Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE Radio 1 LW

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What is the reasoning for waiting longer? Did they say it might go back on air in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PatrickHam

No , it would just make sense to hold on the the site, it would not cost anything to do this , the Mast maintenance was done two years ago. We now have no back-up or emergency broadcast system

The answer is in how quick they made decision. To me it seems they wanted to destroy it before someone else was interested

Also the fact it was never mentioned in a tender for demolition only Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Post the text of that email if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

RTE said that there were no plans to demolish the mast? If RTE said that, then it must be true </sarcasm>

On the plus side, at least we have Channel 3 from Algeria with no interference. Their late-night music programming includes a lot of music that would have been heard on Atlantic back in the day. Since it came back online after a recent outage lasting more than a week, the power has been absolutely off the richter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Looks like the 'no plans' announcement was perhaps to hoodwink the likes of Enda O'Kane etc.

If RTE had said it was to be demolished this summer, they may have organized a campaign in opposition, with some sympathetic politicians etc

'When its gone, its gone'.

Its akin to a moth-balled closed railway line, not just having all the track being pulled up, but also the railway bridges being demolished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I assume there's a not insignificant maintenance cost to keeping a huge lattice mast intact. So, it probably does make sense to get rid of it if there really is no prospect of it ever being used again, which to be realistic, there isn't.

A railway line being kept in place or at least keeping the route available is a different scenario. We had some rather stupidly shortsighted sale of bits of land over former railways and blocking of routes that are now being considered for reopening. They are also really huge pieces of infrastructure - hundreds of km of routes.

If some new technology that requires huge tower masts like that comes along in the future, it's not really that big a deal to construct a single structure. However, the technology's just completely obsolete and the audience clearly disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No.

No it wasn't.

At least the nonsense is put to bed once and for all now.

Life ain't always empty.

Oh, I looked him up, his letters in the Examiner were nuts.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I'm sure the site will be totally cleared and turned into a green field site again, like if it was never there, surly they'll pull up the three concrete stays, can't leave them sticking out of the ground.

The entire site is layed with copper under ground, RTE will make a good few bob with all the scrap metal, insulates, guy wires and whatever else. I wonder if the transmitter is removed.

I'm sure by now the 252 mast is removed and everything else, some heap of metal between the two sites.

How they knocked the transmitter mast down: Video here,

Https:/www.linkedin.com/posts/2rnclarkstown-transmitter-on-the-27th-july-2023-activity-7092867491017678848-bki

Post edited by Mickey Mike on

Press on the link and go to bing search. I'm not the best when it comes to technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bagonua

If you look carefully, you can see the crew ready to load the pieces up on a lorry to store them in a warehouse until LW 252 is needed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anyone else seeing that there should be a new message here, but it's not visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yup and it wont go away

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Looks like it's another glitch in this fabulous Vanilla platform. It's been highlighted earlier in the Feedback forum.

• Advertisement

Probably a spam/troll post which was deleted.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Oh you mean like this little beauty that's been there for the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not sure if that's the issue or not. I seen a couple of people posting earlier about threads showing as having unread posts when in fact there are none.

I think I might know what the problem is but I'll have to check it out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Showing up for me as a "1 new" marker supposedly posted by someone called William Wilson.

Given that RTÉ Radio 1 is now no longer on 252 kHz, and is as good as certain will never return to broadcasting on this frequency or any other in the long wave band, given the demolition of the Summerhill & Tullamore masts, maybe @icdg it's time to lock this thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I tend to agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement