Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not enough. We did get a Gotta Protectors sequel. I'd say a lot of them will be stuck on 3DS.

A Guild01 compilation would be magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is a bummer, especially for the studios involved. Wizards of the Coast have pulled the plug on five unannounced projects in an apparent scaling back of their video game plans. Announced projects, notably Baldur's Gate 3, are unaffected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I can't recommend Hitman enough. The three of these games are probably my most played games since the first one came out. It's got one of the most satisfying lock on mechanics I've ever come across, which turns objects in the environment into better weapons than your pistols. The feel of knocking someone out with a billiard ball, then locking on to someone across the room and throwing that ball straight into their forehead is incredibly pleasing.

The methods and challenges are brilliant as well. Why kill your targets with traditional methods when you could spook them into fleeing in their seaplane, causing them to take off in front of an old Italian castle, where you've taken the time to arm an 18th century cannon, and blast them out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I must go back to Hitman 2, i only got half way through before moving on to either game. Really interested in the Freelancer mode releasing at the end of the month so Hitman 3 is back on my 'to get' list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually remembered to pick up Hitman 3 in the current Steam sale and complete the collection thanks to that announcement :p

The modern ones are great indeed, although I do tend to dial in intensely for a mission or two and then only return a year or so later for more! I do think they have the most unnecessarily convoluted purchasing / ownership system in the history of video games - glad they're simplifying it a bit, although reading the details still made my eyes glaze over with the various packs and DLC bits 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was tempted to pick up Hitman 1 and/or 2 after completing Hitman 3, but yeah the purchase system was so needlessly complex and seemed more expensive than just buying the games individually (considering that H1&2 were older by that stage and therefore should have been cheaper), so I never bothered. Might give them a try now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say as well, i was fully against the episodic release of the first one like so many other people. When i picked it up after launch, i absolutely loved the episodic approach as it made me really appreciate each level and the amount of options you have in them. Now, I tend to do 1 or 2 goes at a level and move onto the next, only returning months later like Johnny said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So you know all the nonsense from Square Enix about NFT games? Despite they having a really prolific 2022 and releasing some amazing games? Well it's probably all BS.

You'll find all kinds of other companies in Japan going on about NFTs and crypto. The reason is the Japanese government panicked and didn't want to be behind when it came to crypto so introduced major tax cuts for companies that invest in crypto.

So basically none of these companies have any interest in making crypto work and know that it's a scam. However they are funneling all their money through their crypto divisions to take advantage of the tax break in basically one big legal tax avoidance scam.

As a big major company it's no wonder they are so into Crypto, disaster capitalists just love not paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

I got the worst possible value out of Hitman's convoluted purchasing scheme, bought Hitman 3 at launch having never played the first two, and I loved it so much I bought the first two games. This was when next gen consoles just came out and everything was full price, think it was well over 100 quid in total.

Still enjoyed it a lot, most of the levels I only played once or twice but the ones I really liked got a lot of replays. I never really understood all the other random stuff in the game outside of repeating the main levels tbh, especially coming back a year or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Strangely, Hidden Path have come out and said that their D&D project is still happening, but Schreier is doubling down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Schreier: "Hidden Path D&D game cancelled"

Hidden Path: "Ah, no, actually we're hiring"

Schreier: "Hidden Path D&D game cancelled"

Seems weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It might be that wizards have cancelled it and just not told the Dev team.

Bit like Amazon leaking that they are letting thousands of people go but are not telling them until the 18th of Jan.

Tim Miller (Deadpool) stepping in to direct reshoots for the Borderlands movie in place of original director Eli Roth. They claim it's because Roth will be too busy on a small horror movie he's due to start filming.

I'm guessing initial screenings were skag-sh*t and they're bringing in Miller to try salvage the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, that would be what happens when you hire Eli Roth. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I read that whole article waiting for the mention of Zachary Quinto...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Anything to do with Randy Pitchford turns to ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The question for me remains: will the film adaptation be less or more obnoxious with its singular tone of comedy. I pinball all over the place when it comes to Borderlands' brazen approach - but not sure that would translate into an appealing 2+ hours of constant yelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do a double-take every time I see Blanchett's name with Borderlands. She's always been a versatile actress willing to work across every type of film, role and budget scale, but it's particularly funny seeing her going from one of the great film performances of the last decade in Tár to an Eli Roth-directed Borderlands adaptation 😅

The humour in Borderlands 2, I have to admit I found a lot of it funny. Not good funny, mostly just stupid funny, and I hadn't played the first game so I'd gone into BL2 with no idea what to expect. However they then leaned so far into that with later games that stupid funny mostly just became stupid annoying. Same jokes repeated ad nauseum. Everyone had to be a "character with a gimmick". And once the formula for their humour became apparant, it just lost all meaning and effect.

Tiny Tina and Krieg are two of the main characters for the film, and they've cast Kevin Hart as Roland, so I'd say they're going for constant yelling and hope some of it lands.

Borderlands lore and 'humour' has always to me been Fallout but incredibly ****.

Which is kind of where Fallout 4 ended up as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

HBO'S The Last of Us is getting great reviews. Not just good for a game adaption but stand alone good for those that never played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The reviews from the more serious publications are a little less hyperbolic about it but haven't seen any reviews that say it's not a good show and worth catching.

Quite happy to hear this news TBH. I like Forza Horizon, but felt the formula is starting to get a bit stale. A new studio will hopefully give this team an opportunity to build something fresh from the ground up, while also perhaps getting some new creative blood in at Playground Games to mix things up with Horizon at the same time. Looking forward to see what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Tbf, an 84% rating on metacritic for a TV show adaption of a video game is pretty exceptional. Pascal is great in pretty much everything I've seen him in and just watched Catherine Named Birdy over the Christmas and Bella Ramsay was fantastic in that. Really looking forward to seeing the two of them as Joel and Ellie. Was fully prepared for this to be crap but getting excited to start watching this on Sunday.

Considering the talent involved I always knew it was going to be good, I didn't think it was going to be this highly acclaimed though. I wonder if this will be the games equivalent of what Iron Man did for comics, the one that REALLY kicks everything off.

AAA open world game. Don't expect something fresh. It doesn't matter what the world is, fantasy, cars, sci-fi, something completely new. You're still going to to travel from A to B and do something, then onto C and do something and back to A before being sent to Y before you have to go back to C, B and A again.

People moan about Ubisoft's open world maps being ridiculous but I always found the Forza Horizon games to be far worse for this. I could hardly figure out wtf was going on.

• Advertisement

The readability in Forza is awful. In ubisoft games the maps are full of nonsense but you can figure out what they are, the issue is it's all boring skinner box stuff. But Forza Horizon there's races but I don't know what type of race and once you get to a race you can select different types and I'm not sure what they are or what progress I'll get from them. And even when you change car I found it difficult to get out of the tuning menu without applying a god awful decal of anime girls to my car.

UI designers need to play Atlus games, even just Persona and learn how to do proper attractive readable UI.

Advertisement