Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm RTD was never exactly stellar, or struck me as interested when it came to internal logic. I suppose it might have been a bit weird seeing Tennant in Whittaker's clothes.

Of course being the BBC, the regeneration is already on YouTUbe. No need to watch the episode now 'cos yeah, couldn't be bothered. Christ I'm not even sure this forum can justify itself anymore; been tempted to push for it to be rolled into overall TV forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm interested to see how they write Donna back in since her mind will explode if she sees or remembers anything about the Doctor.

Also isn't she a millionaire lottery winner as well since The Doctor gave her a wedding present of a winning lottery ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Admittedly, I haven't watched DW since the first half of JW's first series. Nothing wrong with her, but I just felt the writing and stories were fairly atrocious and I opted to wait for reviews to say if it got better etc, and then I'd jump back in. But that never really came. Last night's was the first episode I've watched since then.

I thought Jodie was great, as were Mandip and Sacha. The rest though was fairly awful. The story felt more about creating a pretty lightshow than anything meaningful. The appearance of the older doctors felt more like box-ticking than anything special. I would have expected something where they talk more about their own experience regenerating.

I also thought it was pretty weird that when regenerating into Tennant, the clothes changed, as that's never happened before to the best of my knowledge. The suit also looked a bit weird as it looked like a suit jacket but there's a bit where he holds out his arm and it has no sleeves, but it's also not a waistcoat either.

Still though, I'll tune in when DW returns next year. Hope RTD and Tennant can bring the show back to what it was. It's just a shame Jodie didn't get a better crack at it with better stories/writing. Even in last night's episode, there was no real "moment". No powerful speech, no genius plan, no "something only the Doctor could do".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would say Jodie did as good as she was ever going to. Any actor is only as good as the scripts they are given. Chris Chibnall's 'receipe' for what doctor who should be sadly wasn't what people wanted. Last new years special was the lowest watched DW episode of all 'new who' (since 2005 reboot)

Chibnall is not untalented by any means. He was just off the mark I think. Albeit, way of the mark. Even with Moffat and Capaldi's doctor, by the end, they were pulling in similar numbers to last new years special.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

I actually thought Eve of the Daleks was one of his better offerings. The move to NYD is just the wrong fit for the program though.

I enjoyed Power of the Doctor more than I expected to. The plot was all over the place, at times I forgot why the characters were where they were (was the girl on the trail also the space squid thing?), Graham in the volcano for ... reasons, or what the goal was, but on a whole it was as good a send off for the Chibnall era as could be hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Doctor and Yaz able to walk around in a volcano with no protection? And why/how was Graham there? Did the Doctor give him psychic paper before he left?

As someone who only watched from the McGann film on some of the callbacks were lost on me. Like was Tegan always like that? And I looked up about her aunt and found the explanation for the shrunken people/cyberman.

Super-Yaz to the rescue. Though I guess the companions have played big enough roles previously after the Doctor has been seemingly defeated, like Martha touring the world. Though strange that with the number of companions she had, they all survived with no conditions.

It did feel like Chibnall was trying to get everything he touched on back in this episode.

I had heard Tennant was back but assumed was in a 2 Doctors meeting way, so was surprised by that ending. At least she had the sense to land somewhere and regenerate outside of the TARDIS.

So Kate was trying to negotiate the release of all her people, which was apparently agreed to but there was no sign of that happening and she surrendered anyway. And if they did release them, did they all die in the explosion? Must have been one really big cushion at the bottom of the shaft for a pensioner to fall so far without getting hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I did think the part of The Master was played very well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wonder if the regeneration happening on Durdle Door, an iconic landmark in Dorset was a nod to Broadchurch, as that was filmed and set in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really thought The Master's plan was going to span two timelines. What happened to the version that was imprisoned in UNIT, the cybermen broke him out and then what, did he go back and become Rasputin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

I immediately got Broadchurch vibes when she walked out of the Tardis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think they have made a point of showing the doctor outfit changing after showing that in the same episode that the outfit doesn't change during regeneration. There is also the time difference from when the doctor passes out and Jaz returns the other companions.

I think we will find out that is not truly the Doctor either the AI or the Master. Most likely the AI as it can change clothes.

Little hints like the Master getting a static shock off the Tardis and the burp in the Tardis by the Master.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭corkie

Theories behind David Tennant's Doctor Who regeneration costume twist

And so it seems pretty certain that this is not a simple continuity error but rather a deliberate choice that could offer some clues as to what lies ahead in the future.

What exactly it might be hinting at is far less certain, but it seems very clear that something has gone terribly awry with this regeneration – and the most obvious interpretation is that some kind of external source is adversely affecting things.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I am slightly suspicious that they are reintroducing Celestial Toymaker as they are going to reveal they found the missing episodes as part of the 60th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do hope she comes back, Cat Tate was super opposite David.

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Catherine Tate was spotted during filming, acting alongside David Tennant - and Bernard Cribbens, in what's presumably his last screen role.

Expect some hand waving away over her inability to meet the doctor. Unless it's not the real doctor mind you.

The logo for the new series will look familiar to anyone of a certain vintage.

Also, looks like Disney+ has nabbed "broadcast" rights for all territories outside UK/IE.

Oh looks like a really cheap CBBC's logo.

Under a shared creative vision, they will deliver this quintessentially British show to future generations on an unprecedented scale with Disney+ as the exclusive home for new seasons of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland

Looks like Disney are putting money into it as well.

Also now stating it will return in late 2023 so I'm guessing this time next year and Christmas Day 2023.

And Tennant will now be 10th & 14th Doctor.

David Tennant will play the Fourteenth Doctor for three specials, before Ncuti Gatwa takes over the role as the Fifteenth Doctor over the festive season.

10th and 14th being different opens up a lot of questions.

Did we see anymore of the Girl in cabinet from the beginning of the episode.

Looks like she was beamed away by the cyber-men and not rescued?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That was the false image being project by the captured alien powering the cyberman moon thing.

"The Doctor discovers his TARDIS, hooked up to steer the planet through time and space, and learns that the Cybermasters’ stolen cargo is really a captive energy creature called a Quoronx (also sadly not allowed in Scrabble). Before it can be freed, the Doctor and Yaz are forced to pelt back into the TARDIS when Cybermasters start shooting." ~~

Which she sent free at the end.

"With the Earth saved, the Doctor sets about freeing the Quoronx and, ultimately, it’s this last act of kindness that kills her. The Master arrives and spitefully ensures the Doctor gets a face-full of the creature’s energy before he too collapses. Yaz braves the blasts to carry her back into the TARDIS, and the Doctor murmurs “Extended fam…” before passing out."

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-the-power-of-the-doctor-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That sucks. Ever since Doctor Who was taken off Netflix, Ireland has had no VPN free official streaming source as iPlayer is locked out, Britbox doesn't work here, and now it is returning to streaming on Disney+ they make a point to stress that Ireland won't be getting it. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hopefully we'll get a series drop at some point after broadcast.

I wonder if this means more shekels will be used in production, or if it's all just hitting the general BBC slush-pile. The show can do minor miracles with its budget, often grasping more than it can reach. But it can look like a dog's dinner sometimes.

With the Tories ending the BBC licence fee in 2027 and frezzing all funding for the next two years at the very least I doubt the BBC has much money to spend going forward.

That is why they have been going into partnership over the last few years with the big American channels HBO, AMC and now Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tories won't make the end of 2023, never mind 2027

These were signed off on at the start of the year, Labour will have bigger issues to correct than the BBC when they get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Going by the tvline article it seems November 2023 is the return date as that's when the Disney rights start. Does post production on this really take over a year to do?

I'm sure they could've squeezed a few episodes into their schedule before then.

• Advertisement

Nov 23 would be the 60th anniversary of the first episode in Nov 63!

Advertisement