Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever offer your seat to women for no reason?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I agree 89897 except the bit about having their own bank account, pure madness all the money will be wasted on impulse buys from the likes of boohoo.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

As other posters have said, I'd only offer my seat to an elderly or pregnant woman.

I still hold the door for women, but most don't even acknowledge it anyway, it's as if it's expected, where as if I hold the door for another man they'd always say thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Was on the Luas this morning, a middle aged woman got on, loudly said she needed a seat, she had had a foot operation. Someone gave up their seat for her.

I got off at the same stop as this woman. I watched her as she raced down the street like a marathon runner, boy was she flying.

She must have had a wonderful surgeon doing her foot operation 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭89897

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭eggy81

Very inconsiderate towards people who don’t want that little interaction after you hold the door open. Of which there are very very many people of that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Comparing any random thing to Hitler isn't funny, or offensive, just boring imho

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

Not looking for an interraction, just common courtesy. And it is very rare that that courtesy is not extended in my experience. I would say the same to counter staff in a shop or wherever if they just throw your change at you with a grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure. Was there any reason to offer her the seat except the fact that she is a woman and you're a man? Like, was she old or struggling to walk or something? Or was she just a healthy looking young woman?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What’s with all the questions El_D? You’re having me overthinking it now 😂

I presume she was a woman anyway, I have no reason to think otherwise, and I didn’t do a health assessment. I presume it was the dog needed to see the vet, not her 🤨

No reason other than just basic manners is all. I like to think I was raised properly as opposed to being dragged up.

Just seeing if you gave her the seat because she was a woman or because she needed it.

It was probably unquestionably good manners when you were young. It's not really a matter of manners now because equality is valued more than it used to be. Things change. It's more a way to virtue signal old school values, than manners nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wouldnt give my seat to a woman unless she was older than me (I'm 68) or pregnant/infirmed. I would always hold a door open for any man/woman but I would expect a thank you for doing so. I have on many occasions felt the need to shout after them "Thanks is the word you are struggling to say"

Ohhhkay, you’re definitely overthinking the whole thing then in that case. Don’t get me wrong I do see where you’re coming from, you’re more concerned about signalling virtues you value like equality and so on.

I’m just… well, not. It’s good manners at any time and it’s something I instilled in my own son as he was growing up and all. It wasn’t an accident that he developed good manners.

That's the thing though. It used to be good manners to offer your seat to a woman (why is it good manners?). And now things have changed and it's good manners to treat people equally.

Why is it good manners to offer your seat to a woman? You said you were brought up to do it and it's good manners. Why is it good manners, what's the logic?

And what does “treating people equally” mean in that situation? Bit convenient if it means you keep the seat like you got there first! 😁

I can appreciate it’s a different mindset than your own, so it’s difficult to explain the concept of behaving in a civilised manner when you have a different idea of what it means to behave in a civilised manner.

The logic is simply that it’s not a big deal to be considerate of others. Your idea of being considerate of others is that you’ll keep your seat.

It’s a foreign concept to me I have to be honest, because in my experience at least, the idea of treating men and women differently doesn’t equate to not regarding people as being of equal status, or what I think you’re driving at - the idea that I would have negative attitudes towards women if I didn’t treat them as you do.

I won’t lie, your approach still strikes me as rather convenient from your perspective 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I suppose laying your cape over a puddle for a lady is out of fashion now as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Why are you using the slang word for male genitalia to abuse not nice people? Why not say geebag?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,841 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stallone offered a lady a seat once, and then he kicked ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does this hypothetical woman need the seat more than he does? If not then what you are suggesting is completely sexist and suggesting that women are inferior to men.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So you can't really articulate your reasons for why it's good manners to give your seat to a woman? That's disappointing. You repeated your position so many times that I thought you'd have a reason for it.

My own position is that we're equals. So I treat people fairly and equally. I don't expect anyone to offer their seat to me because its first come, first served in public places like busses. If someone else has the the seat, fair play.

If someone, including myself, needs a seat, then it's good behaviour to offer the seat to them. If not, then, I just get on with my journey.

If you see men and women as the same status then why would you treat them differently? Are you sure you can't articulate it?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Well, I'd say it is, but I don't know how to behave in a civilised manner. Or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭89897

Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to?

HD have you ever known me to be concerned about sexism? 😁

Of course it’s sexist to treat people differently on the basis of sex, but the idea that anyone is inferior as a consequence of their sex, does not follow on from the idea of treating people differently on the basis of their sex.

What you’re alluding to is something entirely different altogether.

I could articulate it if I wanted to, but like I actually said - it’s difficult to explain the concept of behaving in a civilised manner when you have a different idea of what it means to behave in a civilised manner.

I don’t need to articulate it when you’ve indicated that you already consider the idea old fashioned. You must have considered it’s value in order to come to that conclusion.

I’m certain I can’t articulate it to someone who doesn’t understand the concept that everyone being of equal status does not mean that all people should be treated as though they are the same. We’re clearly not, and I don’t need to carry out an individual assessment every time for something as trivial as giving up a seat where it’s just a common courtesy, and people who share the same values I do understand that much without having it explained to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some serious gold medal contender mental gymnastics going on in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Whenever I offer my seat to a lady, they don't seem to stay seated for very long; apparently cold damp urine is off-putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

No women asked for equality and I will treat them how I treat men. I remember in school we had conduct cards which teachers could give a bad or good mark on. I didn't hold open the door for this vile Spanish teacher and she gave me a bad mark. I didn't even know she was there but regardless of that shouldn't 'strong independent women' not be able to open the door themselves?

Advertisement