Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

Damn site still doesn't work on Android....

We have another one who hasn't discovered the map filter in FH yet 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to use the defense of the fact I didn't know this was a thing is another example of bad UI design 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

With the amount of nonsense on screen its no mystery why I never found it. Also IMO if you NEED a filter to figure out what is going on on the map screen then your map screen is shite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've plenty of issues with Forza Horizon - open-world bloat, annoying characters / 'Horizon' colour, and over-complicated / over-busy menus among them. But in terms of actually utilising open worlds beyond just a hub for races, I think they do a lot right - one of my favourite parts of the game is simply trying to keep a mad, destructive combo going as you speed across the countryside towards the next waypoint. The games feel great to play, and the loop is rock solid - just a shame the formula has only progressed in baby steps between each entry.

The devs know what they're doing in many respects, so I'm definitely curious to see what they're working on now - although yes I agree 'AAA open world title' isn't the most encouraging series of words :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Speaking of Ubisoft AAA shite... Skull & Bones is being delayed again.

Ubisoft also announcing they've cancelled more games they were working on and are revising targets downwards generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just playing Uncharted 4, and the UI, and controls are so minimal, there is no crap to find and collect (unless you really want to collect stuff), there is no map, and it herds you in the right direction, but gives you the impression you did it under your own steam.

It's such a relief to just play a simple and perfect videogame 🤣🤣🤣

It's definitely a cure for open-world-itis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surprised they’ve delayed Skull & Bones so many times - copying and pasting Jolly Roger flags onto the ‘Ubisoft Open World Template ©️’ is obviously a lot of work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pity it's kind of boring with a throw away story.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's not boring, it's a simple story, well told and it's got a lot of heart. It's kinda like if James Cameron made a video game. 😸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Very likely they are looking for a merger where they stay at the head of the table which is going to be difficult to push through.

But they have a serious amount of IP.

Phil Spencer probably already checking between the couch cushions for a few billion

Was about to say that. MS will flash the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I doubt it would help with their anti monopoly FTC troubles to go and buy one of the biggest independent publishers.

Yeah buying up Ubisoft would almost certainly spell game over for Microsoft’s efforts to buy Activision. I think even if the Activision deal goes ahead MS would likely struggle to get any other massive deal over the regulatory line for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If they really wanted to, I could see Microsoft offering to buy either studios and/or specific IP's from Ubisoft. Basically asset stripping but it would depend on how much Ubi need the money...

Ah yeah, fair point, forgot about that.

Ubisoft seem to be blaming a lot of their woes on consumers spending more money and time with live service games, while completely ignoring that there is a huge market and potential for the type of games Ubisoft do make; they just need to make them better. They're beyond stale at this point and most of their single-player offerings all feature the same additional revenue tropes;

• Resource-collecting in the game for upgrades, but several upgrades requiring the same resources which you therefore run out of quicker.... but you can buy resource bundles in the shop, because what's better than having to play the game less!
    • Slow XP gains.... but you can buy XP boosts in the shop, because what's better than having to play the game less!
    • Numerous types of currency for buying things
    • Numerous types of cosmetic items.... but after launch new purchasable cosmetic packs will continuously be released and shoved down your throat every time you open the game or menu, or even from the PS5 main menu because they change the background image that appears when you highlight the game to advertise their wares
    • DLC packs for stuff that should have been in the game
    • Stories that never end. All games designed to set up the next game

I mean Christ, imagine Elden Ring or GOW Ragnarok with that business model behind them. Want to level up your Dark Moonlight Greatsword? You need to collect 158 timber, 42 steel and 5 gold, or you can buy them from the online store in the pause menu for just 10 Erdtree Credits! For just 4.99 you can make Kratos and Atreus look like Finn and Jake the Dog from Adventure Time!

I know Ubisoft aren't the only ones who do the above, but it's become such a staple of theirs that even outside of their typical Ubisoft formula for actual game design it's really pushing people away from their games. I loved AC Odyssey and completed everything in it, but when Valhalla came out I just couldn't justify starting again at the bottom rung of another Ubisoft ladder. It also doesn't help them that their games are always on sale. You can't browse through any sale on PSN without seeing most of the Ubisoft games from the last 5 years on sale, with their various editions or bundles. Even if they release a game in October, it'll be 30% off in the Xmas sale.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to them in the coming years. You would hope this would be a wake-up call, but given that they seem to be eyeing live-service games as where the bulk of people's time and money is going towards, I'm not hopeful.

Extraordinary that this case has been going on behind closed doors while Rick and Morty has continued to grow and High on Life has just become a major and heavily promoted hit. The charges sound pretty horrific. Roiland for his part has pleaded not guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

It's trendy to hate on the ubisoft openworld formula but if you look at what they've been saying, that's not where they're failing. Assassin's Creed is still a megahit and they're doubling down on it, while Far Cry 6 reportedly made more money than its predecessors too. Their problem is that they haven't had one of those games recently and all their attempts to diversify have not succeeded. The latest Mario Rabbids didn't sell, same with Just Dance, Riders Republic, Roller Champions, Immortals Fenix. Nothing they've tried outside their established big franchise over the last few years has stuck, that's why they're saying the market wants large scale live service games, because large scale live service games such as AC Valhalla are the only place that they're finding growth and their attempts at other genres are not working out.

Probably doesn't help that Skull & Bones has been in development hell and looks dreadful, and who knows how much resources have been spent behind the scenes on vaporware like BG&E and Prince of Persia.

They can go to hell for all I care until they give us a beyond good and evil successor that plays like the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The slim chance of that ever happening has gone out the window

I don’t think anyone would dispute Ubisoft’s open world games have generally been quite popular and commercially successful - Assassins Creed and Far Cry particularly. Still have easy to mock and dislike the formula, though 😅

I do think they’ve probably been a victim of longer development times more than anyone. Their successful model was built around getting AC games out the door before Christmas every year. It was a big deal when they took a one year break. Now there’s a three-year gap - almost certainly impacted by the pandemic, of course, but likely also the feasibility of creating modern games of that scale on a one-two year release cycle (two-three development cycle, given multiple lead studios), even with vast development resources and multiple studios. Based on their current approach of announcing a bunch of AC games though I wouldn’t be surprised if they get back to a one-two year release cycle for the next few years, potentially before another big gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They're a company built on dlc very expensive dlc at that mind you not Square Enix NFT esque but still every Assassin's Creed has had a €100+ version since PS4/XboxOne. Even Fenyx had a very high priced edition and these are not the statue editions these are only extra content.

I wouldn't be surprised if that AC media blitz ends up being another 'Fabula Nova Crystalis' level failure.

Square Enix has no interest in producing any NFTs or NFT based products. There's currently a tax break for supposed Web 3.0 companies in Japan so Square Enix have basically created a NFT division, are funneling their profits through it and fleecing the country out of tax. Most japanese companies will or are doing similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope it never happens TBH: the original is such a perfect little piece of gaming amber from the early 2000, there's simply no way any sequel could recreate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No wonder (f**k) Konami have been trying to flog NFTs recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Weird/nice way to wish a happy new year and provide a release window at the same time.

• Advertisement

Often comedians live.on the.edge of what is socially acceptable. It's no surprise looking at the style of comedy (vulgar, sexism) that he is someone with some sort of personality problem.

Advertisement