sports NFL later in the day Tuesday. Unfortunately they’re not giving us the customary full replay on Tuesday evening that BT used to.

There's a site that shows the full games afterwards. You can cast it to your TV.

I'm not sure how quick they have it up but I watched NFL games the next morning a few years back.

Post edited by adrian522 on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mod: please dont share illegal streams on the site.

Michigan got off to a great start, good drive finished off with a 51 yard run by Donovan Edwards.

Washington have a great drive going get down to goal to go but can't get in. 7-3 Wolverines.

Under four minutes left in the first, time is flying by.

Edwards on fire, goes for 46 this time for another touchdown. 14-3 Wolverines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

This might get out of hand fast. Washington need a big play (or a stop at least) from Defence or special teams

This reminds me of watching Broncos Super bowls in the eighties....a sinking feeling.

• Advertisement

Well thats a small win for Washington. 180 rushing yards in a little over a quarter!

Hopefully Washington can make it competitive.

a terrible throw from Penix, should have been a TD, instead a turnover on downs.....

Well at least it has stayed competitive, Washingtom eeked their way back into it, without ever looking comfortable. Keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Penix does not look like an NFL-caliber QB. Doesn't seem very mobile, not very accurate, looks panicky, a lot of his passes seem to float. I hope Denver are not tempted if he is there at #12.

A great defensive battle for two quarters but Penix got hurt early in the second half and wasn't himself after that.

Michigan had the run **** down in them until McCarthy took off for a few big runs and it opened up everything for him.

Wolverines have been fantastic all season and are deserved champions.

Feel bad for Penix after all he's battled through in his college career. It might have been a different game if he hadn't got hurt.

Were you taking into account the pain he was in for most of the second half?

Nope, but he exhibited all those same behaviors in the first half as well, granted playing against a #1 team, but just giving my opinion on what he put on the field tonight.

He was top notch on the first drive of the game getting them down to goal to go, he had one incomplete pass when they got there.

Next drive he had one completed pass, and a run for five yards. He did nothing wrong there either. It was a great play to stop McMillan from getting the first down.

He had two incomplete passes on the next drive, one of which was a drop, on the next drive where they went for it on fourth down in the Michigan half and turned it over on downs.

Next drive he got sacked on a Michigan blitz for a loss of 12 yards. He had a completion for 15 yards and an incomplete pass on that drive.

He had four completions and two incomplete on the touchdown drive. He went in with 160 yards, 13/18 passes for 154 yards and a TD pass. Nothing wrong with those numbers.

First play of the second half he gets stepped on by his own lineman and his ankle was bad. A few plays later he got hit what looked like under the rib cage. He was bent over in pain a lot after most throws in the second half.

He's a lot better than what we seen last night. He got no help from his running game either.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭El Vino

Not sure the stats are a fair reflection of how poor he was last night, a couple of times he had wide open receivers down field but completed a shorter pass which would have counted towards his stats. Injury may explain his performance as he was the star of the previous game and all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭FantasyFool

Penix didnt pass the eye test last night if you ask me.

The fourth down they went for was a pivotal moment and he totally missed a wide open receiver who likely would have scored.

Even a lot of the screen pass completions he had where passed behind the receiver- you wont get away with that in the NFL.

Have really enjoyed watching him this year but last night he had a stinker.

Advertisement