Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

• 15-11-2022 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Mine would be:

Encouragement and promotion from an early age and normalising it. There’s no real reason mommy has to drive a tank with a 3 piece suite to drop Fintan and Sadbh to school. What’s wrong with a cargo bike with child seats? Older kids (ie, 9 and older) could cycle themselves. Growing up my cousin, my sister and I were walked to school by my mam or aunty and we walked ourselves as we got older, when I was 9 I started cycling myself. I’m 31 now.

Allow helmet cam footage to be more expeditiously used to call bad driving to task.

A reasonable expectation that your bike will still be there and not vandalised when you return.

Enforce misuse of bus lanes and bike lanes unmercifully - zero tolerance.

Encourage large supermarkets who don’t already do so to provide bike parking suitable for cargo bikes. My local has a HUGE car park with no bike parking whatsoever. A single car space could probably fit space for 5 or so cargo bikes.

Abolish VAT on cycling gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Very broad assumption on the "mommies" in their tanks. Main reason why its hard to get families out of cars and on bikes is convenience really!

I'm not a "mommie with a tank" just a dad with Skoda! But I am tasked with the creche and school drop off's and my wife does the pick up's for our 3 kiddies. It would be simple not practical to get my toddler to creche, 2 older kids to school and then actually get myself to the office at a reasonable hour all on cargo bike! when the kids get older and if a proper cycle lane was implemented then yes they would cycle but until such point its the car for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

As well as that, it’s very difficult to even get a crèche nearby these days.

we really need to bring back school cycling lessons, I was meant to do mine “next year” when I was in fifth class but the recession came and they were all cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

As long as the school cycling lessons don’t tell the children to “keep in off the road”, “cycle single file”, “don’t block the road”.

Because we all know that’ll probably happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Better infrastructure, proper separated cycle lanes all the way from the suburbs to city centers.

There's a functional difference between roads for cars and streets for bikes and pedestrians, and this should be reflected in their design. Shared infrastructure should be avoided and where it exists it should be pedestrian focused, not car or bike focused

It works out better for cars as well since they don't have to be as aware of pedestrians and cyclists

Secure bicycle parks in the city, you'll probably have to pay for them but that's the cost of proper security

Change planning laws to ensure offices and businesses provide showers and changing rooms, as well as drying facilities for cycling gear

Proper cleaning of cycle lanes, I was walking down grand canal recently and the cycle path was a swamp of fallen leaves which made it an ice rink for bikes

But.... there's also got to be some more responsibility for cyclists

Helmet laws, I know there was some study in Australia that showed bike use went down with helmet laws, but I would propose that people who don't wear helmets shouldn't be on bikes. I think it's something that needs to be normalised from a young age so people just automatically wear helmets

And on the spot fines for cyclists behaving badly. I know it's a minority of cyclists, but it happens. I've seen cyclists skipping lights, zipping in and out of moving cars without any signalling and whizzing along crowded footpaths

Cyclists who do that are a danger to others as well as themselves, and there needs to be a deterrent for that behaviour

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The only way to increase cycling is to build high quality, Dutch style, fully segregated bike lanes.

Build it and they will come. I’ve seen it myself over the last year with the new bike lane on Griffith Avenue. While far from a perfect Dutch style bike lane, it is still a big improvement and what was there before .

The result? Massive, very noticeable increase in kids cycling to school, parents with cargo bikes, parents cycling with younger kids, etc. Big success IMO and it isn’t even complete yet and it is only an ok example of a bike lane.

Also lots of parents walk their kids to school too on this road. Imagine that, build a nice high quality, wide footpath and bike lane and lots of people use it!

Very simply, give people good, safe infrastructure and they will happily use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that cycling in towns/cities can be very dangerous. Everyone seems to be rushing somewhere. If there were proper routes that were safe i'd go back to cycling myself even at senior citizen age because i used to enjoy it. Now I find that the roads are full of people trying to prove that either the cyclist or the motorist is in the wrong and I don't want to get into that so i'll continue walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Agree re segregated lanes. Make cycling less dangerous by separating it.

Also punish rogue/ bad cyclists who run red lights. This shows people that bicycles are considered serious road vehicles, not toys, and protects pedestrians.

How many parents are doing as you describe in an unnecessarily large car?

How many people doing so could easily use a mixture of walking / cycling / public transport? Not for everyone, I know but those options are definitely under-utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stop the deliberate Government policy which creates the adversarial environment between motorists and cyclists, including the catastrophic DMURS policy which has reduced shared space and created conflict points.

I cycled 9kms to and from school 30 years ago and for 6 years never had a serious incident because there was space to take avoiding action.

I drove through a good chunk of south Dublin City last night for the first time in a while and was horrified at the plastic bollard pollution which has taken over in places like Ranelagh, Kilmainham, Islandbridge and the Phoenix Park. They trap cyclists, reduced visibility for all, visually pollute historic areas and because they aren't maintained right, end up as filthy broken hazards - mainly for cyclists and pushchairs!

The way to encourage cycling is to improve cycle parking, lockers and shower facilities at destination work places and schools, to introduce cycle education for all young people in early school.

The other even more important step is to prioritise a passenger led revolution in public transport to make use of a bike to meet a bus, tram or train an efficient, frequent and safe option for all from 12 to 92.

The OP talks about helmet cams. This presupposes that the wearing of cycle helmets is widespread enough to make it viable. It isn't. Make helmets as compulsory as seat belts in cars and we'll talk about helmet cams.

And he talks about zero tolerance for bus and cycle lane violations. Interesting....

This is an extract of a montage of a cycleway scheme proposal for a number of roads approaching Dun Laoghaire town, which was approved by DLR Council last night.

This particular location is Mounttown Road Lower. The proposal is for a lovely two-way segregated cycle route, but the corridor limitations mean that now the traffic lanes that remain will scarcely be wide enough for two buses or HGVs to pass without losing mirrors or paint and the householders of these 90 odd year old houses along the route, will now find accessing and leaving their own driveways almost impossible due to reduced space and lane segregation and the possibility for visitor and carer parking close to the very much older residents that live there, is removed.

If you want to encourage cycling, stop holding it up as the cause of so much misery and negativity in communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Plastic bollards aren’t for cyclists. They’re for the drivers that won’t obey traffic markings.

I’m biting my lip to not respond to the helmet suggestions, which are well covered on the megathread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Labre34, I haven't looked at the details of the plan, but the above cycle path in Dun Laoghaire, looks like a high quality cycle path that would actually greatly increase cycling!

I find it very sad that a thread about encouraging cycling is already fully with anti cycling suggestions which have been proven time and time again to actually discourage cycling!

It really isn't difficult, Amsterdam is a world leader in cycling, with 40% of residents cycling every day and it is a very similar city to others in terms of size, density and climate, so a great example for us to follow.

Enforced helmets and nonsense like that. Go to Amsterdam and you won't see almost any helmets, no one needs one. It isn't needed when you have high quality infrastructure that safely separates you from cars and buses.

I can't say for certain, but that Dun Laoghaire plan above actually looks like the type of cycling infrastructure they have in Amsterdam, the type of infrastructure which actually makes cycling safer and encourages more people to cycle.

“Plastic bollards aren’t for cyclists. They’re for the drivers that won’t obey traffic markings.”

Exactly, Griffith Avenue is a great example of this. It might surprise many people, but there has been a cycle path on parts of Griffith Avenue for more then 20 years, but you wouldn’t know it from all the cars parking on the cycle path, thus making it completely unusable.

Only by initially putting the stupid plastic bollards in place and now a concrete step/barrier, do we actually have a useable bike path that cars don’t park in.

A bike path now used by children, parents, families, commuters, etc. every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mandatory helmet wearing is actually a deterrent to cycling. Leave it as it is i.e. at the cyclists discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I hadn't cycled in the better part of two decades until moving back to Dublin from London at the start of this year. I can safely say the plastic bollard "pollution" was fairly key in allowing me to feel I could take it back up and sustain it to the level I've been able to. Can't imagine I'm the only one.

More often than not I'd reckon the problem many drivers have with the "pollution" is that it forces them to slow down, mind their lane and deters them from abruptly swinging in front of cyclists at junctions as they otherwise see fit to do. The city has been aggressively aligned for the past 70 or more years towards facilitating as many cars as possible travelling as fast as possible through it, to the detriment of basically everyone else. Tough sh*t that approach is being reversed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'd say the numbers unnecessarily doing it are not a high as you think. Unfortunately 99% of Irish towns and cities just do not have great/or any public transport or cycle infrastructure.

Take a look at big towns like Swords or Santry or any town on the DART line and let me know.

Post edited by b v on

Congratulations.

But there is no justifying this mess.

Merely a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay, first off Santry and Swords aren't on the DART line 😉

And there's still a swarm of cars leaving Swords every morning to get to various destinations because the majority of people who live in Swords seem to work somewhere else

There's good bus connections into the city, but cycling to the city from Swords wouldn't be much fun because there's no decent cycle lanes that I know of

So I don't really get what you were going for with using Swords as an example

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

I beg to differ. The majority of urban car journeys are between 2 and 8 km in distance. I spend every day transporting myself and/or the kids to work/school or various activities and I am genuinely baffled why anyone would willingly sit in lines of traffic as I swan past unhindered. Sure, not everyone's situation means they can abandon the car but plenty could however they just can't seem to see past the perceived comforts and convenience of the car. I might take the car out once or twice every two weeks and even at that I often regret not opting for the bike when faced with another line of barely shifting traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

One would assume the ugly plastic bollards will be in place until Irish motorists mature and learn there should be a fair and equitable sharing of road space with more efficient but also more vulnerable forms of traffic. So hopefully they will be gone some time this century.

• Advertisement

Who said that were on the DART line? No one here suggested they were.

And that’s exactly what this thread is about…. Encouraging cycling, creating infrastructure and changing that.

There's good bus connections into the city, but cycling to the city from Swords wouldn't be much fun because there's no decent cycle lanes that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Whatever is done, it needs to start for people at a very young age. People in their 20s upwards just won’t change, no matter what happens

Ugh, eco-ablism. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My vote would be for compulsory identification/registration for all cyclists.

We cannot continue to grow cycle numbers and still have the situation where the some random person on a bike can come along in traffic and damage a car or cause an accident and simply cycle away from the scene unidentified.

I've seen terrible road manners from cyclists and when it's goes tits up and they have a near mis with a car, the usual response is to kick the car and abuse the driver.

I drive but cycle for exercise and would have no issue at all with having to go online, provide a few simple details and obtain a unique reg which could then be displayed while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Far more cyclists don’t obey traffic markings or the road traffic act in general. Traffic lights and their adherence to stopping for them when legally necessary is pathetic.

you won’t normalise and encourage cycling in this climate..The average number of wet days (days with more than 1mm of rain) ranges from about 150 days a year along the east and south-east coasts, to about 225 days a year in parts of the west.

We don’t live in a Mediterranean climate… if we did this debate would have some credibility but when you don’t have appropriate weather most of the year, enough safe cycling infrastructure and or the ability in many cases to add it to existing roadways…..

So an uptake in cycling ? Not on any major scale and the cost of procuring cars is about to drop by 2.5-3.0 %

How often have you reported terrible road manners by drivers to Gardai?

What percentage of drivers break speed limits? How often do you break the speed limit yourself?

The weather in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brussels, northern Germany is essentially the same as here …. And look at their cycling numbers.

We don’t live in a Mediterranean climate… if we did this debate would have some credibility but when you don’t have appropriate weather most of the year, enough safe cycling infrastructure and or the ability in many cases to add it to existing roadways…..

• Advertisement

Advertisement