Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland the land of taxes and endless "fees"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

Absolutely agree, living in Ireland for alot of people its survival, when you apply all that you mentioned there and basic living needs to the national average wage.. it's a horror show it's in every sense of the word survival!

The system in this country is rotten to the core and there's a strong under current of greed keeping it going.

You did not list mandatory taxes though that's where it all fell apart

Out of curiosity do you think the current system in Ireland is a good one and a fair one?

I think what the poster is saying is all things considered we have scandanavian level mandatory fees / taxes / tribute / forced donations (call them whatever you like) to be paid to the gov.

You can split hairs on it all you like there is no denying what our gov takes in a year is up there with some of the highest taxed countries and what we get in return is a disgrace. Charged a premium for 3rd world levels of access to healthcare and a housing crisis with no end in sight.

It boggles the mind how anyone can even attempt to defend our current system or gov.

Out of curiosity do you think the current system in Ireland is a good one and a fair one?

What system? I'm going to take a guess you mean the Tax system. Not particularly, no but it is not all bad.

Some examples, LPT is one of the fairest taxes around the world in terms of property taxes. Its very well structured.

Same with the USC.

PAYE needs an overhaul but imho it would be better replaced by something more akin to the USC

And so on. No system is perfect though

Charged a premium for 3rd world.........

Only someone who has never spent much time in a third world country would utter such rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Ah for Christ's sake, you live in a country that is consistently ranked in the top 10 countries to live on earth. Just because you find things shite here doesn't make that any less true.

Maybe you should take the energy you're wasting by whingeing on here and actually go out and better your situation if you hate things so much. Compared to most people on this planet you've been given almost every advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I haven’t read this thread but just need a quick fact-check: when Ireland and Northern Ireland join to become a new country, does that mean all existing ps contracts are null and void. That would be a good place to start change. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

As I’ve said.

No accountability. No one gets sacked unless they murder someone on the job.

No one cares.

Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

In other countries private individuals/companies dip your pocket with the same free rein. You need a Swiss bank account to cover it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Its not Scandinavian level. There aren't generous dole payments for instance. You don't get six months paternity leave National pensions isn't amazing , you want to also invest your own pension too. I mentioned the health service , affordable housing subsidies and subsidised energy. specifically as being something very beneficial. Living in Ireland again it's a real slap in the face to experience the wreck of the health services.

There's no CGT so investing in stocks and business is very common where it seems average folks in Ireland are almost all onto property only. That's right some countries have no CGT whatsoever, they calculate your tax on your total declared income instead. Income tax is reduced very significantly by rebates calculated by how many dependents you have. Theres variations on this model across Asia. Anyway , this is why people don't like posting too much information cos they dont want to be harrassed regarding their privacy .

Naming the country will compromise your privacy? 🤨 It's not the worst excuse I've heard on boards I suppose..

Maybe if you were so worried about being "harassed" you shouldn't have said anything about this magical country and then no one would have felt the need to invade your "privacy".

• Advertisement

Honestly you are a right pain in the arse. Give it up.

Look, you either made the place up or it's somewhere like Malaysia where 30% of all government revenues come from a single state owned oil company. I'm quite sure your aware that Ireland is mineral poor and will never have that kind of income from just pumping stuff out of the ground. Either way, comparing a country like that to a country like ours is completely pointless and you know it.

Post edited by sameoldname on

I'm quite sure you are getting spiteful now.

Some flipping cheek to call me a moron.

Spiteful git.

I'm actually trying to have a discussion on taxes but apparently I lack the security clearance needed to know what country we're discussing.

You have a personality problem go see a shrink.

Just on the 3rd world comment.

Agree there is a lot of hyperbole and little relevance ushally trying to compare to an amorphous 'third world'.

But it probably is true that you could get much quicker access to primary and hospital based health services in most developing countries than in Ireland by availing of their private clinics and hospital networks. Those countries usually have private health services available and ready for patients with money. Whereas in Ireland you just can't get access sometimes for love nor money. It's a terrible broken system in terms of getting timely medical treatment.

I dont think they want to replace the current system and why would they they get the instant benefits of gathering up massive amounts of tax and get away with putting **** all back into the country its corrupt as ****.

And you are talking like someone that has next to no experience with the healthcare system here in Ireland, but then again im not surprised when you previously advocating for the highly successful home retrofit scheme (Thats sarcasm by the way as you need everything clearly state in black and white..) and not to mention the good auld everyone cycles everywhere idea! If you are going to take shots at people make sure you haven't spewed a landfill worth of rubbish in the previous page!

We pay a premium here in multiple ways for a healthcare system that is notoriously difficult to access. Open your eyes have a look at the set up of hospitals and how many regions hospitals like Limerick are covering for.

The healthcare system is one you could throw a trillion into and it still wouldn't be good enough. Such is the nature of the beast.

Thing is though, if you want to be able to walk into any hospital and get immediate service for every ailment then your going to have to pay a lot more taxes.

It's not possible to have low taxes and super amazeballs services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yeah you are a once off , why didnt you stay in the private sector then? The fact is per head the public sector is paid over 20% more. I didnt come up with that figure and the gap is widening with the pay rises this year and next year. The majority of private companies cannot afford pay rises on top of the cost of living and energy issues as well as being locked out of borrowing due to higher interest rates. Only the state has the capacity to borrow ad infinitum to pay for this generous pay rises on top of increments and a pension that the the majority of the private sector can only dream about affording

Yes, the tech bubble has burst and there are very few people who are running a company who have the affordability to afford pay rises under the current cost of living pressure. A lot of SMEs/domestic based companies are cutting and slashing everything in order to stay afloat. You will see it as you walk up and down high streets the number of businesses closing is ramping up and our liquidation numbers are way up from this time last year.

• Advertisement

Here's the thing as well, life expectancy here is 82.3 years. That's the exact same as the Netherlands, New Zealand and Luxembourg and higher than places like Germany (81.3), the UK (81.3) and Denmark (80.9). Its also far higher than a place like Malaysia (76.2).

So despite the well known problems with the health service here we seem to be pretty good at keeping people alive. Not withstanding that we're one of the fattest countries in Europe.

We do in our hole we pay first world rates of tax for a third world service. A lot of countries pay a lot less per head than we do for our blackhole that is the HSE and their results are so far ahead its shocking. So its the nature of our HSE not healthcare the money is just p1ssed away

Anecdotes aside, that doesn't answer the question I asked. Seeing as now 2 of you have made the claim it should be easy to prove if it's true.

No its not as its tax by stealth people need to wake up to the fact that we pay a very high price for what we receive in this country with regards to what are considered public services and the poster you responded to is correct you have to add in what other charges we get asked to pay for in this country when it comes to a comparison only then can this notion of us being a low tax country be addressed. This is all about what level of public services we get for what we pay and we pay as much if not more for our public services than the Scandinavians and our services are horrendously sub par when you compare

Once again we pay one of the highest rates per head in the world for our healthcare and our results are down near the end. Why can other countries do it more effectively, efficiently and with less expense. Answers on the back of a postcard please?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We earn 150k combined a year and do not pay 50% of our income in tax. My personal tax contribution, earning around 100k last year, was 34% and that includes some USC/PRSI as well as BIK tax (and reductions for pension contributions). Someone earning 40k doesnt pay close to 50%.

Well I am sure you have heard about the issues with big tech laying off staff?? If not you must of been off planet. This will also have a colossal impact on our corpo tax. Not to mention world wide tech has started to really up with regards to layoffs. (which Ireland due to its open economy and tech/pharma dependencies will probably feel it harder than most other countries in Europe)

Worldwide

Snapshot of Ireland

liquidations up 50% in the first half of the year.

We will see what the figure for liquidations/closures are up by at the end of the year. Also once xmas is gone after a lot of companies have got their xmas pay day a lot of companies hanging on by a thread will be hitting the wall as Jan/Feb are notorious for spend falling off a cliff and energy prices and inflation are staying stubbornly high so I cannot see how a lot of them will stay in business.. Companies that pay lower paid staff cannot pay their staff a pay rise or compete with the dole freebies so there are staff shortages in lower paid jobs meaning companies are cutting days off, I have seen restaurants, take always and bars going to 4/5/6 days a week. I am sure if you looked down in your local town you may see the same.. The medium paid jobs are now under pressure due to the government supports that are given to the lower paid jobs and higher paid jobs are being heavily hit with 51% tax after anything earned above 40k sure why would you do any O.T if the government reaches into your back pocket and takes over half. The evidence is there to look up on the net at your own leisure. If you find anything to the contrary please enlighten us all here I could do with some good news with regards how bad things are looking in Ireland. I mean it must be said the closure of 2 main (Ulster, KBC) banks this year is really going to hit hard when the other 3 monopolize private companies financing.

A lot of countries pay a lot less per head than we do for our blackhole that is the HSE and their results are so far ahead its shocking.

Can you list them? And include how much they pay and evidence of their results that show their results are so far ahead

our services are horrendously sub par when you compare

In what way? Which services? By what measures are you doing the comparison? Have you any data to show this comparison?

• Advertisement
Advertisement