Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage, it's kinda madness there hasn't been a BP game given how phenomenally successful - financial and critical - the film became.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A BP game was already announced. It's a crossover game with Black Panther and Captain America (as well as a soldier and a Dora Milage guard) set in WW2. I'm not sure if that's the 2nd of the three games announced, as that's a Skydance game, unless EA are publishing or something.

It's not a solo BP game, but I doubt EA would make one if that game is already underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm sure I commented on that game here when it was announced, and yet I had completely forgotten it existed. 😳

So realistically, who else could be getting the game treatment? Blade still needs some love, and he does have his own movie on the way, although I don't think that's as big a consideration these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Was actually watching Blade 2 today, it was on sky movies. Great fun. Perfect game material.

Had forgotten Norman Reedus of Walking dead / Death stranding fame was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree re: BP, it's a guaranteed cash cow. I'm not a fan of the film myself, I don't think it's this next coming of movie Christ that a lot of people seem to think. It was good, but far from the best in the MCU, but that's just my opinion. But it will sell really well.

Good that they're single player focussed. Should alleviate some concerns over MT's, but it's EA so no doubt they'll be there in some form. So Iron-Man, Cap 'n'Panther, and maybe a Thor game? Trying to think who else would have enough to make it a decent SP game. Hulk would be ok, but I don't think he could carry an entire game. Doubt they'll go human, has to be someone with powers so hardly Black Widow or Hawkeye. Can't be Spiderman. I think an Ant-Man game could be good. Could be really good actually now that I think more about it.

Yeah, was thinking about an Ant-Man game myself... like a modern day Minish Cap?

Just saw the headline on a different site that says the deal is for "at least three" Marvel games, so I assume that's leaving room open for sequels or further titles should certain sales targets be met. If the games sell, we could soon be as saturated with Disney IPs as streaming services and cinemas are. 🙄

Saturate away, just making them good! I've no problem going from amazing game to amazing game without enough time to play them all. But instead we get the odd amazing game, a few nice gems and mostly bloat, crap or money-grabbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think people are forgetting the sordid history of licensed videogame quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you mean the Glory Days of LJN or Ocean Software's fabulous film adaptations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I think people are optimistic because of the likes of Spider-Man but it’s very unlikely EA are going to match the work of a studio of the calibre of Insomniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd agree with that, but even if they took the right lessons from Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, they might be able to hit a decent level of quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Superhero games sound like the surest bet possible, but so many of the best-known superheroes are immensely boring to play as as they’re simply too powerful to build a compelling full-length video game around. Spider-Man works because of webslinging (a natural fit for video games), and Batman because as a hero he’s both uniquely resourceful and vulnerable.

There’s definitely other heroes who could work - Ant-Man, for example - but would require a lot of time and care to be properly realised. You need studios of the calibre of Insomniac to put in the proper due diligence to get it right… which, unfortunately with EA, is by no means a given. But we’ll see I guess.

Square Enix Montreal, which changed name to Onoma less than a month ago, has been shut down by Embracer Group.

After 20 years the (in)famous Dwarf Fortress is only now coming to Steam! Never actually played this game but I've read and heard enough about it that it has kinda seeped into my resting Gamer Consciousness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

€600 for PS VR2. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but worth more than the console itself? Hmmmmm….

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In a Dragons Den Scottish accent "I'm out".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kinda expected. If it can be used on PC as well, I think it would make the price easier to accept. But as a PS5 only peripheral, it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

As someone that was absolutely disgusted with the Dualsense Edge price, I think this one is relatively reasonable considering the impressive specs and what the competition costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kinda surprised it's not even more given Sony's current pricing trends.

• Advertisement

Definitely didn’t think it was going to be ‘cheap’ but they definitely have an uphill battle convincing people to buy it at that price. It’s certainly not outrageous or even unreasonable for the quality of tech involved, but it’s a big ask for anyone even remotely on the fence. Especially when something like the Quest 2 offers an ‘all in one’ entry point to VR at a lower price (even if the limits of a Quest are immediately apparently).

Personally it seems like one where it’s well worth waiting to see what the software support is looking like post launch, even allowing for the fact it might be hard to actually get one given current hardware trends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This won't work with previous psvr software either will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, the tracking tech is completely different. Expect some of the bigger games to get ported though like the already announced conversion for Resident Evil 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

We can always go 50/50. I have it Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday and you Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The lightbar/move + camera controller tracking used in the original headset is night and day compared the modern inside/out tracking of the PSVR2. They are effectively two completely different platforms. It is a serious drawback but from what I have read there is just no way of translating one to the other whilst guaranteeing uniform functionality across all PSVR titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

Maybe I’ll get one nearer the time the PSVR3s release date is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

As much as I love new tech, the psvr and oculus rift sitting in their boxes on a shelf are a good reminder to wait this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That would be a great idea if VR3 is backwards compatible with VR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's what APIs are for, all the game should care about is a x,y,z and 3 planes of rotation. 6 numbers per device that's it, it's not like he VR1 was some precision tech ahead of it's time.

• Advertisement

I'll be getting it day 1, but stuff like this is my world cup final kinda thing. Doesn't happen often so splashing is OK. And I really want it. It will solve my gripe of crap movement from VR1, so it's already ten times better.

Good to hear some games getting free "updates" if you own it on 1 already. Hopefully more to follow.

Now to book some time off work.

Advertisement