Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland the land of taxes and endless "fees"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

Absolutely there are alot of decent paying multinationals now in a real struggle against one and other to get people into roles..

It's hard not to feel that alot of this mess is created by the government simply getting away with too much, we are very resiliant as a nation to hardship and it's nearly detrimental to us we put up with far more than we should, I genuinely believe the government knows they can get away with little bits at a time and they just keep chipping away with little fees here and there it's death by a thousand fees/taxes for the average person.

Like low income families have to be having life and death trying to make ends meet these days, its sad to see and doesn't have to be like this but greed is winning out in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Yeah, you still live in a violent crime riddled hole though. But I'm sure your extra cash will come in handy for you to stem the bleeding out from gunshots after nipping down to the shops.

In recent times, car tax was reduced, income tax was reduced and various credits/bands increased. VAT was reduced for certain products.

It's not all increases.

If FG had a majority I'm sure income taxes would be further reduced.

This is exactly what I'm talking about the accumulative effect of the sneaky taxes and fee's when you add it all up, the tax and money thats taken from us every year before a penny is ever earned is ridiculous, the working man is always on the edge and never ahead and it seems that where the system intends us to be, should you do over time to get a head? butchered with a higher tax bracket it really is tax at every turn.

They give it with one hand and take it back with the other, when one tax goes down another "fee" is created or another tax is raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Completely agree toll bridges anyone. the stats here for Irelands tax is with regard to our GDP and our GDP is swayed by our MNCs we should be looking at our GNP as the correct measure. If you live in Ireland and try and do things the right way you get bent over and raped for money, while those on the dole keep on doling and the lads in the public sector continue the watching of the clock, the people in power for the last 2/3 decades have made an absolute b0ll0x of our finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jesus you need to get out more. Zero crime where I live. Zero!

i haven’t locked my door in 3 years. My car is open 24/7.

you sound bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think there's another aspect to this. It's not about deserving, or undeserving, immigrants at all: it's the model of country we want.

This really goes back to Mary Harney 20 years ago, when she told us that "the economy" needed 40k (or was it 50k) immigrants per annum for five years.

I don't want to live in an "economy" but in a country. However some politicians, bought and paid for or just foolish, think Ireland should be a tax-free platform for MNCs to use willy-nilly.

That might have been fine when all we had was enormous emigration - but times have changed, and today we should be looking at each MNC from the point of view that they make a positive contribution to our society, or not. And if not, then we don't want to encourage them, unless they pay enough tax to make it worth our while.

But if they don't make a positive contribution, and they don't pay lots of tax either, then let them look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And yet somehow DP become peanuts compared to what government is spending on ukrainians.

I'm not the sad ass that compares how much money he makes in one country versus another and boasts about it on the Internet.

Still though, little old Ireland will still be here when you get older and the insurance company starts denying your medical claims and you need to return home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

To pay 50% direct income tax in Ireland means a massive income, approx 1 million per year.

Good to see you understand the difference between marginal deductions and actual deductions.

Maybe you and your colleagues could apply the same principle when calculating the actual deductions you pay for your pension and stop pretending it is 15%+

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The situation you describe applies in the case of people with children, but not really to childless people.

I agree, the duration of JSA should be limited.

Who is boasting? Only one with an issue is you.

Now VAT @23% on anything outside of food and kids clothes? VRT? Anything else your FG buddies are screwing people on? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It kind of boils my blood gov supporters chiming in with look at the OCD as if that takes into account of all the stealth taxes sure were not taxed on the metrics they want to use. You can't go anywhere in Ireland without some kind of stealth tax applied. Mup, Sugar tax that one makes me laugh sugar drinks are cheaper in my shop than none sugar. The list goes on. Health insurance another one you can end up in the public system so what's the point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

To be fair, you were prattling on about your friends private jet for some reason. Regardless, you won't find many who are going to want to emulate anything to do with the US economic system in this country outside of maybe the top fifth of earners. Ireland outranks the US in most international metrics anyway as do most other high-tax countries.

Your income tax in Ireland is your baseline tax the minimum you will pay that year.. then you have to pay household tax, motor tax, vrt, vat,fuel, electricity ect

The tax in Ireland is far higher realistically than what it is at face value in statistics vs other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Genuinely sorry you lost your job shesty, not a pleasant experience for anyone - including the migrants, refugees and other Irish people you had to share a queue with, all of whom likely also had bills and commitments to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Taxing your salary at 50% over a pittance of an income, to fund people living a higher living standard than many working people is insane! That rate should be dropped 2% a year for the next 5 years...

What will we actually get ? Increased fuel allowances for people in their free luxury apartments, more e600 allowances for them too... free gp visits etc... more bonus welfare payments... they should give them free merc at Christmas too. Sure doesn't the worker down the road busting his ass, have one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's not true.

There is a housing crises in the location they picked in Germany also.

But they still went with it.

We also have no military expenditure and a relatively very small elderly population versus other countries. I'd laugh if the corporation tax golden goose ever shat itself. The endless money tree that they shake down, to fund the insane waste here...

They would have to make hard decisions, like cutting a fiver from the worlds most OTT welfare payments...

Thats a big blanket term... the scale of it, is way worse here...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't really know if it is worse here or not.

A bit like this thread people claim we are the most taxed in Europe when we are not, others claim that we have the worst housing crises in Europe when we may not.

But housing was not a big factor in the Galway Intel decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree with your anger but your salary is not taxed at 50%. Earning just over 100k last year I paid about 34-35% in effective tax. Unless you're earning in the 500k range your effective tax won't be above 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Simple. It's a welfare state so the working man has to pay for it. The level of handouts here is unreal, tell someone from another country what you can get here for not working they'll be dumbfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

This argument needs to move to what you take home in your pocket after paying out all taxes, all stealth charges and paying for services that should be covered in what a working person pays out in income tax. We pay income tax at a very very low level (40k when the higher rate kicks in) and at a very high rate and that is under any comparison world wide. The fact is our welfare competes with low paid jobs and our low paid jobs with handouts from the government and the low level of tax they pay compete with average paying jobs and the high rates of income tax and cost of actually going to work cuts the legs off from anyone earning more or working more in OT due to the very punitive % of tax you pay on your days work. This is a fact in this county and there is no getting around it.

So what do you come home with after paying out

PAYE, PRSI, USC, VAT, Carbon tax, rent/mortgage, oil/gas for heating, Plastic bag levies, toll bridge, Property tax, stamp duty, electricity standing charges, Health insurance, Home insurance, Life insurance, bin charges, DIRT, CGT, CAT,VRT, doctor/dental/hospital bills.

A lot of people with all of the above that we are made pay and a lot we pay twice for such as medical insurance and then a visit to the doctor and we pay 4 times for the use of our roads as in we pay income tax, then motor tax, then VAT and carbon tax on petrol/diesel and then we pay toll bridges, like how much more are people expected to give.

Personally after all of the above is paid and before a scrap of food or a thread of clothing is put on my families back I am down 85% of what I make. So when shopping for either its Aldi and Pennies all the way, my wallet goes into cardiac arrest if I step anywhere near the likes of Brown Thomas or Marks and Spenser's for Clothes or food.

Anyone arguing we don't pay enough in this country has an agenda or are too rich to care.

Advertisement