Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022- Round 21 Brazilian GP

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s not a mountain at all. Max f*cked over his team-mate when he had nothing to gain for it. Especially when that teammate did everything he could to help Max win two world championships.

You think Max shouldn’t show a bit of class and help Checo finish 2nd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭McFly85

Oh yeah look I think he will be rightly criticised, Checo has been a great No. 2 driver and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious reason for it. I hope the team stick the boot in and go all out next week to prioritise Checos race as best they can.

But the hyperbole around his true colours coming out etc is nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭thefa

Know from experience that a poorer quality webcam and select lighting does wonders for the crows feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, he is a double world champ, he helped him to one of those championships, he didn’t need his help this year at all.

Max doesn’t need to show “class”, he wants to get the best result for him. Simple as, that’s what No.1 drivers do, like Vettel, Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna.

What hyperbole? The fact he couldn’t give up two points when it made no difference to him shows him up for exactly who he is.

Again, it’s hilarious watching people trying to down play this.

Max is a dick, but you need to be a dick to get to the top of the sport. That stunt just confirms what level of a dick he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Horner told Channel 4 just yesterday Red Bull that they have never had their drivers finish 1-2 in the championship and he really wanted to achieve that. Hamilton has given positions back to Bottas before so its not unheard of from that camp.

Hamilton and Schumacher tried to help their teammates when the results didn’t matter to them but it does to their number 2. Hamilton in 2017 and Schumacher in 99.

Max was asked to give up one position, and he refused to do it despite the fact that Checo compromised his own race in Spain to help Max win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think it was more that RB f*cked Checo over at Spain and the Monaco win was to make up it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

One for the max simps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

He can be a dick all he wants, but at the end of the day it’s not his team, and he has to follow instructions. It’s RB racing, not MV racing. I’d be livid if I were CH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

And that concludes the mature unbiased race discussion.

See ye in the next race thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I agree, everyone know Max was a selfish brat before the race. He had never hid it

I agree with you completely.

Horner chatting absolute sh*te here saying that it’s behind them etc. That radio from Max wasn’t something that can be fixed with a shaking of hands.

I would have told him to go and sh*te if I were Checo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Great racing over the entire weekend on a great track with great fans. Russell was imperious throughout. Lewis had a really strong drive today despite having his race compromised very early. LeClerc was hilarious at the end, the fact he thought it was cool to even suggest that shows a serious lack of the top 6 inches. Max doing Max things yet again all day today. No surprise really but RB will be fuming. They pay him very very well to do a job.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭McFly85

When it comes to Max and Lewis whenever something happens it’s massively amplified to where they’re portrayed as some sort of pantomime villain, and it’s just tiring. Like he will be rightly criticised for this but people love to jump on anything to go on about how that person is practically evil.

Anyway, Verstappen has said he has spoken with the team about it and he will support Checo in AD. Judging from the interviews there has clearly been something on his mind for a while.

So now Karun has reminded me that Senna gave up a win for Gerhard Berger’s loyalty.

So Hamilton, Schumacher and Senna from the list by the Max simp earlier have helped their teammates.

Quite embarrassing from Max really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Looks like it will never be answered , why he didn't help Checo today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The longer term question is why would anyone want to help max in future? RBR may not be as dominant in future years, that number 2 seat is looking like pure poison again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Funny that you are trying to make Hamilton out as a saint lol.

cleary much more going on in the background and seems to go back to last year. Very disrespectful to his engineer and the team here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

It'd remind you of Ricky Bobby :D

"If you're not first you're last!"

Not everytime but he has given up a place to Bottas before, Schumacher has, Senna. Verstappen has not, and now Leclerc is back into 2nd in the championship and Red Bull have yet to achieve 1-2 in the drivers championship and Max might just have fucked that up for them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It was arséholey by Max hes champion and cant be caught, points meant more to Checo so help the teammate ffs.

It wasn't even like Schumacher giving up a win for Barrichello in USA '02 to help him get 2nd it was over non-podium places. Very silly.

Equally hilarious to see Lewis fans trying to now claim Max is Darth Vader/Thanos all along.

• Advertisement

Today was the first time ever that God Save The King has been played on a Formula 1 podium.

Someone else brought Hamilton into it saying that he does what Max did too, when fact is when Hamilton had nothing to play for he actually helped a teammate.

So the fact Max doesn’t do something even someone as selfish as Hamilton and Schumacher are capable of, what does that make Max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm a fan of Max, great driver but today was a d!ck move from him not giving the place back. Costs him nothing to give up the place and Checo has always done what was asked if him by the team.

I'd imagine Max will get a bit of a dressing down in the debrief.

Mercedes looked strong all weekend, hopefully a sign that they'll be back competing for wins next year.

Not sure how the stewards came up with the 5 sec penalty for Max, he was entitled to space at the point and Hamilton just cut him off.

No way hes getting away with that, will be behind closed door consequences for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

He essentially answered it with his reaction to the Monaco question.

It's all because of what he perceived to have happened in Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Schumacher was not in contention for the championship in 99, so that’s not comparable here.

All this faux outrage over absolutely nothing, it’s comical. Verstappen is the top driver in F1 right now, he doesn’t have to move over for anyone if he doesn’t want to, and it sounds like he let this team know that as well.

If Perez wants help, he should start by going faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

SM rumour that Perez admitted to deliberately crashing in monaco is why max didn't give up the place today

Yeah, they’ll need to reign that behaviour in and they’ll do it privately as they should. Max has a long career ahead of him and having a teammate you can rely on is important.

And RB had a bloody hard time finding that teammate. Max shítting on him will not be well recieved, not when it was literally pointless of Max to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Feel bad for Checo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Very silly from Max. Checo has a contract for 2023 and 2024 and Max could potentially need his help again.

I dont know if you know this but Max isn't in contention for the Championship this year, so it is comparable in that it was utterly pointless

Max is already champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Must say those Brazilian fans are great

No prizes for guessing what Checo is thinking from now on. I wouldn't mind but he's pretty much universally liked in and out of the paddock.

• Advertisement

We shall see next season if Perez needs to hold back a championship rival of Max's or let Max by again if what Max did today has consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Turns out they played the wrong audio by mistake. They played God Save the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Watched with a 2 hour delay so haven't caught up on everything here.

But wow, defended Max on here for years. Absolutely disgusted with that, after all Checo has done for him. Spoilt brat. Time to find someone else to cheer for😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So glad my predictions didnt all come true this time

Max was miles behind not ahead always makes for a better race 😁

George did Beat Lewis in fairness but if it wasnt for Max trying to fit a car in a closing gap it may have played out differently ah well, fair play to George great race/weekend for him glad he got that first win lewis drove a blinder too.

Ferrari didnt really Ferrari and finished ahead of the bulls.

I bet normal service will resume next week and Max and team verstappen will cruise to victory once again. At least we got a third team winning and 5th driver win/ second first time winner so that was a change from the normal, I wish Brazil was the closer instead of Abu boring Dhabi but sure money talks and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Serious question, As it was instrumental only, how is it different to God Save the Queen?

Although, I did think there was a little difference in the melody, just at the very end.

Did they change anything to make it different (musically), besides the name on the track (When there is no Voice)?

Max has the championship wrapped up, so therefore he has literally nothing to play for, just like Schumacher in 99.

And the lengths you're going to defend this because you backed yourself onto the Max wagon as someone who can do no wrong is just as comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah it's no surprise a mountain has been made of this molehill though, the media always latch onto any little thing they can to try and use to turn Verstappen into a pantomime villain, as they have done repeatedly the last few years.

It was a spectacular own goal from Red Bull though. Just like multi21, they made an unnecessary ask of their world champion driver to hand a result to his slower teammate, and just like that time, the driver refused because that's what champions do. Never in a million years would Mercedes have asked Hamilton to gift Bottas a result after a hard fought recovery drive having been rammed off early in the race, nor would Ferrari have asked similar of Alonso or Schumacher for example, because it's just a recipe for trouble. Red Bull's obsession with never favouring their number one driver really hurts them at times.

It was amusing watching the mental gymnastics from the commentary team though, that Verstappen gifting Perez a position to help the race for P2 would definitely be the right thing to do, but Sainz gifting Leclerc a position to help the race for P2 would definitely be the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭thefa

I think Brundle mentioned Monaco too if I heard right. Struggling with the idea though as to why Perez would want to settle to being only third at the grid. If he has title ambitions at the time, he’s locking in LeClerc for pole by crashing and another Ferrari into P2. So he’s going to boast about securing P3 behind (at the time) their constructor rivals? Relied on the strategy both from Ferrari and Red Bull to win it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Verstappen fan here. He was a disgrace today. Watched you for years attack absolutely everything Hamilton ever did and blow it out of all proportion. Were you the guy who accused Hamilton of attempted murder? So I know you can't be neutral about this.

But he was a disgrace. There's no defending what he did. Checo has helped him whenever it has been asked, Abu Dhabi last year a prime example. And the one occasion he was asked to help back and he didn't. It's either a team sport or its not. Lost every ounce of respect I had for Max after that.

And for what it's worth, Vettel was also out of order in Malaysia

• Advertisement

And the serious answer is, it is the exact same anthem, just when sung replace Queen with King and female pronouns for male ones. The tape they play on the podium is the exact same one they've been using for years.

I only pointed it out because Jordan put up the very patriotic angled photo of George in front of the Union Flag, it's the first British success since Lizzies passing and it's mad to think her reign predates the formation of the Formula 1 World Championship. Another random fact the only reason all UK coins in circulation at the moment feature the Queens Head is because she was on the throne when they converted to decimalisation, prior to that coins with Elizabeth, George, Edward et all would all have still been in circulation and would have remained <in my best Michael McIntyre faux Scottish accent > legal tender.

Back to Formula 1, not as consequential as last year but the race director has messed up the safety car restart procedure again. Once Norris's car was cleared Race Control only allowed the two Williams to unlap themselves, Tsnouda had also been lapped but wasn't included in the message that lapped cars could pass the safety car which lead to Yuki having to stay a lap down on everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement