Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever offer your seat to women for no reason?

Options
  • 05-12-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

Was on the tube today and a young lad kept asking any woman who walked by if they'd like a seat. Young ladies. At first I cringed a little thinking the women might take he thought they looked a lot older than they are, but judging by their body language they seemed to all think the offer was sweet even though they all declined.

Is it it a bit odd to do this in 2022 or endearing chivalry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Very odd... unless pregnant or elderly...the women are well able to stand these days!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s odd, as above.. pregnant or elderly or someone with an obvious disability…fine.

random females, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

To paraphrase Dave Chapelle, Chivalry's dead and it was women that killed it.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Only if its the drivers seat and I'm expected to drive.

Real equality in action.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Yes, I offer my seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭thegame983

If they're good looking...I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well yes, if there is something to be gained.

But offering the seat to any woman walking by smells of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

If I spot a more comfortable seat nearby ,then I will.

FFS, quote function not working again.

What I was trying to say was, and good riddance to the concept of chivalry. Absolutely absurd and completely outdated notion.

Good manners should be gender-agnostic. The idea of one section of society getting preferential* treatment due to gender is objectively nonsensical. I'm a chick and I hold doors open for both men and women and will offer my seat on the bus to anyone who looks like they might need it more than me.

• Advertisement

Edit function FUBAR now too.

The asterisk was because whether such treatment was *actually* preferential is very much up for debate, imo. The entire concept of chivalry (in its original, medieval form) is based on the thesis that women need protecting, both from themselves and other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@Dial Hard This should be the moment when you realise that you have started to type like your parent(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I always ask if they would like to sit on their knees or on my lap, good to give them options I think. That is what feminism is striving for, better options when using public transport.

Plenty of men and younger lads automatically do chivalrous things. Old fashioned or not, it's still really nice of them. Good manners, well raised. But yes of course women should do the same.

Specifically giving a train seat up for a woman merely because she's a woman though... no I don't experience or see that. That was probably a thing many decades ago, but no need for it unless she's heavily pregnant, elderly, ill or disabled.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

wow I am surprised at the amount saying 'no way'

yes I've been randomly given a seat by a man on a bus/train plenty of times for no reason. I'm not pregnant , elderly nor do I have any physical disability.

I find it an innocent act of chivalry and my long term boyfriend does the same to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A young lad on a Dublin bus a few years ago got up and offered me his seat. He's lucky he didn't get a clip on the ear as i was only in my mis 60's then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Happened me not so long ago at a bus stop in Dublin. I sat beside a random lady and asked her when's it due?

She replied "I'm not pregnant".

I replied "I meant the bus you fat cow".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Not a hope, just because the person is a woman? Haha

Those days are long gone and rightly so with their general attitude these days.

now I do offer my seat to elderly or people that look like they could do with the seat regardless of gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If they are good looking i'll offer my knee to sit on.

Seriously though, no way would i offer my seat to any health able bodied adult, male or female. Id offer it to an old person or someone who looked like they really needed a seat like a heavily pregnant woman or someone with a disability or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A friend of mine does offer his seat to able bodied women. It comes across as creepy to me.

I would offer my seat to any person that appears to me to need it more than I do, but never just because they are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Offered a woman my seat once. She said “No thanks, I already have an audi”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Pregnant, old or disabled, anyone else and it comes across as creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If God had wanted women to sit, why would he give them legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This is exactly what came to mind too. Almost a bizarre version of hoping to strike up a chat (or more)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if a man in his 20's looked sick would ye give him your seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, I'm not sexist or ageist, so I offer my seat to no one.

Advertisement