Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Differentiate how though, from the perspective of where property prices go from here?

It takes two seconds to google fixed rate mortgages offered in Sweden: https://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/bonds/sweden/mortgagerates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

And a second less to find the percentage of variable rate mortgages there, but what are the implications on property prices in a market where a huge percentage of both owners and buyers are exposed to rising rates? Then consider why a market with a much higher rate of fixed mortgages may not be affected in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think alot of market forces are down to sentiment ,while you consider variable mortages to be a negative so prices should drop .Older lads would consider 3.5% mortage rates as affordable compared to rates 10 +years ago and like always said 'rent is dead money'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At this stage in the cycle fixed rates are running 1.5-2% below variable rates. In Ireland it's actually higher than that. I have not even checked other factors in Sweden.

Its comparing apples and oranges. There is even people comparing what is happening in the commercial sectors with residential sector.

At present in Ireland demand exceeds supply by a factor of 2 or 3 to one. Ya of 100k houses appeared out of somewhere it would cool the market there is nothing to indicate that such supply will happen.

Actually I not sure why I am bothering either.

Slava Ukrainii

Because both variable and fixed rates are going up for house purchasers and its house purchasers that determine the price of properties not existing homeowners.

• Advertisement

You're comparing fixed rates versus variable rates at one point in time. The banks are considering market interest rates over the life of the mortgage in determining their pricing - it's not like they're giving free money away to fixed rate mortgage holders. The lack of supply also existed in the Swedish market not so long ago.

lol. It's buyers and sellers that make a market. Those holding onto their homes are not participating in the market. Seems obvious but clearly not to some.

For those that understand, no explanation necessary, for those that cannot, no explanation possible.

🤣Profound. When you can't play the ball, play the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At the start of this year I predicted the Irish residential market would cool by 10% but it would be over 12-24 months. I have seen nothing to indicate yet I am wrong. However there is no benefit to buyers in that.

Why so.

Because a mortgage take out 3-6 months ago would have a lower variable rate than one taken out in 6-12 months time.whennyou factor in rental cost along with it over five years the cost is virtually the same

Will we see a collapse in Boise prices in the order on 25% plus. Ya if MNC wages drop by 10-15% and unemployment rises to 10%, and EU interest rates rise to 3.5-4% There is no indication that such actions will happen it would take a combination of events to cause such an action.

Actually the biggest issue Ireland is facing over the next 1-3 years is the temporary exodus of younger workers now that COVID is over. The vast majority of these workers will be from the construction/utility sector.

Most people at present borrow in 3-5 year fixed cycles. Usually if you manage the first 5-10 years of a loan the increase in capital V the decrease in interest payments smooths the effects of any rate rise.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I don't like the fecker Murphy but he was trying to say that if the government had its own workers building houses that the profit element could be cut out of the expense. The other lad who was from the construction side kept saying that model that Murphy was on about would increase costs without actually stating how and when pressed how it would he got annoyed.

Further rate hikes today and further planned. Banks will be offering loans out at a minimum of 4% from here on out. Prices don't change instantly, but banks are already getting more stringent in handing out loans as they're expecting prices to drop/recession. I've had colleagues in work have to prove their employment, and their college education and jump through hoops to get approval. It is getting more difficult.

There is always a latency with hikes and prices, when rates go up, prices go down. It is a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you seriously think any gobvernment workers or government firm could turn out houses cheaper than even the dearest building firm you are on cloud cuckoo land to begin with.Just look at the attempt by the office of public works to supply modular houses for the refugees,They Government made noises about supplying these modular homes last March and the o.p.w. have nor even got a site yet to put them on ,god help if they actually have to build any !!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Data from last year suggest that over 40% of renters rely on HAP or other government subsidies. All great as long as MNC dollar roles in, what will happen when it slows down ? Exchequer is spending everything as they come in, nothing put a side.

HAP was a temporary measure when it was introduced years ago, as a stop gap till more social houses were built. This never happened, and the state just kept expanding the scope of HAP and here we are, where it costs the state over €1 Billion just in rent subsidies to private and commercial landlords.

Any temporary measures our government has come out with, inevitably just becomes the norm. As with HAP, something tells me the we will see eviction ban just become a thing, with more or less lifetime tenancy guarantee. The government has no other option, as they have backed themselves into a corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

As Murph pointed out historically we did build social units its only a recent phenomenon that we stopped (last 20 years) so it can be done... .. I think Modular houses ramped up is the way to go and move both refugees and those on welfare into these. Hopefully this new planning bill will help expedite building

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You need to remember that Sweden was up there with NZ, Canada and Australia for price rises and have been warned by the ESRB about vulnerabilities in its housing market for 5+ years and had estimated that Swedish housing was 45+% overvalued at the same time they we’re saying the Irish housing market was 20% undervalued. That was in the feb 2022 report.

source: https://www.esrb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/reports/esrb.report220211_vulnerabilities_eea_countries~27e571112b.en.pdf

According to the following report Sweden and Ireland have more or less the same house price to income ratios as of Q2 2022:

I'd wonder about the ECB / EC models used when preparing the following chart (page 23 of the ESRB report):

• EC uses PV of rental income as part of its model and based on that judges Irish prices to be undervalued - which is a logical conclusion except that it's a house of cards (social unrest, State can't afford it, SF may get into power, unaffordable to vast swathes of the population without State aid, erosion of property rights).
    • ECB on the otherhand uses a model that determines appropriate house prices as a function of income, the real housing capital stock per household, and real average mortgage interest rates. Which is fine when everything is stable but where does the model leave us when interest rates are on an upwards trajectory.

I'd have thought the number of years of income needed to buy 100 sqm would be the best indicator of overvaluation and Ireland has the worst overvaluation except for Croatia by this measure.

Post edited by kaymin on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not all 100sqm are equal.

What is the average standard of housing in Croatia?

• Advertisement

No idea. Are you suggesting Irish property overvaluation is justified based on build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Ozark707

No let up in IR rises for the foreseeable. Looks like another 1.5% of rises are baked in for 1H2023.

The ECB president said it was “tempting to assume that all central banks are doing the same thing all the time”. But Lagarde added: “If you compare us to the Fed, we have more ground to cover, we have longer to go”. She warned of a further half-point rate rise at the ECB’s next meeting in February and “possibly the one after that and possibly thereafter.” Dashing hopes that the ECB could stop its rate rises soon, she said: “We are not slowing down. We are in for the long game.” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

i will stick with the risk assessment of ESRB rather than cherry pick stats to get a point across.

The fact remains Sweden has has extreme house price growth in recent years which make’s Ireland house price growth look flat in comparison. They have been flagged as high risk and have been given warnings that their housing market is exposed to an crash…Ireland is classified as medium risk and haven’t received any warnings…the biggest risk identified for Ireland was lack of supply and the risk of driving house prices higher as a result.

Well that's a cop-out if ever I heard one. I haven't cherry picked any stats - I've referred to the core models on which the ESRB has based their analysis of the Irish housing market. 20% undervalued is frankly a nonsense assessment and I've pointed out why. A model without any stress testing of the inputs particularly given the current shift away from historically low interest won't stand up to the test of time.

Just to add, the ESRB report shows Irish house prices are vastly overpriced per one of the three measures they present. You've selected one of their other models which shows a 20% undervaluation - someone is cherry picking the stats and it ain't me.

Post edited by kaymin on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The government as in the local authorities) used to build houses. They had their own workers and build to a high standard. It was noticed around the 1990s that it was costing more to provide houses that way that the equivalent house was selling for on the open market. The councils then decided to simply buy houses from developers and save money. The trouble with employing labour directly is that the workers unionise and can't be laid off during periods of temporary inactivity and insist on outdated work practices in order to keep the numbers up. I saw 4 men appear to repair a burco boiler in a government office one day. A plumber and his mate, an electrician and his mate came to do a job that would have been done by a handyman in a hotel in 20 minutes. This was after the plumber and his mate came to look at it and said "electrical" and walked off. the electrician wouldn't work on the boiler until the water was turned off ( plumbers job). Neither the plumber or the electrician would take their own tools from their tool boxes. That was their mate's job.

There has been woeful under-investment in apprenticeships and training for the trades for years. There was a time when the local authorities and the board oif works could attract applications from top class tradesmen. Now thay are not on the field.

Anyone who thinks that the housing problem can be solved by the government employing labour directly to build houses is badly mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Look what has happened to rents even, when the government got in on setting rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I know for fact an acquaintance of mine bought an apartment small cramped thing, couldn't even call it apartment outside Stockholm about 10 years ago for like 40k eur and sold it early this year for 150k. Obviously in their kroner.

They have a very controlled rental market by the state.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm suggesting there may be a reason that 100sqm in Ireland is more preferable d expensive that 100sqm in Croatia.

Seems like a strange metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

This doesn't mean a whole lot without a rake of other data points. The most obvious being the size of the houses being bought in Sweden compared with here. These guys were playing around with interest only mortgages that were sitting at a low of 1.3% only a year ago, it's pretty obvious they will get burned much worse than we will.

• Advertisement

The chart at the bottom of my post gives the ratio of income to the cost of 100sqm of a house. Ireland far outstrips all except Croatia on this measure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement