Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoLoud Cash Machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair though, they own the stations, they could plug it every 5min if they wanted to.

As long as people keep listening and people keep entering it, then it'll continue. It'll stop when it isn't making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd take the odd punt on a horse or even (for my stupidity) buy a lotto ticket, though I wouldn't stand in a queue to buy one.

On the other hand my daughter doesn't gamble on horses, or the lottery, but I was surprised to learn she plays this game. I think it's insidious how it has such a captive market, and potentially deceptive in terms of being pitched as just a bit of fun, but may really be a money making racket.

My view would be that the law should regulate any competition for prizes open to the general public, or with say more than 20 people entered so they have to publish after each competition, a statement of income, payouts and profit. That's the only way to know what you are buying in to.

As to whether money making draws are an appropriate use for regulated radio/TV airwaves, that's a completely separate question which should be regulated separately in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

It bugs me that it's now the "Christmas Cash Machine" with a new jingle. Exact same competition though. They did the same with a "Summer Cash Machine".

Jaysus a lot of you upset how people spend their money? I don’t think anyones bankrupting themselves on a radio competition if they’re that inclined to gamble they’d choose something with more of a payoff (or higher chance).

gambling addicts are not addicted to gambling most of the time it’s the “winning”. When they’re putting in money with no return they lose interest, that’s why they favour the likes of online betting, scratch cards or slot machines. They have a higher payout %. The “cash machine” is very random and doesn’t even have a daily winner, let alone multiple daily chances to win. There’s no incentive for a gambling addict to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some of the people who won admitted they've entered every day for months.

So presumably there are thousands of others who haven't won that have played for months and months and spent hundreds of euro on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That’s the thing. They limit you to twelve entries per week so that’s €30 max per week spent. Some people spend more on coffee! If it bankrupts someone, they’ve likely got more financial problems than just they enter all the time

I can confidently say I spend more than €30 a week on coffee.

If every cup I bought came with a chance to win 10’s of thousands of euro would that mean I’m addicted to gambling? I’m just mad for coffee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Required to claim its a different time-limited draw under the licencing rules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 minutes an hour? Listen to TodayFM D&D were at least 20 minutes going on about it on the €100K day, and that wa only the first hour. Ringing other presenters to show how a phone is answered after 5 rings, in the name of Jeebus. Surely that counts as advertising, which is supposed to be limited?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Does anyone know today's amount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's not really about addiction per-se. It's more about people being ripped off and not knowing what they are buying into. If you're spending €30 a week on coffee, you know exactly what you're getting. If the coffee is not up to scratch in one place, you go somewhere else and so on. And you know the "investment" is not going to solve your financial woes.

With gambling there has to be some level of transparency about the odds. You get that with the lotto and there is some degree of transparency with horse racing too. I said in my last post that competitions for prizes should be regulated as gambling, but what I left out, was "competitions for prizes that cost money to enter". There is the odd radio competition where the show is offered a free prize and it's done on a free entry basis. That's the kind of vibe that these competitions have, but once money is charged to enter, it's a different ball game and should have different rules imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Trampas

€30 a week turns into €120 extra on your mobile phone bill which could be a big shock to someone as it builds up. Like them late tv game shows in England that got done for cleaning people out with the call in to win money and never getting through or answer isn’t obvious as it seems. Handing over €4 a day coffee is usually with cash or tap so money is gone there and then.

Each to their own but it needs some regulation behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't really care how much people spend on this rubbish, fools and their money. Just annoyed how this shite breaks up the flow with constant plugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My thoughts exactly.

Same as television with the constant lottery adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

most of my workmates now play it. whoever came up with the idea in Goloud deserves a good bonus as the amount of money its making for them is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They saw it on the Late Late and thought cha ching.

I suspect you need to look at the listenership for their stations and some significant percentage of that is playing this regularly. That might give some range estimate of the revenue they are pulling in. Anecdotal, but I was just speaking to a young person (Spin listener) who said she plays it once a week. The advertising of it is so pervasive, you have to assume this is happening. It really should be regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I enter occasionally. It doesn’t bother me at all. I listen to Newstalk from 8am-7pm with the exception of the lunchtime you know who program. I see it as a fee/ payment for the service which I’m more than willing to pay. I would pay 2.50 a day to listen to Pat Kenny alone and consider it a bargain. Why really should we receive the service for nothing? And yes I know there are adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

KPMG are there to oversee the Lotto draw. With the sums of money now involved in the 'Cash Machine' , is anyone keeping an eye on what is going on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You'd happily pay €650 per annum for Newstalk? That's excluding weekends.

To be fair they said they enter occasionally, not daily, so they could be paying any amount. But it’s their money so does it really matter if they want to enter daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

"I would pay 2.50 a day to listen to Pat Kenny alone" is what stood out for me. I just found it curious is all.

I just looked at the UK version of this competition and I noticed one curious thing. It costs £2 to enter by SMS, or else you can enter online for free. I wonder is that to avoid some aspect of regulation by claiming it's a free entry competition. The online entry makes you go through a few annoying captchas, which I presume is to stop automated entries, but they don't want to make it too easy to enter for free either 😋

And needless to say even that option isn't available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes. When you annualise spending, it alwasys looks stark. I probably spend about 500 euro on bars of chocolate every year.

I see the Irish Time and Indo are 2.40/2.50 daily now rising to nearly 4 euro for the weekend edition. What's the difference? I actually think 2.50 to listen to Newstalk all day is better value. We are just accustomed to listening to the radio for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭chilloutrelax

The wireless group of stations have started a similar giveaway.

It’s called Christmas Cash Stars and is more of a game as you have to identify 3 celebrity voices to get the money.

They're giving away €1,000 to the contestant who can guess one voice, €2,000 for two voices, and a €10,000 for all 3.

Also, €2.50 per text.

Liam Coburn on Q102 makes the call.

Do you hear the voices when they mention it on-air during the day or is it only when they make the call? Either way it’s a lot harder for a lot less money

Some interesting pieces of information from the terms of the Wireless groups competition:

When an Entrant enters the competition, they will receive a text message that invites them to take part in our 3-for-2 offer, whereby if they enter a second time within the same competition round, they will receive an additional entry at no extra cost.

Entrants can enter a maximum of 5 times throughout each entry period of the competition. We strongly advise against excessive use. (An entry period appears to be one day in the terms – eg 4:15pm Monday to 4pm Tuesday)

If the first random caller doesn’t answer, another random selection will be made up until a caller is contacted and a valid guess is recorded for that entry period. Prizes which haven’t been won will automatically rollover into the next entry period.

The competition runs across the Wireless Ireland network of stations which are Dublin’s FM104 and Q102, Cork’s 96fm and C103, Live 95 in Limerick and LMFM.

The call plays out between 4-5pm each day. Perhaps there’s been an increase in listeners for Bauer at 3pm daily so they’re trying to reclaim that audience at 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Butson

I've stopped listening to Newstalk since that bloody thing started. Annoying as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I think this is not right, in a radio channel you txt for 2.5 Euro and you have the chance to win tens of thousands, we have enough gambling problems in this country

Advertisement