Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are definite advantages to physical media. Security of ownership, for one - there are films and games that I own on physical media that I wouldn't be able to watch or play easily otherwise. Digital ownership is often dependent on servers, storefronts etc... remaining open (see the Stadia situation recently, or the ongoing shutdown of the 3DS stores). They're often cheaper than digital copies, in particular with new releases. And as games increase in size, storage capacity for digital releases isn't infinite - on the Switch particularly you can fill up internal storage and SD cards pretty quickly, whereas you can easily have a ready-to-go collection of cartridge games with very little additional storage required.

But I am also extremely pro-digital. Digital releases are frequently more deeply discounted, the likes of Steam allow you to amass and manage huge collections easily, and digital-only devices like Xbox Series S, PS5 no-disc version and the Steam Deck undeniably have their place. They're naturally more convenient, once you have decent internet. And obviously less plastic is very much a positive, even if digital isn't exactly carbon neutral either given all the server requirements. I just think everyone's better off when both options are available.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Turns out it was all a dream in the end, Bobby Ewing stepping out of a shower style.

It was apparently a mistranslation somewhere along the way.

Phil Spencer seems to be saying the xcloud Dongle is not on the plans near term.

Yes all valid points.But at some point the demand is just not worth it. Maybe we are notnthere yet I don't know the statistics. Is it a case that they are trying to kill discs to force people to buy digital? I don't think so. Its just become so dated. When you think about it, having factories churning out discs and cases. Compared to uploading it to a handful of servers.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many games are now released on disc containing a full game and are in a playable state without needing significant download and a day one patch at the very least?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dysmantle

That's the only one that comes to mind that didn't require some (any?) update in the 100+ hours I put into it. Pretty sure it was perfect on release (on console anyway).

God of War, can't remember if that needed an update/day 1 but I can't recall encountering any issues during my initial playthrough. Game was just perfect in every way, so I may be overlooking some issues that are completely insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's still very much the norm, by most accounts! There are absolutely exceptions - like Call of Duty mentioned above, or the Halo Infinite one where the game wasn't on the disc. But even situations like Cyberpunk - where a game build was on the disc but clearly unfinished - are apparently quite the exception these days.

Now that doesn't mean there still won't be a day one patch that's very much worth downloading, but most games are perfectly playable straight from disc or cartridge.

And a short epilogue to the Bayonetta 3 saga. Even stranger is that she's based in the UK and still opted for this particular group!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not wildly surprising after watching part 4 of her original videos. Goes in about Jesus a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, she can get in the bin. Gonna buy 2 copies of Bayonetta now. 1 question, what's Bayonetta...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭eggy81

Is it genuinely good stuff. Not played the older games. Might jump in on this one.

You know when a bunch of Simpsons writers split off to make Futurama and suddenly the Simpsons was **** and Futurama was great? That’s kind of like what happened with Devil May Cry to Bayonetta - Bayonetta took everything great about DMC and refined it into this gloriously expressive, OTT action game.

I know a lot of people like the newer DMC games (especially 5) but IMO I’ve struggled to warm to those games since Bayonetta took the crown. A magnificent series, and looking forward to booting up 3 later :)

What Johnny Ultimate says basically. It's pretty much the best distillation of the character action game and a joyous celebration of videogames being batshit insane, unpretentious, balls to the wall fun instead of whatever the **** Red Dead Redemption 2 was trying to be. Oh yeah, a boredom simulator.

Isn't the argument that you jave to install the game and from that point on you're playing a digital version. The disc is only required for verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Witcher tv show confirmed season 4 for Netflix but Henry Cavill is leaving after season 3 and Liam Hemsworth will take up the role as Geralt. For **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Even though I have issues with the show and it's only really 'okay' at best, Cavill is the best part of it, and it was said recently that most of the writers on the show don't even like the source material. Cavill refused to do some things that weren't in keeping with Geralt or the books.

But replacing Cavill with Liam Hemsworth would be like Daredevil replacing Charlie Cox with.... Liam Hemsworth....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Henry Cavill was the only thing holding that show together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It wasn't that long ago he said he'd be happy to do 7 seasons of The Witcher. Was that back when he thought he was finished as Supes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

He's back to Superman now.

Nibel appears to be shutting down his twitter account and says he's moving on from game news. Can't share his tweet as he's protected his account.

Unless it's some sort of Halloween prank, he'll be missed. A very reputable source of gaming news who presented everything really well.

I’m never quite sure what to make of the Twitter ‘news aggregator’ accounts - there’s a couple of ones dealing in film and other things as well. It’s a strange little subsection of the platform, where the accounts don’t really do much beyond seemingly constantly reshare announcements, other people’s reporting, deals and press releases without any comment of their own. It seems like a full time job for them - although Wario64 makes it clear a lot of his stuff is affiliate based.

But to be fair Nibel has always been the most reliable, playful and decent of them. He has a lot more character too as he’s often chipping in underneath and joking away with other users. Still not really sure how he found the time for it (I know he tried Patreon recently) and a lot of the content was just sharing trailers or whatever (basically free PR for companies). But definitely would be a shame to lose that familiar, smiling avatar popping up in the feed!

Found on Reddit, his post on his Patreon going into greater detail. Basically yeah, he wasn't able to make enough from the Patreon to make it worthwhile.

“Today, I will move on from both Twitter and Patreon. There won't be any games coverage from me on either platform.

I've learned a lot in a short period of time.

Unfortunately, I was not able to create an interesting and sustainable Patreon which is evident in the number of Patrons stagnating during the first weekend and the first (of many) pledges being deleted during the first week. I have miscalculated the value of my Twitter activity and realize that it is nothing worth supporting by itself for the vast majority of people. It is not me who is popular, but it is that work that is useful. It is not valuable by itself, but a comfortable timesaver, and I get that now.

I was unable to create a reliable revenue stream, but I'm still happy I gave it a shot. And I want to thank everybody on here who gave me a shot as well. I'll look into refunds for recent payments, have already deactivated the billing and will likely close this page this week. The Discord server is obviously not coming either. It is what it is.

Then there is the elephant in the room which is the platform itself. I don't think that Twitter has yet experienced good leadership, and this trend will not change with Musk either. I do not trust the platform. I do not trust Musk and his seemingly infinite immaturity. I do not think Twitter will fall apart instantly but that it could die a slow death. Why waste more time?

Anyway, I guess that's it. The last text I'm writing here! Guess I have less staying power than a lettuce as well 💀

Farewell, Nibel

PS: the Twitter account will stay up so nobody can cause any issues with the handle, at least for now.”

He was a reliable aggregator of gaming news, but it's not something most people would have thrown money towards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not being smart,but who was this user? Haven't heard of them.

Just an anonymous Twitter user who pretty much exclusively aggregated gaming news. He had around half a million followers, and is quite warmly regarded by many in the journalism/dev industry.

You’d possibly know his distinctive anime avatar. I *think* it’s from or based on One Punch Man, but I don’t know the series well enough 😅

It's mob from mob psycho you god damned anti-weeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Electronic Arts Inc. will develop three video games inspired by Marvel comic book characters after forging a deal that gives the company access to the most popular entertainment franchise in the world.

The first game EA is making is based on Iron Man, a billionaire inventor and superhero who was the subject of one of the first hit Marvel movies, it announced last week. The Redwood City, California-based developer plans to create a single-player action-adventure game for PCs and consoles that features an original story based on Iron Man's history. EA didn't provide details about other characters it plans to use, or give a release timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I wonder if Blank Panther is one of the other titles... there have been rumours about a BP game for a while.

Advertisement