Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Not that i am wayyy out of touch with things military but, given all that talk about US and Uk jet aircraft does anyone know the score with France and their Rafale and Mirage jets?

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭sparky42

The French are the French, they will happily sell us whatever, might even give a loan for it like they have in the past to other nations. Greece recently bought more Rafales to add to their existing second hand ones. The first order of 18 plus equipment cost just under €2.5 billion. Mirages probably get you back into the questions of how well maintained/used are they, what standard are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess any deal/lease etc. will have to include training, servicing, weapons updates etc. The last mirages were just retired by the French they still are fast with decent range if getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

France is pushing hard to get any legacy mirage operator onto the Rafale. Great deals are being given to make the switch, as France divests its early versions and replaces them with the F4 version. Croatia and Greece got great deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quoting myself and in particular my critique of Aussie F35 buy. An Australian think-tank is pushing for a B21 buy primarily for reasons of range and throw weight.

I tend to agree with this analysis insofar as the F35 doesn't suit Australia's need for long range strike and sea control.

The government has said the Australian Defence Force requires greater long-range strike capability. This was first stated in the previous government’s 2020 defence strategic update, which emphasised the need for ‘self-reliant deterrent effects’.

In other news and of far more pertinence to Ireland. The Argentines have shelved their fighter tender process. So those Danish F16s will be going spare 😉

• Advertisement

The Australians (or at least a segment of their defence pundits) have been after long range bombers since WW2, two of the U.K. V bomber designs were looked at at the time, and then there was the F111s. I can’t see the US letting anyone buy the B21 and more to the point I can’t see anyone else being able to afford any effective number of them. Seems the Australian Defence Pundits seem to be forgetting that they have just committed to god knows how many billions ultimately on some class of SSNs at some point, buying Stealth bombers on top of that would make for some “interesting” budget profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

The greens got there’s at a steal, upgraded versions too…Indonesia are buying 42 of them.

I did have a moment or 2 imagining Eamon and Co zooming around at Mach 2 before it dawned on me that you meant the Greeks😉

To return to the question of the Aussies and the B21 some other points I would raise is, if the complaints are about costs and reliability of the F35, turning around and suggesting the B21 is a better option makes zero sense. The life time costs of even a squadron of multi engine stealth bombers will dwarf the costs of the same for a F35 squadron and given it hasn’t even flown “officially” let alone entered service nobody knows what it’s reliability rates will be. And like the decision to go for SSNs it seems to take no consideration of the build rates of the US, they need the B21 in service particularly as the B1 is half shagged, when would they find time to add more for another nation (same issue as to where the spare capacity for the SSNs will come from). Ultimately if they want long range strike/sea control they will have (at some stage) their nuclear subs, they don’t need Stealth bombers.

On the costs front, I totally agree with you. The numbers I've seen for the B21 at a 100 airframe buy are around $700mln an airframe. That does include the development cost but not the lifecycle costs.

I think what will happen on that front is that much like the current rotation of US bombers based in Australia, that when the B21 enters service. It will join that rotation.

Agree with you that Australia can't afford both SSNs and Stealth Bombers.

My own amatuer assessment would lead me to slashing the F35 buy to 24 and going with more F18E/F or even the F15EX along with more tankers.

Australia needs long range strike and that would IMO be better served with strike package built around Gen 4.5 fighters with the F35 acting as AEW and penetrating strike/wild weasel role. Utilise it's stealth to attack enemy radar and utilise it's sensor and AESA radar capability to both suppress enemy radars and act almost as mini AWACS accompanying a strike package. Even at that, the whole capability hinges on A2A refueling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Australia doesn't need SSNs and Stealth Bombers anyway.

It just needs a capable enough military to protect the homeland and safely host allied forces who DO possess large scale offensive capabilities, ie American and British boomers, carriers and heavy strategic bombers.

I mean the doomsday scenario for any wandering NATO ship, sub or plane after a nuclear war, was always to head south and try to reach Australia. Its the world's largest floating dock and aircraft carrier rolled into one.

That “plan” works when the likely “doomsday” was from a NATO Warsaw Pact nuclear war, a war with China is far more likely to end up with Australia getting much more direct attention than say the 1980s.

Also the Germans have just ordered F35a’s plus weapons and equipment to replace their Tornados for the NATO nuke strike role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Radar

Ditch the pc9 s ,

3 or 4 PC 21s

about 12 gripen c

And 2 to 4 gripen d ,possibly leased

And some class of simulator

Move everything fixed wing to Shannon,+ lots of hanger and engineering space..

With family accomodation for recruits,

And an aviation engineering college,

You do the course,while getting paid and owe x number of years service to the state, plus a definite defined reserve function .

Problem is ..

It all costs, and the Irish public wouldn't really value the money spent ..

It would need to be done in stages

, with political will to follow through ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And then the next catch is what else could we do with that money , ( but wouldn't )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Most of the Forbes article is either inaccurate or speculative diarrhoea.

The Republic of Ireland isn't mulling anything. It has a long term investment plan, the first level of which is being enabled through different development strands.

The second level, which includes the possibility of acquiring fighter interceptors, will be considered for implementation at a undetermined future date.

A cursory phone call would have told Forbes all this.

But then it wouldn't have been able to put out the article...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭tippilot

An amateurish article. Stuck for content given the time of year is the best you can say about it.

I wouldn't have put Forbes down as a publication that puts out fluff articles. If anything this is the 2nd such article from this source on that publication.

• Advertisement

I think whats going on here, is that Forbes is a financial and investment publication. They are interested in anything that will cause market fluctuations, such as oil and gas embargoes, the security of energy and raw materials supplies and the security of data and communications assets in the current environment, so thats where their emphasis is, picking up on risks in geo-political terms, rather than on any real accuracy in the security matters.

Still, its shoddy enough, their sub-editors should do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Its looks like the french are selling 16 Rafales to the colmbians are just over 3 Billion

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/12/23/colombia-begins-negotiations-to-buy-16-rafale-fighter-jets/

And as usual with the French they are willing to loan the money to keep the procurement going.

The price tag seams alot for just 16, they must have all the bells and whisles

I imagine plenty of stores, spares, training and I suppose which variant they might be going for? Ex French early models or the latest spec?

The CAF are replacing the kfirs, which is mirage platform with an Israeli name, @Dohvolle mentioned this last week that frane is pushing hard to get any legacy mirage operators onto the Rafale, this is one of many examples…I sincerely hope our French/Irish friendship stretches to that type of purchasing or leasing.

That price is eyewatering for 16, I don't care what ancillaries are included.

They'd have got F35s for that and change to spare.

Greece and Croatia got a similar quantity for nowhere near that price. Instead closer to €1bn.

Unless this deal is for new airframes, instead of 2nd Hand or a mix of both.

Wonder as well what price other non-EU nations have been getting for such numbers?

• Advertisement

I think the price is Colmbian pesos not dollars as they use the same symbol as dollars

Advertisement