Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I think it is worth the price. I was surprised when I played the first game a couple of months ago as it really holds up, it's really an all time great. TR2 isn't as good but still fun enough. TR3 is just mean but I'm still playing it even if it feels really rushed.

The remaster is fantastic. They can't do much about the level geometry but the new texture and model work is fantastic. I'd stick with classic controls, modern controls just don't feel good at all.

I bought it just to play TR3 but if you want it for TR1 and 2 you'll get your money's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here's an early first look at DBD spin-off, Project T.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Poland has launched an investigation into digital game stores for anti-competitive practices. They specifically mention Playstation Store and Steam, but also say that they have looked at three "entrepreneurs".

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/polish-regulators-to-investigate-ps-store-and-steam-for-anti-competitive-practices

Not sure if anyone else was following the ABK purchase by MS, but the trial over in the states sure threw up some serious concerns about Sonys behaviour, so I'm unsurprised at this news. Good chance MS are being investigated as well, I assume anyway.

Another F2P third person actioner has been cancelled by a big studio (following on from the announcement that Remedy were scrapping the Control spin-off yoke).

Heartland never made sense to me anyway, given that they were already also working on the full-blown Division 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,908 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah i was looking forward to heartland as I'm a big fan of The Division but then i remembered The Division 3 is in development so heartland is pretty pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,908 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is over game i really really hope xbox decide to release on playstation as well. So far, only slatted for xbox and pc.

This has surprise hit that didn't make enough money written all over it. I.e. looks like it's going to be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bizarre stuff: Zelnick denying Take Two is closing Roll7 and Intercept Games, despite a bunch of documentation indicating they are closing Roll7 and Intercept Games.

https://www.ign.com/articles/take-two-ceo-on-intercept-roll7-we-didnt-shutter-those-studios

Just about to post that. Bizarre indeed, but not dissimilar to previous behaviour from them;

Meanwhile, there's a new Activision studio afoot, surely to work on Call of D… WTF? A brand new franchise? You okay Activision?

Seriously though, the timing of an announcement like this when MS announced lay-offs at four other studios last week is tone deaf at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Have they shut the other studios and rehired all the best guys in this new studio?

• Advertisement

Whatever they are working on we can now say with absolute certainty it will be a GaaS MT laden pocket money hoarding cash cow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Microsoft reportedly indeed playing their Game Pass trump card and putting Call of Duty on there, Wall Street Journal reports:

https://www.wsj.com/tech/microsoft-call-of-duty-game-pass-53e8930c?st=mpus38wrzmiye0r

Bold move. I don't mean to be overly dramatic but I really do think the service would be unviable if they don't.

Also, They've really got to deal with their leak problem 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can foresee a Gamepass edition of CoD, something close to the paid release but maybe missing a thing or two, maybe like Zombies being a paid DLC at a discount for GP members. I can't see them giving the campaign, zombies and MP "free".

Also, maybe the leak is deliberate to gauge feedback, see how the news is taken, and change the plan accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,306 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if they will just to a 'early' release for pre-bookers. So you can pay full price to play it early on PS5, or pay a reduced price to play it early on XBOX (plus DLC packs or something)

Its what they did with Forza and Starfield. the base game 'free' on release day, early access and DLC as an upsell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

COD makes multiples on their live service as they do on sales. To the point where making a new game every year is slowly becoming less financially beneficial to do so and actually going free to play and dropping a few studios from the cycle is not a million miles away.

I think there's three types of people who'll really benefit from CoD on Game Pass:

1. People who play CoD and already have Game Pass and now don't have to pay 70 quid for the game
    2. People who play the new CoD for a month or two and are happy to pay for a month or two subscription to play the game
    3. People for whom Call of Duty shifts the needle for Game Pass and they now subscribe

First two lose Microsoft money overall, through lost sales. The third makes them money. It'll be interesting if we get any data about how many subscriptions this potentially drives.

I'd be surprised if it moves the console needle though, as the game will still be available as normal on PS5 and PC. And for a casual player who might only buy CoD as their one game a year, a subscription is a terrible value proposition compared to just buying it outright (though there might be a few who'll actually dip their toes in the non-CoD Game Pass pool, as they should!)

Also would not rule out a price hike for Game Pass - maybe not before CoD drops, but certainly afterwards.

In all 3 scenarios they make money on cosmetics and battle passes. The perceived deception of game pass that you didn't pay for the game so you're free to spend money on in game transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In reverse news, F2P MT laden early access game Wayfinder is ditching the F2P model, removing all MTs and making the game a paid co-op rpg. A move some other live service games should do, and while I know nothing of this game nor will I due to the co-op requirement, I hope this works out as it may pave the way for less live service games. Imagine what SSKTJL could have been if it wasn't MT focused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s more of a big-picture decision rather than just relying on a boost in subs though. It’s a move that aims to make the entire Microsoft/Xbox ecosystem a more attractive option than their competitors.

And I think it absolutely does move the needle when it comes to console sales too. It might not get current PS5 owners to switch over immediately, but it does give the COD players a decision to make if Microsoft release something to compete with the PS5 Pro, and if not, for the next generation at least. Selling consoles with a free three months of Gamepass included is suddenly a much more attractive prospect, because it can so easily be advertised as giving COD away for free with the console and it wouldn’t be a complete lie.

The shortfall resulting from the lost game sales would be more than made up for it in the grander scheme of things IMO.

Wouldn't it need to be more than just the game on offer on GP? Let's assume most people are paying full price for GP. That is €120 a year. If all you really care about is COD and maybe only pick up the odd game here and there outside.of COD, then it's better value to buy the game.

They're no allowed to have exclusivity, but I wonder have they found something to offer that will be GP only? Are cosmetics considered exclusivity? If not then I think they will probably offer some skins and weapon bundles available on GP only. Some free, others paid for. I can't think of anything else that would make a COD player switch to GP if they do not already use GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Depends on how heavily they spend on mtx, you get a discount on dlc and igc for all games in Game Pass. If you're buying €20 of CoD points a month for cosmetics and the battle pass will save an additional €24 a year.

Buy enough and you'll break even but you'd have to be a massive whale to do so.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wouldn't CoD only players still need to pay for online so I guess it works out cheaper for them to pay for Gamepass ultimate? Not sure what live and CoD would normally go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The person playing year round and buying each new one straight away might save unless tempted to buy mtx they wouldn't normally have, but they'd get more for the more casual people. People who skip games or don't sub for the live/essential year round.

Then you've got the warzone players who don't need to buy anything or pay for any subscription.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin based Keywords Studios is being pursued by a Swedish equity group, with the latest of several offers being €2.2 billion.

Pretty impressive, seeing as I never heard of them. They are based out in Leopardstown, and seem to be an outsourcing house for other studios, doing testing, art, some development, etc.

They do seem to be another house that has decided to expand through acquisitions, so I'd be wary if I was employed by them. If be overjoyed if I was a stockholder though, 70% above asking is a good return

Sorry for paywall article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Keywords are not in any hurry to be bought I imagine, they've set themselves up really well as a localisation studio initially and been using their hooks there to offer ancillary services, like testing you mentioned before. I worked there before they got big and to be fair, they've been smart on what they've done, they've generally got people in on contract before considering whether or not they are a fit for permanent staffing, and as a result they've got a really strong team in there and some of the management have been poached from other publishers/developers as well.

They've offices around the world now too, they really are a great example of an Irish success story so I hope they do right by themselves. Can't believe they got referenced as "UK" as well though :D we get to keep nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

UK listed means they are on the FTSE UK stock exchange, not that they are located in the UK.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,306 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The studio heads there were on the latest Friends Per Second podcast talking about this.

( and there is also an interview witht he Hellblade studio, where the studio head tries to sidestep the issues with MS right now….)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ChicoCannon

This wouldn't be new, it depends on the type of ad of course. Rainbow 6 Vegas (I think the first one) used to have billboards and posters for AXE deodrant which i believe is Lynx over there, very random one, sony also like to brand a lot of things in their own games and have done it many times, TVs, CD Players old consoles etc….

Token arcade bar in Dublin closing on June 16th.
    https://www.facebook.com/TokenDublin/posts/pfbid02zrwzW8GqBNjEzPnSuwBkbf5x8pZMCdUCy42tcjcbzC5Z55nQcdWp775zAZngUfMjl

"Though often fully booked, we can’t justify raising prices further to meet rising costs. This may not be the end of Token, just our Smithfield chapter. We’ll take a long break and keep an eye out for new opportunities."

Been there many times and while it certainly wasn't a perfect space, Dublin city centre was definitely better off with a venue like it.

This is a shame, I was over in Liverpool at the weekend and within an hour of the hotel there were 2 decent arcades with variety of machines, Token was arguably the best example of that in the capital. Since I moved out of Dublin, there's basically no chance to get an arcade fix in.

Will have to look at getting my own cab again :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mad that even token can't stay open in Dublin.

I never got to visit but have heard their cabs and pinball tables were in really bad nick and never really maintained well which put me off.

IGN has bought Gamer Network.

Infuriatingly, they’ve also immediately started laying people off. The excellent Alice Bell at RPS and Brendan Sinclair at GI.biz have lost their jobs, though I’m sure more will follow. Why buy a website only to immediately make it worse?

**** consolidation, man.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ign-entertainment-acquires-eurogamer-gi-vg247-rock-paper-shotgun-and-more

This one hurts a lot because the gamer network was one of the few places with actual videogame journalism. I'm sure the gamergate knobheads and fanboys are happy.

FFS. I like Sinclair's weekly column and Alice Bell is always a good read. Sounds like more lay-offs are on the way too. Hopefully we see them again soon, with a bit of luck at more independent ventures in the same vein as Aftermath or Second Wind.

Independent is increasingly the way to go, but I fear that’s not a viable strategy for all. I know there’s plenty of independent publications I’d love to support, but realistically can only commit to two or three a month due to cost. I just wish the legacy outlets - at least the ones that have remained committed to good journalism and criticism - were able to survive the way they always have done in the past, without this dire consolidation situation continuing.

No defending IGN immediately starting to gut the staff - and therefore identity - of these sites. That it could’ve been even worse - heaven forbid a private equity firm - is what’s grimmest about it.

https://aftermath.site/ign-gamer-network-eurogamer-gamesindustrybiz-layoffs

Alice Bell - based in Ireland - suggesting many of the layoffs hit staff based outside UK.

Also RPS left without a senior editor due to her abrupt departure.

Also, her comment hits the bullseye - especially when Google is continually **** up how SEO works and prioritising junk content.

Bell: “I am most worried about people's livelihoods, but I am also very worried that they won't be allowed to be weird and write thoughtful, critical things. I worry that, now that the machine has increased in size, it will necessarily crush my most talented peers from the Network into writing boring, SEO-focused things designed to appeal to the averaged-out reader. But people aren't average, so when you try to appeal to the average you end up appealing to nobody."

Agreed re: only being able to support a couple of outlets. If my friends were into gaming as much as me I'd suggest pooling our resources and sharing our support amongst worthy outlets, but they're all filthy casuals. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

The full scale of the layoffs across GN isn't fully apparent yet (though clearly immensely short-sighted by what we've seen), but one slight glimmer of good news is that Eurogamer staff survived the cuts (at least for now).

Wouldnt be too sure. Bob Mackey is on twitter reminding people that this is the same company that gutted and closed down 1up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So it's IGN themselves that made the acquisition then?
    And not their parent company Ziff Davis? 🤔

A brief FT run down on the games industry, again behind a paywall, but it's got an incredibly grim view. They think that the industry is going through a correction, and is closer to being finished, but there thing that jumped out at me is that they believe that the industry will shed 10% of the workforce this year.

Jesus.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

A correction seems like the wrong term here. With the way projects work in the games industry and what we've seen, i.e. ramp up for AAA game, game finishes development, cull occurs, makes me wonder if they can't learn something from hollywood industry with their unions. You definitely don't hear about these massive culls in that industry anymore, but the other thing hollywood has going for it, is that it's not quite the monopolised landscape we currently seem to have in games where long established studios are being hoovered up and then dismantled in acquisitions.

I'm sure people in the games industry would love to be in unions but the big publishers will do everything in their power to make sure a union isn't formed.

• Advertisement

Seems Dragon Quest day is on the horizon and there'll be a lot of dragon quest news incoming. Hopefully they will give a release date for the DQ3 HD-2D remaster, been ages since we heard anything. Also could be some DQ12 news but it might be a long way out. I've a feeling that game is going to get refocused on to PC and switch 2 since the PS5 is performing so poorly in Japan.

Kind of hoping the DS and 3DS ports of other older DQ games get released on console and PC.

Advertisement