Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoLoud Cash Machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Anyone remember the original cash giveaway.

Created by Big Bill Cunningham an American "radio doctor" for Sunshine radio.

It was free and you had to answer the phone with "I listen to the red hot sound of Sunshine 101"

Prize was £10,000 and that was in 1986. Listenership went into the stratosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not quite - superpirates Radio Nova and sister station Kiss FM had cash giveaways in the early 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They will never reveal that, as it'll give away exactly how much profit they are making out of this golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Spent about 1/2 hour discussing it because it is at record level of €90K.

Is there a KPMG style adjudicator making sure the phone numbers they are ringing are real?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,203 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

there probably should be !!

I'd love to know the % they are making off it. At the beginning, the roll overs were getting to 10k or so ...

I've no problem with gambling, but if the government have a problem with people betting on a few numbers on lotto draws where you actually know the odds, this seems like the wild west , so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Muller1991

No winner again today, Rolling over since last Friday, Could be well over €100,000 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Can you imagine how many have now entered this - and some mobile phone bills in December are gonna be big!!!

Would love to know the number of entries that they get and also how many from the same number - I know that we will never know, but still they must be making a packet.

Personally, I hate when I hear the presenters promoting it as its very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

There’s no point hating the presenters because they’ll all be told to sell it and you would assume it’s in their best interests to sell it well to keep the PD happy.

I think the cash amount for tomorrow is 110k? Has there ever been more cash given away on the radio before?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but shocked at the number of peeps who enter this competition and then ignore or miss phone calls for it. Especially consecutively.

It's almost as if they were not ringing entrants numbers????

• Registered Users Posts: 23 matrix mick

You say you're not one for conspiracy theories, but then float a stupid one anyway. Do you honestly think they would try something so brazen on a national radio station?

• Advertisement

I don't honestly believe they are fiddling it, and dialling fake numbers.

But I am very surprised how stupid some folk are. Why enter a competition if you don't intend to be around to answer the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Over €110,000 tomorrow. Doing a guaranteed winner

The pool of entries over the week with rollovers and including multiple entries per person where wanted must be at least 500,000 entries I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is why I asked whether or not there is an independent adjudicator supervising the competition. None is mentioned in the T&Cs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Things come up during the day that may not be expected. It could be any number of reasons like a client meeting or phone call, an issue with kids, a shower, doing laundry. I can think of many more reasons. This is why I don't enter

€111,111.11 today I believe, and that's just for one of the presenters advertising it online. No doubt if you entered previously and chose not to stop the daily reminder text messages, they would have texted you the amount to remind you to enter, or even enter twice for double the chance !!

very true, so many reasons to miss a call. I have often missed mobile calls after only a ring or two from my side, but the person calling saying it had been ringing a lot longer.

I've thought and said it from the very beginning, I think the Cash Machine promotes gambling. Its rammed down our throats a few times every single hour no matter what station you listen to (apart from RTE). I'm a Newstalk person and it really turns me off the station. Its cheap and particularly demeans shows like Pat Kenny Show ......where they regularly talk about the gambling problem in Ireland.... eh HELLO!!!??

I placed a few bets (which is what I call them!) from January to March this year but then changed phone providers from Three to An Post Mobile. Suddenly I couldn't text any of those prizeline numbers like 57557 or 53106! I rang An Post mobile and they said its because they block gambling and competition numbers as they are considered to promote gambling! I was actually relieved as the decision was made for me.

So no matter how big the number is I can't enter anyway as I can't text. So I take my few quid off and buy a lottery ticket, IF and WHEN I decide. The decision is mine, whereas the constant ramming down our airways of the "CASH MACHINE" is utterly addictive and coercive. If you play every day that's an extra €12.50 PER WEEK on your phone bill!! I can't understand why this is allowed on mainstream radio..... every hour on the hour, every day of the week!!

This is the way Bauer is going. They’ve done it in other countries and it’s obviously successful for them so it’s not going to stop. You sound incredibly wound up so why don’t you just listen to another station?

Or you could just ignore the cash machine? They spend what, three minutes an hour mentioning it?

3 minutes an hour, every hour, every day for almost 2 years, on every station on the Go Loud network. Its a bit hard to avoid.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's very easy to ignore though.

As others have highlighted, it's the cost of two six-line quick-picks for the Euromillions a week because there is a cap on entries.

I don't personally play it because I can't be arsed. I'm able to block it out on the radio because it's a short, 2-ish minute segment every hour and I don't pay any attention to it. You'd swear they talk about it for 10-15 minutes every time the way you go on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The whole Ray Foley show was just ruined by this today (been a while since I listened to the show in full). An awful lot of promotion for this, after nearly every song and feature. It really really does make you turn over to another channel. Once the call is done, the show settles down and goes into a great remix of songs.

Well it was (apparently) the biggest cash giveaway on the radio in Ireland ever. If you were presenting or producing a show and were about to give away over 100k, would you not be shouting about it? It was massive moment and very exciting to listen to. Anyone else would be shouting about it as well and let it change the flow of their show as a once-off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

But the giveaway wasn't just exclusively for him, and he wasn't the one making the call. You'd be able to listen to the same call across a multitude of radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The ray Foley show is ruined every day, by Ray Foley. Acting like a teenager making random irritating noises. I say make his entire show just a Cash Machine ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭plodder

I see the amounts involved have increased, so more people are playing it (or playing twice per draw) . I wonder what their profit is per draw.

€10000 for the winner , maybe €4000 or €5000 for themselves ?

I heard them crowing about the 100K winner the other day. I don't know why you would assume such a low level of profit for themselves though. There is no transparency about it at all. It could be 100K profit for all we know. We've no idea how many people enter each draw.

at least the bookmakers have a risk to take on, and you know the odds yourself as a customer. not with the cash machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

You have to imagine the Bauer share is more than the prize money given away. The whole objective is to make money (absolutely no issue or surprise with this, radio stations have been evolving SMS income over a number of years).

Having tested it in other markets I am sure they had a good idea what level of prize generate maximum SMS revenue, etc. I would expect 25-30% of amounts collected go to prizes, perhaps it was higher to begin with but surely the prize ratio drops as the concept gains hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is getting ridiculous, ongoing heavy plugging of the cash machine throughout the day on all the Bauer stations.

Nobody would mind the odd genuine competition here and there, but this goes way beyond that. It's a coordinated onslaught designed to extract maximum cash from listeners.

I can only assume the presenters are forced/enticed to plug it. Maybe they get a comission. I think they should be ashamed though - it's pure gambling and they are hyping it up to the best of their ability.

Cheap, tacky, trash. Embarrassing for radio.

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

It depends heavily on whether the Cash Machine is in fact gambling.

Bauer describe it as a competition that is entered and played/ it is designed as a game that is won through skill, not through luck (ironically you likely need a lot more luck to ever be called in the first place than you will need skill to call but a remembered number).

Advertisement