Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm RTD was never exactly stellar, or struck me as interested when it came to internal logic. I suppose it might have been a bit weird seeing Tennant in Whittaker's clothes.

Of course being the BBC, the regeneration is already on YouTUbe. No need to watch the episode now 'cos yeah, couldn't be bothered. Christ I'm not even sure this forum can justify itself anymore; been tempted to push for it to be rolled into overall TV forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,880 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm interested to see how they write Donna back in since her mind will explode if she sees or remembers anything about the Doctor.

Also isn't she a millionaire lottery winner as well since The Doctor gave her a wedding present of a winning lottery ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Admittedly, I haven't watched DW since the first half of JW's first series. Nothing wrong with her, but I just felt the writing and stories were fairly atrocious and I opted to wait for reviews to say if it got better etc, and then I'd jump back in. But that never really came. Last night's was the first episode I've watched since then.

I thought Jodie was great, as were Mandip and Sacha. The rest though was fairly awful. The story felt more about creating a pretty lightshow than anything meaningful. The appearance of the older doctors felt more like box-ticking than anything special. I would have expected something where they talk more about their own experience regenerating.

I also thought it was pretty weird that when regenerating into Tennant, the clothes changed, as that's never happened before to the best of my knowledge. The suit also looked a bit weird as it looked like a suit jacket but there's a bit where he holds out his arm and it has no sleeves, but it's also not a waistcoat either.

Still though, I'll tune in when DW returns next year. Hope RTD and Tennant can bring the show back to what it was. It's just a shame Jodie didn't get a better crack at it with better stories/writing. Even in last night's episode, there was no real "moment". No powerful speech, no genius plan, no "something only the Doctor could do".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would say Jodie did as good as she was ever going to. Any actor is only as good as the scripts they are given. Chris Chibnall's 'receipe' for what doctor who should be sadly wasn't what people wanted. Last new years special was the lowest watched DW episode of all 'new who' (since 2005 reboot)

Chibnall is not untalented by any means. He was just off the mark I think. Albeit, way of the mark. Even with Moffat and Capaldi's doctor, by the end, they were pulling in similar numbers to last new years special.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭swine

I actually thought Eve of the Daleks was one of his better offerings. The move to NYD is just the wrong fit for the program though.

I enjoyed Power of the Doctor more than I expected to. The plot was all over the place, at times I forgot why the characters were where they were (was the girl on the trail also the space squid thing?), Graham in the volcano for ... reasons, or what the goal was, but on a whole it was as good a send off for the Chibnall era as could be hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Doctor and Yaz able to walk around in a volcano with no protection? And why/how was Graham there? Did the Doctor give him psychic paper before he left?

As someone who only watched from the McGann film on some of the callbacks were lost on me. Like was Tegan always like that? And I looked up about her aunt and found the explanation for the shrunken people/cyberman.

Super-Yaz to the rescue. Though I guess the companions have played big enough roles previously after the Doctor has been seemingly defeated, like Martha touring the world. Though strange that with the number of companions she had, they all survived with no conditions.

It did feel like Chibnall was trying to get everything he touched on back in this episode.

I had heard Tennant was back but assumed was in a 2 Doctors meeting way, so was surprised by that ending. At least she had the sense to land somewhere and regenerate outside of the TARDIS.

So Kate was trying to negotiate the release of all her people, which was apparently agreed to but there was no sign of that happening and she surrendered anyway. And if they did release them, did they all die in the explosion? Must have been one really big cushion at the bottom of the shaft for a pensioner to fall so far without getting hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I did think the part of The Master was played very well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wonder if the regeneration happening on Durdle Door, an iconic landmark in Dorset was a nod to Broadchurch, as that was filmed and set in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really thought The Master's plan was going to span two timelines. What happened to the version that was imprisoned in UNIT, the cybermen broke him out and then what, did he go back and become Rasputin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

I immediately got Broadchurch vibes when she walked out of the Tardis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think they have made a point of showing the doctor outfit changing after showing that in the same episode that the outfit doesn't change during regeneration. There is also the time difference from when the doctor passes out and Jaz returns the other companions.

I think we will find out that is not truly the Doctor either the AI or the Master. Most likely the AI as it can change clothes.

Little hints like the Master getting a static shock off the Tardis and the burp in the Tardis by the Master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭corkie

Theories behind David Tennant's Doctor Who regeneration costume twist

And so it seems pretty certain that this is not a simple continuity error but rather a deliberate choice that could offer some clues as to what lies ahead in the future.

What exactly it might be hinting at is far less certain, but it seems very clear that something has gone terribly awry with this regeneration – and the most obvious interpretation is that some kind of external source is adversely affecting things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I am slightly suspicious that they are reintroducing Celestial Toymaker as they are going to reveal they found the missing episodes as part of the 60th anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do hope she comes back, Cat Tate was super opposite David.

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Catherine Tate was spotted during filming, acting alongside David Tennant - and Bernard Cribbens, in what's presumably his last screen role.

Expect some hand waving away over her inability to meet the doctor. Unless it's not the real doctor mind you.

The logo for the new series will look familiar to anyone of a certain vintage.

Also, looks like Disney+ has nabbed "broadcast" rights for all territories outside UK/IE.

Oh looks like a really cheap CBBC's logo.

Under a shared creative vision, they will deliver this quintessentially British show to future generations on an unprecedented scale with Disney+ as the exclusive home for new seasons of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland

Looks like Disney are putting money into it as well.

Also now stating it will return in late 2023 so I'm guessing this time next year and Christmas Day 2023.

And Tennant will now be 10th & 14th Doctor.

David Tennant will play the Fourteenth Doctor for three specials, before Ncuti Gatwa takes over the role as the Fifteenth Doctor over the festive season.

10th and 14th being different opens up a lot of questions.

Did we see anymore of the Girl in cabinet from the beginning of the episode.

Looks like she was beamed away by the cyber-men and not rescued?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That was the false image being project by the captured alien powering the cyberman moon thing.

"The Doctor discovers his TARDIS, hooked up to steer the planet through time and space, and learns that the Cybermasters’ stolen cargo is really a captive energy creature called a Quoronx (also sadly not allowed in Scrabble). Before it can be freed, the Doctor and Yaz are forced to pelt back into the TARDIS when Cybermasters start shooting." ~~

Which she sent free at the end.

"With the Earth saved, the Doctor sets about freeing the Quoronx and, ultimately, it’s this last act of kindness that kills her. The Master arrives and spitefully ensures the Doctor gets a face-full of the creature’s energy before he too collapses. Yaz braves the blasts to carry her back into the TARDIS, and the Doctor murmurs “Extended fam…” before passing out."

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-the-power-of-the-doctor-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That sucks. Ever since Doctor Who was taken off Netflix, Ireland has had no VPN free official streaming source as iPlayer is locked out, Britbox doesn't work here, and now it is returning to streaming on Disney+ they make a point to stress that Ireland won't be getting it. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hopefully we'll get a series drop at some point after broadcast.

I wonder if this means more shekels will be used in production, or if it's all just hitting the general BBC slush-pile. The show can do minor miracles with its budget, often grasping more than it can reach. But it can look like a dog's dinner sometimes.

With the Tories ending the BBC licence fee in 2027 and frezzing all funding for the next two years at the very least I doubt the BBC has much money to spend going forward.

That is why they have been going into partnership over the last few years with the big American channels HBO, AMC and now Disney.

Tories won't make the end of 2023, never mind 2027

These were signed off on at the start of the year, Labour will have bigger issues to correct than the BBC when they get into power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Going by the tvline article it seems November 2023 is the return date as that's when the Disney rights start. Does post production on this really take over a year to do?

I'm sure they could've squeezed a few episodes into their schedule before then.

• Advertisement

Nov 23 would be the 60th anniversary of the first episode in Nov 63!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Oh there was Cybermen! Oh and Daleks! But they were friends because they wanted to get the Doctor. Oh oh and then the Mater was there! Yeah and he was very annoyed! And and and there was a volcano yeah! And loads of Doctors and their companions! And Ace jumped off a building but then the building blew up - kaboom! Oh and you know what? You know what? Then then the Doctor gets a regeneration yeah but wow! Wow it was like the same Doctor again!! Mummy - I have an idea for new Doctor Who that I want to make when I grow up"- Chris Chibnall's dream journal, aged 16, 1988. Recovered in 2021 and adapted as a TV special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder when ncuti will take over...

Tenant is rumored to be filming 3 specials in total for next year. Most obvious choice is ncuti takes over at the end of them. Sure you see him wearing Tenants shirt and tie loosened.

Chibnall stated he wrote his last episode independent of who took over next but also stated "it fits in quite nicely" with what RTD does next. Personally, I think there would have been some cross over between both showrunners even if it was just a case of RTD knowing what would happen before he put pen to paper for his episodes.

So in the last episode we saw the old doctors all in the doctors head while she was in a limbo of sorts. Could ncuti be there too now? Rtd will have to explain why the 10th regenerated and a way to transition into ncuti. Could the tenth doctor back again be explained as an anomaly. He's in control but ncuti is in the limbo place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seeing as Jodie's clothes also "regenerated" into Tennants (something that didn't happen in the regeneration earlier in the show or, I think, ever in nuWho) I would thing something is very wrong with this regeneration, or it is not a regeneration at all and something else timey-wimey.

I'd say it's very likely something's wrong; it has kinda become tradition that each regeneration comes with a hangover of sorts. Kinda started with Tom Baker and has been this way ever since. Erratic behaviour, general disorientation and so on; or in Colin Baker's case, attempted murder.

If the Telegraph is to be believed (which, ya know, debatable), Disney are going to be injecting not just cash but will be co-producing the new seasons,; that RTD will still have creative control but the Mouse House will have some say in how it's made. All very curious and does make you wonder where this is headed.

The idea Disney now have a hand in yet another pop culture IP is kind a depressing.

It is understood that Disney will have a creative input in the series, and will also handle all distribution outside the UK, meaning it will stream worldwide on Disney +. The expected budgets involved in future series production are commercially sensitive, and have not been revealed.

The BBC will retain ultimate editorial control of future series, The Telegraph understands, so the tone and content of the show may not deviate dramatically from the canon of Doctor Who.

The public service broadcaster also retains the intellectual property rights to Doctor Who, so Disney will be unable to produce spin-offs of other material based on the concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

I was surprised Captain Jack didn’t make an appearance as well as Clara & Rose. They really threw everything at it

It leaves more questions than answers; I doubt Disney are simply offering the BBC a blank chequebook, and reads like they'll have some kind of say in the production. But then if RTD has full creative control, what say would they have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lets hope it is nothing like Miracle Day then.

Utter garbage from the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In fairness, 90% of Torchwood was tish regardless of where it was produced with a couple of exceptions (CoE, being the obvious one). How Chibnall got the hotseat on the mothership after the first 2 seasons of whatever OG Torchwood was still baffles me — Broadchurch wasn't that good as to offset it like.

• Advertisement

That's true. Children of Earth did a lot of heavy lifting regards Torchwood's lasting reputation. Season 1 was godawful, Season 2 marginally better. Never watched Miracle Day past the first episode TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I quite enjoyed Season 2 of Torchwood. Season 1 was godawful bar a couple of exceptions. Enjoyed the existential horror aspects of Miracle Day for the first few eps, but then it descended into silly season.

Only watched the first season of Jodie Whittaker's run. Was too bored to tune in after that. A shame as I wanted her to do well as the first female Doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Yes I noticed that about the regeneration too. Very timey wimme with a small touch of custard and fish fingers. I take the show as it comes now, pc and all that.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I can't remember who said Season 2 of Torchwood was a massive improvement over Season 1 without actually managing to be that good, but I always quite liked that as a review. Miracle Day was a decent concept absolutely cursed with 5 episodes too many. RTD legitimately ran out of things for Gwen to do, so she spends mid-season zipping back-and-forth across the Atlantic just to keep the character busy.

I remember thinking that despite Sarah Jane Adventures being the kids show and Torchwood being the adult show, some of the storylines on SJA were vastly more mature than TW. Aliens can't cure Alzheimers, Sarah Jane's best friend killed when they were teenagers, why kids like war games, all within the first season. Meanwhile get a sexy cyberman in a bikini on Torchwood.

How many episodes were there between last week and Flux, not seen anything in between those two. Jodie was a good Doctor, just let down by Chibnall. I hope she gets a part to play in the 60th, even if it's just a "No sir, all 15" kind of cameo.

Saw on Twitter 😅

Not sure about this tbh. It's not like Tennant was going to be shown wearing something really effeminate like a frilly frock or whatever.

That seems oversensitive on Davies's part; I had half presumed Whitaker's costume was chosen precisely because it wasn't overly feminine in the first place, with an eye towards both the regeneration - and cosplay. That both boys and girls, men and women could dress up as her. The trousers perhaps the most open a nod towards gender, but nothing so extreme that Tennant wearing it would have looked ludicrous.

So indeed it means it's going to be some glib bit of blather nonsense to explain the clothes change. Great start to the Messiah returning. Does seem apt that even in her final moments, the production couldn't commit to Whitaker's doctor.

But...didn't the Master end up in her clothes

Yes he did and proceed to change clothes after it, so what was she wearing after been returned?

• Advertisement
Advertisement