Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE Radio 1 LW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your radios should still be full of stations from Spain on medium wave for a few years. This is a post today in a discussion about La Coruna using 10 kHz bandwidth.

10khz bandwidth is very common in Asia and Australia/NZ. Most of the stations there are running it.

There's nothing to stop RNE running 10khz bandwidth and Spain needs AM long term to cover rural areas. Many of these RNE transmitters aren't even properly licensed, it's historic from when pre 1976 democracy Spain was denied any decent AM frequencies in the conferences and it has continued from there. When I was in La Coruña not so long back a lot of vehicles are listening to AM, it's a problem around that part of Spain with FM coverage for some reason and the same exists in Vigo, every radio I saw was on AM. When you drive along vast stretches of motorway in rural areas, AM is all you can get, no FM or cellular coverage.

UK broadcasters have been asking for 9khz bandwidth for some time and Ofcom don't seem to want to have the conversation. Some of the community and independent commercial stations are now talking about just doing it regardless and blaming "faulty kit" if they get caught, I know some stations have already tried it on the past, such as Bradford Asian Radio. Maybe in the next few months you might start to see 9khz on a few stations who are going "semi pirate" in the UK.

With how empty the band is now I can't see any reason why not. Unless of course there is the intention to make AM sound worse than it needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

In Spain, RNE are planning to keep on with MW distribution at least for the time being for Radio Nacoinal & Radio 5. However the commercial broadcasters are essentially letting it run its general course, a few COPE & SER MW transmitters haven't been replaced when faulty.

It also doesn't help that there appears to be no effective centralised broadcasting licence authority in the country, in some cases "licences" have been given out to stations by the local town hall. Italy isn't any better either, though they've pretty much abandoned MW bar a few low powered hobbyist or enthusiast stations with DAB+ getting interest in some places.

As for the bandwidth argument, the Ofcom standards limit the audio sidebands of an AM transmission in the UK to drastically drop off by 6.3 kHz. Funnily enough Manx Radio, not being subject to Ofcom rules, operate their 1368 kHz transmitter with a wider audio bandwith, it's at least 8kHz IIRC. BBC Radio 5 Live is definitely running at least 6 kHz audio bandwidth, while TalkSport are limiting theirs to 5 kHz. In my experience you only get to "see" the wider bandwidth if you get a sufficiently strong signal. The soon-to-be-deceased 252 transmissions of RTÉ Radio have a 6 kHz audio bandwidth.

While I have seen some talk on the likes of Digital Spy about "campaigns" to allow an increase in audio bandwidths for MW broadcast stations in the UK, to me it's very much "What's the point?" Pretty much nearly every boombox, portable, in-car or hi-fi system radio sold in the last 40 years or so (with some odd exceptions**) has very limited audio frequency response on MW (& LW where available) and are absolute rubbish for decent music reproduction. The average Joe or Jane that might still be listening to a station on MW for whatever reason isn't fussed about AM audio bandwidth, accepting its limits as coming with the band. The only people whom might notice would be DXers & other assorted radio anoraks whom might have equipment that can take advantage of the wider audio bandwidth. Everyone else has moved on to FM, DAB or internet streaming. Also, bigger bandwidths require more energy, thus requiring more electric.

It's time to stop pretending that in most of the world the AM broadcast bands are not either dead or are not on life support with a "do not resuscitate" tag on it. It's the same by proponents of AM Stereo that still think it's a relevant technology to bring to the European airwaves in 2023. Time to let it go.

** Odd exceptions include more recent portable radios that have DSP chips where multiple bandwidths are offered, as well as some radios that were intended to non-European markets where large 9-10 kHz audio bandwidth transmissions were/are more common - the North American "AMAX" standard being one such example. Indeed, if a station is broadcasting with at least a 6 kHz audio bandwidth and you receive it with a strong enough signal, there is a definite difference in the audio quality between 4 kHz & 6 kHz even on speech stations. But it just ain't a killer feature for 2023 for more than 99% of people in Ireland or the UK.

The electricity bill for 252 going up to 400k this year doesn't actually look particularly big to me considering that the 2006 electricity bill for running the old Atlantic rigs at 300kw was 1.1 million. Imagine what they'd be costing now at today's electricity prices 😳

Has anyone else noticed that RTE always close radio networks around Easter time? 2fm MW, R1 MW and DAB all closed over the Easter holidays too

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

RTE could yet change their mind and keep it going until 2030! what do you think 🤔

• Advertisement

Stranger things have happened... as has already been mentioned, it doesn't look like the print media are going to get behind the save 252 this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If FM listenership dropped to a couple of hundred people and that there were several very accessible and far superior quality services, then yes FM should be turned off.

It's called moving with the times.

Last time RTE wanted to close it, the Catholic bishops aslo came out against the closure, they have been completely silent this time, Presumably because of the explosion of people steaming Mass since 2020 https://www.catholicireland.net/call-rte-overturn-lw-transmitter-shutdown/

I'd put it down to the start of the new financial/tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Hasn't that being moved to the same as the ordinary year in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of older companies still use either that or a July to June financial year. I have no idea what RTE use!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTÉ's financial year is Jan - Dec.

RTE Radio One Long Wave 252 is closing down at 9:00 am in the morning 14/04/23

As I understand it, the whole save 252 campaigns argument for the past decade was that elderly Irish people who moved to the UK in the pre Lemass era are now poor/ill/lonely and their only comfort to remind them of home is listening to RTE on LW. I do find it interesting that previously the print media and Irish charities in the UK supported this campaign but this time they seemed rather fed up with the whole poor/I'll/lonely LW listener argument

As I understand it, the whole save 252 campaigns argument for the past decade was that elderly Irish people who moved to the UK in the pre Lemass era are now poor/ill/lonely and their only comfort to remind them of home is listening to RTE on LW. I do find it interesting that previously the print media and Irish charities in the UK supported this campaign but this time they seemed rather fed up with the whole poor/ill/lonely LW listener argument

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Things have moved on a lot, even in less than 10 years. We are talking about a pretty small category of people in the UK - the elderly Irish diaspora. A lot of elderly people are now using smartphones and with assistance, if required, can access radio, not to mention the various tv platforms available. Of course, if they are in Ireland, there is always FM.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Add to that, if we are talking about those who left in the 50's - 60's to find work, they would be a good age now. How many would still be knocking around? 🤔

I'm quite surprised they are closing it so early in the morning, I wonder if they will be any tribute to 252 LW? After its ending, LW will be on a loop saying "Radio One no longer broadcast on LW" and to use other alternatives.

Did you email 2rn for the information about closing time and loop?

No, I heard the time of closure on LW just before 9am, and usually they carry a loop for a time after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I heard it just before 9 am, and again just before 2 pm. It might be one every hour?

So once 252 kHz from Clarkestown bites the dust very soon, this is the list of the remaining LW broadcast transmitters still running to the best of my knowledge...

153 kHz

* Romania - Antenna Satelor, Brasov, 200kW

* Algeria - Chaine 1, Kenadsa, 2000kW (max)

(Algeria seem to have been recently back on, but seems intermittent and maybe not at full power)

162 kHz

* France - TDF Time Signal, Allouis, 1100kW

(No audio programming on this frequency)

164 kHz

* Mongolia - Radio 1, Ulaanbaatar, 250kW

(ERP maximum 500kW)

171 kHz

* Morocco - Medi 1, Nador, 1600kW

(Reported to be on reduced power. Station no longer advertises this frequency on their website, so how long does this outlet have left?)

189 kHz

* Iceland - RUV Ras 1 & 2, Hellissandur, 100kW

(On reduced power from 300kW max - due to close next year)

198 kHz

* UK - BBC Radio 4, Droitwich, 400kW

* UK - BBC Radio 4, Westerglen, 50kW

* UK - BBC Radio 4, Burghead, 50kW

* UK - BBC Radio 4, Dartford Tunnel, 4W

* Algeria - Chaine 1, Berkaoui, 2000kW

(Algerian output reported as inactive)

207 kHz

* Morocco - SNRT Al-Watania, Azlial Demnate, 400kW

* Italy - AM Italia, Villa Estense, 1kW

(Morocco outlet reported inactive, future uncertain. Italian outlet is for brokered programming & currently not in use)

209 kHz

* Mongolia - Radio 1, Dalanzadgad, 40kW

* Mongolia - Radio 1, Ulgil, 40kW

* Mongolia - Radio 1, Choibalsan, 40kW

(All three stations on reduced power from nominal max of 75kW)

225 kHz

* Poland - Radio Jedynka (Radio 1), Solec Kujawski, 1000kW day 700kW night

227 kHz

* Mongolia - Radio 1, Altay, 40kW

(Above on reduced power from nominal max of 75 kW)

243 kHz

* Denmark - DR Langbolge, Kalundborg, 50kW

(Part time only, ERP 0.1W when not broadcasting)

252 kHz

* Algeria - Chaine 3, Tipaza, 1500kW day, 750kW night

279 kHz

* Turkmenistan - Radio Watan, Ashgabat, ERP?

(Not known if this is still in service, last reports suggest that transmission was faulty with low modulation)

Post edited by TAFKAlawhec on

I wonder who many Danish people are really dependent on the 243 service?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

I'd be very surprised if the Danish transmitter on 243 is considered an essential service anymore.

The Algerian 198 mast appears to be still standing according to Google Earth (desktop version).

The Moroccan transmitter (state broadcaster, not Medi 1) has been off the air since 2017 or thereabouts. Apparently a replacement rig was planned but so far has not materialized. Does anyone have the co-ordinates for the transmitter site?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

There is a very interesting video feed of an old Pye Radio on the Ulstermux website

https://ulstermux.co.uk/the-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thanks for posting that! Great idea!

However I don't entirely agree with the statement that "after this our old radio will be virtually of no use" - there are other stations on medium & shortwave that they'll be able to listen to for a while yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 letovo3275

Couldn't people just put an old android phone into a plastic radio case and pretend they're listening to LW 252.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Broke into Morning Ireland just before the final ad break to say it's closing at 0900 - Tubridy is still going on LW... did they mean 0900GMT?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Clearly nobody else is listening anyway 😛

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Still going at 10:15 although I reckon there's probably more anoraks (all 3 of us 😀) than regular listeners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement