Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Gonna go against the consensus (on this thread anyway) and say I loved Glass Onion. A witty, sharp script, excellent ensemble performance and perfect pacing; just a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Also enjoyed Knives Out (but had it spoiled).

Sandman was a very watchable show if nothing too special for anyone who hadn’t caught it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I had posted a warning this afternoon about the way Netflix have inadvertently/mistakenly made room for spoiling the order of shows - as in the very last one that should be watched - in the dedicated thread for it, and only just now thought it should probably be posted here as well:

"WARNING !!!!

I'd assumed that the randomised viewing means that there is no way to jump from one randomised choice straight to episode 8 - the first 7 are randomised for every account, with the last always as episode 8 i.e. that you couldn't jump straight to 8. The episodes aren't numbered - they're coloured. My first episode was Orange. BUT, after you watch the first episode, it does the standard menu of "Episodes and more", and you can choose any episode you want. DO NOT CHOOSE WHITE. This is the heist itself. Leave that until last. Best leave Netflix to do the randomising, which leaves White (8) til last."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Started watching the serpent earlier. Couple of episodes in. Based on a serial killer in Thailand in the 70s targeting young tourists. Really liking it so far. The way the episodes are put together while initially a bit confusing have me hooked and tell the story very well. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Spoiler alert,I don't know how to cover it up will be vague, something in the news about it lately

I think I saw that. At the very beginning of the first episode there was a scene which I think is actual footage of the guy an interviewer asked him did he ever murder anyone to which he replied.’the courts found me not guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,099 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I actually had Glass Onion spoilt, but I'm pretty sure I would have reaslied what was going on anyway. I enjoyed the movie, but ending was pretty obious and disappointing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Lately as in the last couple of weeks news there was an update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just watched The Gentlemen with Matthew McConaughey and Hugh Grant ( among others). I enjoyed it. Pretty standard Guy Richie fare, so if you enjoyed Lock Stock... and Snatch you should enjoy this. High Grant is very good in it. Good turn from Colin Farrell too. As usual with Richie the main characters are a bit too cool and clever to be true, but it’s still highly watchable.

I think it’s right up there as one of his best. Great casting. Loved Colin Farrell In it. Matthew mcconaughy just oozes cool. Hugh grant really nailed his squirmy character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Tough watch but this was very good, thanks for recommendation as probably wouldn’t have been a first choice. Very contrasting with the utter devastation across Kathmandu and the village versus Everest. Was surprised to see Leonardo Di Caprio on producer credits too.

Also watched The Volcano (another tough watch) and The Imposter which was simply crazy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah Coach Farreller in the chip shop. Steals the movie I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Watched Tara vs Bilal last night with my partner, really enjoyed it !! It’s a modern Indian romcom set in London (not your stereotypical over the top bollywood film if that’s what you’re already thinking lol). 

Very sweet heartwarming emotional film. Cast was superb I have to say. Although the storyline was fairly predictable, the story was told in a way that was fresh and really engaging, and the romance felt natural. Honestly recommend

Finally got to watching the John mcafee documentary Run with the Devil. Captivating. The guy was insane and really don’t know what was real and what was stage. The fact it was over a long period makes it actually worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Way of the Househusband season 2 (2023) (Japanese) After disappearing from the underworld, the legendary yakuza known as the "Immortal Dragon" resurfaces -- as a fiercely devoted stay-at-home husband..

Hellboy (2004) This fast-paced action flick tells the dark story of Hellboy, a charismatic demon who's put on Earth by the Nazis to terrorize the rest of the world.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

“There’s an awful smell of wee in here “ 😃

Love when he calls Hugh Grant an “eejit “ too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see 1899 is the latest cancellation at Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah FFS. Haven't even finished the first season.

I'd be delighted at this point if Amazon did end up "stealing" Wednesday off them, and they're left with nothing but dating shows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess 1899 needed more viral dance videos to obscure pop songs to have avoided cancellation?

They vomit money at hacks like the Russo's but god forbid they give a slow burn mystery thriller a chance.

• Advertisement

Cancelling Warrior Nun was the last straw for me, I cancelled my subscription after that. I wish more people would start speaking with their money at this point. Maybe they'd start making some better decisions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bah, 1899 being cancelled feels like a stupid move alright. I'm on the lowest ad-free tier (Netflix having an ad-free tier that's not at 1080p is second only to NowTV's streaming platform only providing 1080p if you use one of their stupid set-top boxes in terms of Stoopid-With-Two-Os Streaming Platform Decisions, IMO) and at the moment I am just about seeing enough stuff turning up that retaining it is worth my while (e.g. Glass Onion and Alice In Borderland S2 last month, the Junji Ito anime anthology this month), but it's getting perilously close to being punted down to "I'll pay for a month when I want to catch specific series or exclusive films".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I've gone all into the history stuff, docu-dramas etc. Knives Out did nothing for me so Glass Onion isn't high on the list, recently watching new series of Rise of empires: Ottomans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

No great loss, watched last episode last night, a pile of c**p.

Convenience (2015) Waiting for a timed safe to open, two robbers pose as overnight convenience store clerks, but a parade of late-night weirdos jeopardizes their plans..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Glass Onion. Agatha Christie on acid. Brilliant! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was a load of boll1x. Big budget style over substance. All of the characters unlikeable. The 1st film Knives Out was brilliant, Armas, Craig, the old fella, Jamie Lee Curtis and Captain America all great in that film.

Eat sh!t, eat sh!t, definitely eat sh!t 😂

Michael Shannon was top drawer also.

2nd movie was like a bad spin off of the 1st. Shame really.

MADOFF: The Monster of Wall Street (2023) Limited Series This docuseries follows the rise and fall of financier Bernie Madoff, who orchestrated one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in Wall Street history..

The Lying Life of Adults season 1 (2022) (Italian) In 1990s Naples, brash and bold Aunt Vittoria helps her sheltered niece experience a different side of the city, upsetting the teen's strict parents.

How I Became a Gangster (2020)(Polish) An ambitious gangster works his way up the ranks of Warsaw's criminal underworld, and ultimately takes his shot at the big time

Drive (2011) A Hollywood stuntman and getaway driver is lured from his isolated life by a lovely neighbor -- until her violent husband is released from prison.

The Hills (2010) 2 Seasons MTV, Everything is bigger in L.A. for a group of young women juggling their careers, relationships and all kinds of drama in this "Laguna Beach" spinoff.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

On the second season of The Missing. It's really holding my interest, absolutely great. Just a bit annoyed that all the French and German bits have no subtitles so you get lost in parts of it. Why is this?

Next up is the spin off Baptiste but if you don't understand French you're once again lost without the subtitles.

Advertisement