Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoLoud Cash Machine

Options

Comments

They must be making a killing as the pot grows pretty quickly.

I'd imagine they're required to have some details of odds of winning/how much goes into the jackpot on the website, but they should really be required to state it on air.

I would also hope there are limits on how much someone can "play"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Be smarter if they had a deal with 48 phone network. You can't enter on that network. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Me too, cannot stand the station now. Used to love it years ago. Insufferable presenters now on most shows. Jingles played at every possible opportunity. Radio is finished the way they are carrying on. Non stop forced advertising, throw in an outrage topic to get you texting in as well. Spotify music the only way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Has anyone noticed that if you enter, it's just for the one day now. It used to be that if you entered on Friday, you'd be in for that day and the entire next week. Granted the winning amount has increased, but it means that more people will enter more than once a week...more income for them.

Terms and conditions:

https://www.todayfm.com/win/tcs-1368240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ah jaysus, they kept that one quiet, sneaky gits. Hadn't even noticed they'd stopped saying it until you mentioned it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,036 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It doesn't say that

Where there has not been a winner, there will be a rollover and we reserve the right to announce a new Prize for the next Draw. The Prize will not be lower than the Prize for the previous Draw. All entries from the completed Draw, and any previous Draws, where no winner was declared, will automatically be eligible for the next Draw. Entrants do not need to enter again in order to be eligible but are able to do so if they would like to increase their chances.

The pot used to begin at about 10k, increase if no winner, where there was a winner go back to a 'low' amount. Now, it's 50k, goes up to 60k, even if it was won the previous day.

In the T&Cs, states entry covers 1 day only:

The first Entry Period will open Monday November 28th 2022 at 7:00am and close Monday November 28th 2022 at 3pm.

Following this first Entry Period, entries to the Competition will open and close as follows (individually an “Entry Period”, together the “Entry Periods”):

Monday: opens at 3:05pm on Friday , closes at 3:00pm on Monday

Tuesday: opens at 3:05pm on Monday, closes at 3:00pm on Tuesday

Wednesday: opens at 3:05pm on Tuesday, closes at 3:00pm on Wednesday

Thursday: opens at 3:05pm on Wednesday, closes at 3:00pm on Thursday

Friday: opens at 3:05pm on Thursday, closes at 3:00pm on Friday

Any entries received before the Start Date or after the End Date (as stated above) will be invalid but you may still be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It was always that way. If you entered on a Friday, you were entered until the next winning call happened. They don’t do calls on the weekend so it was Monday at the earliest that you’d have a winner.

I don't think we're going to agree on this. I believe it used to be- if you're in on Friday, you're in for all of next week too. They mentioned that multiple times. Don't mention it anymore, which is what drew my attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They say something like “if you’ve entered since 5pm on Tuesday,” then that’s because there was a rollover. The entry period continues until it’s won so you can be entered for a few days but there’s still only one prize across those few days. You just haven’t heard them saying “you’re still in to win if you’ve entered since 5pm on whatever day” because it was won a few days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭standardg60

Wandering into the spar the other morning i noticed that different stations have different text entries, play for Newstalk and cash for the other station i heard. Clearly this is to enable them to identify what station people entered from, and allow them to spread the calls depending on who you listen to and keep everyone happy. There is nothing random here.

Listening to Newstalk earlier Barry Dunne encouraged everyone to listen out for the new amount on the hard shoulder, he is not on Newstalk, so obviously recordings are made for each station involved.

I would assume they use different words so they can see how many entries each station has and at what times, not so they can fix it and give each station a certain amount of winners. It’s not like it makes a difference what station the winner came from.

100,000 and doesn't answer the phone. lol, idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would think the different play words, along with the time of text, allows them to also measure which presenter is best at promoting the competition.

I see they are proudly saying today that the current amount is the biggest ever prize on Irish radio.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,036 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It was never that that way. It was always "you're entered until it's won"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,030 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I play my own Cash Machine game now.

I randomly turn over the radio to TODAY Fm , and If there isn't a song playing, see how long it takes for them to mention the CM.

Let's just say it's a very short amount of time usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It would be interesting to know how often it gets a mention on the other music-driven Bauer Media stations ("GoLoud Network of Stations"!), i.e. 98FM, Spin1038 and SpinSW. I think it just gets mentioned about once an hour on Newstalk.

I just change constantly for any talking or ad breaks.... sometimes i forget and be raging.

Except for Foley. I like foley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd imagine the stations themselves would kick up if none of their listeners ever received a call.

It's similar to when stations ask you to 'text your name and where you're from' when entering competitions in order to keep their whole listenership range happy.

A few years ago the National Lottery ran a 'live draw' for either 100k or a million which was to take place during the Rose of Tralee Festival. There wasn't a live draw, the winner was just announced, and amazingly they were from Tralee. It was discussed on Liveline when a rather irate (deservedly) caller rang in to complain. A lottery spokesperson explained that the draw had taken place 'in the presence of a Garda sergeant' so nothing to see here!

Sure look at Daily Million. You'd want to be a nutter to play it.

I literally turned on the radio about 10min when I walked out into the kitchen, and within 1sec the dj said "and what a day we had on the Cash Machine today".

Perhaps it's confirmation bias, or perhaps they just talk about it endlessly?

And also, when this thing started, the daily amounts were quite often under €5000. Now they are all big amounts. Wonder was this a tactic at the start to see what sort of interest there was? Now they are creaming so much money in they can afford to start the daily amount after a win quite high?

Probably using the Euro Millions big prize mentality. If its €20mill "naw I'll not bother with it". But stick it at €130m, half of Europe has a punt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

you cant' play on An Post mobile either, its a blocked number for texting, I rang An Post about it, something to do with "gaming and gambling" policies they have.

You should thank An Post, they are saving you money.

and I would also say this is the main reason Newstalk listening figures have jumped this year, its nothing to do with their programmes , content, or their presenters. Its because of the Cash Machine. Its a marketing ploy to keep them at the top.

I do! They've saved me a fortune, not being actually able to play takes the pressure off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

But all the Bauer Media stations are running this. Does that mean all their listenerships have gone up too, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

It is ironic, you turn on FM radio, one station is talking about how to get you out of gambling addiction and the next station is trying to get you into gambling addiction

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to see if stations outside of Bauer have had a dip from 3-5pm when the cash machine call and new cash amount are being given

Advertisement