Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want them to recreate the princess peach beach scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

There is a lot of movie/TV money being thrown at science fiction / fantasy now by, so expect a load of video games to be milked soon.

And AAA video game and movie production is pretty much the same these days 🤣🤣🤣

It would even make sense to develop same at the same time to reuse assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Didnt a Warhammer one get announced too with Henry Cavill leading it? At least the source material will be respected.

I think the last of us might be the X-Men moment for game to movie/TV as it was for superheros. If it's a big enough critical hit then others will follow.

A Metroid movie as good as Alien/Aliens would be amazing.

'cept James Cameron is too busy making CGI snorefests these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agreed they have to keep the same cast. Can't wait for it, keep it as mad as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know you're joking but I'm not sure Hollywood producers are as coked up as they used to; there's a small argument they should be, given the heighday for Elevator Pitch blockbusters was the era when producers were subsisting on cocaine. Ain't no way the output of Golan-Globus happened sober, for instance.

Thing is, Death Stranding could work but primarily it HAS to own the weirdness: strip back as much unnecessary guff as possible but keep the strange, borderline whacky tone. Water it down into nothing and it'll fail like all the rest.

Mass Effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They've also said that the DLC for HFW will be PS5 only.

The original Subnautica received a new patch during the week. 300 bugs fixed and qol features added like pinning recipes to the screen and buildables from Below Zero. I have it a quick spin and absolutely addicted all over again.

If anyone hasn't played it, I highly recommend it and if you don't like full on survival games, play on Freedom which trees the need to eat or drink. I find the game way more enjoyable with that off as there's still tons to explore and find without worrying about food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to jump on subnautica love it, it you are scared off by the survival aspects, they're perfectly manageable and you can also tailor the survival mechanics to your needs. There's also a story so you don't have to play it like a forever game.

So is VI worth the play through as I hear it's the best one? Are these pixel remasters fill versions of the original games in just modern pixel graphics and qol updates?

So to make it short, quite a few of them have substantial changes with some QOL features. Also later additions to the games from reissues on GBA/PSP aren't there but to be honest those post game dungeons aren't that great. They're mostly based on the NES or SNES original releases and stick close. The soundtracks are absolutely incredible.

FF1: Probably the best version of this game. Grinding is a lot easier, status spells actually work. It's made a little bit easier as well.

FF2: Massive changes here. Levelling is much easier and negates grinding. It's probably the best version of this game as the original is such a pain in the hole. I just found it a bit too easy.

FF3: Absolute best version of this game. The NES game was ruined IMO by the 3D remake on DS. This brings is back to the NES version. The original is very tough nut this one makes the game a lot easier (still a tough game). The horrible bug with the flyer in the tower is fixed as well (change to dragoons!). Jobs are also now balanced to be useful for the entire game rather than being replaced when new jobs appear. Gorgeous, gorgeous soundtrack.

FF4: Based on the japanese FF4 version. It's been made way too easy unfortunately because of the increased exp gain. The soundtrack is absolutely astounding. But I'd recommend the PSP or SNES version over it because the original is a perfectly balanced.

FF5: Very close to the SNES original. One of the best FF games in terms of battle system and gameplay and one of the weakest in terms of story. Looks gorgeous and again, soundtrack is lovely. I think grinding has been made a little easier. Probably the definitive edition although the extra dungeons in the GBA version were kind of a lot of fun in this one and are missed.

FF6: Outside of the visuals and god tier soundtrack this sticks very closely to the SNES game. I'd consider this the best version of the game.

One issue on console is that the font is really ugly so you can't mod that. Also the game looks absolutely stunning with a proper CRT filter mod. It's blocky central on console. The included CRT filter is exceptionally bad.

Some interesting numbers. Now a 184 billion dollar industry.

Mobile is 50% of that. More than console and pc combined.

I'm on the 4th attempt to get through this and actually making progress this time. Just built the little seamoth and that's a game changer.

Nintendo releases more games than Microsoft and Sony combined.

Gamers: nintendo don't make enough games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

Suppose the real complaint is they don’t make enough games to make up for the lack of the big triple aaa releases for the average gamer. As in no cod, proper fifa sort of thing. At least they release quality though.

Yupp, big time. You can 'safely'explore depths now and refill your oxygen allowing you to find more rare resources that will allow you to build better equipment and depth modules but most importantly, move the story along.

I think I need to go back to Subnautica

It's the ace combat 7 of survival games

• Advertisement

I went with the survival mode this time to avoid the hunger and thirst that was a big factor in not getting far the last time. But now I've unlocked the grab trap and the grow beds it would have been manageable. But if I keep restarting I'll never finish it. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's so great with the new update. Even though I've played through multiple times, still feels fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

In the lateset news for the Activision Microsoft merger Microsoft are now stating that Sony have been locking third party games to exclusionary contracts that explicitly state the games can never be released on an Xbox console. The games stated are FF VIIR, FF XVI and Silent Hill 2. They also mentioned Bloodborne, but I don't see how that's relevant as Sony published it.

So the usual of Microsoft pointing out the hypocrisy of Sony accusing Microsoft of going to do what they're already doing.

But also pointing out that Microsoft are not in fact going to do what Sony already do.

I think Sony are borked no matter what. At the very least Microsoft and Activision are going to have a very close relationship going forward. I'd actually prefer that to Microsoft owning them outright.

Sony blocking the merger and then MS and Activision doing a perfectly legal business deal to bring their games to game pass day one. Throw in some xbox exclusive (maybe even GP exclusive) content just as a final kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

That's not how it works - Sony don't have the power to block a perfectly legal deal, quite obviously. It is a decision for the regulators and if they decide it is not legal, then by definition it wasn't a perfectly legal deal.

The FTC's position right now is that it violates US law and their case will be put before a judge. The FTC is there to protect American consumers and to stop the market being distorted by the creation of monopolies, something that is a pillar of the Biden administration. They do not exist to represent a Japanese company against an American company and that is not what they're doing.

There are similar investigations in Europe, the UK and elsewhere. Activision Blizzard stocks are currently trading at $76.50 and Microsoft's offer amounts to $95 per share so right now the market doesn't seem to think it will go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tangentially related to gaming, professional rally driver Ken Block has died after a snowmobile accident.

Other than the few gymkhana videos I've seen over the years, I recognised his name from the Dirt series. He was also in NFS 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

HITMAN 3 to become ‘World of Assassination’, H1 & 2 content will now be free for H3 owners (Individual Hitman 1 & 2 to be delisted)

"Ever expanding, ever dangerous. It will never stop challenging you."

In 2015, we shared our vision for the World of Assassination; an ever-expanding game that would evolve over time and be the foundation for future HITMAN games. Those were the exact words we used and a central promise to how we've released the three games in the 7 years that followed.

Today, we're excited to announce some upcoming changes to how our players (both existing and new) will experience, access and purchase HITMAN 1, HITMAN 2 and HITMAN 3. These changes will make it easier than ever to enter and enjoy the World of Assassination – and finally allow us to realise the vision we set out to achieve.

As of 26 January 2023, the following changes are planned to come into effect.

HITMAN 3 will become 'HITMAN World of Assassination', which will also include access to HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 through our existing Access Pass system. Current HITMAN 3 owners will get a free upgrade to HITMAN World of Assassination on all platforms

We're drastically simplifying the purchase experience for new players. HITMAN World of Assassination will be the single available option to start playing.

Essentially, these two changes will mean that all new players and existing HITMAN 3 owners will have the same base content ownership. There will be no more confusion over which edition to buy, what content you own, how to redeem Legacy packs or import locations, etc. We're done with that.

We're approaching these changes with a no compromises approach. We want to make absolutely sure that the experience of entering or enjoying the World of Assassination is simple and straightforward.

Let's break it down. We're streamlining the (many) offerings currently on the stores down to two products. These will replace existing ways to buy HITMAN 1, HITMAN 2 or HITMAN 3.

HITMAN – World of Assassination (approx. $70 USD or local equivalent)

Includes: HITMAN 3, plus H1 GOTY Access Pass and H2 Standard Access Pass.

HITMAN – World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (approx. $30 USD or local equivalent)

Includes: H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass.

PLAYER-FRIENDLY FLEXIBILITY

We want the experience for new players to be straightforward and concrete. We believe the above changes will achieve that. However, for existing players, who cover a huge matrix of different ownership combinations, we're being a little bit more flexible – but still with a strong approach for simplicity.

The reason for this flexibility is that we know many of you own certain games or DLCs but not others, and we don't want to force anyone to (re)buy what they already own. We think that's a good enough reason to still have a few options – but these options won't be front and centre for new players. The idea is to keep these details visible to those who might need them.

STEAM COMPLETE THE SET

On Steam, we are going to implement 'complete the set' functionality for the three DLC packs included in the HITMAN World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass). This will mean you only pay an even split for whatever content you don't own. For example, if you own 2 of the DLCs, you'll only pay $10 for the remaining DLC, rather than having to pay full price for the full Deluxe Pack.

IN-GAME STORE

On other platforms, we've added each individual DLC from the new WoA Deluxe Pack (H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass) to the IN-GAME store, again priced with an even split ($10 USD each). If you own some (but not all) of that content, you'll be able to buy whatever you're missing – at a new and reduced price.

STOREFRONT CHANGES

An important detail that we want to be clear about amongst these changes, is that we're removing the standalone HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 products from sale on all platforms. If you already own these games, you'll still be able to access them in the exact same way that you do today. Of course, the majority of the content included in these games remains playable through HITMAN World of Assassination, with all of the improvements that were introduced with HITMAN 3.

On that note, and for extra clarity, HITMAN 3 will remain available in its current standalone form through the upcoming 'HITMAN – World of Assassination'.

3DS hidden gem Pocket Card Jockey is coming to Apple Arcade. It's legit incredible. Hope it makes it to other platforms:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wonder how may 'lost on the 3ds eShop' titles are going make their way to other platforms in the next few months.

Advertisement