Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE Radio 1 LW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,495 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My radio is still hearing it the same. And it is strong on all the Irish SDR's and plenty in GB.

I can null it down from S9 + 60 to +20. When Algeria was there, it would swamp the nulled RTE signal. Even though I am only about 50 miles away from the Summerhill transmitter. When I peak the RTE signal it puts out a + 20 harmonic on 504 kHz. I think the diaspora will have worked out how to get the best signal.

Algeria is reported as back on LW, but on 153 kHz. Very strong signal from Romania on 153, so no sign of Algeria with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Algeria Radio Chane3 is back on 252 again with its usual power of 1500kw and 750kw night time, so it just means its back to interference for the few people in Britain who try to listen. It may have been off air for refurbishment, also Chane1 is on 153kHz at a whopping 2000kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

More "essential engineering work" -- 252khz off again from 9am until 5pm today 22nd November.

They are looking after it well anyway, its just a matter of time when RTE will try to shut it down permanently again, its going on nearly 10 years now.

2rn - Summerhill, Co. Meath. Complete outage due to essential engineering work will affect the RTÉ Radio One longwave service between 09:00 and 17:00 on Wednesday 30th November 2022.

As well as being a good time of year to hear Algeria during these hours, it will also give a better chance to hear Denmark on 243. da = Danish.

DNK DR Langbølge 0445-0505 da, 0700-0805 da, 1045-1115 da, 1645-1715 da Kalundborg/Radiovej * 50 100mW carrier 24h

• Advertisement

You can listen better on the internet, I'm sure the new elderly in Britain have a better chance of using new technology now, I'm almost an elderly man myself and know all the ins and outs of receiving radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Spotted a letter in last Sunday's Sunday Independent. The writer from Nottingham England, lamented the discontinuation of a print version of the paper for readers in Britain and saying reading online is not the same. He remarked that they still at least have RTE R1 on LW, though he knew there was no guarantee of continued availability of it

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

RTL from Luxembourg is finishing up on 234 LW in just over 24 hours time...

Think it's been put back a day -

https://mediumwave.info/2022/12/

I'm just wondering how long more will RTE 252 continue? I feel RTE and BBC (LW) could shut shut down roughly the same time, mid 20s or end of the decade.

• Advertisement

From RTE AERTEL -- "Due to an ESB fault our Summerhill transmitter is currently off the air affecting Radio 1 LW 252"

Is pope Benedict's funeral been carried on lw ?

With the suddenness of yesterday's announcement of the closure of 1215AM in just 3 weeks time, I reckon 198lw will also face and quick sudden shutdown within 24 months and this will leave RTE in a very unique situation of been the only English speaking longwave station in the world and for political reasons it will continue long after the death of 198lw.

My money is on Poland (225) being the last man standing purely for geo-political reasons.

Don't know if things are till the same but as recently as 2017, 30% of listeners to Polskie Radio Program 1 were listening via Longwave

I do know that (a couple of years back) that the parliament coverage is broadcast on LW but not on FM, maybe that has changed now.

Also, Polski Radio 1 is broadcasting content aimed at Ukraine & Belarus via the LW transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Searched and can't find anything about 1215kHz closing, but it's a commercial station so has nothing to do with the BBC on 198 (it was a BBC frequency decades ago)

Still various 'industrial' applications for 198 e.g. switching night rate meters and the smart meter rollout is several years behind schedule.

Life ain't always empty.

RTE Radio1 252 LW is dying a slow death, RTE are occasionally dropping the power output, can anybody hear it now? Chaine 3 is coming in quiet strong at times, UK listeners haven't a hope in understanding what's been broadcasted.

RTE is dying a slow death

Life ain't always empty.

You would have to be in the UK to know that. As I posted a year ago, it is coming in strong on SDR's in the UK, so there is no reason to think it would not be the same on any receiver local to those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

RTE Aertel p.169 advising of yet more maintenance on 252LW scheduled for the daytime of Tuesday 10 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The only thing I'd say there is that those who host SDRs are more likely to have the correct aerials for their equipment. I doubt an average LW radio with a ferrite core aerial would work that well.

On page 52 of this thread clear reception was reported on a car radio in England. If people are saying that Algeria can swamp RTE in Ireland, why could the RTE signal not be strong in England? I can null RTE from S9+60 down to +20, and make Algeria dominant on the channel at night. Ony about 50 miles away from Summerhill. I think those who want to listen would at least know how to move their radio around for best reception.

"When we were in Wales a few Summers ago we had LW 252 on in the car a lot and it was rock solid anywhere we were all the way up past Birmingham despite the lower power it was like listening in Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

It is of course impossible to do this with an omnidirectional aerial for a vehicle, sea vessel etc., outside of homes is where most LW use would be.

Also nulling is little or no use in other locations where the two are nearer 180 degrees apart than 90 degrees apart. You might null out the unwanted (Algeria), yet the wanted signal ends up being significantly degraded in strength and more prone to distortion/other interference. This is the case in southern areas of Ireland

Algeria/skywave will have least impact during long summer days as per the reception quoted.

Post edited by Antenna on

Only RTE could manage to share a frequency in a practically empty band with practically the only really strong LW transmitter left in the world!

(yes I know RTE don't just pick and choose a freq but have they ever requested a change?)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

RTE Radio 1 on LW, 252 kHz seems down again today. Algeria is loud and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

maintenance on 252LW scheduled for the daytime of Tuesday 10 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for that. However they've had downtime a bit often lately. What's the reason for this repeated maintenance work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It's either the shiniest transmitter in the world or the most unreliable. Considering it runs at fraction of it's rated power, it can't be because it is abused. Personally I think it's kite flying. As in "turn it off and see who screams"

The last outage was an ESB issue but it seems 2RN don't believe in backup generators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

It wouldn't specifically be RTÉ that would formally request a frequency change here, it would be the relevant government department making such a request to the ITU, presumably Comreg.

As to 252 kHz undergoing semi-regular bouts of "essential maintenance", there's two theories in my mind concerning this.

(1) Deliberate " planned obsolescence" into making listeners move to other platforms to continue listening whilst trying their best to accommodate various political pressures, especially those that demand the 252 kHz service to be retain at all costs.

(2) Genuine maintenance needs. While there are some quips concerning as to how well maintained the current transmitter must be by now, It's always possible that either the transmitter in question has actually developed a certain fault that whilst not critical could prove costly to fully fix and 2RN don't feel it's a priority given the unknown length of how long left the service will run, or that there is a fault somewhere along the chain at the transmitter site that requires semi-regular attention - while the TX is around 15 years old other elements have been there since the late 1980's and may be showing signs of fatigue e.g. radiating mast, feeders.

And of course, it could be a combination of both of the above.

Final point - when it comes to a potential frequency change aside from any formal request to the ITU, it would require physical changes at the TX site. Despite what some may think, the mast itself wouldn't necessarily need to be extended or decapitated, but the tuning to match the radiating mast would certainly require modifying to match the new frequency in question, which I'm reliably told that for a high-powered site like Clarkstown isn't a trivial matter (though less complex that it used to be).

Outside of Ireland, it is possible looking at the link below that the suggested shutdown of 198 kHz broadcasting BBC Radio 4 has been given at least a further one year stay of execution (the LW TXs for the service are supposedly having their costs covered by the UK electrical companies), though it leaves the fate of the MW fillers uncertain...

When is the RTS being shut down?

The Radio Teleswitch Service is to be shut down on the 31st of March 2024.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energywise/RTS-planned-shutdown

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement